PwebCon/Gatherings/Shindigs/Meet-Ups

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:58 pm

I've been here less then a minute and I'm already more Real then Most of you! Muahahahahahahaha!
Wanna bet ;)

Sounds like an awesome time, though!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:41 pm

I've been here less then a minute and I'm already more Real then Most of you! Muahahahahahahaha!
I seem to recall you had a first account called blueantoid. Whatever happened to that?
You would be quite mistaken, sir, as this is a completely different and infinetly more awesome new boyfriend. I believe I already covered the breakup.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:38 am

*totally jealous*
pfft, it's only like, what, a seven-eight hour drive for you? Fred however can be excused for not driving. ;)

I was at disneyland today. I received two utterly bizarre phone messages, still working on deciphering them.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Carrot hamburgler

Postby Graff^ » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:05 am

I seem to recall you had a first account called blueantoid. Whatever happened to that?
You would be quite mistaken, sir, as this is a completely different and infinetly more awesome new boyfriend. I believe I already covered the breakup.
Woops! My bad sorry.

Then I welcome you Phenious! :)
Where does friendship end and love begin?

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:05 am

Given the amount of car repairs we've been doing for the past few months, the 7-8 hour drive would probably turn into a stranded-on-the-roadside adventure.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Phenious
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Phenious » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:33 pm

You would be quite mistaken, sir, as this is a completely different and infinetly more awesome new boyfriend.
And he Has a Baby Tested, Baby Approved Face.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:06 pm

It's the Not-Potato! Excellent.

I am home after a small layover in Phoenix (during which I tried Ethiopian cuisine for the first time and met a person from SR) and a too long bus ride.

I didn't take a billion pictures -only 200some odd, which is a pretty low number for me- but I was too busy having an awesome time to try harder. I'll post some, including the group picture, after I've written my novel documenting the trip. That will take some time, so it may or may not be up tonight. Definitely soon, though.

ETA:

Adam, as quickly and best as I can, the messages:

"I don't think you're working so you must be out with Reneeeee with 5 E's. I have a favor to ask you. First, take your pants off. Second, change Erica, aka blueantoidgirl's name to Fawkes - F-A-W-K-E-S...and just so you know I'm not asking this without her permission, here she is [insert Erica stating that she is her and you have her permission]. Third, there's an ellipses, fourth, profit! Okay, talk to you later, bye."

Then I forgot to ask you something, so I called back with a PS, in which Tyler was supposed to make a screeching noise but instead did a Vader breath, which made us laugh like a bunch of drunks.

Pie is awesome.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:20 pm

Actual name-change? It's a bit garbled but I can do that too.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:28 pm

Actual name-change? It's a bit garbled but I can do that too.
only if you take off your pants.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:33 pm

I'm okay with that.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:42 pm

And he Has a Baby Tested, Baby Approved Face.
It's true. Kinley ate his face. And he earned the pweb stamp of approval. We had to take it back briefly when he mentioned never having seen the Princess Bride, but the rest of his other coolness overrode that and he earned it again. Even if he does suck at LIFE.

I'm a bit exhausted. I dragged 3 kids all over Colorado to convert Alea to the coolness of this state, but we had plenty of fun and I'm sad it over, but I'm happy for sleep, and this sentence may never end since I'm tired and english don't work good when I'm tired.

I'm hoping that next time we can have more pwebbers all together.

I'll post more after Alea posts her account of the trip, but I'll just say right now, don't believe everything she says. She's going to lie about me, so don't listen!!

P.S. Brian really puts the Arrrrr in pwebcon.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

eggbalancer
Launchie
Launchie

Postby eggbalancer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:04 pm

Try not to act too shocked that I'm posting. I figured since all the hardcore Pwebbers told me I should get on and post at the Pwebcon shindig (at my house) that I had better get on and post. For those of you who don't remember or never knew, I'm Steph's little-heard-from husband. Not that I don't talk a lot in real life. I just don't post on Pweb very often. Steph and Alea are going to try and get me to post more often. I'll see what I can do.

Anywho, "lower-case r real Pwebcon" (if that's what the kids are calling it these days) was great (to be read with a Scottish accent). We'll have to do it again sometime. Although if it's not in Colorado again, Steph will probably go without me. Silly working for the Man. (note: she says she wouldn't go without me. Something about "too many kids" and "not enough straight jackets" or something like that).

