Confessions of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri May 15, 2009 7:10 am

I'm doing a lot of confessing lately.

Anyways.

Everytime we spend more than $50 on some unnecessary household purchase, I get a little resentful, thinking that is money he could be saving towards buying me a ring.

I am not proud of this. At all.

It's just a) he's really not great with money saving and doesn't exactly make a lot, and b) I don't know if he's thinking ahead or saving for that or not, and c) I really do want a pretty ring someday (note, the operative word here is "pretty," not "expensive"). And not too far off into the future, either.

ETA: And I'm really annoyed that this post started a new page, which means I will have to see it evertime I open this thread until enough confessions have been made that I can forget it.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri May 15, 2009 2:36 pm

I know, I know, I'm afraid of everything but this XKCD is a big one for me, though I would find it preferable to be left than to have someone stay with me and wishing they were elsewhere with someone else. I should just stop saying I hate guys or that they're stupid and just say that they scare me.
Confession: I spent several minutes trying to decide which stick figure girl I would choose.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:48 pm

That was so wrong.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri May 15, 2009 6:16 pm

I resent people for things that aren't their fault and which no one can really fix.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Bowen
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Bowen » Sun May 17, 2009 11:55 pm

I called my brother an ass today in front of his kids because he was being a bit rude to his wife. I probably should have done it privately, but I wanted the family to know that I didn't approve of how he was acting.
-Bowen

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Tue May 19, 2009 6:53 am

But somehow, this doesn't hurt as much as it did three years ago. It's not that raw, searing pain. Granted, I felt quite suicidal at several points during the day, but the pain is, in a way, dulled, once removed. Like it's not really my pain anymore.

That, of course, might only be because of the other one. Now, the other one... if I actually had to deal with that, I could conceivably find myself plunging all the way to the bottom.

Thankfully, I've been spared that torture.
The password is "guilty"

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue May 19, 2009 9:49 am

I'm hoping everyone no-shows so that I can finish studying the I/O psych workbook I have. And review someone's assessment results. I need way, way, way more time than I actually have these days.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu May 21, 2009 6:03 pm

Adam's review of Gone With the Wind, in which he quoted that one line that really did make me swoon from just reading it, sent me on my way to youtube to look for the clip (before he sent me an offline message with a link to it :P), which brought up related videos, one of which was for this one viewer's top 30 movie kisses. The music set to the 3 videos it took to show all the clips was Des'Ree's "Kissing You," from W.S.'s Romeo and Juliet *nostalgic, I-was-in-love-with-Leo-in-8th-grade-because-of-that-movie-and-part-of-me-still-is sigh* and is one of my favorite love songs of all time.

My confession is that I swooned, so to speak, 30 different times watching the videos on youtube, my lips -of their own accord- puckered and tingled a little throughout, I felt an ache somewhere in the general vicinity of my heart, you couldn't separate me from my pillow with the jaws of life as I was/am in a very cuddly mood, and I have watched many chick flicks since to try to, I don't know what...make myself sick of all the mush by overexposure. Not only is it not working, it's possibly making it worse.

My second confession is that I don't mind right now that I really am that pathetic, it's a good sort of suckiness, because I had one hell of a morning/early afternoon. *grin*

My third confession, not exactly related to the above, is that I thought Quinto's Spock (not the actor who played him but the character himself) was sexy, pointy ears, bad eyebrows, and bowl haircut and all. Especially when he gave into those pesky emotions and grinned.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:09 pm

My third confession, not exactly related to the above, is that I thought Quinto's Spock (not the actor who played him but the character himself) was sexy, pointy ears, bad eyebrows, and bowl haircut and all. Especially when he gave into those pesky emotions and grinned.

Actually, I just think Zachary Quinto is hot. His Sylar is the only kind of bad boy I've thought was attractive. Mmmmm.
-Kim

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu May 21, 2009 6:21 pm

In this picture, yes. (Have I mentioned I love glasses on men?) Honestly, I'm still mostly diggin' on him in Spock pictures versus Quinto pictures.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu May 21, 2009 7:02 pm

confession, when I mentioend that I might catch the train down to comiccon this year, my boss mentioned she might go this year because she wants to hang out with Zachary who she worked with on a stage production of Twelfth Night (I think a shakespeare stage play). To which I replied, "nice, we should all go out for drinks that night." :) to which she affably agreed. so if things go right I might meet Sylar. :D
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:40 pm

Uhm... if you meet him, Adam, I'm going to be SO JEALOUS! You should like, get an autograph on a napkin and mail it to me. kidding, kidding (mostly).

And, Alea, I agree... that's a really good picture.
-Kim

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat May 23, 2009 12:28 am

Having Hiphopopotamus/Rhymenoceros bumped in the "Funny Words" thread reminded me... It seems recently that nearly every time when one of my friends says something that's wrong or whatnot, someone starts quoting that rap. "Where'd you get that preposterous hypothesis?" and so on.

I also almost always respond to "this is delicious" (or any kind of expression of something tasting good) with "this is caketown!" Although usually it's just in my head.

After being around the internet for awhile, fewer and fewer things seem to phase you. I like to think I'm not put off by much anymore, but transhumanists still kinda freak me out.

