Confessions of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Valentine
Soldier
Soldier
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Valentine » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:04 pm

Confession: I love the gifts my ex-boyfriend gave me for christmas. It's just something little, but they're both things that mean a lot to me..
Too bad he's a jerk.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:24 am

When I first saw "Hatrack" I said it in my head as "ha-track". It took me a while to notice that it's the same as just a "hat rack", and now I can't stop saying it like that...
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:47 am

When I first saw "Hatrack" I said it in my head as "ha-track". It took me a while to notice that it's the same as just a "hat rack", and now I can't stop saying it like that...
I did the same thing, but I eventuallly learned it as hat-rack.

confession: I almost always hit edit instead of quote, hopefully I'll notice before I edit someone's post instead of quoting it and click back. :P
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:49 am

I am drunk. I am 20 years, 3 months, and 17 days and I am drunk. Well, not really. I think I am just beyond tipsy and buzzed, but below drunk. I kind of like it. I'm just kind of worried about the downswing. I've had a large glass of Kahluah and Milk, and then a glass of Cranberry Juice and Vodka (cheap). Working on my second glass right now. Either way, I see why people like being drunk. I love you all, by the way. I mean that. I know at times I'm a total ass, and I know that, but I hope you all forgive me for it. You guys are great, and supportive. I wish you all the best in life. You guys are amazingly supportive, even to this ass. :)

Also, I'd like to make some notes. I'm very happy. I wonder how I'll be tomorrow. It feels kind of like a dream as I drink. Slowly, I feel like drinking more. I'm playing Halo 3, and I don't give a s*** about anything at all. I wish she was online, but on the other hand I don't, because I know that if she were I would probably appear worse. My body feels weird, and I'm slowly losing balance. Everything is f****** hilarious. Also, it surprises me how long it takes for alcohol to absorb, as I'm drinking very little at this point and I'm getting worse. I hope I don't feel like ass tomorrow.

Anyways, as I said, you guys are awesome. Especially Gravity Defier. I had a dream about you last night. Yep, I did. It wasn't <THAT> kind of dream, a JEBUS dream, but it was good. You are an awesome person. :)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:36 am

So did I and I actually still usually pronounce it wrong when I say it out loud just because I like the way it sounds even though I know better.

I wish alcohol had that kind of effect on me. It just makes me dizzy and have to pee a lot. I guess that's why I don't drink.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:30 pm

It is, and will always be, ha-track in my mind :P

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:47 pm

confession: I almost always hit edit instead of quote, hopefully I'll notice before I edit someone's post instead of quoting it and click back. :P
Me too!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:07 pm

Confession: It just dawned on me that it could actually be "Hat Rack" as in a rack for one's hats. Which I find rather odd, considering the fact that I've pronounced it both ha-track and hat-rack.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:05 am

So did I and I actually still usually pronounce it wrong when I say it out loud just because I like the way it sounds even though I know better.
Erm, which was is correct?

dgf hhw

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:26 am

Ha-track is correct, duh. What other way is there to pronounce it?
The enemy's fly is down.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:21 pm

I'm pretty sure that hat-rack is the correct way, though by the time I found that out I was too used to saying it as ha-track.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:11 am

Confession, I'm not entirely sure why the posting spree, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Not that there's anything wrong with that (at least that's what she said).

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:19 am

Confession: I've begun to resent my nieces coming to visit for weeks at a time because their father always sneaks out unannounced and I get stuck watching them. I feel like a major bitch for that; it's not their fault and I love them dearly. I'm just not ready to dedicate so much of my time to little people...which is why I'm not a mother.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:08 am

Confession: I feel that I have contributed to the great bumping spree of Dec 08, even though I was late.

Confession: It makes me sad that I am still not a toon leader, not because I need that post count, but because I don't really feel I contributed to this version of the forum.

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:57 pm

Confession: I couldn't tell you the year in which pretty much any movie was released, as I'm terrible with dates. I feel somewhat less credible when I can't tell someone for the life of me when something came out; or what won best picture in 1985; or even which came first, Roman Holiday or Sabrina.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:27 pm

Out of Africa and Roman Holiday (1951) Sabrina (1956) (might be 55 though) ;)

(ETA damn, I checked and it's 54, curses, I'm slipping. :-/)

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:45 pm

I don't know what you two are grumbling about, I've never even heard of either of those movies.
The enemy's fly is down.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:29 pm

Confession: I've been too overwhelmed by all the posts to catch up when I've tried to come here this week. Hope everyone had a great holiday!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:55 pm

Confession: I don't want to be 29. I've never really, really minded getting older before.