We're tired and going to sleep.

(side note: We proved once again that having fun at a shindig has nothing to do with your consumption of alcohol, only with your consumption of sugar.)
"I probably wouldn't pillage someone for just their wallet."

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:40 pm

I am so sad that I'm too poor to have gone. I really hoped I would be better established by now, but hey, such is life.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:01 am

Silly working for the Man.
I hear that. It's too bad that that's who writes the paycheque and not somebody way cooler.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Phenious
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Phenious » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:39 pm

It's true. Kinley ate his face. And he earned the pweb stamp of approval. We had to take it back briefly when he mentioned never having seen the Princess Bride, but the rest of his other coolness overrode that and he earned it again. Even if he does suck at LIFE.
Had to suck at something. Can't be this awesome all the time. At least Kinley throughly enjoyed my company, regardless of what I have and haven't seen.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:36 pm

Here goes nothing. The riveting, more details than you ever cared to know tale of my journey:

Last Wednesday, thinking I had until 2AM to do the last minute preparations for my trip, got a nice surprise when my dad (the one taking me to the bus station) said he'd be over in a little over an hour. Thankfully, I'd done most of the hard work the night before, out of excited anticipation.

The bus ride up to Phoenix was a blast. About 60 miles outside of Sucktown, heading up, is a Border Patrol checkpoint and this stop includes agents boarding, asking citizenship, and checking documents. One man sitting across the aisle from me was woken up for this and got very testy when asked if he was a US citizen. For the entire rest of the way 100+ miles, he was grumbling about that and about the driver and another passenger talking.

However, he started to freak me out when his grumblings started to include things like "bitch nigger" (aimed at the driver), "motherfucker", "shut the f*** up", and on three separate occasions he stood up and spit at the back of the passenger talking to the driver, none of which seemed to be noticed. If it was, they ignored the man.

I certainly sympathized with wanting quiet -it was a 3:05AM departure for me and he had been on when I boarded- but he really had me worried. To make things more exciting, when we arrived in Phoenix, while still on the bus, he pushed me and with a grin said, "Oops." I got myself to the airport and things went smoothly from there.

Once I arrived at Denver, I followed all the nice big signs to the baggage claim -though, I have to admit to nearly taking the wrong turn once- and there was Steph and the kids. She gave me a big old hug, which I loved, and then the introductions to the kids were had. We proceeded to walk over to where Brian was working -he was a level below us- and we played a lovely game of Where's Waldo? Funnily enough, I found him before Steph did. We tried getting his attention but it wasn't working, so off we went to the parking lot, in an attempt to beat the clock (clock won, unfortunately). The devil horse waved goodbye as we left; he really does have the creepiest eyes.

I had my second peanut butter and jelly sandwich ever and the first in 7 or 8 years on the ride to downtown. That bread was...mouthgasm worthy. Steph made it. I want to marry her (more on that later).

We found parking and then walked 16th Street, which is one of the coolest, most vibrant downtowns I've seen. I was in love with the functional, painted pianos that littered the streets.

Being the goobs we were, we kept forgetting to check the meeter time, so we rushed a bit where we didn't need to but really, I was quite satisfied with the look I got. We saw the Capital Building -I joined the non-sexual mile high club for a moment- some wicked awesome churchs, and nearby, the Molly Brown house. We then popped over to the Denver Art Museum and got swept away by the sights (cue me inserting picture here to make that pun more obvious...only, I'm lazy, so you get other pictures).

From there, we went to Casa Bonita, which is only the most awesome restaurant a person could ever go to. There is a diver, pinatas, gorillas, mariachi bands...and damn good sopapillas. Hello, liquid honey; I've had it on my trail mix, as in baked in or whatever, but not like that. De-freaking-licious.

Afterward, we headed out to a little trail/park in the Red Rock area? Wherever it was, it was gorgeous. Trees, a stream, horse or cow manure...Following that, we headed back to the airport so I could finally meet Brian face to face. Poor guy was occupied, however, with finding out from Steph why all three of his children were crying just then. What it amounted to was: long day.

There was the potential for hand puppets on the ride back, talk of pirate party (lots of that), etc. When we got to their house, there was a little small talk but basically, everyone was tired, so off to bed early.

Day two! The boys were ever so excited to have a guest because they were my alarm clock. That was amusing, waking up to big ol' eyes staring at me and big ol' smiles on their faces as they at first quietly told me to wake up, then got louder and more physical. I make for an excellent trampoline, I think Brayden would tell you. It was adorable.

