Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri May 13, 2011 11:08 am

Well don't I feel like a dork.

Tried to dodge a bus traffic jam (there's a whole bunch of stops on both sides of the street), pulled over, hopped off my bike... and completely lost my balance and fell flat on the sidewalk.

On the plus side, I wasn't hit by a bus!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri May 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Thumbs up: I can feel even more like a Real Adult[TM] now.
Thumbs down: Being a real adult is hard.
Thumbs up: I'm told it's way worth it.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri May 13, 2011 5:59 pm

Hey, don't forget that there are plenty of Real Adults who choose to remain childless (even married ones!). I know you know that but just saying. :wink:
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri May 13, 2011 6:01 pm

I know, I know. :) And those adults are awesome!

But I'm 28 and still in school. Worse, still in student housing. I have to take my adulthood where I can get it! I know so many mid to late 20s women who have had to just put off relationships, marriage, and children, and I'm thrilled to be able to buck that trend.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun May 29, 2011 9:05 pm

thumbs down: i'm probably going to have to sell the house (depends on what the bank says) because of the divorce.

thumbs down: have to clean the house and get it ready for people to walk through it.

thumbs down: tweaked my back while cleaning the basement

thumbs way up: got out of having to do any more cleaning of the house for today because of the back

thumbs down: i hate icing my back injuries
Ubernaustrum

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:43 pm

Thumbs Down: Got an email this morning, that I discovered just before lunch, about part of my flight being changed. I then spent an hour on the phone fixing it.

Thumbs Up: It's fixed.

Thumbs Could Go Either Way Though Really It's Probably Not a Big Enough Deal Either Way So We'll Just Call This a Sidenote: I will be in OR for 1.5 hours longer than originally planned and will still get home/AZ an hour earlier than planned.
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Thumbs down: We made an appointment to meet with someone to show us a townhome yesterday. They specifically requested that it be yesterday (rather than Saturday, or today). We show up and they're not there. We wait around awhile. They don't come. We call the "24 hour" number; it rings inside the office that we're standing outside. It's a four hour trip (one-way) from here. (It was a little longer, because we stopped in St. Louis for all-you-can-eat sushi and suit shopping, but I won't count the layover.) Needless to say, we won't be renting from them. Which is a shame, because it was reasonably priced and in a nice neighborhood.

Thumbs up: I was so mad about it that I called every single complex in the Apartment Finder book (again). The last time I tried contacting them, only two responded (one without any openings and the one that stood us up). Another was open and let us look at a place.

Thumbs up: The place we looked at was pretty decent. Small (maybe smaller than we have now), but it includes a washer/dryer, dishwasher, etc. It's closer to work than any of the other places I've contacted (but not so close that it's in a bad neighborhood, which sort of happens the further downtown you go) and cheaper than I have budgeted (and cheaper than the place that stood us up). It's not someplace I want to live for a long time, but it'll do for a few years (until we have the stability and funds for a house).

Thumbs up: When the alterations are finished next week, I'll have another two suits (well, it will be longer, as I won't be able to pick them up until the day I fly out, but whatever). And nothing suits me like a suit.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:13 pm

1,2,3,4 I declare a thumb war...

Thumbs Up: 10.5 hours of sleep. Brilliance. Pure and utter brilliance.

Thumbs Up: Day off. Gift from the gods.

Thumbs Down: I have to go back to work tomorrow.

Thumbs Up: I got my annual performance review yesterday and I earned the coveted Greatly Exceeds, something Admin will fight supervisors on giving out. Seriously. It hardly ever happens.

Thumbs Down: That was my raise. I mean, if the County were in a position to hand out raises, I would have gotten one because of that. But...economy sucks, we get our money from property taxes. No raise.

Thumbs Up: I have many supervisors but one in particular has made my working life a living hell. He is moving. I get a new supervisor who will hopefully be better.

Thumbs Down: I still feel like crap.

Thumbs Up: But it's duller now and at least I know, deep down, that this case of it was/is for my own good.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Thumbs up: The PNP said yes! I have an appt for 8/2 which was the first available.

