Summer Reading

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Summer Reading

Postby CezeN » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Not real Summer Reading like you'd do for High School, but leisure reading.

Right now, the problem I have is that most of my good book series have finished or I'm waiting for another book.

So, I was wondering if any of you could suggest me some good books/series to look into. :P
(Or you could simply use this thread as a general book suggestion one)

Now, I know what you're thinking:
We all have different tastes. We don't know yours, so how can we even suggest you a book?

Well, just glance through the list of books/series that I can remember reading and enjoying, and if you've read any or are into the same type, just suggest me anything.
1. The Pendragon Adventure
2. Enders Game/Shadow
3.. HIVE (Higher Institute For Villanous Education)
4. Bartimeus Trilogy
4. Artemis Fowl
5. Cirque Du Freak/Demonata
6. Charlie Bone (I don't even know why I read these books)
7. Time Warp Trio (helped get me into reading)
8. Eragon (lolwut)
9. Percy Jackson
10. Among The Hidden/the series
11. Alex Rider
12. Spy High
13. Underland Chronicles
14. Dangerboy
15. Tanya Huff vampire books
16. Faery Wars/series
17. Blue,Red,White and Other Ted Dekker books.
18. Darkfusion series
19. Starshards
20. Children of the Lamp series
21. Harry Potter
22. Misfits Inc
23. Blue Avenger and sequel books
24. His Dark Materials
25. Diamond Brother's Mysteries
26. The Dresden Files

Solobooks:
Elantris
House Of Leaves
Thr33
Life Of Pi
I Am The Messanger
Catch 22

Current Favorite/topranked:
Name Of The Wind/Kingkiller Chronicle
Even if you can't gauge the type of books I'm into or don't think you're into the same OR just didn't feel like reading through the list, suggest a book(while noting that it isn't based on my possible taste), and I'll probably still look into it.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:03 pm

Furthermore, incase you don't recognize the books, authors:

Darren Shan
Orson Scott Card
D.J. MacHale
Scott Westerfeld
Eoin Colfer
Ted Dekker
Anthony Horowitz
Jonathan Stroud
Patrick Rothfuss
Tanya Huff
Herbie Brennan
Neal Shusterman
Rick Riordan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Books I will never read:

Twilight
The Wheel of Time

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:52 pm

I recommend Steakley's Armor, but I recommend that a lot. Probably because I've been meaning to re-read it again for the past few weeks, but haven't gotten to it.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:56 pm

I'll check it out.

Did a quick lookup, and has some similarities with Ender's Game.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:24 am

You should totally read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea! It's one of those early works which shaped science-fiction and made it what it is today. Without Mr. Verne, there may not have been a Mr. Card.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:02 pm

I'm reading through George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. I'm on the third book now, A Storm of Swords.

It's sort of a mid-fantasy series - maybe about 80% of the goings on would fit in fairly well with fiction set in a medieval world, but there are important parts of the story that are straight out of Lord of the Rings and D&D.

Most of all I'd call it pretty unpredictable. Lots of characters and story elements seem to be setup to follow fantasy Tropes to a T, and then go spiraling off in another direction.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:39 pm

*puts on librarian hat*

Since several of your books have a bit of a dystopian leaning, I would recommend The Uglies (and series) by Scott Westerfield, The City of Bones (and series) by Cassandra Clare and The Chrysalids by John Wyndham.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:58 pm

Rei- I'm not much into old style books, but I'll read enough into it to give it a chance to get my attention.

Janus- No chance. A song of ice and fire is one of the three book series that I will never give a chance. Ever.
The others being the Wheel of Time and Twilight.

Jayelle- Good pick. I've read Uglies, Pretties, Specials, if I remember the names correctly. Though, the series started sucking too bad, and eventually got to the last book, Extras, which I refuse to read.

I'll be sure to check into your picks. Especially since you're a librarian.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:46 pm

Don't judge me, but I recommend The Host. Ignore the author. The author is unimportant. You will judge the book by the author, and the book is good enough on its own to not be unfairly judged because of that. For the record, I haven't and will probably never read the authors other works.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:11 pm

So..