After we got moving, Tyler went to gymnastics, we later went to Good Times, which is amazing fast food and then went to the store for cheese. LOTS of cheese. (That was that day, wasn't it, Steph? I'm awful in the memory department). We dropped stuff off at the house, then onwards to the zoo!

Guys, I have to say, I think my chances of getting Steph to marry me are pretty good. I mean, you know what happens with Pwebbers at the zoo, right? She was totally planning to make a move on me (more on that later).

Two parts of the trip to the zoo really stick out:

1) the agenda (giraffe) who had his head up against the wall, in an "Oh, FML" way.

2) the midget monkeys. So, we're standing there, looking at the most adorable little monkey you've ever seen when all of a sudden, he opens his mouth and screeches this really high pitched screech. We couldn't hear it in full force but we got the gist of it. A few moments later, his little friend runs over and throws himself down at the first guy's feet. First guy proceeds to lick his armpits. And then the rest of him. I think that's one thing we've learned at the zoo that can never be unlearned.

Much tiredness later, we went to the house and there was the most heavenly homemade mac 'n' cheese ever. There were also peas (a first for me not eating around them) and they were pretty darn good. Guys, Steph can cook.

After the boys were put to bed, Steph started making me some flowers to wear in my hair and asked, for the second time that day, for me to share my Pweb knowledge. Wouldn't you know it, I was like, "Uh, durrr?" I had no idea what to say. Then again, she knows way more about that place than she made out initially. Tricksy woman.

Brian showed up, played some game that may have had the word monkey in its title, and then we all went upstairs to their room. Bow-chicka-bow-wow. Kidding, kidding. We really did go upstairs but it was so they could show me the most hilarious, oft repeated commercials for TomTom, featuring Vader and Yoda. There were also pirate videos. I learned an important lesson that night: pirates don't play put-put gold, they pillage it! Or something like that.

Day three! Why, hello there, first ever poptart. It was tasty, in a totally bad for you way.

We -and by we, I mean Steph- packed things for the day. That was ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK DAY! Before that, however, we stopped a few places, such as her parents' house (I saw the piano from the Dave and Rahl drive to EnderCon video!) and where she and Brian took engagement pictures. It made me really happy to see these places out of Steph History. I was especially impressed with all the local art (sculptures, mostly - best looking sculpture park I've seen since the Walker in Minneapolis).

But moving along, we made it up to Estes Park, where we tried to see the Stanley Hotel; very famous, I hear. Wanting to mull over whether or not it was worth springing $5 to park there, we kept moving along and eventually ended up having a sandwich picnic in the Park.

We then walked around Sprague Lake (yes?) and feeling weather that is normal for our "winter" season, I fell in love with life. It's crazy how automatic that is but I really couldn't have been less happy at that moment than I was. We hopped back in the car a bit later and headed to the top and I was just blown away, I mean blown away, by the views.

I would have stayed forever (I found a tree to camp underneath) but we had to head back. We stopped at a pizza joint on the way back in and the guy who called our order (and said my name correctly, brownie points to him) reminded me a lot of Wind Swept-Chris. I was sad I didn't have a Sharpie, because I was fully prepared to write "Pweb" on one of the bricks. Back in the car, off to the house. Heard the most fun little wallpaper song ever.

After the kids were put to bed, there was some Chess. Who the hell knew chess could be so impassioned? It made me so mad, but in a really good way. Soon after, there was sleep.

Day four! I think this was my favorite day, if I had to choose one. We woke up, ate a nice meal prepared by Steph, then headed to church. I could have opted out of that but being in church makes me question things that I should be questioning more often. Not sure I want to get into that at the moment. Needless to say, it was a positive experience.

We went back to the house after and the quest to make the most awesome lasagna ever started. Pretty shortly after that, Erica and Phenious showed up and okay, it was a teeny strange at first but we got comfortable with each other soon enough. Brian showed his world record stuff, Steph did an amazing job stoking the conversational fires, Erica got me to confess to being all of Pweb. Before we sat down to eat dinner, there was some Lego SW and Erica and Tyler compared tattoos - I eventually ended up tattooed myself. I even managed to talk Phenious into registering...rather, I talked Erica into registering him but close enough.