Thumbs down: The initial appt is going to be an exorbitant amount of money that is not covered or reimbursable by insurance. The follow up appts will still be expensive but not quite so unmanageable.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:29 pm

Thumbs up: Approved for an apartment!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Yay! for Nomi and Syphon. Awesome news, overall, on both fronts.

Thumbs Up: Get to sleep in tomorrow!
Thumbs Down: Because I'm working the late shift.
Thumbs Down: Twice this week. Stupid vacationing coworkers.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:31 pm

Thumbs down:I'm exhausted and can't seem to catch up on sleep.

Thumbs up: I got a call back from a job I applied for to come in and do a placement test... A step in the right direction?
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:35 am

Thumbs up: I got a call back from a job I applied for to come in and do a placement test... A step in the right direction?
I hope so. Good luck, Twinny!

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:37 am

Woo! *fingers crossed*

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:38 pm

Thumbs Up: Rewatching Death Note

Thums Down: Getting no LSAT studying done.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:43 pm

Thumbs up: flight to D.C. went okay.
Thumbs up: was not accosted by hobos, yet.
Thumbs down: solidly booked 14+ hours a day for training, networking, etc., so no time to actually go see anything.
Thumbs up: the hotel/studio-apartment-thing is nice.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:22 pm

Down: Packing up a whole bunch of perfectly useful clothes I won't fit again for months and months.
Up: Discovering I actually fit better in a favourite (and expensive) top than I did last year.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Up: Discovering I actually fit better in a favourite (and expensive) top than I did last year.
I have a couple of tops that look better with a baby belly. I rock those tops when I'm pregnant, baby!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:22 pm

Actually, it's a top that only comes down to the top of my belly anyway. (Goes over another shirt.) It's weird and funky and fun, and 7 months ago, my arms were too thick for the sleeves. I've only gained about 10 pounds so far, so it's like all the weight is just shifting to my belly!

Thumbs Up: That means Wee Brontosaurus probably won't be ginormo-baby. I hope.

Thumbs UP-ER: Totally got the Latin teaching job for the fall! Like, for confirmed, they even know when Wee Brontosaurus is due.
Thumbs UP: Flexible hours means I won't lose any pay.
Thumbs UP-EST: I get to set my own curriculum! I'm gonna have the best beginning Latinists at the CMS! And my CV will look awesome!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:26 pm

. I've only gained about 10 pounds so far, so it's like all the weight is just shifting to my belly!
*crazy envy*

I am jealous. Having gained 12 pounds thus far. Stupid hormones making me ravenous every two hours.

*Repeats to self: My body is doing this for a reason, my body is doing this for a reason.*
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:45 am

Thumbs Down: Two mornings in a row now, I've woken up and been dizzy. Without even opening my eyes or standing up, I've felt like my world was spinning uncontrollably.

Thumbs Down: I was gagging from the heat for the last 2 miles yesterday, so I bet it's all related. I think I'm dehydrated.

Thumbs Up: If I get sick, I can leave work and sleep! (?)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:50 am

Boo! Drink more! I'm sorry I'm not there to give you rides to/from work. :(

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:42 am

. I've only gained about 10 pounds so far, so it's like all the weight is just shifting to my belly!
*crazy envy*

I am jealous. Having gained 12 pounds thus far. Stupid hormones making me ravenous every two hours.

*Repeats to self: My body is doing this for a reason, my body is doing this for a reason.*
The nausea accounted for part of that. The interminable gas and lack of appetite also contributed. It is really hard to chow down on a plate of spaghetti when a third of the way through your stomach is full of gas suddenly. The biggest part, though, was the change from living in suburban Canada to urban, pedestrian-loving England. I walk or bike everywhere here, so I was also very suddenly not gaining sloth-weight. I'm absolutely certain that if I were still in Canada, I would have gained twice what I have.

Meanwhile, yes, your body IS doing what it needs to do, and there's a VERY GOOD AND TINY REASON for it! Even if it's a pain in the ass in the meantime.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:11 pm

Boo! Drink more! I'm sorry I'm not there to give you rides to/from work. :(
I did, I think. I also made sure not to forget my shorts/t-shirt at home because I'm sure the jeans contributed to the overheating yesterday. My stomach did clench pretty hard-core pretty much the entire ride home but eh, I could still walk around when I got off my bike, so improvement!

