You guys... won't happen to be in Facebook?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

well... are you?

Yes!
75%
No! it's stupid!
8%
No! (yes, but i don't want YOU stalking me).
8%
No! (you'll only take my hard earned privacy out of my cold dead guns).
8%
Yes! (not really, but since you are in FB, i will be too, just to be as cool as you).
No votes

Total votes: 12

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:22 am

I think you have to meet at least 2 pwebbers to become real. At least, that's what i've always gone by.
Chris (Demeter), Cameron (DaPyr0x), Adam (Locke), Chris (Hanc), Kelly, Psyche, WSC, Heather (my sister, lol)..

I'm real!

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:00 pm

Woah now condescending.
Pweb is as real as anything you can touch, taste, smell, or hear. By my count, at least 18 members in the top 50 (by post count) have met at least 2 other Pwebbers; 1 has met at least one. Page two adds another 5 who've met at least 2 and another 7 who've met at least 1. They/we were all Real before they/we met, as were the connections they/we made. Your distinction between virtual and meatspace is garbage.
[various other quotes, too]

I didn't mean to offend or sound elitist. Quite the opposite, really. I'm paranoid. It's my weakness, not any of yours. I'm sorry. What follows explains my thinking, but doesn't justify my insult.

Part of it is because I'm fairly new here; I don't really know any of you all that well, not like you know each other. Part of it is because I have friends that became "internet famous" and have had stalkers and hate mail threats and such. And part of it is my own social anxiety; I'm gonna screw things up (like I apparently just did, for example) and I don't want the internet generally knowing how to find me. For all you know there could be a lurker with a crazy, John Hinkley-esque crush on you that, in his broken mind, justifies him tracking me down and killing me because something I said upset you.

I don't imagine you're not real people. I imagine that real people are scary.

I know it's irrational. I know it's a billion-to-one shot that should not drive my behavior. And yet it does. Just call me Bean. Except his paranoia was usually right and mine is usually wrong.

Edit: That's not the whole truth. I'm also pissed off. By refusing me the benefit of the doubt, you required me to write this explanation or suffer ostracization. In writing this defense, my social anxiety was set off big time (worst since high school), leading to uncontrollable shaking and a nosebleed. Thank you all so much for assuming I meant the worst. Maybe I should've opted for ostracization.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:47 pm

Take it easy, Psudo. You're new. No one blames you for not understanding how close-knit this place is. And you don't have to sacrifice your privacy to find out, or to become part of the community. No one will pressure you into revealing more about yourself than you're comfortable with.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:34 pm

I understand that it's close-knit, I'm just not part of that knit. I'm sorry that identifying that offended some perfectly fine folks; none of it's your fault. I'm sorry for my immature, temperamental outburst in my previous post. I think I'm better now.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:35 pm

It's cool. We're a generally forgiving bunch. Quick to defend ourselves/our Pweb, but not holding grudges.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:18 am

As for privacy - I've been here for a few years now and although not the most reliable poster, no-one has any idea who I am. Or has tried to find out.

Don't worry - you're safe.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:45 am

Speaking of facebook...

I dislike my sister-in-law's husband SO much. It is hard to keep my mouth shut when he posts things like the following on his fb status:
It made me hot to watch my wife ride her dirt bike today, but if I act on it I will knock her up and she won't be able to ride any more. What a catch 22
Seriously. And this is a 47yo man. With a 7 month old baby.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:57 am

I think that's kinda cute, i mean, that he still feels that way ^_^
I mean, it's terribly embarrasing if you know them personally, but cute from outside. I would only be able to say "awwwwwww" 8)

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:59 am

XD
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:15 pm

Well, I already can't stand the guy for many unrelated reasons. But my other thought about his comment was, have you never heard of birth control?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:27 pm

It made me hot to watch my wife ride her dirt bike today, but if I act on it I will knock her up and she won't be able to ride any more. What a catch 22
Seriously. And this is a 47yo man. With a 7 month old baby.
Men are pigs... :(
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “Milagre Town Square”