Dinner came and went, I was so stuffed with good food I could have stranded myself on a beach, and we decided to play LIFE. LIFE may have hated Phenious at first but it ended in me really sucking at it; I came in last. BUT! I got to marry Edward Norton just at the end. We followed up LIFE with dessert, a yummy pie Erica and Phenious brought along, and then we called Adam and there was much laughing. Seriously, my stomach hurt from all the laughing. We came up with some new terms and ideas for the Pweb lexicon. If you are not Real, you are real but most likely not a potato. We discussed whether or not this PwebCon counted and decided it was lower case "r" PwebCon but that someday, we'd have a Capital "R" PwebCon. Brian, it was decided, put the "arrr" in this "real PwebCon."

Then it was time to take the group picture, so Steph did her hair and thankfully helped me with mine; I even got to use her flower.

Now, I got to set up my camera and turned to find, there was no space for me on the couch. "Just lay across us." I felt really bad, as I'm not a light person at all, but it worked out alright in the end; no one ended up terribly bruised or crushed, I don't think. What's great was, after a second attempt, I got felt up in the general area of my backside. I thought maybe one of the kids was doing it because they're kids and messing with body parts is fun, but no, no, it was guess who? That's right. Steph copped a feel. She wants me.

Following that was some really fun, really cool piano playing by the mister of the household. The guy has a gift and that gift got us some "My Little Buttercup" from Three Amigos.

After Erica and Phenious left, Steph and I stayed up very late/early talking. I think that helped her figure out I can in fact speak, something I think she was questioning for a few days given my complete and utter lack of social skills. There were so many things about this trip that I loved but I think that was my favorite.

Day five! Saddest day ever.

We woke up, dressed, and went to get cinnamon rolls for breakfast and geez Louise, were they huge and damn good. After we ate what we could and boxed the rest (I later ate these on the bus ride home), we headed to the parking lot to hit up the Peach Man so I could have my very first peach. Sweetheart that he was, he gave us peaches for free. I devoured mine in the car but the boys had to wait until they got home.

While I got increasingly sad over it getting closer to time to leave, Steph and family signed my book. Or...did that happen before breakfast? I think it was after. I read that on the bus ride and for the fifth or so time that trip, I got dangerously close to crying. There was moisture to be sure but I wouldn't let myself cry this trip. See, I have this awful habit of crying during every single Pweb trip for some silly reason or another, so I said none of that here. I almost lost it, though, when Brayden asked where I was going when I reached for my luggage and said it wasn't okay for me to go home.

We left for the airport, were serenaded with Bill Nye music by the boys, and then were in for a little, temporary shock. My seat was not guaranteed because of the time I was checking in and thanks to their overbooking the flight. What?! Can't go home? Darn...Steph was getting pretty upset over it, though. I tried to tell her things would work out fine, no worries and lo and behold, they did. (Brian was my escort to the gate...like how Steph was getting fresh with me and then made her husband be my escort? I'm in like Flynn with that couple.)

I didn't get to give hugs to everyone, so I'm hoping she'll do that for me.

So that was the blow by blow. The thing is, that doesn't begin to do the trip justice. I hardly mentioned the kids, who were a ginormous and pleasant part of the weekend. Kinley, who I've decided is my Pweb goddaughter so nyah to all you others who wish you could have that job, got over 20 compliments/comments while I was there; the boys had me laughing (and Steph nearly crying) most of the time. There were jokes that were hilarious to us, namely pirate, TomTom, or monkey related, that I don't think are nearly as funny to anyone who wasn't there.

There was never a moment I felt like Steph and family were strange internet people. They welcomed me into their home and into their family so well, so fully, that I question how there was ever a time I wasn't part of it. I marveled at Steph and here is probably where she thinks I'm lying but guys, she is an amazing woman (and is married to an equally amazing man); to use a word Tyler was throwing around left and right, she is fierce. She's also stronger than she thinks, loving, warm, comforting, open, and friendly. That woman has no clue, no clue how phenomenal she is and how much of a powerhouse she is. Anyone who doesn't take the time to get to know her, I mean really get to know her, and spend time in her presence is living a poorer life than they might otherwise.

I tend to question my religion, religion in general but I can't deny, on some level, I truly believe there's something in the universe that is magical because this trip was exactly what I needed, at just the time I needed it.

Anyhow, I've said more than enough so I'll end with this: Pwebbers are amazing and I sincerely hope we can make a group thing happen and sooner rather than later.

