Confessions of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:54 am

"why is everything so heavy in Bob? Is there something wrong with the Earth's gravitational pull?"
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:23 am

Sorry, zero, I understand the stress of both first apartment living (my big hatred wasn't the shopping, it was the cooking) and moving. It'll get better in no time.

Also -I can't help this- I found that cute in one of those typically capable guy suddenly seems overwhelmed to the point of helplessness ways. (Okay, so I mostly only see that in movies...) But I'll forget I thought it if you do.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:43 am

Also -I can't help this- I found that cute in one of those typically capable guy suddenly seems overwhelmed to the point of helplessness ways. (Okay, so I mostly only see that in movies...) But I'll forget I thought it if you do.
I've found my life has turned into one of those movies, only I'm not normally completely capable. But seriously, my roommate is amazing and can take care of anything and quite a nice change from the roommate that would leave half-eaten Otter Pops in the shower. She's lucky I don't mind being led around by the nose!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:52 pm

Who only eats half of an Otter Pop? Isn't that a sin or something?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:57 pm

"why is everything so heavy in Bob? Is there something wrong with the Earth's gravitational pull?"
Whenever I hear or say "heavy" in that context, I also think of BttF. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:05 pm

bttf is like the only franchise I don't have on DVD :( I'll probably get it on dvd though.

confession, bttf taught me my first swear word: bastard. And it got me in a hell of a lot of trouble (I was five).

confession. I love to cook (have since I was big enough to stir the chocolate chip cookie dough (threeish?) I'll post some pics of my latest concoctions when I get them developed. Usually sunday is my day to cook something elaborate, but I went out with friends last night for sushi. :)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:36 pm

Luet: I am... your density.

Confession: I've never heard of an Otter-pop before.
You don't suck. Moving is always scary and stressful, especially when it's your first real apartment! Stop worrying about whether it's heavy enough to post in bob. :P
I wasn't thinking of whether or not it was "heavy" enough. I seriously meant it more like "Confession: I suck". I've posted trivial things in Bob before; it's usually where I put stuff when I don't know where to put it.
Nope, sorry, etched in my memory forever. In my defense, it's not like it was unexpected. I was going to write something about my impending move terrifying me, but I never actually wrote about it.... until it actually happening kinda pushed me over the edge. And cooking might annoy me more if I had anything that actually required me to do anything I consider "cooking".

I think what may be bothering me more is that I hate accepting stuff from my roomates, when I don't think I'd be contributing enough back. Like, food, or rides. If I had a roomate that loved to cook stuff or something, I would be extremely bothered by eating stuff they made for me, even if they wanted to. That's not really the (specific) case here, but it works well as an example. I also came from so much farther away from the others, so I seem to have so much less.... stuff, for, like, communal use.

Edit: oh, and
but planning your menu and doing a grocery list makes things much faster
Hahahaha... hee hee. Hoo.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:20 am

*swoons*
I wouldn't have either except that my husband and his sister call them that. I think they are those regular, cheap, freezer pops.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:52 am

I wouldn't have either except that my husband and his sister call them that. I think they are those regular, cheap, freezer pops.
My family has always called them "Icies," but apparently everyone up here calls them Otter Pops.

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:24 pm

we call em popsicles

sounds like a pop/soda/coke situation. :)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:39 pm

*swoons*
:lol:

I haven't seen one of those since I lived in CA. I always called them popsicles but had heard them called Otter Pops on a fairly regular basis.

Confession: I want a pack of candy cigarettes but I'm too cheap to shell out for them.

Confession: I get cold when the temperature indoors drops below 80 in the day. Not the case at night, when it feels stiflingly hot and keeps me awake.

Confession: Although my natural clock would have me sleep in (1-2pm) and stay up late (3-4am), I prefer waking early (7-8am) and going to bed at a reasonable hour (11pm-12am) because I feel accomplished -even if I do nothing- and just have better thoughts in general. With that said, there's very little I hate more than being awake and out of bed before the sun is even up. (It's getting to that time of year where I'm starting to beat the sun in rising, meh)

Confession: It's quite possible that I'm just about the happiest I've been in the past 5 months thanks to Fall Out Boy announcing they will be releasing a new CD on Nov. 4th.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:40 pm

we call em popsicles
Popsicles are totally different! They come on a stick and such. These are... stick-less popsicles. Unless you also call them popsicles, in which case it is very similar to the "Coke" situation.