I'm tempted to check my blood-sugar when I wake up, to be sure it's not a pre-diabetes thing making me dizzy in the mornings.

Thanks for the thought on the rides. :)

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:50 am

Thumbs up: My mixer came yesterday!
Thumbs down: It grinds a LOT when you turn it on.
Thumbs up: KitchenAid is sending me a new one.
Thumbs down: It will take 7-14 days to get here.
Thumbs down: The chance of it being here by Brian's birthday next friday is pretty slim.
Thumbs down: I can't bake him nearly the yumminess without a mixer as I could if this mixer worked right. :evil:
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Thumbs up: Summer classes are almost over.
Thumbs down: One midterm, a couple major papers, and finals before they're over.
Thumbs up: Anatomy is the coolest class ever.
Thumbs down: I can't be an anatomy TA in the fall because my microbial ecology lab conflicts with the mandatory TA meeting.
Thumbs up: I'm applying to be a tutor for general biology classes, which could be an awful idea, but I won't know unless I try.
Thumbs up: I will be home in three weeks!
Thumbs down: Taking the GRE the Monday after I get home.
Thumbs up: I will be home in three weeks!!!!
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:54 pm

Is that the old GRE or the new GRE? I'm thinking of re-taking it because my scores will now be 2 years old and while I can't really get higher percentage wise on verbal....I kind of need a higher math score. GOOD LUCK!
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Is that the old GRE or the new GRE? I'm thinking of re-taking it because my scores will now be 2 years old and while I can't really get higher percentage wise on verbal....I kind of need a higher math score. GOOD LUCK!
I'm taking the new one. It's 50% off the first couple months, which seemed like a good deal. Plus I hate the analogies, so...
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Up: Lovely picnic with friends
Down: My butt hurts like mad
Down: My legs are gonna hurt tomorrow, too
Up: I TOTALLY KICKED THAT 21 MILE BIKE TRIP'S BUTT
Up: I feel a lot better about myself today (I wonder why!)

EDIT: Oh god my butt! Work is going to be AWFUL tomorrow!

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:38 pm

This also works as a Goofus and Gallant comic.

Thumbs up: When I pet Maggie, she closes her eyes and nuzzles my hand.
Thumbs down: When I pet Roxxie, her eyes bulge out and she stop moving or moves away.
Thumbs up: When I stop petting Maggie, she gives my leg a brush as she walks away.
Thumbs down: When I stop petting Roxxie, she starts meowing, jumps into my lap, headbutts my chin, scratches at the closest thing, or any combination of the four to express her irritation.
Thumbs up: At bed time, Maggie curls up against my body or in her bed.
Thumbs down: At bed time, Roxxie meows as loudly as possibly from the furthest room until her name is yelled several times.
Thumbs up: When Maggie's nails get too long, she scratches on the scratching post.
Thumbs down: When Roxxie's nails get too long, she scratches on anything but the scratching post.
Thumbs up: When Maggie vomits up a hairball she... well, she carries on. I guess that's still kind of a thumbs down.
Thumbs down: When Maggie vomits up a hairball, Roxxie gets excited at the magical ability Maggie has to make free food. (We'll leave it at that.)
Thumbs down: When Roxxie vomits up a hairball, it is the biggest goddamn hairball you've ever seen.

I don't think I favor one of my cats over the other at all.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Neither of my two cats have ever had a hairball, going on three years now.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:24 pm

Neither of my two cats have ever had a hairball, going on three years now.
Same for the cat my last roommate and I adopted (seen here), but he had short hair, while my current cats (seen here)... not so much.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:36 am

Ah yes, I've never had long haired cats.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:13 am

Yeah. Would not have picked long-haired cats, myself.

Also, this is stupid: I just realized what "Nomi" meant.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:46 pm

As in, you just realized that it was a nickname for Naomi? It's funny, I was reading a blog by someone who has a daughter named Naomi and she referred to her as "Nomi". It seemed really weird to me because even though I've met other 'Naomi's', I've never heard anyone else called Nomi. I guess I thought of as mine. :)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”