P.S. I was fascinated with all the damn clouds. Have a s***** of pictures.

Store that made Steph think of Ali

Capital building

Downtown, misc. buildings

Downtown, clouds!

Molly Brown House

Building by the Denver Art Museum - w0ot! clouds

D.A.M.

Casa Bonita gorilla

Armpit monkeys

FML agenda/giraffe

My favorite cloud picture; it looked like a painting to me

Tattoos!

Dinner

Us!

Kinley, Erica, Phenious, Steph, Tyler, Brian, Brayden, Alea

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:25 pm

Wow, it sounds like a completely awesome time! Very CUTE group picture!

*still very jealous*
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:02 pm

I told you she'd lie. I was right.

Things Alea forgot to mention (in no order other than what comes to my mind):

The 40 degree weather at the top of Trail Ridge Road. (She forgot to bring a jacket and had to borrow mine.)
Being at 12,000 ft elevation and still having her feet on the ground. Brayden made her eat a pop tart. I made her eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (with homemade bread and jam), peas, brussel sprouts, peaches.
The cheese was a REALLY good sale, but to get the price I had to buy it in groups of 8!
The gorilla and the princess doing the limbo at Casa Bonita and Black Bart's cave! Arrr! (Which Tyler is scared of, so it was extra fun walking through!) Oh, and how Casa Bonita has the worst mexican food in the world (minus the sopapillas), so she had chicken fried steak, instead.
She kept putting her bum right on my hand, so she was asking for it when i felt it up! (Besides, i'm a professional feel-upper. It's not my first bum!)
She might not have cried, but I sure did.
My cinnamon rolls didn't rise on sunday morning, so I had to start from scratch to cook breakfast again. Then I left the rolls in a warm (but turned off) oven to see if they would rise better and then forgot about them, so when Brian turned on the oven for lasagna, we accidentally baked some nice cinnamon hockey pucks.
She refused to let me buy any of our meals and used Tyler for her dirty work to accomplish this.

I'm sure there is more, but other things I should mention:

I posted said Star Wars TomTom videos in Complete Randomness, so check them out, as they are seriously funny.
I gave Brian a haircut today, so his fro no longer looks as ridiculous as is does in that picture.
Erica and Phenious are awesome people! My kids loved them and we had a blast!
Alea is incredible. put up with my screaming kids (K doesn't like to be in the car seat that much and when she starts crying, it puts the boys on edge, especially when they haven't had naps) and not being able to do all that much, since I have 3 of them in tow. She also put up with my yelling at them. She didn't complain when I made her watch Chess with me, or when I ditched her to go to bed early-ish. She listened to me talk about my kids over and over (and even gave me good advice!) and complain how hard my life is, when I have so much that I don't have room to complain. She ate everything I fed her and even pretended to like it all! She sat through 3 hours of church with us with no complaints. She cleaned up my living room, washed off my table and swept my floor while I was putting the kids to bed. She folded up the sheets and blankets on the couch and put back the pillows every morning. She put up with me. She was wonderful and I was blessed to have her in my home.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:08 pm

Sounds like a tremendous trip. come visit LA sometime.

:D You've got some terrific architectural photography skills to, wonderful work with the perspective, reflections, and general lines/composition.

Also you're looking mighty skinny in that group picture, missy. ;)

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:14 pm

How many birds are killed each year by that Building by the Denver Art Museum? I'm guessing A LOT.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:32 pm

the agenda
*thumbsup*
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:35 pm

Shush, our art museum is waaaay cooler than yours.

BEST GROUP PICTURE EVAR! As my first time ever meeting people I've known solely on the interwebs, it was like being with friends we've known for a long time but just hadn't seen in forever. Must do it again! I hope everyone can get together soon. And yeah, it was kinda weird at first, but we had soooo much fun! Steph, I think we need to try and convince Alea to move here.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:46 pm

I think she's just about convinced. Her Chicago fund is about to be renamed the Colorado Fund!!!

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:50 pm

SCORE!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:09 pm

I'm so jealous of you guys and so sad I couldn't come, you have NO IDEA.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:59 am

*jealous rage*

Okay, maybe not a rage. But that looked like so much fun. Now we just need to have another gathering that I can come to. =]

And Steph, what is your secret to homemade mac and cheese? Mine never turns out as delicious and it could/should be.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:41 am

Erica and Phenious are awesome people!
Definitely. I'm so very happy they agreed to meet us weirdos.