Confession: Sometimes I still think it's September or October because it just doesn't feel right that it's December already. The weather may have something to do with this.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:04 pm

Confession:
I woke up at nearly 6pm today. I was so guilt-ridden from this that I told my mom and dad that I'd been sick all day.
Rather than admit the truth, which was that I stayed up until almost 8am talking online, and then read for another couple hours before sleeping.
I had a lot to do today, too. But I've come to a decision - if I can't sleep by 3ish tonight, I will stay up all night. I have mountain dew chilling just in case.

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:32 pm

Confession:
I have not felt so unwelcome anywhere, in a really long time.
The password is "guilty"

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:40 am

I didn't know Terry Pratchett was a guy until I read the news snippet of him being knighted just a minute ago.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:11 am

confession, I didn't know Terry Pratchett was being knighted!

That deserves a big huzzah.

HUZZAH, Sir Terry!

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:07 pm

I didn't know Terry Pratchett was a guy until I read the news snippet of him being knighted just a minute ago.
Confession: I definitely read that as "being knifed."

Confession: I don't want to apply to colleges, even though I know I have to. My procrastination has already ruled out all of the Ivy League, MIT, and Stanford. I wasn't really wanting to attend any of those, but I kind of wanted to see if one of them would accept me, but...too late now. I hate having to make decisions. *panics*
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:22 pm

I went to a small, big name university. My classes averaged about 30 people (after the basic physics 101 kind of classes.)

I think I got a far better education in my field than I would have gotten at many other places. The faculty in our BIOE department were spectacular. We have the founding editor of the Journal of Tissue Engineering (which is the part of BIOE i find most interesting.)

Also, the opportunities available at a small, but prestigious, university are much better than elsewhere. I worked for several years in a research lab. I have a patent pending from my design project. I spent 2 months working in pediatric HIV/AIDS in Africa.
-Kim

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:57 pm

Confession: I went to UT because it had rolling admission, and I applied in mid-May, possibly even June.

Confession #2: Given my past history, I hate New Years. This is my first New Years alone since my first one with Cameron, when I was 19? 5 years ago..
And I'm utterly miserable.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:18 pm

Confession: After reading the fan survey, I realized that I am kinda embarrassed by one of the other fandoms I participate in.

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:27 pm

Confession: I had an absolutely excellent new year's, quite possibly the best of my life (though it's very close with one other previous year)

Confession: Contextually, I feel that this is not something I should broadcast here
The password is "guilty"

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:02 am

damn, I missed Kimmie's post when I split the derailment into it's own thread. oh well I'll just edit it in as another quote at the top of the new topic. :-P

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:28 pm

Confession:

I am so utterly addled in my head over what I think about the ending of Bones, Season 3 (which I just watched) that I don't know quite what to do with myself. I'm very mad at a friend of mine for not being there when I called just now. Actually, I'm pretty sure he's not speaking to me for some other reason (of which I have NO idea, he's just that type), but this only bothers me now because I need someone to dissect this with.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:38 pm

*pats Kirsten*

I totally know how you feel. I still refuse to believe it.
-Kim

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:42 pm

*receives pats gratefully*

I know. I read some season 4 spoilers that sort of make it better but -- no, not really. It changes things, irrevocably, and that pisses me off. It's just --- arg. There wasn't enough build-up for it. I can't believe it.

(A thought that crossed my mind during the end of the episode, I must admit, was, "This is what becomes of grad students whose advisors walk out in the middle of their dissertation defense.")
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:47 pm

I still feel like the build up did a much better job of pointing to Sweets. And then since Eric Milligan (Zack) wanted to leave the show, they switched up the story line to get rid of him. It just felt like such a cop out.
-Kim

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:57 pm

Did he? I didn't know. What I read after sounded more like the show wanted to get rid of him.

But what you're saying would make sense. I mean, I thought it was Sweets.

I hoped it was Sweets, actually, because I absolutely HATE him. So I'd be okay with him being the psycho and getting booted off the show. It is SUCH an unrealistic portrait of therapy and pyschologists in general. It's like the whole point of the character is to find out how many violations of the ethics code they can have one character make. Gordon Gordon was bad enough, but I could still suspend disbelief - and he was cool enough - that I was okay with it. With Sweets, I cannot do that. My annoyance has been replaced with hostility because I see him as a usurper, now.

I hate having to put Zach on my ever-lengthening list of things I miss about the show. I'm going to go watch Season One again, I think, this weekend, and sulk.

Oh, right. A confession. I take this show way too seriously. The first time I saw the Grave Digger episode, I refused to go home by myself, I was that freaked out. (Another thing that pisses me off was how they didn't either 1) catch Gravedigger or 2) follow up on it.)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:06 pm

Oh my God! The Grave Digger thing totally bothered me too. I rewatched the episode right after I finished it to make sure I hadn't missed them catching him or something.
-Kim

Return to “Milagre Town Square”