BP Oil Spill

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:45 pm

I'm not offput by the fact that Kevin Costner has the technology to help with the issue, but by the idea that the oil industry is so out of step with technology to clean up its own messes that is takes Kevin Costner's celebrity to generate interest in a machine that apparently does exactly what they need it to very well.

As I understand it, oil companies don't maintain their own cleanup divisions - there are completely separate companies and organizations which cleanup spills. What the hell have these guys been doing the past few decades? It's not like they're an unpleasant cog in BP's machine which upper management underfunds and ignores - the entire purpose of their organization is to be prepared as possible in the event of a spill, and it's only months into the biggest spill in history that they're finding out about a machine that does their job seemingly better than anything else in the market?

Maybe I should rethink my position on nuclear power.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:12 am

Richard Epstein, a prominent law professor at Chicago, had an op-ed in the WSJ yesterday on why capping environmental tort damages is a terrible, no good, very bad idea. I disagree with Epstein on a lot of issues, but this ain't one of 'em.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”