PwebCon/Gatherings/Shindigs/Meet-Ups

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

PwebCon/Gatherings/Shindigs/Meet-Ups

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:34 pm

Previously the PwebCon/Gathering/Shindig thread, now for meet-ups in general.

--------------------------------------
Update, for those interested:

Dates: August 12-16th, 2010
Airport: Denver International

Definites
Steph & Brian/eggbalancer
Alea

Maybe-Probably
ValentineNicole (said yes but I'll wait until ticket purchased to move to Definites)
Ed (same as Nicole's parenthetical)
Adam (barring any freak work issues, will be there)

Maybe-Maybe
Olhado_ (waiting to hear about job offer)
Virmoli/Virlomi/Janelle (checking calendar for conflicts)
Mich (Life stuff awaiting straightening out)
blueantoidgirl

Maybe-Not Likely-But-Hasn't-Ruled-It-Out
Elf (depends on family but might be in the area)
Wil (not sure what the thought process is but it involves water parks)
Megxers (Life stuff awaiting straightening out)
W_S-Chris (Life and mountain issues)

Chris and Janelle should have updates by the end of this month at the latest.

zero is on one of those lists, I think, but I'm not sure if his attendance is dependent on more people going so I'm leaving him off for now.

----------------------------------

I don't want to ruin Kim's lovely thread any further, so here we are.

For those who expressed interest, I have a few questions:

1) What year are you thinking? I left it kind of open with a 2.5 year window, so preference for 2010, 2011, 2012? I think it bares pointing out, it's possible to do more than one (as in, small gathering one year, bigger another).

2) For those in school, when does your school year start? Or, more generally, is there any time anyone can't go for sure? For me, the Director won't allow Children's librarians to go on vacation during the summer reading program, so June and July are automatically out the window for me (unless it's 2012 we're looking at).

3) Is Colorado okay with everyone, no matter the year? Ed seems to be willing to go anywhere, I certainly am, Steph is already there, Kirsten expressed interest. Mich? Jan (assuming you get things straightened out with Paul's schooling and such)? zero?

I'll send a text to Olhado_-Chris, since he once expressed interest in attending a gathering of any size, pretty much anywhere.

Basically, I think getting 5-10 of us for a first time would be a raging success given our track record.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:47 pm

2011 or 2012 summer time (May-August) would be best since that's when Paul is (probably) not in school. We are planning on having a 2nd kid eventually, so we'll have to see where that falls into those plans.

Colorado would be cool. I think it would be doable, as long as we are not in Newfoundland. If we're in NF, I think all bets are off. It's expensive to travel anywhere from there - and with kid(s) especially.

Unfortunately, we are really tight on money and our parents also live far away (in opposite directions), so much of our travel money is spent on visiting them. I would REALLY REALLY like to go to a pweb meetup. More then you know. But, I'm just saying, it'll be hard. A lot of things about our family's future is up in the air right now while we wait on Paul's school stuff.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:26 pm

I was going to start a thread myself, but you beat me to it. I'm adding my support for Colorado.

I say we shoot for spring/summer 2011, it's far enough in the future to give us time for planning and give everyone time to save up money and free up space in their calendars. At the same time, it's close enough that hopefully we can avoid procrastinating and losing interest like we've done in past. Additionally, it meets both your rather vague "next 2.5 years" requirement and Kimmie's more specific "not during '11-'12 school year" one.

I also propose we make this a recurring event, sort of like a family reunion but for your Pweb family instead of your genetic one, either annually or at least every few years. But we need to focus on getting the first one done before we get ahead of ourselves.
The enemy's fly is down.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:28 pm

1) I prefer 2012, sometime after May. My time is not my own from May 2011 to May 2012. I could potentiall swing late December 2010/early January 2011.

2) My school year tends to start in late august and end in early may.

3) I could do Colorado... it's not my favorite place in the world, but it's alright.
-Kim

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:54 pm

This is why I think it needs to be recurring. Using Kim as an example, she probably won't be able to make it to the first one in let's say May 2011, but maybe she can come to the second one a year later. We'll have a small group the first year, then hopefully it will grow over time with new people attending each year in addition to most of the group from the previous year(s). But again, we have to have a first Pwebcon before we start planning the second or third one.
The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:56 pm

I also propose we make this a recurring event...either annually or at least every few years.
Sounds good to me. If (general) you can't make one, you might be able to make the next year's, or something like that.

Anyhow, I'm just throwing this out, even if no one else can make it this year, I will be asking Steph if I can visit in August (and I'll likely ask Ed to forego the Western loop we'd talked about to join me in CO instead). Even if it meant I only got to see just those two. Because I <3 Steph and Ed is awesome. I'd still be willing to do a 2011 and/or 2012, so that wouldn't count me out of anything.

