Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:20 pm

Thumbs up: found another "simple-minded" witness in a different case!
Thumbs down: frickin' manuscript
Thumbs down: in the BL*
Thumbs up: maybe I can get funding for images?

*British Library
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:05 pm

Thumbs Up: My nephew made me laugh entirely too hard when he explained to me how much my niece, not quite 2, loves The Little Mermaid; enough that if I took my DVD back, it'd make her cry. That's low, having the cuteness tell me something like that so I won't ask for my movie back but it's funny and cute, so it's okay. Not like I need it for any pressing reasons anyway.

Thumbs Down: Same nephew also let it slip that they had scratched it but supposedly fixed it. NOT cool. I do my best to return things in the shape I received them in and appreciate the same being done for me. If the adults couldn't keep whomever off the disc, if I can't watch it or it skips, they're buying me a new one. That is one of the classic movies I would never part with, ever, for anything. Or most anything.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Thumbs down: My DVD player in my TV no longer works (note: built-in dvd players are no bueno).
Thumbs up: My roommate found a free DVD player off craigslist.
Thumbs down: We lack the necessary cables for said DVD player.
Thumbs down: Said DVD player may not work anyway....
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:53 am

Thumbs Up: I've had a few hours now of blissful, blissful almost-silence and alone time. I'm still exhausted but I can feel the tenseness slowly draining away.

Thumbs Down: I miss Brat. :(

Thumbs Down: Kind of quiet day on the board.

Thumbs Up: Did I mention I'm starting to feel almost human again because I've had a little bit of alone time?

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:50 am

Thumbs Up: I've had a few hours now of blissful, blissful almost-silence and alone time. I'm still exhausted but I can feel the tenseness slowly draining away.

Thumbs Up: Did I mention I'm starting to feel almost human again because I've had a little bit of alone time?
This is the story of my life the past few weeks. One of my roommate's mom and sister have been in town and sleeping in our living room a few nights a week. I share a room and the living room and kitchen are connected, so there is literally no space to be alone when people are here. Those couple hours in the afternoon when everyone is off doing things are heaven. And those morning when I wake up to find that the mom and sister didn't spend the night.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:35 pm

So much sympathy headed in your direction.

I spoke too soon, on my end. My nieces and brother were supposed to be elsewhere for at least a few days. They greeted me at the door when I got home from work. This after spending 5 hours on Circ because my coworker felt "sick" after going to a Shakira concert last night and I had to cover her time, too. Human not feeling so human today.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:10 pm

Thumbs up: Very positive appt with the new/old psych nurse practitioner today. She had some good ideas for meds.

Thumbs neutral: Her primary diagnosis was PTSD. I had somehow forgotten that this was what I was dealing with.

Thumbs down: Followed by an upsetting talk with my mom. She means well but she just says so many wrong things and I wish she would know better.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:19 pm

One of those things is no good but one of them is. Hopefully the one will soon outweigh the other again. *hugs*

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:59 am

Thumbs Up: Quiet, empty house. Just me and the dogs. Feeling a bit more human already.

Thumbs Down: Also missing the babies already. How the hell does that work? Someone please explain it to me. They drive me up the freaking wall and I think I'm going to lose it while they're here; I can't think, relax, or do anything for fear they'll get in the way or mess it up somehow. But when they're gone...that's not fun at first, either. And then I get used to it a little bit.

Thumbs Down: Every time they leave, I feel like I could have done better. Showed them or told them I loved them more than I did. Just been with them more or been happier when I was with them. This has got to be the worst I've ever been with them, though. One day, when they're older, I hope they can forgive not only me but all the adults in their lives.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:12 am

Thumbs Up: Microwaves that stop beeping when you open the door (e.g., my home microwave).

Thumbs Down: Microwaves that keep beeping even after you open the door (e.g., the work microwave).
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:47 am

Thumbs up: Last day of summer classes!
Thumbs down: Fall classes start in three weeks.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Thumbs Down:
Pondering how I'm going to budget my mealswipes and student food money next semester.
Last semester I had infinite, and I generally ate 3-5 meals a day.

