You guys... won't happen to be in Facebook?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

well... are you?

Yes!
75%
No! it's stupid!
8%
No! (yes, but i don't want YOU stalking me).
8%
No! (you'll only take my hard earned privacy out of my cold dead guns).
8%
Yes! (not really, but since you are in FB, i will be too, just to be as cool as you).
No votes

Total votes: 12

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:39 am

So, Jayelle, you're saying it's wrong for me to use an anonymity network to protect my location when a PO Box does the same thing? It's wrong to try and get people to use anonymity networks with my experimental data to support it? Illogical. All these points I've been bringing up support using anonymity networks.
So your point is that you should be allowed to hide your IP? I have no problem with that. Go ahead. If you're getting mad at all of us for not hiding ours, then that's just silly. I don't care if you see where I live according to my IP or my email address.
Whats wrong with a scientific experiment? Nothing. I can't run an experiment without getting baseless accusations of stalking?
My stalking question wasn't an accusation, it was asking if that's what you (or someone) would plan to do with an IP address.
Makes me think the United States is a lot better than Canada.
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this.

I still have no idea what you are actually arguing here. That people should protect their privacy? Sure. Go ahead. But it's up to them.
That people shouldn't tell you their location? Okay. But once again, still it's up to them.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:54 am

I'm not getting mad. One of the characteristics of Asperger syndrome is that they will go into a long monologue about one thing and not stop. If interrupted, I say it all over, again, repeat and repeat until I feel everything has been said. This is why you seem to see me making a big deal of it, I feel no one gets my point, so I throw out more data and arguments.

It seems that someone finally got my point.
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:16 am

IP address look-ups are far from accurate. When you look up an IP Address, all you are doing is looking up the city in which the ISP's regional office resides, or the final router in which the information passes before it is sent off to the home user. In large cities, such as Las Vegas, obviously the regional office for my ISP (Cox) would be accurate. In rural cities, it is a lot more hit and miss. For example, I once looked up an IP address from College Station, TX, and it said that the IP was located some 97 miles (156 km) away in Houston.

Proxies and routing networks reduce bandwidth, and the data you access is still being processed through a third party, which still makes it insecure. Even if you connect to a proxy via SSH or HTTPS, unless you connect to the target using a secure connection as well, the information is being encrypted only at the proxy (or the routing service entrance). Kind of pointless to be so worried about privacy when you're sending and receiving information over an insecure connection through numerous routers before it becomes encrypted.

Many websites now, such as Google, are offering you the ability to connect to their website and various services through a secure connection. (https://www.google.com) IRC and Usenet also allow you to connect via SSH. This is, perhaps, as far as a home user should be going for privacy. In fact, I hope soon that every website will allow you to connect to them using an https connection all the time. As I've said, an IP Address is a pretty pointless thing to hide on the internet unless you have some crazy paranoid reason to be hiding it. :)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:30 pm

Makes me think the United States is a lot better than Canada.
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this.
Yeah, I'm a bit baffled as well.

As to the rest, "meh". I've got bigger security concerns than someone getting my rough geographical location anyway.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:55 pm

You need a subjunctive "wouldn't" instead of "won't", and colloquially, a person is "on" facebook, not "in".
Another option is "You guys don't happen to be on facebook".
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:56 pm

"You guys don't happen to have facebook?" would sound the most normal to me.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:56 am

But i am not normal XD i don't even try.

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:57 am

Against my will, yes, I'm on Facebook. No, I will not be seeking you out or "Friending" you. Friends are people I know in real life. Yes, my email is hidden.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:03 am

Friends are people I know in real life.
Woah now condescending. Many people here, myself included, have friends (yes, real friends, imagine that!) from this board and from else where online. I'm not sure what your intention was with that post, but you sounded like an elitist, prick bastard to me.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:43 pm

Against my will, yes, I'm on Facebook. No, I will not be seeking you out or "Friending" you. Friends are people I know in real life. Yes, my email is hidden.
O.o

ooooo...kay
I will be stepping back real slow. Please don't get nervous...

*runs for my life*

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:50 pm

You need a subjunctive "wouldn't" instead of "won't", and colloquially, a person is "on" facebook, not "in".
Another option is "You guys don't happen to be on facebook".

That was the first thing that popped into my head.

