The College Thread =D

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:03 pm

CezeN, does your intro to logic class deal with sentential and predicate logic? I took a logic class this semester that dealt with those, and it was absolutely fascinating. I really enjoyed the class, even if it was my lowest grade and does nothing towards helping me graduate.. I hope you enjoy your class, anyway!
I don't know, there aren't any details available about the class. There aren't even class comments about my teacher. =(

This is the class, out of all the others, that I'm looking forward to the most. Hopefully, it'll be as interesting as yours.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:02 pm

So Cezen, how was your first year? I thoroughly enjoyed my first year of college, but I know others have had some not so nice experiences.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:59 pm

It was pretty awesome really. Well, except my second semester GPA and C in Sociology. Seriously, I loved reading the material for that class(and went to every class, though late half the time), yet the teacher's tests - and lack of any info about the Final - was ridiculous.

Other than that, this is the only summer in the history of Summer Break where I've almost constantly wished for it to hurry up and end. I wish I was actually still at my college with my college friends, even if it means doing school work and working a job.

Oh, and I didn't go wild in any particular way including alcohol, drugs, or manwhoring myself. Nontheless, I became friends with some potheads, drunks, and DK the babyfacekiller. I gained 20 pounds of muscle. That's about it.
How was your first year of college, whenever it was?

Current Schedule for Next Semester:
Movement Fundamentals
American Lit: Beginnings to 1865
Elementary Latin 1
Psychology and Law

I'm still looking to add a philosophy class, but Foreign Language meets 4 days a week and limits my schedule.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Latin? Eeexcellent...
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:43 pm

I gained 20 pounds of muscle.
YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!!!

That is not what the freshman 15 means.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:59 pm

Better than me. I think I came close to losing 15 pounds my freshman year.

I'm signed up for 18 credits in the fall, 17 of which are upper-level science courses (man, I really should have more variety in my life). This may be a mistake.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:56 pm

That's pretty much what happened to me. Turned out being on the meal plan meant less food and way less junk food than I ate at home. Just being away from Little Debbies for an entire semester probably was responsible for at least half that weight loss.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:45 pm

Did you guys have an unlimited meal plan?
All I know is that at home, I'm limited to eating whatever's in the fridge.
At my uni, I can literally eat almost whenever I want - and workout as much as I want as well...

Also, my roomate who's taken years of Latin says that it isn't a spoken language. Most people don't speak it anymore? Well, I think that's made up for by the fact that latin roots can help you gleam meanings in words in a ton of different languages. Is that true for any of you that have taken Latin?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:51 pm

That's pretty much what happened to me. Turned out being on the meal plan meant less food and way less junk food than I ate at home. Just being away from Little Debbies for an entire semester probably was responsible for at least half that weight loss.
30lbs freshman year, another 10lbs sophomore year for me. I ate better and less and walked a hell of a lot more.

No unlimited meal plans at my school. You paid a set amount per semester and made it work or you didn't make it work and added more money when you ran out. I don't think there was anything in either of the student unions that was buffet-style, all you can eat.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:00 pm

The cafeteria is all-you-can-eat, but I've only been there once. You have to pay a set amount to go in there so it's not unlimited in that sense, but almost everyone I know who ate there had extra money on their meal plan. I've never lived on campus, so I always have to make my own food, which accounts for the weight loss freshman year (that and walking). Since then I've learned the beauty of dinner groups, roommates who'll join in cooking a meal, and grilled cheese sandwiches. I keep telling myself to learn the beauty of the weight room and swimming pools and tennis courts, but I'll have managed so far is the track.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:51 am

The cafeteria is all-you-can-eat, but I've only been there once. You have to pay a set amount to go in there so it's not unlimited in that sense, but almost everyone I know who ate there had extra money on their meal plan. I've never lived on campus, so I always have to make my own food, which accounts for the weight loss freshman year (that and walking). Since then I've learned the beauty of dinner groups, roommates who'll join in cooking a meal, and grilled cheese sandwiches. I keep telling myself to learn the beauty of the weight room and swimming pools and tennis courts, but I'll have managed so far is the track.
Hmm what's it like to live off campus? For you, specifically, is it that much cheaper than dorms?

I don't know if I'd ever live off campus during my undergraduate year, because given the size of my university, almost every place is a 5-10 minute walk away from 90% of the dorms we have. And then, I'd have to buy a car and a parking permit - assuming I have my license by the end of this summer.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:49 am

My freshman year I was on the flex plan, 15.50 a day to spend at any hospitality services venue on campus. If you wanted to buy 15.50 worth of candy bars from student union you could, if you wanted to by 15.50 worth of starbucks or jamba juice you could.

It taught you how to budget really well. Most of the all-you-can-eat cafeterias were about $5 for breakfast $7 for lunch and and $9 for dinner. The most expensive was parkside, which was, I think $10 for dinner. Our group would go to parkside every friday night for dinner, because that's how we rolled. Most of the rest of the time I would eat at places where I could get ala carte. You also had 500 in dining dollars for the semester I think, that you could use as you liked for 'overruns'. They killed flex plan after my freshman year to make way for tiers of 'all-you-can-eat' plans at the various dining halls and a handful of other plans. Flex plan was popular because it was cheap, but I think it was very unpopular with parents because most students did not know how to budget, overran their dining dollars within a month or less and their parents had to keep paying and paying more money to the meal plan every month.