I used to be really into the Dark Hunter series of novels by Sherrilyn Kenyon. My friend gave me the 1st in the timeline, and he kept getting them all in order and I read about a dozen more after. Now, in case you haven't heard of the author or read any of the series... They're... romance novels. DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT. Sure, there's vampires, animal-shapeshifters, dream-dwellers and warriors, with all the according action and adventure, but when it comes right down to it, it's all a vehicle for a romance novel series. I got into it for the intense battles, supernatural intrigue and a surprisingly deep and dark otherworldly plot and I actually didn't even mind the steaminess every few chapters... I got busy for awhile and so I haven't kept up with them.. I just wanted to confess that. I was reading romance novels. OKAY OKAY, shut up.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:28 pm

Janus- No chance. A song of ice and fire is one of the three book series that I will never give a chance. Ever.
I can understand Twilight but why the other two? Run ins with obnoxious fans?
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:35 pm

The Wheel of Time is actually being finished by my favorite author right now - Brandon Sanderson. I highly recommend you read his stuff. Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker, and The Way of Kings in August. He is literally a writing machine, pumping out books like they are candy while maintaining fresh and original plots and devices.

I wish more authors *coughPatrickRothfusscough* would write as fast and as well as Brandon Sanderson does. *grumbles about The Wise Man's Fear*.

As for ASOIAF, they are a good series. I enjoyed reading them. But they weren't so good that I want to read them again any time soon. (The only books I've ever read more than once were Ender's Game and all of Brandon Sanderson's stuff). GRRM is super slow at writing, he's fat, and he's old. He'll probably die before it is finished. It is probably best to not get started on a series that will never be completed. :P

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:35 pm

I can understand Twilight but why the other two? Run ins with obnoxious fans?
I'm sore because there was a character fight competition at suvudu.com
and Jaime and his ASOIAF fanbase managed to beat almost everyone, despite the fact he had lost his sword hand AND kills children/has sex with his sister(or something like that).
On top of that, he manged to beat Kvothe from Name Of The Wind :x (favorite character and favorite series)

His fanbase depicted him as a douchebag, and ignored all logic in the matchups, and then pulled him through to win second place.

Furthermore, a lot of them were assholes...

... The only person who managed to beat him was Rand Al Thor from The Wheel of Time, because "balefire bitches", he simply balefired all of his opponents, which was cheap as f***.

Also, his fanbase depicted him as becoming near omnipotent - so he doesn't sound like a character I would like.

Last, there's like a million books in Wheel of Time, and from what I've heard, some of them don't merit more than filler, and take too much time describing the world.

Not worth it.

Yeah, I know my reasons aren't that legit, but still, I swore to never read those series.

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:40 pm

If you want to judge an author by his fan base, look at those jerks who like Orson Scott Card. Geez.
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:42 pm

Don't judge me, but I recommend The Host. Ignore the author. The author is unimportant. You will judge the book by the author, and the book is good enough on its own to not be unfairly judged because of that. For the record, I haven't and will probably never read the authors other works.
Hmmm. I'm not going to say "no", but I can't guarantee that will ever happen... :wink:

I mean, it's kind of impossible to not judge a book by its author. The book should be a reflection of the author's style and skill level.
Theoretically, if the author sucks, the book should suck as well...

I wish more authors *coughPatrickRothfusscough* would write as fast and as well as Brandon Sanderson does.

GRRM is super slow at writing, he's fat, and he's old. He'll probably die before it is finished. It is probably best to not get started on a series that will never be completed. :P
1. ummmm did you just say that he's a better writer than Patrick Rothfuss?
*eyebrow raised*

2. I lold at the second part

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:45 pm

XD

I just asked my sister, who likes Twilight, how good The Host is compared to Twilight.
She said it's the same.

. . .

xD
There's no chance I'm reading that book. Sorry.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:55 pm

Have you ever read Twilight? Because, honestly, it sounds to me like you're just another one of those I HATE TWILIGHT ON PRINCIPLE people. The story of The Host is good, and it doesn't involve vampires that sparkle. Grow a pair and give it a shot. "The same" could just mean that the writing style, pacing, story advancement, etc is the same which is fine because she writes well. The subject matter is what makes the difference, and The Host has an intriguing story that is nothing like Twilight.
ummmm did you just say that he's a better writer than Patrick Rothfuss?
From Brandon Sander's facebook page:
Pat Rothfuss has read The Way of Kings. Response: "Brandon Sanderson's books are so good that he's starting to piss me off."
Brandon Sanderson is at least as good as Patrick Rothfuss, however Sanderson is much more adept at actually writing a book and finishing it in a timely fashion.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:11 pm

I've read one of Sander's books, Elantris, which was pretty good.
However, it didn't resonate with me in the same way that Name Of the Wind did.
So, I can't really say I consider him a better writer, based on experience.

How long it takes for him to pump out books doesn't have an influence on that to me.

