Confessions of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Confession: After watching Hangover last year, I got this sneaking suspicion that I'm going to be one of those awful, bitchy, nagging, never happy, never trusting, clingy type of girlfriends who is hated by all the guy's friends and I'm not going to realize I'm doing it/am as bad as I am.
This is also a concern of mine.

Confession: I am secretly wishing horrible wedding planning luck on a couple so they will have to delay their wedding a significant amount of time.

And I don't feel as bad about it as I know I should.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:22 pm

Confession: I am SO sick of being the confidante of my mom about all of her marital problems with my stepfather. He has terrible physical and mental problems and I feel really bad for both of them but it's such a burden to hear every detail of every fight. I kept recommending that she get a therapist and one day she told me "Why do I need one when I have you?". Sigh.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:12 pm

I totally did not think the latest newbie was a giberish bot at first glance. Nope, not me. >.>
The enemy's fly is down.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:21 pm

Example, we had a coworker who is Russian, and though he's lived in the US for most of his life still missed out on important cultural things. He didn't know what the word "rogue" meant, and we all jumped to Han Solo as the definitive lovable rogue. Of course, having never seen Star Wars, Han Solo wasn't a good example, and we were all stumped after that.
That's your only reference for "rogue"!? Obviously Xenocide is a much more common shared experience, isn't it?
<Bound to him. Like my people. Except you have free will. Independent philote. Rogue people, all of you.>
"She's making a joke," whispered Ender. "Not a judgment."
Valentine was grateful for his interpretation. The visual image that came with the phrase rogue people was of an elephant stomping a man to death. It was an image out of her childhood, the story from which she had first learned the word rogue. It frightened her, that image, the way it had frightened her as a child.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:51 am

I think I'm getting addicted to coffee. Coffee shops are the only place I can get wireless, and so I spend way too much time in them.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:54 am

Do they have decaf?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:42 am

Now that I think about it, I don't know! Its certainly not on the menus though.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:55 am

I am bad, like REALLY bad, at small talk. I should take a class or something I just suck at it so bad.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:34 pm

I am bad, like REALLY bad, at small talk. I should take a class or something I just suck at it so bad.
If it's not about food, I'm pretty bad at small talk. Food is one of the few things I can connect about.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:46 pm

I'm bad enough that i can barely manage a hello. I'm also often oblivious to the most obvious things. For example, today in the halls at a client location, I was asked what the weather was like outside. I had *just* walked through the door and had to turn around and look outside to remember what it was like.

If it's raining or snowing on me and I'm wet because of it, I'll remember, but if it's just hot, or windy, or otherwise not impacting me directly while we talk, I'm oblivious.

I also always get the "Hello, how are you?" question, and I never remember to say "I'm doing good, how are you?" I usually answer the self centered way and say "good" and go on about my business.

Fundamentals.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:30 pm

That just makes me want to meet you in person more. Heehee.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm bad enough that i can barely manage a hello. I'm also often oblivious to the most obvious things. For example, today in the halls at a client location, I was asked what the weather was like outside. I had *just* walked through the door and had to turn around and look outside to remember what it was like.

If it's raining or snowing on me and I'm wet because of it, I'll remember, but if it's just hot, or windy, or otherwise not impacting me directly while we talk, I'm oblivious.

I also always get the "Hello, how are you?" question, and I never remember to say "I'm doing good, how are you?" I usually answer the self centered way and say "good" and go on about my business.

Fundamentals.
Story of my life right there.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:43 pm

if you enjoy awkward social skills? I'm your man.

Though it's possible since I "know" you better than your average stranger, I'd be a little more open face to face.

Speaking of which, it really annoys me when people say stuff like "My IRL friends" vs. "My Online Friends." Maybe not so much anymore, but at one point I had better friendships with some of the people on PWeb than my "IRL friends." "Online friendships" are no less real than face to face ones, and recently with my relationships that developed on twitter and have culminated with becoming "IRL friends" the lines have been severely blurred for me.

In some ways, I know my online friends better than my face to face ones. Something about the medium of the written word that opens a person up and accelerates friendships in a way that's nearly impossible to replicate in oral conversations.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:44 pm

Story of my life right there.
There's somebody else out there with my affliction? huh.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:16 pm

In some ways, I know my online friends better than my face to face ones. Something about the medium of the written word that opens a person up and accelerates friendships in a way that's nearly impossible to replicate in oral conversations.
I know what you mean.

I also frequently suck at small talk although sometimes I can pull it off. Also, while having a one-on-one conversation while standing I get self-conscious about my stance and body language. In my head I'll be like, "Am I turned to the side slightly? Does that make it look like I'm trying to leave? If I cross my arms does that look like I'm stand-offish? etc."

Social interactions are awkward. Thank God for the internet. I'm like ten times more charming and witty online :lol:
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Speaking of which, it really annoys me when people say stuff like "My IRL friends" vs. "My Online Friends."

Yes. The term "real life" in that sort of context bothers me to no end. I use meatspace to differentiate between happenings online and happenings here where I live but I don't see one as any more real than the other.