Now, I get 125 meal swipes and 400 University Dollars.

There are 117 days in my semester. So, I could only eat roughly once a day in my school's mealswipe Cafeteria. With 8 chances to cheat or accidentally eat more than once.

However, I generally eat the same things directly after I workout at the Cafeteria- and it did wonders for me last year- so I plan on using that mealswipe for my post workout meal, on those days.

I workout Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Timing depends on classes and job and such. If it doesn't line up at lunchtime, I'll still eat then.

Also, I guess I'll skip a complete breakfast, and opt out for a snack on the Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays. However, I have to eat a good source of protein in the morning on rest days.

All in all, I have my mealswipe planned out for everyday except Sundays.
I have one meal out of everyday planned out. That leaves me to figure out the 2 or 3 more eating points everyday that I will have to figure out.

I have 400 University Dollars. With food costing from 3-5 dollars, I can spread it out between 133-80 days depending on the price of the food. That averages to 106 days. I can use my own money for the rest of the 11 days.

That's 2 meals down. On workout days, 3 meals down.

Assuming my roomate has his fridge, I can snatch food and drink from the Cafeteria - but only on workout days since they'll only have breakfast during breakfast time on the nonworkout days(and that cant really be used for a later meal imo).

So thats 4 meals down on workout days - 2 on nonworkout days. Instead, I'll save food snatched on workout days, and use them as meals on nonworkout days.

That makes 3 meals down for workout and nonworkout days.

Nontheless, I'll need/want some more protein on workout days - so I'll probably have a latenight meal. Latenight at my school Cafeteria costs a mealswipe, though I can get drinks for free. 10-12 at night.

At this point, I'll need someone with infinite meal swipes to get me latenight food/meals. Or, I'll need their card to use. I think my friend Dan said he was doing infinite again, and I think he said he was also living in my dorm. Hopefully I remember right.

I need to remember to never spend money on drinks, since I can get it for free as long as I save my bottles - at the Cafeteria during late night regardless of any mealswipes.

I need to remember to try to budget-limit the amount I use of my University Money to 5 dollars.

Last, I need to buy breakfast food or spend a dollar a day - on workout days - getting snacks from the vending machine. That'd be roughly 50 dollars out of my pocket over the whole semester.

Ugh. Stressing stuff, I should have just gotten infinite mealswipes. -.-
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:08 am

This all reminds me of the "how to game the system" lesson in Buffy when they all went off to college.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:39 am

Thumbs Up: I just purchased $400 worth of Kitchen stuff.
Thumbs Up: I just purchased $160 worth of computer stuff.

Thumbs Down: I just spent $560.

Thumbs Up: I'll be signing the lease for my apartment on Tuesday.

Thumbs Down: I'll be signing a piece of paper saying that I need to pay $12,000 over the next 12 months for my apartment on Tuesday.

Thumbs Down: I need to wake up in less than seven hours.

Thumbs Down: I still feel absolutely, gut-wrenchingly horrible about Ashley. Not because I miss her, though I do (the pictures of us don't help) - just that image, of her, sitting in her car, in her dress, holding brownies she made for me in her lap, crying, as I told her to essentially get lost... ugh.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:28 am

Thumbs up: things that remind me how low the cost of living is here.
The enemy's fly is down.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:24 pm

Thumbs up: Having a very clean kitchen.

Thumbs down: Having a very clean kitchen because you went into your mostly clean kitchen to wash the few dishes in the sink from earlier today only to find a little roach hanging out on the side of your sink.

Two Thumbs down: Tears in your eyes and the smell of bleach permeating everything in your apartment because you so despise roaches that you feel the need to super-sanitize every surface in your kitchen after seeing one in your sink.

Thumbs down: The fact that this looked like the German variety of roach and not just the American one. While the American ones are bigger and uglier and more aggressive when confronted, the German ones are the ones that actually infest places. Time to call the management company and have them send out pest control... *shudders*

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Thumbs up: I got a new camera! (A used Canon T1i, for Will or anyone else who cares).

Thumbs down: It was way more money than I felt comfortable spending on myself.

