Confessions of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:56 am

I recently had a fifteen minute conversation with two other people that consisted of nothing but out of context Monty Python quotes. And, yes, there were other people present who had no clue what the hell we were talking about and who got visibly annoyed. And I thoroughly enjoyed every damn second of it.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:49 pm

Idiotic post. Deleted.
Last edited by BonitoDeMadrid on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:29 pm

I've wasted a lot of time in the past two days just sitting in front of the computer, somehow under the impression that it will help get me through the equivalent amount of time once the internet is gone. Like I'll have soaked up internet access or something.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:27 pm

I think this user account is silly in that people shouldn't feel so guilty, so embarrassed, or feel as if they need to hide their already anonymous identities to people on an internet forum. If you write something to someone on this account, chances are you should just tell them what you are thinking. Too many people dancing around so many other people that nobody ever knows anything about anyone. Too many people would rather be ignorant of others thoughts than have to deal with others think. Happiness is ignorance, and this is pathetic.
The password is "guilty"

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:08 am

I think this user account is silly in that people shouldn't feel so guilty, so embarrassed, or feel as if they need to hide their already anonymous identities to people on an internet forum. If you write something to someone on this account, chances are you should just tell them what you are thinking. Too many people dancing around so many other people that nobody ever knows anything about anyone. Too many people would rather be ignorant of others thoughts than have to deal with others think. Happiness is ignorance, and this is pathetic.
There is a terrible bit of irony in not pointing this out with your own account. Even if there is a reasonably valid point buried in that mess, there's no need to be an ass while making it.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:45 pm

The irony is indeed stifling. Besides, what does it really matter?

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Confessions » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:38 pm

Confession: I wrote the Dear You post to you.

Confession: And I think the ensuing confusion as to who 'you' is, is humourous. dobie'd
The password is "guilty"

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:36 am

Confession: I seriously do lose respect for people who liked the DaVinci Code.

No, wait, that isn't really true. There are plenty of trashy, just-for-fun books that I enjoy. But I can recognize that they're trashy, just-for-fun. I seriously do lose respect for people who think that the DaVinci Code is well-written, real literature with a revolutionary take on theological questions.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:57 am

No, wait, that isn't really true. There are plenty of trashy, just-for-fun books that I enjoy. But I can recognize that they're trashy, just-for-fun. I seriously do lose respect for people who think that the DaVinci Code is well-written, real literature with a revolutionary take on theological questions.
I could not agree with you more. I'm so unnessesarily judgemental against the DaVinci Code.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:05 pm

I could not agree with you more. I'm so unnessesarily judgemental against the DaVinci Code.
Didn't you guys read the front? It's based on real facts! Isn't it obvious that the poor plot, characters and writing are a result of the church editing the manuscript to discredit his revolutionary findings?? no offense but I think you guys are being really naive.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:00 pm

I am so embarassed to admit that I've caught a particularly nasty strain of this literary judgmentalism. Mine has spread to everything that I deem as literary 'trash,' even the stuff that isn't necessarily all that trashy but has become mainstream, i.e. Grisham, Patterson... blah blah. And my rational self doesn't get it because I'm just glad to see people reading. Truly!

I mean, I watch crappy shows sometimes and I read stupid magazines and don't care if you pick up a book that is trite and predictable and unchallenging... and yet. There's that piece of me that will always lift its nose at someone reading a JD Robb book at the airport. And I just can't help it.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:07 pm

I am so embarassed to admit that I've caught a particularly nasty strain of this literary judgmentalism. Mine has spread to everything that I deem as literary 'trash,' even the stuff that isn't necessarily all that trashy but has become mainstream, i.e. Grisham, Patterson... blah blah. And my rational self doesn't get it because I'm just glad to see people reading. Truly!

I mean, I watch crappy shows sometimes and I read stupid magazines and don't care if you pick up a book that is trite and predictable and unchallenging... and yet. There's that piece of me that will always lift its nose at someone reading a JD Robb book at the airport. And I just can't help it.

I am TOTALLY guilty of this. What makes it worse behavior from me than from anyone else is that a lot of that "trash" is what fuels my pay check...
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:36 pm

... I do the same with Foucault.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:37 pm

Sometimes my compulsions scare me.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:06 pm

I am up to my eyeballs in problems.

