Confessions of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:29 pm

I may have worded that wrong. More like, I get into bad food ruts where I eat things I normally wouldn't eat back to back. Namely, I will eat sweets for all three meals one day, some days. Stuff like that. Or instead of making something proper, I'll just go to town on chips.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:32 am

Confession: I have a really hard keeping an open mind when people start acting superior. It makes me want to go against them just to prove them wrong, whether they are or not.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:39 pm

Confession: I have a really hard keeping an open mind when people start acting superior.
Look, I've been around for a while, and I can tell you this is the better way to go about things. People sometimes ask me how I got so great, and I tell them that proving smug people wrong is my key. I mean, you see someone sitting around saying they're all better because they do something or other, and you're just going to listen to them? Hell no, you gotta show them otherwise. Does it make me better than them? Yes, yes it does. One day the contrarian master race will prevail.

(If someone doesn't see the joke I'm trying to make, look harder. It's in there.)
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:17 am

Confession:

I will never, ever understand Red Velvet Cake. If ever there was a cake that is just appalling in every possible way, it is Red Velvet. Whether it is a cupcake or cake, or cheesecake, from a fancy bakery, friend, chain or fancy restaurant it is always abysmally disappointing.

First of all, Red Velvet frosting is horrifically nasty. I can tolerate most frostings, even the ones that are really nothing more than powdered sugar whipped with crisco and food coloring (a popular midwest "homemade" frosting) but Red Velvet Frosting is profoundly wrong in so many ways. It is syrupy glue in your mouth, a hideous coat of venomous white poison that I want to scrape out of my mouth every time I get around to trying it again (maybe this time it will be good, everyone else thinks RV is the greatest thing of all time).

On top of all the offensive flavor combinations assaulting the palate with the frosting is the horror of the actual cake itself. Firstly, it has a bizarre flat sweetness (how do you make a brassy or bright flavor like sweet flat? it shouldn't be possible), or sometimes somewhat actinic blandness (perhaps it's all the coloring?) and always with a texture that is all wrong. It's soggy without being wet, the wobbly cake crumb is like placing in your mouth a mushy sponge soaked in old cereal milk and left sitting on the table all morning long on a hot summer day.

It's just a miserable experience that befouls the good name of cake in just about every way other than general shape and form. It really is disgusting and I don't think I'll ever understand the attraction.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:26 am

Wow, the red velvet cupcake at a local cupcakery is one of my favorites. And the frosting is just a good old cream cheese frosting. Most red velvet cakes are just some type of mild chocolate cake with red food coloring added. It sounds like you have happened upon a lot of bad ones.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:34 am

Confession:

I will never, ever understand Red Velvet Cake. If ever there was a cake that is just appalling in every possible way, it is Red Velvet. Whether it is a cupcake or cake, or cheesecake, from a fancy bakery, friend, chain or fancy restaurant it is always abysmally disappointing.

First of all, Red Velvet frosting is horrifically nasty. I can tolerate most frostings, even the ones that are really nothing more than powdered sugar whipped with crisco and food coloring (a popular midwest "homemade" frosting) but Red Velvet Frosting is profoundly wrong in so many ways. It is syrupy glue in your mouth, a hideous coat of venomous white poison that I want to scrape out of my mouth every time I get around to trying it again (maybe this time it will be good, everyone else thinks RV is the greatest thing of all time).

On top of all the offensive flavor combinations assaulting the palate with the frosting is the horror of the actual cake itself. Firstly, it has a bizarre flat sweetness (how do you make a brassy or bright flavor like sweet flat? it shouldn't be possible), or sometimes somewhat actinic blandness (perhaps it's all the coloring?) and always with a texture that is all wrong. It's soggy without being wet, the wobbly cake crumb is like placing in your mouth a mushy sponge soaked in old cereal milk and left sitting on the table all morning long on a hot summer day.

It's just a miserable experience that befouls the good name of cake in just about every way other than general shape and form. It really is disgusting and I don't think I'll ever understand the attraction.
My only conclusion is that you've never had it made right. I've had some that are just chocolate with red food coloring. But, if it consoles you, I prefer a nice yellow cake to even a properly made red velvet.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:50 am

Wow, the red velvet cupcake at a local cupcakery is one of my favorites. And the frosting is just a good old cream cheese frosting. Most red velvet cakes are just some type of mild chocolate cake with red food coloring added. It sounds like you have happened upon a lot of bad ones.
I was going to say that about the frosting. How can cream cheese frosting be so offensive to you? It's amazing in it's combination of tangy and sweet.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:20 pm

I've never had red velvet cake. Isn't that the weird one with ketchup?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:22 pm

There is a cake with ketchup? Ew.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:32 pm

Oh god no. I've never heard of a cake with ketchup...ew.

Red velvet is essentially a less sweet? chocolate, dyed red.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:48 pm

I've never heard of a version of red velvet with ketchup. Some use beet juice as a natural red dye instead of food coloring.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:24 pm

Wow, you must have had some horrible red velvet! It's one of my favorite cakes and it's fun to make! I also LOVE cream cheese frosting.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:09 pm

I am absolutely heartbroken to leave St. Louis. I love this city. I love my social circles here. I love my apartment and my roommates and everything. Some day I will be back.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:04 pm

Confession: I would love to go to San Diego Comic Con one day. I've wanted to go for years but for one reason or another couldn't, despite SD being really close by, relatively speaking.

