Confessions of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:02 pm

*hugs for the 20-something momma*
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:52 pm

it took me forever to figure out who HBC was... I kept thinking "hit by car? who is hit by car?"
-Kim

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:09 pm

Now this is just silly but here we are: I hate the idea of the old-fashioned petnames* -sugar, baby, etc.- but from females or emotionally detached males (i.e. no one for whom I would emotionally miscontrue the usage of), I really like being called sweetie (or variations of) or love.

Two patrons called me "sweetie" earlier; that was a small happy.

*Because they're unoriginal/impersonal and mostly god-awful; I, who likes corny, think that, which is saying something.

I also like being called ma'am by men, which happens quite a bit being in a militaryx2 town. I pretend it means they are polite and not that they are indoctrinated to do so.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:23 pm

I also like being called ma'am by men
Women: take note. I'm frequently annoyed by those women who insist on making a scene when they're called ma'am. We're not trying to insinuate that you're old. I promise.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:32 pm

That's funny, because I was thinking that ma'am tends to be more for older women or women in positions of authority. For younger women I'm more likely to use "miss".

I used to really appreciate being called "sir", but now that I'm a teacher I get it enough.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:21 pm

It's not about feeling old so much. Personally, I just hate the sound (literally) of the word "ma'am." I find it grating. Miss is fine, but will become inappropriate for my age shortly. I wish there was something as elegant as Sir for the ladies.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:52 pm

There are SUCH regional variations on the appropriateness of "ma'am." This was very confusing for me as a child of a North Dakota mother who was growing up in West Texas. In school, I was being taught about ma'am being a sign of respect and if someone got in trouble, it had better be "yes, sir," or "yes, ma'am." Well, my mother got mad at me one time pretty soon after we had moved there. Seeing that I was in deep s***, I said, "yes, ma'am" to something or other, as I had learned in school was the right and appropriate thing to do.

Yeah.

Wow.

She pretty much exploded. Which is very unlike her. She thought I was being sarcastic. She damn sure did not see it as the sign of sincere and respectful penitence I was intending.

Anyhow, having grown up in West Texas, where boys from the age of three on up are firmly drilled in the duty of holding open doors, I was first called ma'am at the age of 15. When I was working at 7-11 at the age of 18, most people called me ma'am.

