Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:25 am

Can't wait for next month.
It feels like I've been waiting the full decade since the first game came out for this prequel to finally release.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:41 am

(on Metroids) I think I'm scared of them because they're this unstoppable force. They're like zombies, in that, if there's one of them left, no matter how it's contained, they'll be back in force some day. But unlike zombies, there's absolutely nothing human about them. They're cold and evil and they mix it up.

Plus, as your Energy Tank think proves, the Space Pirates are idiots. So as long as there are Space Pirates around, Metroids will be getting into things. Because tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuubes.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:24 am

I think the scary thing about metroids is how relentless they are. Most enemies and obstacles stay in one particular territory or part of the area until they're disturbed. Even Space Pirates or Bounty Hunters are understood to exist for some reason other than to feed on your life force, and will take cover or make other maneuvers when engaging you. With a metroid, you know from the moment you see it, its only consideration is the all consuming hunger to latch onto you and kill you. When any other enemy does damage to you, the damage is done and you immediately start thinking about what's coming next, there's no lingering fear. With a metroid, when your life is in danger you know only that it's begun.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIe9O529MR0

I can't imagine that that's the first of its kind to exist, but it still looks really awesome.

Edit: Forgot, also wanted to post:

I like to watch gameplay of many games. Even fighting games, which I don't really play (except for Smash) and thus don't entirely understand what's going on in advanced play. When reading about how they work, though, you can still get a feel for what is really going on (commentary helps), and I can still tell when something ridiculously awesome happens. I've never played blazblue, but watching MikeZ come back from near death is still very fun to watch (of which there are many videos).

But with that said... I cannot get these tag-team "vs" games. I mean, just... what the hell is going on? I'm sure there is impressive stuff in there, but it's all hidden behind all the graphics and the sheer number of objects on screen. (Hidden from scrubs like me, anyway :)
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:51 pm

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (I'm waiting for a new copy to arrive, the first one I got on Half.com wouldn't play some chapters...)
Wipeout HD (Yeeeeah, getting hacked!)
Final Fantasy XIII (Not a huge fan of this installment)
Final Fantasy VII (had to cleanse my system with the classic)
Resident Evil 5
Red Dead Redemption
inFAMOUS (Yeeeeeah, getting hacked!)

I just got my PS3 in the spring, like a month before the whole hack debacle, so I'm enjoying some older games. (Because I can get them CHEAP!)

Also: Solitaire and Spider Solitaire on Windows. :D

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:06 pm

Edit: Forgot, also wanted to post:

I like to watch gameplay of many games. Even fighting games, which I don't really play (except for Smash) and thus don't entirely understand what's going on in advanced play. When reading about how they work, though, you can still get a feel for what is really going on (commentary helps), and I can still tell when something ridiculously awesome happens. I've never played blazblue, but watching MikeZ come back from near death is still very fun to watch (of which there are many videos).

But with that said... I cannot get these tag-team "vs" games. I mean, just... what the hell is going on? I'm sure there is impressive stuff in there, but it's all hidden behind all the graphics and the sheer number of objects on screen. (Hidden from scrubs like me, anyway :)
I've never mentioned it, but I'm kind of disappointed that no one here seems to be into fighting games (other than Smash Bros). I've been a fan of the Capcom fighters since SFII in the early 90s. I've played a lot of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 since it came out. I'm even such a dork that I watched most of EVO live via the web. It's pretty exciting when you know the game.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm

I'm moderately into Guilty Gear, which is Marval vs. Capcom-ish in terms of gameplay style.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:50 pm

I've been playing Starcraft 2 for my RTS fix. Team Fortress 2 for my FPS fix, Portal 2 for my puzzle solving fix, and Field Runners HD for my smartphone gaming fix.

I was/am in a clan that played a lot of Call of Duty, but with that series going downhill so much I didn't even purchase Black Ops. It's the first game of that franchise I haven't even played.

Looking forward to getting my hands on Battlefield 3 which is what my clan is probably going to be playing when it comes out. We'll most likely rent a server for that game when the time comes. Right now we're a clan without a game and it's pretty weird. We have forums and all, but nobody's all that active since we don't have a game to play.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:54 pm

Oh and I'll probably play Deus Ex at some point. I remember liking the first game a lot, but it's been so long that I don't really remember the plotline or what was so great about that game.

