An Exercise in Art Therapy

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

An Exercise in Art Therapy

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:18 pm

Next week brings the two year mark for The Incident and needless to say, it's been a huge part of my life ever since, both in direct and indirect ways. The dreams about it are mostly gone, though not entirely, and I have fewer anxiety attacks over it...but this is something I'm still in the middle of (literally, I'm more towards the end but you know what I mean).

When this whole thing started, I figured I'd put some of it into drawings someday, when I was ready; I figured it'd be a good therapy of sorts and since it can't be 100% accurate -I've worked too hard on not remembering- I figured it would be an innocent enough project.

So here we are. The disclaimers, that will possibly be contradicting: While I'm trying to make these look nice (bad transfer from paper to computer aside), I'm more concerned with getting the ideas out, so while I won't mind comments on how to make it better, please be kind about how awful it looks in parts. I don't have models for a lot of this and even for the stuff I do, I'm borrowing from things that just aren't...right.

Comments in general are appreciated but I'll be okay if this is just me bumping every so often. The goal is once a week (I even have next week's done, for the actual 2 year day) but I'll get lazy and may even stop for long stretches.

The style will undoubtedly change. Some days I can hit the right look, but that's mostly an accident or long hours of effort. And, basically, the event and my skills at drawing are both kind of sensitive spots for me but I trust you guys (mostly).

In this particular one, the writing in the lower lefthand corner is the worst in terms of getting a good capture, the upper lefthand not much better. If you can't read the writing, I'll consider typing it out.

Anyhow...week one drawing:

Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:54 pm

Stay strong, my friend.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:57 pm

They are beautiful.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:06 pm

*hugs*

Thanks for trusting us enough to share these.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:13 pm

Beautiful, Alea.

As someone whose life is also defined by an Incident (capital I) - a car accident that changed my life at 18 - I understand the way life can just completely change in an instant.

It's amazing how life can just... never be the same. It's been just over 10 years, and in some ways, I'm not over it. It took me two full years to recover from living like I wasn't really in my own life (because I felt like this wasn't where I was supposed to be) and it took another year to realize that's why I made such bad decisions.

It was a moment that changed everything, but it was a moment that defined me and in the end, brought me to where I am today.

But I do still wonder sometimes about that girl who didn't break her back.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:09 pm

*hugs*

You are so brave for sharing things like this, i'm looking forward to more updates.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:22 pm

I am perpetually awed by your strength and openness, Alea. Thank-you very much for sharing this.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:17 am

Thanks for trusting us enough to share these.
I can't put it any better than this.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:58 am

*huggles*
:(

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:06 am

*hugs*

very powerful.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:16 pm

*hugs*

Others can express it better than I, but I am impressed by both your strength in sharing this and your artistic ability. I look forward to future updates.
The enemy's fly is down.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:03 pm

Not able to express what I think without repeating other people. Beautiful and heart-wrenching.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:29 pm

Echoing what everyone else has said... i admire your strangth and wish you well.
-Kim

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:57 pm

I am perpetually awed by your strength and openness, Alea. Thank-you very much for sharing this.
This sums it up perfectly for me.

*hugs*

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:53 am

Thank you, guys. Thanks for the support, the kind words, for sharing in kind, Jan. I hope it doesn't come across as anything other than an admission when I say I don't feel strong or brave; to the contrary, I often feel weak. The openness fits into that. If you're at all like Jason, please don't interpret that to mean I'm inviting or hoping for some statement to the contrary. It's a feeling, right or wrong, it's my feeling. It doesn't make me appreciate what you've said any less.

In another show of being open, I have to say -realizing it is childish- that I am saddened by things Pweb related, meeting related, and otherwise, and that I need to go away for a bit -a few days, a week, I don't know- and get my s*** together. So instead of waiting until Thursday night/Friday morning, as I should if I want to properly pay respects to the big Two Year mark, I'm posting this now.

This is, should be, the most difficult to share. I'm not posting it as an image, on the off-chance that it offends or discomforts anyone. I'll do a writeup since I'm aware it's not entirely clear what's going on; please use this to determine for yourself whether or not you are responsible enough (I'm begging you, if you know you can't be nice, keep your mouth shut) or just plain willing to look.

I hesitate to call these panels...they're not the typical comic, nor do I actually see them that way, despite all appearances. But in the first, the ankles cuffed...that makes the list of one of the most humiliating times of my life, let alone this event, because of the way they spoke to me when I was wearing them, the way they took away my dignity by making near impossible something I learned as a toddler. They yelled quite a bit. I've been yelled at before, by my father, by members of the military but this was different. My stride was hindered, my feet were being cut into, I tripped over myself multiple times. People take for granted their ability to move freely, even in the simple task of walking. I felt them on my ankles, even after going home. Phantom cuffs.

The last panel, while you might think should have been the worst of them all, was the second worst. One of the first things they do when you're booked in is strip down to nothing to make sure the arresting officers didn't miss anything. Now, only one person sees this but this was not someone I gave permission to. That didn't matter, of course; my choices were decided for me when they changed their mind and "appear in court" became "You are under arrest." After the strip down, I was told to shower, still in front of a guard, and then dress in the colored suit. Mine was red, not orange like you see on TV. The different colors all meant something to the guards. Seriousness of crime, I think. I stood under the water crying and with my back to the guard. When I first undressed, it was me crying with my back to the guard. When I finished and got dressed (one red top, one red bottom, one pair of white underwear), I cried and did so with my back to the guard. I wanted to disappear, fold into myself. The things I had going in -jeans, white undershirt, earrings, ring, cross necklace, underwear, bra, lime green flip flops- were put in a paper bag. The clothes stayed there, the jewelry was placed on a strip of card stock and basically laminated, alongside my wallet -IDs pulled out- and cell phone. One officer, out of three, looked like he thought I was getting screwed over. He told me he'd grab my wallet and phone from the car after the cuffs were put on.

But, the worst moment of all was asking for my call. When I dialed the first time, my mom didn't pick up, so I had to try the house number instead of her cell. When that was answered, I had to sit through the Operator saying "You have received a call from an inmate at the *** County Jail, would you like to accept?" My brother answered and asked what the hell happened. Trying not to let my voice crack, trying not to cry, I asked him to hurry and get my mother on the phone. It had to have been about 3AM at that point...I forget and don't want to check the paperwork to figure it out. When she got on, I told her to please trust and believe in me, I'd explain later, I was really sorry for f****** up and not being a better person, and please call my boss. Tell her where I was, that I would call as soon as I could, to likewise try to trust and believe in me.

Those things made it sink in. If for no reason than that, than making me believe that I was really there, that it wasn't a dream or a joke, those are the most humiliating moments I had.

Humiliation.

I won't be checking in this thread unless I plan on posting a picture, so please don't feel like I'm ignoring your responses. And while it still is a sensitive subject, I am leaps and bounds more capable of dealing with it now than I was two years ago so if at any point questions arise, I'll do my best.

Right. I think that's all. See you in a few days/a week/whenever.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:29 am

I know I keep saying it, and I don't want the meaning to get watered down any, but you really are an amazing person. Being able to share your most humiliating moment with other people is really something amazing.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:49 am

Once again, thank you for sharing.

Take all the time you need. We will miss you, but it's understandable. Just don't forget to come back.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”