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:42 pm

yes we also call them popsicles. stick or no stick. Stick popsicles are the fancy kind rich folks have or you might get as a treat at a ballgame/fair etc.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:06 pm

With that said, there's very little I hate more than being awake and out of bed before the sun is even up. (It's getting to that time of year where I'm starting to beat the sun in rising, meh)
I used to hate that, but then I moved to Alaska. I've been up before sunrise since school started last week. Of course, that probably has more to do with how early my school is than how short the days are. In a couple months, I'd have to sleep past 10 to have the sun up before me, give or take.

We called them Mr. Freeze's when I lived in Idaho, but up here they are only known as Otter Pops. Popsicles have sticks.

Confession: Last night, while rereading my journal, it dawned on me that I still have the same personal issues I had 4 years ago. This bothers me.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:04 pm

My husband just informed me that Otter Pops is actually a brand name for those stickless ice pop thingies. The have some pretty funny names for each flavor. The company that makes Otter Pops also makes the brand that you usually see here, Fla-Vor-Ice, which leads me to believe that they sell the two products in different markets. That would explain why some of us have never heard of Otter Pops. I think we just called them ice pops or freezer pops. Generally, popsicles did refer to a product on a stick.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:14 pm

I used to hate that, but then I moved to Alaska.
I meant to say this before, but I must confess that I just find the idea of living in Alaska really cool. Even though I know most of the inhabited areas are probably just like other states (or Canadian provinces or whatever), I still can't shake the feeling.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:36 pm

I've been up before sunrise since school started last week. Of course, that probably has more to do with how early my school is than how short the days are. In a couple months, I'd have to sleep past 10 to have the sun up before me, give or take.
We started school at 7:12am, which I thought was early but in a good way. Until the sun stopped rising before me...

Have you had a winter in Alaska yet, or is this move newer than that? I ask because I'm curious if losing some quality sun time overall bothers you as much as I imagine it would bother me.

Sun is one reason why I think I'll be forever tied to AZ. I need it, for as long in a day as I can get it, throughout as much of the year as I can get it. (average of 360 days of sunshine a year where I'm from and heading back to) I wonder if I have SAD.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:59 pm

I've lived up here for 8 years. The dark really doesn't bother me that much, though around February I do get a little tired of it (but then it's almost normal again). My mother, however, hates it. I think it affects older people more than the young.

I think if I lived up past the Arctic Circle I'd probably go insane. They go weeks without seeing the sun.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Borommakot_15
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Borommakot_15 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:11 pm

Confession: I loved living In Fairbanks. Everywhere else that I have ever lived was too warm. Even Fairbanks was too warm in the summer. Jeans and sweatshirt at 30 below.. awesome.
PWeb 2.0 Join Date:
October 19 2002, 08:01

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:44 pm

*I don't know if I can be the mom tomorrow.*

My kids are slowly breaking down my defenses. I wasn't the mom I want to be today and I'm praying I can get out of my downward spiral.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:07 pm

Sun is one reason why I think I'll be forever tied to AZ. I need it, for as long in a day as I can get it, throughout as much of the year as I can get it. (average of 360 days of sunshine a year where I'm from and heading back to) I wonder if I have SAD.
I seem to be the opposite somehow; I've always found sunshine tiring, and at my most alertness/awake-ness in darkness. Maybe it's just the time of day rather than the sun.... or maybe I should move to Alaska.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:14 pm

Would you like to adopt zero, Shannon? There seems to be some suggestion that he's a vampire, but so long as you don't actually invite him in your home, you should be fine.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:54 pm

Isn't it kind of hard to adopt someone without letting them in your house? :P
But if he's a vampire like Edward, I might actually want him inside.