Not to mention Bioshock. Love that franchise.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:03 pm

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:01 pm

That's some infuriating level design.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:57 pm

I've never mentioned it, but I'm kind of disappointed that no one here seems to be into fighting games (other than Smash Bros). I've been a fan of the Capcom fighters since SFII in the early 90s. I've played a lot of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 since it came out. I'm even such a dork that I watched most of EVO live via the web. It's pretty exciting when you know the game.
Well, I at least like watching them! I just could never stand playing fighting games that require the traditional button combo things. I would have watched Evo 2011 live if I had known it was happening at the time (er, and I wasn't working; I don't remember which specific days of the week and when during the day it was). The final SF4 rounds seemed pretty amazing, but maybe they just had good commentators. There was also a panel with Daigo that seemed really cool, explaining some of his thought process.

dgf hhw

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:25 pm

Delicious, delicious Steam. I love hard copies of games. But man, there's nothing like having it preloaded on my computer, ready for me when I get home (and whenever I want it in the future, barring Valve dying and not coming up with some awesome compensation).

Row--row.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:19 pm

Human Revolution is entertaining me so far. I was extremely excited for it, so much that I realized I had nothing to do the night before, but couldn't stay up too late as I worked the next day, so I just went to bed two hours early, thus giving me two more hours the next morning to play.

The locations, inventory, and ammo all feel a lot more like the original than Invisible War did, which I love. The moral ambiguity about everything is great, too. But I can't help feeling like it isn't, well, as awesome as I had hoped. Which was probably way too high an expectation. But come on, it's receiving nearly perfect marks from everyone.

And guh, I cannot go near Reddit. Not for spoilers: just for the exact same stupid images and jokes being posted over and over again. "LOL GUYS DID YOU SEE THE ಠ_ಠ? SO AWESOME XD".

We'll see in a few days.

Row--row.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:00 am

My Fifa skills are subpar. My Halo 3 skills need work.
Considering a ridiculous amount of people in my dorm carry either an Xbox or Ps3, I should be good at these games - and good friends with these people - by the end of the year.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:08 am

My only issue with Deus Ex is the character animations during conversations.

Also, I find myself killing a lot more people than I had planned to going in.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:50 pm

I watched a little gameplay for Human Revolution recently... I'm trying not to watch too much, since I do think I'll play it eventually. But what I saw did seem very good; just by the time I heard some unatco-y background music I was pretty sure it had me.

I like watching takedowns way more than I thought I would. I'm not sure how I feel about them as a gameplay element, but I will probably never know until I play a significant amount of it myself. It doesn't help that the random guy on youtube I saw playing it is terrible at the game. I suppose it shouldn't surprise me, but when I go looking for some gameplay footage -- I refuse to call these LPs -- of new games like this to see what they're like (DE: HR, DNF, Other M), the people playing them are just... idiot fratboy bros. Every time! I'm not sure who else I would expect to be playing DNF, but still!

dgf hhw

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:25 pm

If you want to watch people playing games, Human Revolution included, I might suggest you download OnLive. It will let you watch anyone who's currently playing live as they play.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:40 pm

I thought I would mind takedowns, but I don't. There's no melee in the game at all, from what I've seen, and that's what they essentially are: it's like I have a police baton again! Plus, they cost energy, and look awesome, so it balances out nicely.

Animations during dialog are really annoying, especially on the Asian women who have tiny tiny heads and normal-sized bodies (with oddly-placed breasts). But I at least don't recognize every single animation yet, like I did within the first five minutes of, say, Mass Effect.

I'm disappointed in the aug system, although I wasn't at first. Mostly I'm disappointed because I'm probably about 1/2 through the game, maybe 2/3, and I don't really care what augs I get anymore. I have all of the ones I want. So I wish there was a reason to get more XP. What I loved about the original was the two-pronged upgrade system: both skills and augs. Here I don't feel like there's much to improve, other than skills I'm avoiding because I feel they'll make the game even easier.

Row--row.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:32 pm

I'm disappointed in the aug system, although I wasn't at first. Mostly I'm disappointed because I'm probably about 1/2 through the game, maybe 2/3, and I don't really care what augs I get anymore. I have all of the ones I want. So I wish there was a reason to get more XP. What I loved about the original was the two-pronged upgrade system: both skills and augs. Here I don't feel like there's much to improve, other than skills I'm avoiding because I feel they'll make the game even easier.
I found that, too. By the time I got to Montreal, I didn't really have anything else I wanted to invest my Praxis points in. However, I made the mistake of throwing the few I had into [spoiler redacted*] just for kicks, then immediately regretted it when .

*The Aug I burned my points on isn't itself a spoiler, but its just one less Aug I could be referring to in the second spoiler.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:05 am

And done.

Even on Deus Ex difficulty, the game becomes far too easy at the end with all the Praxis points Adam has accumulated. Even more so if you preordered through GameStop as the grenade launcher is a wee bit overpowered.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:34 pm

Triple post, now with SPOILERS:.

The game left a lot of questions unanswered.

Such as, on the second trip to Hengsha, I confronted Zelazny, the rogue Belltower agent a Limb doctor asks you to "take care of" about his plans. In the end I decided to let him go and proceeded to lie to the Limb doctor about having done so. I fully expected to hear about the deaths of the people Zelazny was planning to kill later in the game, but got nothing.

