G20

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

G20

Postby daPyr0x » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:00 am

So, rather than take the Toronto thread way off topic, I figured I'd start a new one for this.
I don't think that the police did anything wrong on the whole. That is to say that with literally hundreds of people arrested I can't swear that no one was treated more harshly than necessary, but considering what some "protesters" were doing, which included major property damage and endangering lives, I'm on the cops' side.

Also, no one should have found themselves getting caught up in it by accident since the G20 and the security measures that were being taken to protect it have been the biggest thing in the news for weeks. Everyone knew what was happening. There's 'wrong place and wrong time', and then there's looking for trouble.
See, this is something I would disagree with. Vehemently. While I would agree that all-in-all the officers on the ground did a damned good job, and their training was evident in seeing the way those front-line cops handled the situation. Their superiors, however, made some very frightening and dangerous decisions.

They detained many an innocent person, subjecting them to illegal searches (yes, the first lines of the Canadian Charter protects against such things), assaulted media (there are many media representatives, both local and international, who have reported injury from the police; one where a media rep witnessed another who was held by 2 cops, sucker-punched in the ribs by a 3rd, and then received an elbow to the back of his neck from one of the ones holding him, because he talked too much).

Make no mistake, the G20 summit in Toronto was a complete and total embarrassment for human rights, and I am ashamed of my country for how the whole mess was handled. Amnesty International agrees with me
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:09 am

Yeah, human rights...
but what about the rights of the politicians and higher ups to enjoy a holiday week paid by their respective taxpayers, eh?

Seriously, i am glad that the Toronteran authorities got their priorities straight. I feel much better knowing that our politicians can enjoy our money without having to worry about protesters.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:48 am

Just play this as loudly as possible over the riots. Can you really imagine being enrage with that playing in the background?
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby daPyr0x » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Seriously, i am glad that the Toronteran authorities got their priorities straight. I feel much better knowing that our politicians can enjoy our money without having to worry about protesters.
It is with that statement that I am thoroughly convinced that you are merely a troll looking to try and instigate something.

Freedom?

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:31 pm

man, don't take as trolling what was merely sarcasm ^_-

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby daPyr0x » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:56 pm

Ah, sarcasm. The mortal enemy of the internet...

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:49 pm

To bring this up again and hopefully discuss it some more, I want to see what thoughts people have on this article. It's basically a piece weighing the merits and potential trouble of the "5 metre" law that caused such a fuss during the G20.

I think I agree with both the writers - that there are a lot of other worrying things that happened, and considering the law only resulted in 1-2 arrests, in that sense it's not a big deal. But I also agree that the implementation was flawed and the precedent it sets is troubling.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Return to “Milagre Town Square”