Humane Society of the United States

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Humane Society of the United States

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:41 pm

I want to see pweb's answers to these questions, after reading a survey!

Please answer these (without googling!):

Are you very familiar, somewhat familiar or totally unfamiliar with the HSUS?

Are these statements true or false?
1) The Humane Society of the United States is an umbrella group that represents thousands of local humane societies all across America

2) My local humane society or pet shelter is AFFILIATED with the Humane Society of the United States.

3) The Humane Society of the United States contributes most of its money to local organizations that care for dogs and cats.

4) My local humane society or pet shelter receives financial support from the Humane Society of the United States.
-Kim

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:00 pm

As long as you promise not to judge me for this... Especially since you know my pet shelter, too...

Completely unfamiliar.

And I'm going to go...
1. False
2. True
3. False
4. False

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:01 pm

Weee, me first!

Here are my best guesses:

1)True
2)False
3)False
4)False
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:05 pm

I'm really second guessing myself on all of these.

1. True
2. True
3. False
4. True
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:17 pm

ummm... here goes nothing

1) true
2) true
3) false
4) false

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:22 pm

You're all wrong. The correct answer is:

Billions of human beings, right this second, are either:

1.) Being murdered
2.) Being raped
3.) Being molested
4.) Being oppressed
5.) Dying in a war
6.) Dying of disease
7.) Dying of thirst
8.) Dying of starvation
9.) Rotting in prison

Or are imminently about to, or mourning someone who is.

I'm so sick of that stupid commercial with that Sarah McClachlan song asking for the same amount of money as the Children's Fund. Hmm... Should I give a dollar a day to save neglected animals, or a dollar a day to save poor, starving human children... Tough call.

Saving animals and preventing harm to them is a priority, but here's how the priority list breaks down:

1) HUMANS
2) ANIMALS

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:52 pm

There's always going to be someone who needs more help then others, that doesn't mean you should cut off help to everyone.

Maybe i'm heartless, but even when I see homeless people I feel about 10 times worse when they have an animal with them.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:27 pm

Satya,

While I most definitely think that in a direct animal v. human choice, of course humans are the priority, I don't think that donating money to animal shelters is this kind of direct choice. People give money to plenty of causes that don't in any way directly aid any of the things that you talk about there.

What about the environment? Or people who do things like donate to historical societies? Or their alma maters? These are inanimate!

Additionally, I feel strongly about donating time and money to animal sheltering organizations because there is a huge pet overpopulation and neglect problem that is perpetrated and perpetuated by human stiupidity, negligence or cruelty.

Also, the Sarah McLaughlan commercial that you're thinking about is the ASPCA, which has no affiliation with HSUS. Though, the HSUS did/does have a similar commercial (with a Natalie Merchant song) that runs nationally sometimes. (However, it's being pulled from some channels for a variety of reasons.)
-Kim

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:37 pm

Environment = direct effect on humans. The others fall into the same category as animals - second priority. But nothing else you said has any negating effect on the point.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Re: Humane Society of the United States

Postby Luet » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:52 pm

I am only familiar enough with my local human society to have adopted our two cats there (they charge $100 for cats/kittens under 6 months of age, which seems kind of pricey but they are spayed, have all shots, dewormed, etc. and its a really nice shelter).

My guesses based on no real knowledge:
1)false
2)true
3)false
4)false
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:54 am

Environment = direct effect on humans. The others fall into the same category as animals - second priority. But nothing else you said has any negating effect on the point.
But what is your point? That noone should ask for money for abandoned pets because plenty of humans suffer?

Because you said "I'm so sick of that stupid commercial with that Sarah McClachlan song asking for the same amount of money as the Children's Fund." So what bothers you is that someone asks for money for a cause instead of the cause you think more worthy.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:53 am

That I think is more worthy? Are you f****** kidding me?

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:33 am

So, only because there is a caus that is more worthy, noone should ever ask money for other causes. That's what you're saying.

And yes, it's "what you think is more worthy" (even if i happen to agree with you on it, it's just our oppinion). Because, as we don't live in a perfect world, you can't control what other people think.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:35 am

So I guess what we can do is just have one charity at a time. Everyone in the world can vote to determine what the most pressing concern on the planet is and it will be the only thing that people are allowed to donate money towards until it's fixed, or at least greatly improved. Then we move on to the next priority.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:44 pm

Environment = direct effect on humans. The others fall into the same category as animals - second priority.
So stray, diseased animals roaming the streets would have no direct effect on the quality of human life?
The enemy's fly is down.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:48 pm

So I guess what we can do is just have one charity at a time. Everyone in the world can vote to determine what the most pressing concern on the planet is and it will be the only thing that people are allowed to donate money towards until it's fixed, or at least greatly improved. Then we move on to the next priority.
When you put it that way, it does sound highly efficient. :D

Row--row.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:00 pm

When you put it that way, it does sound highly efficient. :D
*sighs sadly* Ah... if only every problem in the world could be solved with money :(

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:59 pm

That's just dumb, Doc. It's obvious that I'm of the opinion that things that harm humans are of the highest priority. So yes, animal issues that harm humans belong towards the top.

It's not just that there's "a" more pressing concern. There's thousands. From landmines littering the landscape of Cambodia, Burma and Laos; epic drought in Australia; people getting chopped up in South America's drug warfare; the recent story about a Catholic priest in my fine state of Wisconsin who's said to have molested about 200 deaf children; 500,000 dead in the Rwandan genocide; 1,400 Palestinians dead in early '09 as a result of only 3 weeks of Hamas in relative open war with Israel; skyrocketing suicide and drug abuse rates; choking pollution in eastern China and the oppression of ethnic minorities there and numerous other nations; etc, etc, etc, etc, etc......