I am slightly disappointed when someone post a news article on here and I've already read it.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:08 pm

Confession: It took me fifty pages before I remembered that I've already read Carpe Jugulum, and I didn't like it much, to boot.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Borommakot_15
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Borommakot_15 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:14 am

Confession: I take an odd pleasure from seeing a website Slashdotted.
PWeb 2.0 Join Date:
October 19 2002, 08:01

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:19 am

I'm scared to move. I'm scared of stupid things, like what if I get there and I can't find a place to park the Uhaul to move my stuff inside? I'm used to being independent and doing this on my own and I hate that I'm scared very much. It doesn't help to know that this is normal -- just makes me feel like I've become weak and common. A few years ago I lived in four states in less than a year and a half. What's happened?
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:33 pm

Confession: Sometimes, I feel both anti-social and anti-me (for being anti-social) at the same time. It is during those times that I don't know what to do with my life.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:36 pm

A bit delayed, but I'm going to jump on the "Me, Too!" train, as well.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Confessions » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:44 pm

Confession: I am too embarrassed about my absence to really return to pweb.
The password is "guilty"

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:17 am

Whoever you are, please don't let that keep you away. I was once absent from pweb for about a year (just wandered away, no particular reason) before finding my way back. Come on back...it doesn't matter how long it's been.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:41 pm

Indeed, what Nomi said. I was at best an absentee lurker for most of my college years, it's definitely cool to come back. :)
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:15 am

Confession: My default mode these days is Angry. The backup is Numb. I keep "faking it 'til I make it" with Happy or at least Okay.

Confession: I'm stealing this from a post Ali made on Hatrack (sorry for not making sure that was okay. I'll edit if you would like), about Wicked: "...all the sadness and pain and hurt with no bright moments. Not one thing ending well, just people in pain and people refusing to forgive."

I love, seek out even, books and movies that can be described this way. It's so close to how things feel when I'm home; it's comfortable, now. All the bad memories, and all the new ones being made.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:27 am

No worries! If I find others that are like that, I'll try and send them your way. Have you ever read "Villains By Necessity," by Eve Forward? It has a "happy" ending, but the protagonists are the bad guys trying to restore evil to the world after Good's definitive triumph. You might like it.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:58 pm

Confession: I'm twittering again.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Confessions » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:39 am

confession: there was an accident last night. something broke, now i have to go to pp to get it fixed. this post is enigmantic for a reason, i feel like i need to tell someone, but i don't want anyone to know what or why. i'm worried if this doesn't work, will he stay? i don't want to get my heart broken again, especially not because of something like this.
The password is "guilty"

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:32 pm

I hope I'm not over-stepping bounds...

The Plan B pill sells over the counter without a prescription at most pharmacies for between $30 and $50. It's effective when taken correctly and there are little to no side effects.

If this is irrelevant information, please feel free to disregard, and forgive me if I'm being intrusive.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Confessions » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:53 pm

that was the plan. i'm still a little worried, though, because there is still a 1 in 100 chance it won't work, at least according to the information i read. i'm probably just making it worse for myself by worrying over something that probably won't happen, but i can't help it. i frak out easily :P
The password is "guilty"

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Confessions » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:34 pm

So over the past couple of weeks, I have been hooking up with someone that is married. Her husband is in Iraq. I know I am not a good person for doing this, but it is a complicated situation. Let's just say that her husband sucks, without getting into too much detail.

I always put myself in these terrible situations, but this one has got to be the worst. I have always considered myself to be a decent and nice person. I'm starting to doubt myself.
The password is "guilty"

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:02 am

I really, really want to go to Comic Con someday. It's freaking amazing.
Connie Willis is going to be there this year. Connie Willis! My favouritist author ever. AND the cast and crew of Dr. Horrible, and Doctor Who and...everyone who's anyone in anything remotely cool (read:geeky).

One day. One day I will go.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 am

That would be so cool to have a pweb-con AT the ComicCon.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:09 pm

I just, JUST, five seconds ago, told my friend we should just go to San Diego. He doesn't want to. Jhonen Vasquez!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:16 pm

It's totally sold out for this year, as well as any hotel within a 100 miles, I'm guessing...

Does anyone from pweb live in/near San Diego? Cause the Con itself isn't that expensive - it's the plane ticket and the hotel that are gonna be killer when we go (someday).

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:32 pm

Not awful, awful, really. $600 round trip for the flight. $600-$1000 for a decent hotel (3-4 star hotel). Plus the cost of renting a car. Assuming you fly in October 31st and out November 3rd. It would make for quite a nice little trip, IMO.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”