Similarly, I let O'Malley—the bad cop—bribe me, then lied to Jenny Alexander about it, curious where he might pop back up later. He didn't.

And Megan, WTF? I save her and rush her and the other doctors out to Malik's chopper/jet/thing with the promise to talk about things later— And we never see her again.

Well, we hear her after the credits, but how she ended up on Bob Page's doorstep is a bit of a mystery, especially having picked Sarif's ending the first time through. There's no reason offered why she can't just go back to Sarif Industries.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:50 pm

I really liked this PA of Human Revolution: http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/09/02 I haven't been following too much about the game, but I just love the nerdy-looking Jensen :)

Back to fighting games. Watch this, at least for the first few seconds (and/or a few seconds at around 1:48, and a few other spots I think), where they show the actual players playing. See that guy with his face mashed up against the controller? I didn't notice that for a while when watching the video, but it looked strange, to say the least. The guy apparently has some genetic thing where he can't use his hands very well, so he plays with... well, with his face, basically: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83nSodg-HTU

When I heard he had some condition, I assumed he was using some custom controller or something, like the things that let you control things by blowing puffs of air into them or something. But no, this is a regular controller, and he just uses his cheek and tongue to press the buttons. Amazing. Especially since, in that clip, he is playing who most people consider to be the best SF4 player by far, and is managing to hold his own (even though he ended up losing the match).

dgf hhw

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Just finished Human Revolution

(SPOILERS, SPOILERS SPOILERS)

, and I was left feeling something was missing. The developers had done so well up to the end with the story and characters, then left a few massive holes, such as never speaking to Megan about what she had been doing and learning her motivations, or what was going on with the human 'drones' plugged in to the computer - I managed to avoid harming any of them, but they all spontaneously died anyway? It felt like they reached the end of development, and just given up on bringing it all together in a satisfying way.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:06 pm

just started playing punch out wii. Very fun. STupid great tiger is still hard. bastard.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:01 pm

Any PS3 owners add me:

Selah__ (2 underscore)
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:22 pm

It took a bit of searching, but I found a fan-made mod of C&C Gold that works on 64 bit Windows 7.
The enemy's fly is down.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:33 pm

It took installing a windows 95 virtual machine and throttling my process or by 50%, but I finally have the Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail video game running on my PC!
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:47 pm

I finished Metroid Prime a little bit ago. I forgot to mention earlier that one of my favorite little things added to the game is the face reflection you see when lighting effects occur behind/next to you. The first time I saw that I was just... wow. It's a really sudden (and infrequent) reminder to me that Samus is a real person inside that suit, that can be hurt, afraid, etc etc. In the previous 2D games (and most of the time in the 3D ones) all you see is that cold, almost inhuman, exterior for the entire time (except at the end), and I think that small glimpse of a face here provides a strong juxtaposition without overdoing it (like, cutscenes out of the suit or something would be like). It's a little thing, but I thought that was really effective.

However, having finally beaten the game... that last boss was just tedious. The boss battles in general in Prime I found to be a little lacking, mostly due to the restrictions of what you can do with the controls. You simply cannot have a fight like Super Metroid's Ridley, since you can't move around very quickly, and you can't aim and move simultaneously at all. So the bosses are either puzzle-battles, or something where you just lock on and strafe the whole time. (The final form of the last boss, as well as the battle where you get the Phazon suit are slight exceptions to that, but still not too great.)

Admittedly, some of my frustrations with the combat were due to the (s*****) controller I was using, which I discovered after I switched to a better controller. It doesn't help that gamecube controllers are also just intrinsically terrible, though.

Also, no final escape sequence? What the hell? I seriously threw my hands up in the air in disbelief that the "everything is collapsing, you've got to escape now" thing happened, but it was a cutscene. Seriously, what?

dgf hhw

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:09 am

I don't know if you've played it, but the reflection element is used for even greater impact in Prime 3. Though it has the same problem when it comes to boss battles, and pulls the same stunt at the end.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:16 pm

After three days of trying and about tenthousand swear words I finally beat Great tiger on wii.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:11 pm

I love swearing at games.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:59 pm

I don't know if you've played it
No, I've never played any Metroid games after Super before; I'm just slowly working my way through the Primes now. (With intermissions of a few runs of Super :)

Doesn't 3 have at least a somewhat different control scheme, though? I mean, it's all wiimotified and stuff.

dgf hhw

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:33 am

The controls are different, the most obvious being that there's no way to switch between beams - new beams are upgrades rather than options. Though the new controls fix the problem you were having with the bosses - because you have to aim manually, there is more skill involved than just 'lock on and spam the A button'.

Personally, I loved 3 - better than 1, I think, and 2 is a bit odd.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”