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:31 pm

Seriously. You remind me of those guys who slashed the space exploration program, including the moon landings, to "solve problems here on Earth". And where did that money go to?

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:30 pm

That's a stupid analogy, Jota.

One of the "problems here on Earth" is that eventually Earth will no longer be a habitable planet for human beings. Hence space exploration.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:47 pm

I think it's a legit analogy: "let's not spend money on this, because that other thing is more important/urgent".

And if you take that approach: many people likes to live in a world where pets are treated kindly and where abandoned pets can find good families, because it makes them feel better with themselves. So it's a human concern.

And if you think that people won't worry more about the pets in their neighbourhood than about faceless, nameless people that suffer tens of thousands of kilometres away, then i don't know what world you live in.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:14 pm

What makes someone feel better about themselves doesn't necessarily equate to what actually saves human lives and prevents massive suffering.

The world I live in is full of deluded gerbils and f****** up priorities.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:26 pm

Satya, while the things you express concern about are certainly problems, they aren't really things that are addressed by charity.

Ok, maybe landmines could be targeted by charity. But, things like drug warfare, molestation, general warfare are governmental/regulatory concerns.

Additionally, animal charity is important because the animals are voiceless. They can't speak for themselves to ask for help (or not, as the case may be. Not all of the issues you present want "our" help.)

Also, in general, I find local charity much more rewarding. Giving to national organizations is often unrewarding because the money does not always go where it should be. There's more accountability on a local level.
-Kim

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:34 pm

Getting back to the topic at hand...

Why did you conduct this survey, oh great Cheesy one?

Row--row.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:36 pm

By the way, for those who are curious, the answers to those questions are:

1: False. HSUS is actually a political lobbying organization with an agenda that is remarkably similar to that of PETA (including that we should all be vegan, pet ownership is exploitation of animals, etc.)
2: False. HSUS is not affiliated with a single animal shelter.
3: False. One half of one percent.
4: False. HSUS does not give to local shelters (or operate any shelters of their own.) In fact, right now they're running a program where shelters can pay them a pretty significant amount of money to do an evaluation of their protocols.
-Kim

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:39 pm

Animals are animals. People shouldn't keep pets in the first place. But that's also besides the point.

Local charity is rewarding. Like, a local food pantry or homeless shelter.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:42 pm

Getting back to the topic at hand...

Why did you conduct this survey, oh great Cheesy one?
HSUS is one of my soap box issues (as is all the recent hulabaloo about antibiotic use in animals that's in front of Congress right now.) I wanted to see how many smart and relatively informed people (my pwebbers!) knew about HSUS. :)
-Kim

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:45 pm

Animals are animals. People shouldn't keep pets in the first place. But that's also besides the point.

Local charity is rewarding. Like, a local food pantry or homeless shelter.

Really, Satya?! Really?

Despite all the scientifically proven health benefits of owning pets? The lower blood pressure, the higher ratings of overall happiness, the longer life span of pet owners? Despite the anecdotal benefits of companionship, love, hilarity and snuggling?
-Kim

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:50 pm

If the well being of animals is your concern, then the domestication of animals and the keeping of them as pets should be antithesis to you.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:57 pm

No, your sentence should be "If the animal rights is your concern, then the domestication of animals and the keeping of them as pets should be antithesis to you."

Animal welfare is an entirely different ball game that involves improving the quality of life of animals. For example, house cats that are kept indoors as pets live, on average, 2-3x as long as their "wild" counterparts. They are also parasite free and experience significantly fewer infectious diseases. Much like the way human medicine and quality of life evolved over the 20's-60's to decrease the early deaths due to human diseases (leading to our current leading causes of death in the developped world being things like cancer and heart disease), animal medicine is evolving to eliminate early deaths from infectious causes like parasites (heartworm disease, etc), bacteria and viruses (the drastic decrease in FIV in feline populations, etc).
-Kim

Dobie
Soldier
Soldier
Title: A real one has a link

Postby Dobie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:05 pm

You're all wrong. The correct answer is:

1.) Being murdered
2.) Being raped
3.) Being molested
4.) Being oppressed
5.) Dying in a war
6.) Dying of disease
7.) Dying of thirst
8.) Dying of starvation
9.) Rotting in prison

Or are imminently about to, or mourning someone who is.

I'm so sick of that stupid commercial with that Sarah McClachlan song asking for the same amount of money as the Children's Fund. Hmm... Should I give a dollar a day to save neglected animals, or a dollar a day to save poor, starving human children... Tough call.

Saving animals and preventing harm to them is a priority, but here's how the priority list breaks down:

1) HUMANS
2) ANIMALS
I think what you meant to say is :

1.) Murdering someone
2.) Raping someone
3.) Molesting someone
4.) Oppressing someone
5.) Killiing someone in a war
9.) Serving time in prison for a crime they commited

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:33 pm

1: False. HSUS is actually a political lobbying organization with an agenda that is remarkably similar to that of PETA (including that we should all be vegan, pet ownership is exploitation of animals, etc.)
This actually surprised me. I thought they were one of the "sane" PETA-alternates like the ASPCA (er, they're not PETA-y, right?). That is, one of those organizations that actually is what many people think PETA is (before you find out that PETA is, well, in my opinion, 'crazy').

And at least according to wikipedia, HSUS is against making "exotic" or "wild" animals pets; they apparently support pets bred to be pets. Or something?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:36 am

I'm actually really surprised too. Come to think of it, I've always known of the Humane Society, but not really known about them.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:09 am

Come to think of it, I've never seen them in the same room as PETA and the ALF, either... hmmm
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:15 am

Come to think of it, I've never seen them in the same room as PETA and the ALF, either... hmmm
Shouldn't the ALF be in favour of the use of cats as food?

Return to “Milagre Town Square”