Know anything about car audio?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Know anything about car audio?

Postby Satya » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:39 pm

I just bought a truck the other day (a beastly old red Ranger) and the previous owner left a subwoofer in it. I don't really want it, so I'm going to sell it on Craigslist. I just wanted to see if anyone had an idea of what it might be worth. I don't really care, a few bucks is fine. Can't complain when you get something for free.

Basketball in picture for size comparison. :roll:

Discord ID: AJ#0001

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:09 pm

depends on the brand of the speakers. could be worth 20 bucks, could be worth 100.

what i would do is pull one of them out and take a picture of the back where the brand and other important specs can be found such as ohms and watts.
Ubernaustrum

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:39 pm

twin 8" subwoofers + amateur box... I'd definitely do as thebrain suggested and try to at least remove those grilles to figure out what the drivers actually are. Personally, I see very little value in that sub setup; however those could be some powerful drivers in a small package and be definitely worth more than the $100 thebrain suggested.

I'd say $100 makes a good going offer without knowing the brand on craigslist. Boxes are expensive alone, much less with subs already in em.

[edit] I'd also say it's entirely possible that is a very well built box, worth more than $100 on it's own; just that the carpet-wrapping job looks bad, and when it comes to craigslist items there are assumptions to be made.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:12 am

That's true.. It's probably also been sitting in that truck for awhile, and it's possible the wrap job was originally good and it's just normal wear-and-tear. I get the feeling the guy knew what he was doing, he had a bunch of other stuff wired up. It was a toothless ol' hick but a good old boy, had some nice lights wired up and put in the aftermarket CD player himself (a decent Sony.) Box has probably been bouncing around in that truck for awhile.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Update: (not that anyone probably cares, but just in case) I got 45 bucks for it.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”