Thumbs up: It's awesome! (I'll post some comparison pics soon).
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:25 pm

Thumbs up: I got a new camera! (A used Canon T1i, for Will or anyone else who cares).

Thumbs down: It was way more money than I felt comfortable spending on myself.

Thumbs up: It's awesome! (I'll post some comparison pics soon).
Awesome. I'm a Nikon guy, but I assume you can use older autofocus lenses on them, which can be a cheaper option. With the non full frame cameras they'll be technically longer lenses, so it'd be focal length * 1.6 for canon.

Hit me up if you want to know of a couple of places to get used gear or need some tips for shooting, editing or anything.

Also, if you got a lens with it, what did you get?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:31 pm

I didn't understand much of that. I still don't know anything about shooting manually and will be using the full auto mode until I figure it out. It came with the standard 18-55mm lens and a 55-250mm lens, both Canon brand with image stabilization in them. I guess Canon lenses are more expensive because it has the IS in them instead of in the camera itself, so it was cool to get the camera with two lenses.

I'd love any advice on sites for shooting tips, etc. I don't think I need any more gear right now. Thanks!

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:39 pm

I still don't know anything about shooting manually and will be using the full auto mode until I figure it out.
Experiment with Aperture and Shutter Priorities. They're almost Auto.
If you want to get a freeze frame effect you Shutter Priority and set it to a fast shutter speed and the camera will figure out the rest. Want to shallow depth of field (out of focus background)? Use Aperture Priority and set it to the largest aperture (smaller number) and again, the camera will sort out the rest.
It came with the standard 18-55mm lens and a 55-250mm lens, both Canon brand with image stabilization in them.
Oh, excellent then. I just went assuming you only got the standard kit lens and figured you'd need to eventually find a more telephoto lens for your purposes.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Now you're just making me jealous. All I have are two old film cameras which could use some work, and film is so expensive these days to have processed...

(Minolta X-700 and a Pentax K-1000, for those who are into such things. The 18-55mm lens for the Minolta is damaged, which makes me sad. I've got a couple of fixed focal lenses on the Pentax and a 80-200mm for it, but no other lenses for the Minolta.)

Oh yeah, and I have an LG Incite (Windows Mobile 6.1 phone from 2008) with an autofocus camera on it. The problem is that the AF is so slow that if whatever you are trying to take a picture of moves over the next five seconds it won't be on the screen. Also the camera tricks you and freezes the frame making you think it got a great shot, then seconds later it actually takes the real picture. Also it only likes bright light. The only digital camera I own, though.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Disclaimer: I shoot mostly film
Now you're just making me jealous. All I have are two old film cameras which could use some work, and film is so expensive these days to have processed...
If you're a member, Costco is pretty dirt cheap and that's where I get my color negs developed. I send my slides out for $5 + shipping. B&W I do myself and that's pretty dirt cheap.
(Minolta X-700 and a Pentax K-1000, for those who are into such things. The 18-55mm lens for the Minolta is damaged, which makes me sad. I've got a couple of fixed focal lenses on the Pentax and a 80-200mm for it, but no other lenses for the Minolta.)

How exactly is the 18-55 damaged?

Edit: I'm a fan of fixed focal length lenses and keh.com has 50mm MD lenses for your X-700 for cheap and now keh has a standard 6 mo on all their used equipment now.

Note: On keh their BGN grade stuff is pretty good overall. Got some stuff that even looked close to new, needless to say they grade conservatively.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:29 pm

Disclaimer: I shoot mostly film
If you're a member, Costco is pretty dirt cheap and that's where I get my color negs developed. I send my slides out for $5 + shipping. B&W I do myself and that's pretty dirt cheap.

We do not have Costco here. I have often wondered if it is really as amazing as people make it out to be.

How exactly is the 18-55 damaged?
It may... have been dropped.

I'd like to get into doing my own B&W processing, but I don't have space to store the stuff or money to get started in it. I mostly enjoy shooting B&W.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:35 pm

I'd like to get into doing my own B&W processing, but I don't have space to store the stuff or money to get started in it. I mostly enjoy shooting B&W.
You only really need a few sq. feet of storage. With Rodinal as your developer you could get up to 200 rolls processed for $15 or so a bottle.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:53 pm

I've got a question for you. Do you roll your own film and is that a cost effective way to go? Otherwise, what is a cheap source of black and white film?