Confession: I haven't actually read Twilight yet. I just love Edward by default. If he isn't as spectacular as I'm imagining, I shall be very distraught.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:06 pm

Confession: I haven't actually read Twilight yet. I just love Edward by default. If he isn't as spectacular as I'm imagining, I shall be very distraught.
I am forced to quote a close friend: "Hey, once people start thinking that peeping toms are romantic, you can't trust them to slice their own bread."
-Kim

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:36 am

Bah, be creative. Pitch a tent in the yard or something. :P

I haven't read Twilight, either, and really, had no plans to ever do so or see the movie since I don't particularly like vampire stories (exception being the movie version of Interview With a Vampire). And then, on a whim, I went to youtube and watched the trailer. *sigh* Pattinson completely disarmed me of all my cynicism. The thing is, I don't really find him attractive (and didn't, at all, in HP as Cedric) but he does this crooked grin that is to die for after being told he doesn't scare the girl. Apparently, I'm a sucker for a good smile.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:45 pm

My husband just informed me that Otter Pops is actually a brand name for those stickless ice pop thingies. The have some pretty funny names for each flavor. The company that makes Otter Pops also makes the brand that you usually see here, Fla-Vor-Ice, which leads me to believe that they sell the two products in different markets. That would explain why some of us have never heard of Otter Pops. I think we just called them ice pops or freezer pops. Generally, popsicles did refer to a product on a stick.
Around here we call them "Freezies", but I think that's the brand name.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:04 pm

I wondered if those weren't the same thing...
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:15 am

Confession: I'm posting on pweb when I should really be sleeping. It's early morning, I just fed Ginny and I've gotten about 5 hours of sleep. But, I'm enjoying a few moments to surf the web and catch up a bit on a week of pweb.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:52 am

Confession (actually, "fun" fact): for some reason, I keep running into situations where it's "no pain, no gain". And a part of me starts favoring the "no pain" part. (Surgery being one of the situations)
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:20 am

I think I have a mild case of OCD. My newest reason for not calling anyone is due to the Call Times on my phone. If I just hold out for 6 more hours of incoming calls, it'll be exactly double that of outgoing calls...which is better than not being exactly double.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:29 am

It has been bothering me in recent weeks that, odds are, I will never be a 20-something mother. 30-something, maybe. 20-something? Not likely.

Nothing to speed up a biological clock like the discovery that virtually every female in your family hits menopause right before their 40s (or in their early 40s, latest.) I mean, if I were to have kids, I'd want to do it before my 40s, anyways. Still, though. Nothing like the pressure of an early deadline. Kind of.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:08 pm

I'm starting to think I won't ever be a twenty something father :( halfway there at 25 last week.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:27 pm

I'm starting to think I won't ever be a twenty something father :( halfway there at 25 last week.
You're only 25, locke? Wow. I really thought you were older then me. Crazy. Youngin.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:40 pm

I thought you were older than me, too :) Probably because you were a mod before I joined pweb, and I assumed all mods were older than me.

Anyways, five years is plenty of time.

One and a quarter years, when you're quite sure that for at least one more year you don't want to have to deal with any of it, on the other hand, is not plenty of time.

Yup. Thirties it shall be. Maybe. Actually, that's always kind of been the mental plan -- if kids, then kids at age 32, hopefully after I've got a license and am comfortably situated in a stable job. It's irrational that it bugs me. Totally due to familial pressure to get with the program and reproduce, already. And possibly a tiny bit due to internal pressure and also missing having small children to play pseudo-auntie with. But I'm ignoring that.

Unrelated Confession: I can never remember how to spell "license." No matter how I spell it, it always just looks wrong.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:34 pm

Confession: I need to have just one weekend that I can call good. Just one weekend where things go right, where I enjoy myself thoroughly, and where there's nothing BREAKING DAMNIT.

Confession: My credit card got lost/stolen this weekend. And by credit, I actually mean debit, though those two words are strikingly similar in definition down here. And by lost/stolen I mean they took it to Wal-mart on a $500 shopping spree...

Confession: If it wasn't for my relative success in my social life down here (see - actually getting one); I would be regretting my choice to come down. Not because it's bad or anything, just because Corporate is jerking us around - and phone calls just never seem to get things done the way going in in person does.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

Return to “Milagre Town Square”