With that said, I'm being bad. Back to headache...I mean, back to work.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm graduating in May, so, presumably, starting this summer and onward I'll be a fully functioning adult with a real job and vacation time, as well as a flexible budget due to my mad money-managing skillz. Meaning no matter what I tell you, it's hard to say whether I'd actually be able to make it to anything or not. So I guess the later it is, the more likely I'd be able to go (what with increased stability), but no matter when or where I will try my hardest to be able to go.

Meaning Colorado = a-okay, as far as I can see. I might even be living there, who knows!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:05 pm

I'm in for nothing if we can't tease the Ewok.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:14 pm

See, my thinking is if we can hold off on teasing the midget right now, it'll be that much more fun to tease her in person. ;)
The enemy's fly is down.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:19 pm

Ed is awesome.
8)
...skillz...
With a Z...Nice!

I would be down for Colorado instead of doing the loop(assuming Steph doesn't mind me crashing the party), but the loop sounded fun. So if Colorado happens this year, we might have to plan the loop for another time.

For me, the sooner it happens, the more likely I can guarantee my attendance. I mean, I really don't know what I'm doing next week, let alone two and a half years from now. I could be married, have a kid(s), be unemployed, be working on a crazy project that requires me there, etc. The possibilities are endless. But I know for this year that I have means and time available to do something. I would assume I would next year as well, but I can't guarantee anything. The year after that even less so. But I would definitely try to be there no matter what, no matter where it is. But I don't really do the whole planning thing, so just tell me where and when to so up and I should be there.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:01 pm

Anyhow, I'm just throwing this out, even if no one else can make it this year, I will be asking Steph if I can visit in August (and I'll likely ask Ed to forego the Western loop we'd talked about to join me in CO instead). Even if it meant I only got to see just those two. Because I <3 Steph and Ed is awesome. I'd still be willing to do a 2011 and/or 2012, so that wouldn't count me out of anything.
Are you serious? I'd love for you to visit!!!

And I didn't really expect people to be so down for Colorado, but I'm happy everyone is. I'm a SAHM, so I'd be able to make some plans for the event with relative ease.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:15 pm

I'd be game for a Pwebcon. But pretty much anywhere is difficult for me. Colorado is feasible during/around the school year (August-April). Though in 2011/2012 I might not be going back to Alaska for summer, so maybe those could work. My plans for the next couple years are kind of up in the air right now, but if there is a gathering close by (and I have a car), I'd love to go.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:17 pm

I am game for this. if you will allow historical members and unsuccessful lucker.

But seriously, we need 1-2 years to plan this? How big are we planning on making it? I participate in meetups all the time, on other sites where someone post a meetup that will take place in 3 to 6 months. We just usually meet at a restaurant or bar or someplace public like that and go from there and these are people who come from all over the world. In fact, I should visit that site again, if only to satisfy my traveling bug. 8)

But, if you are planning a large event, then I am still game; but similar to what Ed said it the further down the line the less I can guarantee anything. :)
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:26 pm

But seriously, we need 1-2 years to plan this? How big are we planning on making it? I participate in meetups all the time, on other sites where someone post a meetup that will take place in 3 to 6 months. We just usually meet at a restaurant or bar or someplace public like that and go from there and these are people who come from all over the world. In fact, I should visit that site again, if only to satisfy my traveling bug. 8)
Yeah, well that's easy if you
a) have money
b) don't have kids
c) don't have a job that requires you to book all vacation time a year in advance.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:55 pm

Ouch, Jayelle! I guess that will teach me to start posting again. :lol:

I was just sharing my experience that is all. It really does not matter to me and chances are I probably will be ready in a year as well.
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Randomly, I will probably be in the Rockies in the summer. As for beyond this summer, I can't say where I'll be living/working/schooling, so I have no idea. As for the recurring idea, I think maybe "regional cons" could be fun too, ie a Washington State meetup or Southwestern US one.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:00 pm

I'm in for nothing if we can't tease the Ewok.
Oh, go ahead and tease. This has all been one big tease, it seems. *sniffle*

If not a tease, it's certainly been a repeat of all the past conversations.

As for me, I'm serious, Steph. With or without Ed, or any other Pwebber, I'd like to travel this August and I've been dropping CO as a possible place to go left and right in conversations I've had with my little brother. I thought about going back to Chicago, making a yearly trip until the Big Day but then, I've been twice, will go back, and I want to see you.