Friends are people I know in real life.
Woah now condescending. Many people here, myself included, have friends (yes, real friends, imagine that!) from this board and from else where online. I'm not sure what your intention was with that post, but you sounded like an elitist, prick bastard to me.
*approves of Ed's use of the word "real"*

*doesn't approve of Psudo's*

Pweb is as real as anything you can touch, taste, smell, or hear. By my count, at least 18 members in the top 50 (by post count) have met at least 2 other Pwebbers; 1 has met at least one. Page two adds another 5 who've met at least 2 and another 7 who've met at least 1. They/we were all Real before they/we met, as were the connections they/we made. Your distinction between virtual and meatspace is garbage.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Pweb is as real as anything you can touch, taste, smell, or hear. By my count, at least 18 members in the top 50 (by post count) have met at least 2 other Pwebbers; 1 has met at least one. Page two adds another 5 who've met at least 2 and another 7 who've met at least 1. They/we were all Real before they/we met, as were the connections they/we made. Your distinction between virtual and meatspace is garbage.
Who is real[TM] again? Roll call!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:21 pm

*real*

Janelle/Virlomi [May 2004, March 2007]
Chris/Wind_Swept [October/December 2006]
Kelly/Young Val [March 2007]
Alex/Yebra [June 2008]
Josh/ Dr Mobius [October 2009]

Steph/steph [August 2010]
Surprise! [October 2010]

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:54 pm

Those are just the people you've met, yes?

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:05 pm

I'm pretty sure she's saying that she's real, then listed the proof.

*not real*
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:12 pm

Those are just the people you've met, yes?
she's saying that she's real, then listed the proof.
The others can speak for themselves. :)

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:27 pm

I haven't been conclusively proven real yet. This is a troubling existential crisis.

:P

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:32 pm

I'd been around for nearly 7 years before EL and Rei made me real.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Somehow that sounds just wrong.

And now I get it, Alea. I was having a smart moment.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:17 pm

I'm real!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:27 pm

Pic related:

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:34 pm

Pic related:
That's slightly awesome.

I am proven authentic by various pwebbers.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:37 pm

I'm not real. *sad* Closest I've come is one phone conversation with an inactive pwebber, who, since he's inactive, obviously cannot vouch for my reality. And a few close calls. (E.g., people who were flying to North Dakota during the EXACT SAME TIME I was in Texas. For heaven's sake.)

Alas.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:38 pm

Hey, me too!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:54 pm

I met tons of Pwebbers (and hatrackers) at Endercon.

Ethan, IdemosthenesI, Taalcon/Dave, Locke/Adam, Ollie, Boothby/Steve, Ami, Ela (and her two kids), Leto, Papa Moose...and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. It was 8 years ago!

And the only person I've met elsewhere is Catherine/v-girl but we have visited each other a number of times.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:14 pm

I'm not real. *sad* Closest I've come is one phone conversation with an inactive pwebber, who, since he's inactive, obviously cannot vouch for my reality. And a few close calls. (E.g., people who were flying to North Dakota during the EXACT SAME TIME I was in Texas. For heaven's sake.)

Alas.
I count you as real to me! We've exchanged mail!

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:14 pm

The pwebber I've met hasn't been active in years (DarlingViolenta/lindsay)... I've talked to several on the phone.. does that make me real?
-Kim

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:09 pm

Years ago, I met Dave and Ollie. I'll be even more real next month when Alea comes to my house!!!!!!!!!!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:51 pm

Definitely not real. The Philly Boys are just a bunch of spam bots that said they knew each other to throw you guys of the scent. After ten long years, the secret has finally come out.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:36 pm

I'm pretty sure you're all just figments of my imagination, albeit rather persistent ones.
The enemy's fly is down.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Carrot hamburgler

Postby Graff^ » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:20 pm

-shakes head- I tell you how to find the sender of an email from an IP address, and then you guys use it to try and find your own IP address from email headers... Or at least, that's what I can assume due to the crazy results. Based on that assumption, the effect would be that you're finding the initial sender of an email, and reporting it as your own IP address. However, I've tested two IP addresses given from email headers, and my own IP address, and two were in the same city as where the actual address was. And I knew their addresses because they were naive enough to give them to me. That's cause for concern.

Because I knew their exact geographic locations due to their naivete, I could check how far the IP lookup was from their actual house. The results are alarming. My IP lookup was 2.3 km away from my actual house and was in the same city. Peterlover14's IP lookup was 4.4 km from her actual house and was in the same city. Graff^'s IP lookup was 24.7 km from his actual house, very close in a rural area. All of these used no proxy server and used their actual IP address. So based on the data I have, IP addresses are reliable enough to find someone.
Since you're trying to use it to see your location from your IP address, I bet. you'll get closer results if you use this.
And don't change whatever is in the box either, as it should detect your
public IP.
If your email address is private, it won't detect it. It means you know what you're doing online. Plain and simple. Yet I'm getting flak for telling the masses how to do it and advocating privacy. It's freedom of information,
freedom of speech.
Ok, I know this is a little late but, jayelle's right we were trusting. And dude what the hell?!? You followed our IPs? I'm sorry but after reading I randomly got pissed. Okay continue with the current topic on hand.
Where does friendship end and love begin?

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:47 pm

I talked to TJ on the phone. But Tj isn't on pweb anymore. Am I still real?
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:30 pm

I think you have to meet at least 2 pwebbers to become real. At least, that's what i've always gone by.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:32 pm

I think you have to meet at least 2 pwebbers to become real.
True story, that one.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:34 pm

Don't test me with a captcha, then!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”