On the other hand, I hate "Miss." The only exception was that my Grandfather in New York would mail me birthday cards addressed to "Miss Kirsten Lastname," and that was nice, but that's it.

~~~
Oh, and I also get the warm fuzzies when some random stranger calls me by a generic pet name.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Borommakot_15
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Borommakot_15 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:54 pm

I have called nearly everyone (of nearly every age) Sir or Ma'am, since I was 8.

More than 10 years before I joined the military.

I also have the bad habit of calling any female I know decently well 'Sweetie', and I worry from time to time that I will offend someone by doing so.
PWeb 2.0 Join Date:
October 19 2002, 08:01

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:36 pm

When I worked in a call center and it is difficult to determine age, relationships status, or anything else over the phone, I found that "ma'am" was the best non-determinate title to assign to any female that called in. I never got a complaint, to my knowledge, and I always scored really high on customer satisfaction. This call center mostly took calls from the west coast, but I talked to people in North Carolina and Florida often enough, so we got a pretty good sample size.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:26 pm

it took me forever to figure out who HBC was... I kept thinking "hit by car? who is hit by car?"
Sometimes I feel like I've been hit by a car. Mostly I just get hit by people.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:17 am

Apparently Pixar is on a mission to make sure my tear ducts get plenty of exercise. Last night I was reduced to a puddle of tears by WALL*E. Not nearly so much as UP, from which I have yet to fully recover, but MAN. It was some serious bawling.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Whenever someone says they are going to be getting a facial, my first thought is of (warning: NSFW Wikipedia link) this kind of facial, not (warning: Another Wikipedia link) this kind. My brain has problems with playing in the gutter, it seems.
Last edited by Wil on Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:30 pm

You might want to at least put a warning on that first link. Even though most of us can probably guess what it leads to, there are kids here, and some people may be surfing at work or school.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:43 am

confession: I've spent way too much money on the criterion dvd sale at barnes and noble, particularly today. I thought I was down to two final purchases, but Instead spent nearly four times what I meant to today. by the end of the sale I'll have spent about double what I'd planned/budgeted.

I have got some damn amazing bargains though. Still I sort of feel that the crazy purchasing, so rare for me, but in line with my ocd tendancies, is related to the breakup, and various insecurities and depression and other things still malingering in mine headspace.

but yeah, self worth is for other people. the f****** night/junior editor I'm working with is 24. Goddammit. He thought I was 24. I'll be 27 in a month. makes me realize just how wasted the last year and a half have been. I'm calling craig tomorrow. I may have another year of waste in front of me, or maybe I can swing something better. we shall see I suppose. all stems from not really wanting to confront a career in editing.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:59 am

I've only been at work 2 hours, and I'm already bored! LOL, but since it's Friday, I don't plan to look for anything to do prior to me HR training in 30 minutes.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:55 am

My confession: I hate doing many of the things I love to do. Like sports and academics. I love succeeding, I'm just to lazy to want to work for the succeeding part.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:22 am

Tara was scared of a thunderstorm, and I turn around and see him holding her protectively and telling her that it's going to be okay, it's just a little thunder, he's right here, etc., etc.
Sexy as hell.
I didn't find the Tara incident sexy, precisely, although it was rather heart-melting. However, hearing him talk about the little kid down at the apartment pool that made him catch her over and over and over and over again seriously was. Rawr. I might even force myself to go to the pool this weekend in hopes of getting to watch.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Sometimes, the idea that I'm getting married scares the hell out of me.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:45 pm

I'm moving tomorrow. I'm terrified.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:16 pm

I take it to California? Bay area?

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:44 pm

You. are. normal.

Whenever I got freaked out, I asked myself if I ever thought I'd be more ready. When the answer was "no", I knew I may as well get it over with now, then. ;)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:46 pm

I hear you.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:00 am

I. like. country. music.

What happened to me?
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:56 am

I went to the farmer's market this morning, and I bought everything I needed to be healthy and well fed...

Green tomatoes, green beans, yellow beans, banana peppers, bell peppers, peas, 2 things of spinach, cucumbers, baby cucumbers (for pickles!), cherry tomatoes... Plus a marinade, salsa, and dutch apple cinnamon bread.

Guess which item I made lunch? Fresh dutch apple cinnamon bread.

Dammit. LOL. It's SOOOOO good!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:00 pm

I didn't see any dutch apple cinnamon bread at MY farmers market this morning! Which one do you go to, Nic?
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:10 pm

I didn't see any dutch apple cinnamon bread at MY farmers market this morning! Which one do you go to, Nic?
I was lazy about driving and just went to the little one here in Lakeville. I stayed up too late last night! I'll do Saint Paul next week, probably, though :) I'm dying for some more eggplant hummus.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:38 pm

I just had a conversation with my cat. I'm fairly certain that puts me on a bad path towards becoming a cat lady, LOL

For those curious, it went something like "Mommy loves the kitty, but she's given her two hours of attention already! She needs to take out the garbage, start prepping dinner, and do laundry. And honestly, she wants to go tanning before it gets too late. So can the kitty please stop crying when mommy moves?"

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:52 pm

I'm dying for some more eggplant hummus.
You mean baba ganouj?

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:09 pm

Confession: I kind of want to reread EverWorld, but I'm horrible about embarrassment at checking out teen novels and such. I need to man up.

Also, I may have brought this up before, but seriously, brain, decide if Maggie Gyllenhaal is hot or not. Sheesh. I suppose that belongs under Dear You, but it's half a confession: I can't decide if she's attractive.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:25 pm

I take it to California? Bay area?
Nope, SoCal. But if you PM me your info, I can send you some almond brittle in mid-August. Hot dogs might be kind of hard. :P

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Also, I may have brought this up before, but seriously, brain, decide if Maggie Gyllenhaal is hot or not. Sheesh. I suppose that belongs under Dear You, but it's half a confession: I can't decide if she's attractive.
I think she's attractive. I like girl-next-door types like her.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Hot dogs might be kind of hard. :P
I think you might have just broke his heart! : P
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:08 am

I feel very odd when I see a news story about some tech thing or another, and one of the people involved is someone I knew in high school or college. Or I suppose it's whenever I realize that they're working on something cool; but so far that realization only seems to come via news articles.

I guess on some level it's kinda cool because if they become famous or whatever I can say I know them, but mostly I get bothered by the "what if"... they are in a way demonstrating something that I very well could have done myself, had I gone in that direction back during school. I don't regret my own path, but I do of course wonder at times what it would be like if I had been a part of those other projects. And when I see stuff like that, well, it looks nice.

Life is annoyingly savestateless. As Deus Ex has most recently demonstrated (as have many prior games), I tend to try to explore all possibilities to see what happens. I need to get out of that habit...
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:48 am

I'm dying for some more eggplant hummus.
You mean baba ganouj?
That was my first question I asked the vendor! But nope, it's legitimate chickpeas, but just with chunks of eggplant blended in.

It's DELICIOUS!

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:19 am

I've been spending ridiculous amounts of time browsing TV tropes and contriving how each trope I find appears in my own life. Well, at least the ones that aren't totally crazy.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “Milagre Town Square”