Watching "Milk" renewed some of my hatred of Christianity (at last as it exists in the US), which isn't really fair.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sun May 24, 2009 2:30 pm

Not sure if this is more of a confession or a personal triumph --

We're finally taking down the Christmas tree.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun May 24, 2009 2:31 pm

:shock:
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sun May 24, 2009 5:46 pm

:oops:

:)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun May 24, 2009 5:53 pm

You know, if you had just waited one more month it would have officially been up early instead of up late.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun May 24, 2009 10:04 pm

There are blue Christmas ornaments hanging over our dining room table from two Christmases ago. There are red, burgundy, and cream ornaments hanging over our couch from this past Christmas.

I'm in charge of the decorations and I could take down the set over the table but I got my brother to put the ones up over the couch and only someone taller can get them down again.

I am not making a fuss to either take them down or have any of them taken down for me. :)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sat May 30, 2009 1:00 am

I just noticed (edit: err, I was told; but I guess being told made me notice?) that Alucard is Dracula backwards. I don't play Castlevania games or watch Hellsing or anything, but still. I've heard that name often enough for the past several years...

dgf hhw

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Sat May 30, 2009 11:54 am

I just noticed (edit: err, I was told; but I guess being told made me notice?) that Alucard is Dracula backwards. I don't play Castlevania games or watch Hellsing or anything, but still. I've heard that name often enough for the past several years...
Vampires always do this. They're very unimaginative.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat May 30, 2009 4:25 pm

It's actually a bit of a joke among me and my friends. I was reading online about a legacy of flame-wars among fan-subbers for Hellsing. Some of the subbers thought that his name was supposed to be "Arucard," and the others logically pointed out that his name was merely "Dracula" backwards. Flaming ensues.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sat May 30, 2009 4:32 pm

With "r" and "l" being interchangeable in Japanese, sometimes you just have to use some common sense.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Confessions » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:15 am

confession: I don't remember a time that someone began an IM with me on AIM. I only ever start conversations, and if I'm online and don't start something, AIM will idle for months. I don't see the point of logging on anymore.
The password is "guilty"

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:54 pm

Confession: I love Eminem's music. I even love Relapse.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Confessions » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:50 pm

Every time I read someone else posting as Confessions, especially if they're talking negatively about someone else, I try to figure out who could've wrote them, because otherwise I assume they're all about me.
The password is "guilty"

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:51 pm

Confession:
This is old and on the long side, just to warn you. My former best friend (who sided with my abuser over me) had been abused herself in the past. In one case, it went on for over a year and even though I had met the guy once, I didn't find out about it until years later. After everything went down between us, I became obsessed with finding this guy and somehow avenging her. In my traumatized mind, I thought that by sticking up for her and doing what she hadn't done for me, I would feel better. I found out his full name, where he lived, what kind of car he drove and his license plate. I drove to his apartment complex and staked out his mailbox. The most sane thing I planned was writing an anonymous letter telling him that I knew what he had done and that if he ever went near her again, I would make sure he went to prison. The more crazy daydreams consisted of finding him and saying the same thing in person (ending with a kick to the crotch), and keying his car and/or slashing his tires. I never did anything and I never will. I was trying to prove my loyalty to someone who didn't want it and anyway, she wouldn't have wanted me to do anything to him. But still, whenever I go into the Starbucks that I know he used to frequent, I take a quick look around. I have no idea if I would even recognize him or what I would do or say, if anything. But yeah, I just wanted to get this off my chest.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:58 pm

Recent conversations have revealed that I may, in fact, use the shot glasses in our apartment more than I use regular glasses. Maybe not much by, since I don't use either very much, but I think it's probable that the shot-to-normal usage ratio is more than 1.

dgf hhw

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:07 pm

For the first time in my life, I can't remember if I did something important (put the mortgage bill in the mail). I wrote the check, put it in an envelope, addressed it and put a stamp on it. I know I brought it in the car with me with a couple other papers yesterday morning but I have no recollection of stopping at the mailbox to actually *put* it in the box. I assumed I had forgotten to but when I looked in my car this morning, I couldn't find it anywhere. And the only thing I can think to do about it, is wait to see if the bank cashes it (fortunately it's a local bank). I really need to get off of this new migraine preventative drug because it is totally making me dumb and it's freaking me out.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:20 pm

You could save yourself the stamp (and the stress) if you just auto-paid it. Just sayin :)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:23 pm

I pay everything else online but this is a small, local bank that doesn't have online billing (it's not MY bank, just has my mortgage). I mean, it's in the same zip code as me and only has one branch...it's really small. And it is not usually EVER a problem. This is the first time in my 14 years of paying bills that I have had this happen (and I don't know for sure that I didn't send it). I never pay anything late, ever. I plan on calling them the day it is due and if they haven't received it, then I can just go in person and pay it.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:12 pm

As I was leaving the store, my mom looked to the west and saw:

and said "I wonder what's on fire..."

My confession is that, naturally, I start humming "Danger! High Voltage," specifically the "Don't you want to know how we keep starting fires?" part.

I curse both zero and Jeff.

My other confession is that I was bad today and spent money, after all my lectures to myself about needing to save and pay things off. The only reason I'm not returning the things as we speak is because they're for work and it was (just barely) less than $20. Okay, also because it's colorful and there's glitter involved.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:08 am

Today's xkcd pretty well describes my weekend.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:47 pm

Confession: I make jokes about how messy my desk is at work, but I'm actually sort of embarrassed by it.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:27 pm

Confession: I find it really hard to empathize with my girlfriend's sick grandmother because I'm caught up with how my girlfriend's treating me because of it.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:36 am

I sometimes feel like everyone I see is secretly judging me.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Return to “Milagre Town Square”