Something about the medium of the written word that opens a person up and accelerates friendships in a way that's nearly impossible to replicate in oral conversations.

For me, online works better because it gives me time to really stop and think, which is just how I work. Speaking with someone either face to face or on the phone makes me feel rushed and unsure of myself.

I feel safer in writing than I do otherwise. Speaking just feels so...confrontational.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:10 pm

I know you will all be shocked to learn this :roll: ... I am painfully awkward to be around.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:45 am

I have a tip about small talk: Do not talk about your medical problems or family tragedies with complete strangers!!

I had a woman approach me in Tim Horton's yesterday to tell me how adorable and well-behaved my girls were, which was nice. She asked their ages, she told me that her granddaughter worked there. It was all good. But! Then she launched into how her diabetes was acting up, how she had a son who died... and I'm like "Listen, I met you 3 seconds ago. I have no idea how to respond to that." All I could do was nod until she went away.

Also: Yay for well-behaved kids, but I'm not sure it's that unusual for a 3 year old to be able to eat a cheese croissant. Three different old ladies approached me to say how good the girls were and how good of an eater Ginny was being. Kinda funny, really.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:55 am

I have a tip about small talk: Do not talk about your medical problems or family tragedies with complete strangers!!
Noted. Any other tips from the gallery?

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:12 am

I'm like ten times more charming and witty online :lol:
Interesting. I'm more charming offline, but more witty online.
Something about the medium of the written word that opens a person up and accelerates friendships in a way that's nearly impossible to replicate in oral conversations.
Ah, the beauty of asynchronous communication.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:30 pm

I am not sure I'm going to make it 3-5 years after the wedding before trying to have kids! If my ovaries don't knock it off, it'll probably be more like right after graduation.
-Kim

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:52 pm

Noted. Any other tips from the gallery?
I don't really think of what you said as being "bad" at smalltalk. Just do what you want and that makes you comfortable, with a certain amount of accommodation for the perceived preferences of others. If you like silence, don't say a lot. If others aren't comfortable with it, then that's just someone you may not get along with. I would never have found others that are more along my lines of casual conversation if I always tried to come up with the "correct" way of responding to small talk.

Business relationships are different, of course, since you may not have a choice. But... that's why it's business and not personal.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:11 pm

Confession: I watched football and Two and a Half Men tonight instead of doing homework I should have done.

I don't even like Two and a Half Men. Or football, really.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:38 pm

Confession: I don't know if it's too depressing and my subconscious is trying to protect my much too fragile self or what but ever since my last pay cut, I've managed to forget what days I get paid despite receiving the stub, breakdown thing. (What are those called, again? Not really the stub since I have direct deposit, or is it? Whatever.) Since I don't really spend, I now do my budgeting whenever I randomly remember I have a paycheck waiting for me. That's usually a few days later.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Confession: I was watching the digital floor readout in the mirror while waiting for the elevator. I got excited when it hit floor "01", but then got confused when it read "P".

Stupid mirrors.

Made me think of Futurama, though. So that was fun.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:38 pm

I am having one of those insecure days where I feel like people don't like me, are talking bad about me behind my back, and don't want to hang out with me (not you guys). Sigh.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:58 pm

I had that day on Sunday, Nomi. I know exactly how you feel.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:50 pm

On the off chance we could even find something bad about either of you, I'd like to think we'd at least be direct and say it to your face. :P
The enemy's fly is down.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:53 am

I made my husband go buy tickets to The Lion King 3D last night so we could get the showing I wanted. I remember going to watch it when it was in theaters the first time around. SO EXCITED.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:32 am

I remember riding my bike to the old 2 screen theatre to see Lion King. They didn't have big multi-screen theatres back then. My sister and I met my cousin there. It was hot, since it was the middle of summer, and my candy bar melted. It was a cookies 'n mint. Remember those candy bars? I loved those. I was trying to decided whether to take my kids to see it in the theatre. We're taking them to the stage production in November.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:40 am

I want to see it in theaters soooo bad! The firs time around my Mom took us, but it ended up being sold out. I wish it wasn't in 3D, but i'm really thinking about going just so I can see it in theaters!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:32 am

Our theater is having one showing a day in 2d!!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:45 am

I saw it after my high school graduation. I'm so old.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:53 am

6th grade for me, I believe. I saw it in the Nicklelodeon theater in San Diego. First time I sat in stadium seats and there were pretty shooting star lights on the ceiling. I even sang, if you can call it that, the Pumba part for our talent show.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:05 pm

Confession: I buy myself flowers on a regular basis because it makes me happy. I have been doing this for years, whether single or in a relationship. David has bought me flowers once, bought me "flours" twice, and made me origami flowers once, and done many many many other sweet and unexpected romantic things. But I love love love having fresh flowers in the house. I think they are beautiful and cheerful and--now that I frequent the farmers market--cheap! I need my flower fix, so I just take care of that need myself. Some of my friends think this is weird, like I'm passive-aggressively trying to send David hints or something, but that's not how it is. For awhile, their opinions made me stop my little indulgence, but recently I got over it, and I'm so glad! :::admires sunflowers, etc. on her livingroom table:::
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Return to “Milagre Town Square”