Summer Reading ends July 31st and Admin is pretty much expecting Youth Services to run away; I'll have a week if Janelle visits me here in AZ (though I've asked her to consider us meeting in CO in August), two if she doesn't. I could stay for as long as I could afford to feed and lodge myself. I'd also want to go when it'd allow me the most time to see you, of course.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:36 pm

Washington would be cool ! but not during harvest :lol:

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Re: PwebCon/Gathering/Shindig Discussion (No Teasing Me Allo

Postby zeroguy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:27 pm

zero?
Most any time, anywhere. Just not around something like Christmas where I'm expected to be elsewhere.

And yes, I am serious, in case that wasn't clear.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:39 pm

I would totally be in for a pweb get together (and I love the idea of having it a couple of years down the road, for money reasons).

Colorado is a good idea, i've wanted to visit, and I do have family there. Where in Colorado?

I mean, hopefully i'll have a real job that has vacation time and some spending money. So, with all that allowing, i'm in!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:58 am

Colorado is a good idea, i've wanted to visit, and I do have family there. Where in Colorado?
I could plan Denver area, Northern Colorado (including RMNP), or the Colorado Springs area, (or a combination, since they are really not that far apart) depending on what people were interested in. Or, we could get some condos in Steamboat or Glenwood Springs.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Update, for those interested:

August 12-16th, 2010

Definites
Steph
Alea

Maybe-Probably
ValentineNicole (said yes but I'll wait until ticket purchased to move to Definites)
Ed (same as Nicole's parenthetical)

Maybe-Maybe
Olhado_ (waiting to hear about job offer)
Virmoli/Virlomi/Janelle (checking calendar for conflicts)
Mich (Life stuff awaiting straightening out)

Maybe-Not Likely-But-Hasn't-Ruled-It-Out
Elf (depends on family but might be in the area)
Wil (not sure what the thought process is but it involves water parks)
Megxers (Life stuff awaiting straightening out)

Chris and Janelle should have updates by the end of this month at the latest.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:19 pm

Hopefully I will know within the next few months, as well. That might coincide with me moving to a new state, or something like that.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:58 pm

I don't see why I wouldn't be in, but you'll have to let me know the details.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:13 pm

You'll need to let me know what details I need to let you know.

Date: Aug. 12th-16th - That's a Thursday through Monday, with Thursday and Monday being the travel days for me. Specific times won't be posted here but I'll PM those if they matter at all.

Hotel: Not sure. That depends on how many/who shows up. I'll do single sex or co-ed sleeping arrangements, bed, floor, whatever.

Activities: Not sure. That also depends on how many/who shows up. Nicole and I discussed doing a Sunday brunch (in your Sunday best sort of thing but honestly, if that requires I go from carry on only to check in, I may say to hell with that ;)) and watching a so-bad-it's-good movie at some point but that's all assuming she doesn't flake and assuming it works with whoever is there.

Beyond that, which isn't all that helpful anyway, there's not much to tell at the moment. This should change the closer it gets.

ETA: I'm treating this, as best as I can, as a Steph and I trip until I get verification that tickets are being purchased. Not that I don't trust you all but we flake quite often; it'd be best for me to assume nothing.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:14 am

[envy]

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:27 am

[envy]
Seconded. I love forum meetings..
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:35 am

Drat my location.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:13 am

You know what's in Colorado? A huge-ass awesome water park!

I'm considering it, but I'm only in the speculation "maybe-not likely but-hasn't-ruled-it-out" part of this, but if I do come it would be all by my lonesome, and I'd drive... mostly because I hear the drive on 70 is awesome.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:52 am

mostly because I hear the drive on 70 is awesome.
It's certainly not from the other direction. *curses Kansas*
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:19 am

I'm also in the maybe-but-hasn't-ruled-it-out camp. It is just after my one year Pweb anniversary but this summer is going to be busy/expensive/all over the place.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:38 am

I really wish I could -- especially since CO is relatively close -- but I just don't see how I/we can swing it this year. :(
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:24 pm

I heard that Kansas is a boring s*** hole to drive through. :P

Also, I'm serious about that water park. *hint hint* I mean, it IS going to be upper 80's in August for Denver. *nudge nudge* Plus, water parks are fun!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:47 pm

No kidding. Particularly the western half of the state.

Took many a trip as a kid from Texas to North Dakota. I could never, ever sleep in the car. I was constantly looking out the window. I just kind of felt like, if I fell asleep, there was a chance I would miss something.

However, I would sleep like a baby through Kansas. Even I knew that there wasn't going to be anything there -- even though I stayed awake through West Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and the Dakotas.

(The highways are generally really nice, though.)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Seven hours of nothingness. It feels like you'll never get out. And keep in mind this is coming from a guy who went to a high school that was located in the middle of a f**king corn field.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”