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:01 pm

I've got a question for you. Do you roll your own film and is that a cost effective way to go? Otherwise, what is a cheap source of black and white film?
I never have. I haven't used 35mm much since 3 or 4 years ago, and if I do it's slide.

I think you can get 18 36exp rolls out of a 100ft roll.

A cheap source of film is this. They also have other options under their house brand. Only thing I don't like about them is the $25 minimum order.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:23 pm

We do not have Costco here. I have often wondered if it is really as amazing as people make it out to be.
THEY ARE!!!

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:38 am

Thumbs up: Survived the GRE!
Thumbs up: And I think I did okay.
Thumbs down: Won't know for sure until November (they have have a few months of statistics to score the new revised version)

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:16 am

Congrats on surviving the GRE, that's almost as good as graduating! :)

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:32 am

Note: On keh their BGN grade stuff is pretty good overall. Got some stuff that even looked close to new, needless to say they grade conservatively.
I've had the same experience with KEH.
A cheap source of film is this. They also have other options under their house brand. Only thing I don't like about them is the $25 minimum order.
I usually just drive over to Freestyle. Advantage of living in LA
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:39 am

Thumbs Up: Road trip later today.
Thumbs Down: To Phoenix. That place is like my town, just bigger.
Thumbs Up: But hey, they have football.
Thumbs Up: And the Chargers are in town tonight.
Thumbs Up: Hey, guess what? So am I! Those other teams need to watch out this season. I'll be blessing the team with my presence tonight and even though it's just a preseason game, my blessing in sports goes a looooong way.
Thumbs Down: I'm not a huge fan of traveling when it's something I've done a bajillion times. I like new, exciting traveling.
Thumbs Up: I get that sooner than I realize. It's almost October. I can't believe it.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:59 pm

I've got some more!

Thumbs Up:

Thumbs Up: While I thought for most of the game that maybe I ended up cursing the team instead of bestowing my blessings, they pulled off a literal last minute win. As the Cardinals fans (who outnumbered me by a hell of a lot) around me started to say after they realized the team was going to lose, "Let them have it; it's just preseason." As the lovely Chargers fans in front of me said, "They weren't saying that a minute ago." It was cool to connect with this couple of strangers over the win.

Thumbs Down: Ugh. Tired and I did too much sitting.

Thumbs Down: And I got home in time to go straight to the volunteer gig.

Thumbs Down: And had to wait an extra hour and a half for Voldemort's help with something when I could have just come back home.

Thumbs Down: When I got here, internet was still down from yesterday's storm

Thumbs Up: Internet is back, Voldemort helped, and maybe I can relax now for the rest of my weekend

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:35 pm

Thumbs up: My cat's butt is now poopless
Thumbs up: There is crap all over my bathtub, my extra towel, and my bathroom floor.
Thumbs down: That this last one was a thumbs up. I think I am losing, LOSING life points.

Thumbs down: This has been the crappiest day ever, and it's a Saturday, and it's only 2:30.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:43 pm

Thumbs down: Wicked bad headache. Increased meds don't seem to be working.
Thumbs down: Feeling depressed and anxious over friend mess.
Thumbs up: Having fun new friends over on Saturday for an IT Crowd marathon and then watching the new Doctor Who episode.
Thumbs down: Have to clean the house before then.
Thumbs up: Have a great husband to help with the sad and the cleaning.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Re: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Postby Mich » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:12 pm

Thumbs up: the mechanic isn't charging me to conclude that my car, the car I've wanted for the past ten years, the car that is the only car I've ever lied about taking out and driving just for the fun of it, the car that my dad took sweet, sweet care of despite it not being that great of a car, the car that I dreamed and prayed would be my graduation gift, the car that my parents were super-awesome about trading to me for my own car for a graduation gift, the car that they felt really bad had some radiator problems and so paid willingly for all repairs to... is dead in the water.
Thumbs down: ...oh.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”