But. I'm starting to hate image galleries from it because it feels like The Second Coming of Halloween, in that it gives women an excuse to wear unnecessarily slutty outfits. Sure, they're based on costumes that start out pretty revealing but it's like everything gets sexed up and to an 11 on a 10 point scale.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:25 pm

It's not just women (Warning: uh, "sexy" costume? But drawn; not a picture.) And for those who don't know, this is tails.

dgf hhw

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:36 pm

We should look on the positive side and note what a good thing it is that women (and men) have a safe environment where they can feel comfortable dressing slutty and not be judged or accosted for it. :D
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:46 pm

Confession: Browsing through a Christian bookstore today when bored at an outlet mall kind of was a kick to the face that, oh, yeah, I've finally come to terms with the fact that I'm most likely atheist. That was weird.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:32 am

When I get held up by perfectly healthy-looking young people in the bike lane, I can't help wanting to shout "I'm 6 months pregnant, what's your excuse?!"

On the flip side, when I get passed by older folks, I feel a sense of awe and want to be like them when I get older!

Edit: And I finally got the response I wanted to my 21 mile trip last weekend. When Rei mentioned it to his mother over skype, she said (roughly), "At HOW many months pregnant?!" Now I can stop wishing people would notice, lol.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Confession: I still have an awfully hard time saying no to certain people and I find it annoying, to say the least, but I feel too bad to tell them I don't want to do whatever it is they want, so I do it anyway and then spend a good portion of the time resenting them for not knowing, without my saying, that I wanted to say no. (In the latest case, that I'm currently thinking of, it's a volunteer position that involves sitting in a smoke-filled room for two hours a week while my eyes and lungs scream for fresh air.)

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:31 pm

I've never had a sexual fantasy.
The password is "guilty"

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:45 pm

I've never had a sexual fantasy.

Oh, yeah. This is why Pweb makes me feel like a pervert on a semi-regular basis.

Actually, it really makes me think I need to have some more boundaries put in place and tell you all less but same difference. :D

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:54 pm

I haven't had a sexual fantasy either...

In the last 5 minutes! Wait... 5 seconds... Wait...
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:09 pm

i can't say as i've had much by way of fantasies. or if you'd consider them fantasies because they don't go into any detail or anything. i get ideas, or think of things i'd like to try. but i really don't think of them as fantasies.

i can't say as pweb makes me feel like a pervert. i always feel like a pervert. pweb just makes me feel like i'm a dirty dirty pervert.

it's kind of fun! :P
Ubernaustrum

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:16 pm

To be honest, I suspect that women have more of what you might call "fantasies" while guys just have more frequent sexual thoughts. I'm sure we've all heard the old "men think about sex every 8 seconds" line, but of course there's no way to test that claim so I'm pretty sure that someone just pulled it out of their a$$.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:17 pm

My sexual fantasy is P-Web discussing the perversion power of their sexual fantasies.

Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm

Please don't feel like a pervert, Alea. My comment was more a confession that I feel like a weirdo because I haven't. On the spectrum of sexuality, I fall close to the asexual range.
The password is "guilty"

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:34 pm

I'd rather you not feel like a weirdo. There's a whole wide spectrum when it comes to sexuality and I suspect that is a really good thing.

I mean, it feels like a lot of Pwebbers would rather not talk about it (never put much thought into them not feeling/thinking it), so that makes me feel strange but that's all on me and my norms around here and not a comment on anyone else's norms, ya know?

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:24 pm

My comment was more a confession that I feel like a weirdo
And Alea is your comparison for the norm? :D

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:39 pm

Shhh. Not while I'm pouring.*

*And by that I mean, "Shh. Not while I'm basking in my supposed normalcy."

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm jealous of people who have grandparents.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:23 pm

Sometimes I feel very very inadequate here. Our members? Fancy academics. Wonderful crafters. Inspired cooks. Dedicated parents. I... have a BSN, craft only when I have to, and cook if it's the only option (just forget baking), and have a dog.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:33 pm

sure, but the dog means you win.

and don't worry, you fit in here just fine.
Ubernaustrum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Sometimes I feel very very inadequate here.

I know this feeling like the back of my hand. (Wait, which side counts as the back? The one that has the fingernails, right?)

don't worry, you fit in here just fine.

But yes, this is true. I think the nursing thing is pretty darn impressive; I mean, a useful degree? Pssh, who ever heard of that and actually got one?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:22 pm

I think we all feel like that at times, some of us more often than others. Heck, you do a lot more than I do. I don't have a degree or a job or kids or anything. So, you got me beat. :)

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:38 pm

and have a dog.
Helen, I have a cat, it's true, but only because David brought her into the relationship. I am a dog person to the core and both of my dogs were pit bulls. My heart goes with yours.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Return to “Milagre Town Square”