But Steph, as to some of the rest of what you said: you're full of it. :P
:D You've got some terrific architectural photography skills to, wonderful work with the perspective, reflections, and general lines/composition.

Also you're looking mighty skinny in that group picture, missy. ;)
ha! What woman has been training you? I was basking in the glow of an unexpected compliment concerning architecture and then got to that last part. Should I do the girl thing and ask if I looked fat to you before and how much more, because I think I look quite wide/chunky there? :P But, er, thanks, I think.

the agenda
*thumbsup*
*snort* I can just see it now: *skimming, skimming* Agenda! *stop, post, and done*
it was like being with friends we've known for a long time but just hadn't seen in forever. Must do it again!
Hear, hear.
I think she's just about convinced. Her Chicago fund is about to be renamed the Colorado Fund!!!
Well now, I did mention I have to do Chicago for a year (does that sound like a sentencing to anyone other than me? I don't mean for it to) but after that, who knows? It certainly has everything I've ever wanted and in close proximity. Small town living feel with big town attractions, nature, architecture, ART!, seasons, etc.

Oh, something we forgot. Life points. Did we ever settle on a number for the weekend?

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:35 pm

Oh, something we forgot. Life points. Did we ever settle on a number for the weekend?
+2,000,000

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:05 pm

And Steph, what is your secret to homemade mac and cheese? Mine never turns out as delicious and it could/should be.
Cheese sauce:
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup flour
5-6 cups of milk
2-3 or so cups of Sharp or Extra Sharp cheddar cheese
1 tbsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste.

In a large pot, melt butter over med. heat. whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly for about a minute. Slowly add the milk, whisking in each addition and simmer, whisking constantly until hot and thickened. (This is your basic beshemel sauce.) Add cheese and whisk in until melted. The sharper the cheese, the better, so you can achieve a cheesier taste without added grease. Add more cheese if you desire, but not too much so it doesn't get greasy. (I usually will add more cheese, since I love cheese so much.) Add dijon mustard and salt and pepper. Mustard makes cheese taste cheesier. The mustard will enhance your sauce and not distract with a mustardy flavor.

Pasta:
Choose one that's not too big or not too small and one that the sauce will want to stick to. I don't actually like macaroni for this. I usually use pipette (conchiglie), shells or cavatapi, but there are plenty that meet the criteria. I find this guide to be helpful if you're not familiar with matching pastas with sauces.
Whichever one you choose, cook 1 full package according to the package's directions.

Secret weapon:
Hot dog. There is something magical about hot dog juice infused into mac and cheese. Cut 6-8 hot dogs in small half rounds.

Combine all 3 parts in your sauce's pot. You may sprinkle extra cheese or breadcrumbs on the top if you wish. Move into an oven-safe baking dish (or leave in your pot if it's oven-safe, like mine is). You may sprinkle extra cheese or breadcrumbs on the top if you wish. I don't usually bother. Bake in a covered at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.

This will still be tasty without the addition of hot dogs, so if you wish to leave them out, you can still enjoy! I hope that helps answer your question.

Alea, that mac and cheese was at least 1000 life points, so I'm going with Erica's count on this!

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:46 am

Thank you so much! I will definitely try that soon. Hopefully I won't destroy it.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:21 am

The whole trip sounds wonderful, and the pictures were great!

Count me among the jealous!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Phenious
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Phenious » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:53 pm

So just to recap, time was fun and you all suck for not coming. Thank you may return to your regularly scheduled lives.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:16 pm

Is there another lake or two back there? That mountain on the right looks a little familiar.

That said, where do I sign up for the Jealousy Club?
The enemy's fly is down.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:05 pm

Man, I FINALLY got to read that massive post, Alea. It sounds totally amazing. I am so jealous. Now that we live in the backwoods of the boonies on the edge of nowhere, it is going to suck to get us to a pwebcon. Next time better be Toronto, where we can convince Paul's family to pay for us to visit. :)
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:09 pm

Is there another lake or two back there? That mountain on the right looks a little familiar.

That said, where do I sign up for the Jealousy Club?
The peak is Hallett's Peak. And there's probably 7 or so more lakes back there....we just couldn't hike the loop with the 3 kids very easily. We wanted to find your favorite one, though!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”