As for Twilight, I'd rather keep my manhood, than try to push my way through it. So no, I haven't read it. However, for most books and movies alike, I gauge my possible interest in a book by reading some or all of it's spoilers on Wikipedia.
However, my roots against it lie also in my experience with its fans on another forum, and it's overall undeserved hype.

Yet, do you have to read a book to know whether it's trash or not?
I certainly don't have to smoke a cigarette to know that it's bad for me.
In my opinion, the two main parts to a good book, are its concept and writing style. I've already determined that the overall concept of the book is undeserving of my attention, and you need more than good writing style to make a book worth reading.

However, I'm also part of an anti-twilight forum, and have thus read enough analysi(ses?) of Stephanie Myers actual writing style to determine that it, also, sucks.

Furthermore, Stephen King's a meritable writer, I trust his opinion, as well.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:22 pm

"The same" could just mean that the writing style, pacing, story advancement, etc is the same which is fine because she writes well.
I really do know better than to bother, but I must say (really, I MUST say it, I am compelled and cannot stop myself despite my better judgment) that whatever Stephanie Meyer may do "well" (and there ARE things she does quite well or she wouldn't be where she is) writing is not one of them.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:24 pm

Sure she does. Not great, and not even good, but it's far from unreadable. But, whatever.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:14 pm

It's pretty unreadable. I tried once, I actually tried. It was the first and only time I've ever thought about sending someone a death threat, or a suggestion of suicide.
-Alan Watts

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Then you guys just suck. My opinion is not wrong. You're all just so blinded by your rational hate of Twilight that you don't give her other book a chance. *nods*

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Then you guys just suck. My opinion is not wrong. You're all just so blinded by your rational hate of Twilight that you don't give her other book a chance. *nods*

You're all just so blinded by your rational hate of Twilight

rational hate of Twilight
Yes. Yes we are.
-Alan Watts

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:09 pm

It's a good thing I wasn't talking about Twilight then, huh? :)

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:33 pm

I've read Twilight. I've also read The Host. The quality of The Host is about a million times that of Twilight. (I've heard the third Twilight book is much better than the rest, but that the second is worse than the first. I can't force myself to brave it.) Her writing in The Host is nothing to write home about, but definitely not unreadable.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:42 pm

To be fair, I've never read THE HOST. I've read the whole TWILIGHT series though (had to, for work) and have read some of her unedited writing and let me tell you, people, she does not write well. If it's palatable at ALL it's made so by her agent and her editors.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:44 pm

It's a good thing I wasn't talking about Twilight then, huh? :)
I don't care if she wrote the other six volumes of the epic saga and JRR Tolkien's zombie rose from his grave and called her the greatest writer of all time.

The publishing of Twilight must have been bored executives playing chicken with each other, seeing which one could keep the farce up longest. That or someone thought they could pull of a bonafide Springtime for Hitler, and it went exactly the way they were hoping it wouldn't.

I'm not saying her other stuff might not be palatable, but I'd just like us to come to a place where we can agree that Twilight is slightly better written than My Immortal, but the fact that My Immortal's author hasn't made it clear that they were serious about the work makes Twilight the worst piece of fiction ever made public.
-Alan Watts

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:05 pm

I never said Twilight was any good. I've never read it, so I don't know. I also don't have any plans to read it. All I said was that The Host was pretty good, and that the writing wasn't horrible, and that others preconceptions about Stephanie Meyers Twilight saga should be ignored when deciding if you should read The Host or not.

Haven
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Haven » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:13 pm

I am going to second the City of Bones series by Cassandra Clare- She is hands down my favorite YA urban fantasy writer :) and ive been a fan of hers from before she was ever published. shes got skills, and if i could pick any fantasy world to live in it would be hers. I love how she describes things!!
Find out who you are... And do it on purpose.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:20 pm

Wil, I agree about The Host. It is a great book and I think people should give it a chance.

I also agree that Stephenie Meyer is not the best writer. BUT, she is a great story-teller. (Writing and story-telling are not the same, in my book.)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:54 pm

*puts on librarian hat*
How does it compare to the mod hat? Is it another pointy pope hat?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:20 am

*puts on librarian hat*
How does it compare to the mod hat? Is it another pointy pope hat?
Is the mod had a pointy pope hat? I've always pictured it as a red trucker's cap with "MOD" written on it.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:38 am

I always pictured it as a pointy wizard's hat.
Last edited by Eddie Pinz on Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:15 am

mod hat = bowler hat.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are