For me it was a revelation though, perfect, wonderful introduction to living on my own and on a budget. :)
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:38 am

Also, my roomate who's taken years of Latin says that it isn't a spoken language. Most people don't speak it anymore? Well, I think that's made up for by the fact that latin roots can help you gleam meanings in words in a ton of different languages. Is that true for any of you that have taken Latin?
Not entirely true. There are a couple weekly radio broadcasts about or in Latin. A few schools in the states offer Latin-immersion. You can buy Latin Dr Suess books. It's still the official language of Vatican City, and all their official publications have to be drafted in it. There are two spoken-Latin movies. You can buy Latin Scrabble sets.

Do most people speak it? No. Are there resources for people who want to speak it and know it well? Definitely. Is it useful for any sort of historical and/or philosophical course of study? Oh hells yes.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:18 pm

Hmm what's it like to live off campus? For you, specifically, is it that much cheaper than dorms?

I don't know if I'd ever live off campus during my undergraduate year, because given the size of my university, almost every place is a 5-10 minute walk away from 90% of the dorms we have. And then, I'd have to buy a car and a parking permit - assuming I have my license by the end of this summer.
I really like living off campus. My university is a little different than most. On-campus housing is primarily freshman, and a most of the apartments off campus are that far away. I don't have a car or bike and I do just fine. I'll probably get one before I'm done though, since I have to do an internship at a hospital. Off campus is a bit cheaper than dorms, but not a ton. The biggest price difference for me is food--I spend a lot less making my own than I would with a meal plan. Rent itself, once you throw in utilities and internet and such, isn't significantly less.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:14 pm

Someone, remind me to comment on this later. First two years, lived on-campus. Last two years, lived off. Loved both for different reasons.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:58 pm

I lived on campus (or well, university housing because no housing was on campus) both years. I kind of regret it, but I think it worked out okay. I went to university in a college town that was right by a large city and interned in the city & in the opposite direction, so I didn't actually spend much time ever at my place of residence. The funny thing is, having been gone two years, I would now love to move back and have a better sense of where the good places to rent are that aren't right around campus. However, if at the time I could have found something right by the subway or right by campus or right by my favorite author's house (LOL KIDDING), then I would have gone for it.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:07 pm

DK the babyfacekiller
Just curious: is this a reference I don't get, or an inside joke I'm not supposed to?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:46 am

An inside joke you're not supposed.

MICH, you were gonna post in this thread! ('-' )

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:27 pm

Oh yeah!

So my first two years I lived on-campus. My first year was in the freshman dorm (an experience that won't be of much help to you, but let me get there). This was great because A) it forced me to meet people and B) was perfect when I became friends with those people and we lived right near each other. Like, in the same building. Plus we were freshman together, which is great as a bonding experience: you know that everyone else there is new.

Second year was split, actually, between an apartment in Boise (Idaho) with a horribly neglectful roommate and a dorm in Moscow (Idaho). The dorm will, forever, be supremely better. It was a pretty high-quality dorm, and I still greatly appreciated A) being on-campus, meaning going to class was about as relaxing as staying at home, B) using the food court, which, while the food wasn't super-high-quality, was always there and always plentiful, and C) still having some cooking options in that there was a shared kitchen with several stoves and ovens. Plus, it still had the factor of being near all of my friends who were also in dorms, and I could actually pick my roommates, who were awesome.

Third and fourth years I finally branched out and moved off-campus and had the same roommate for both years. We both agreed that living on-campus was much, much simpler. You paid one bill, food was always there and ready for you if you felt like cooked food, even if you didn't feel like cooking it. Being on dorms and having that five-minute walk to class was also so, so handy that I missed it, even though campus was only a fifteen minute walk from my apartment. However, there was so much more freedom: no need to worry about hanging things on the walls, no quiet hour, furniture that I picked out myself. Even though my parents were paying for most of everything (hey, it was much cheaper than living in a dorm), it gave me a lot of experience in that transitioning to a real adult post-graduation was just as smooth as could be.

It was annoying having to actually find the apartment, though. Pick one out from the potentials, determine costs, tour them, apply... Ugh. It's the most difficult part of moving.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re: The College Thread =D

Postby CezeN » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:05 pm

Well, it looks like this thread has come full circle for me...The last leg of college is about to begin for me. In about a week. This should be harder than any last leg of anything I've ever done. These are the moments when you dig in deep for that last bit of inner strength to pull yourself longer and harder than you ever did during the previous 3/4ths of the track. This is my "Enemies Gate is Down" moment...I'm done dramatizing it now.

Prime importance: Law school apps. From the mouth of a former law school admissions dean, the earlier you apply, the better your chances.
I still need to add more law schools, but as of now these are the upper ranked schools I will be attempting to get admissions into: Emory, WUSTL, Northwestern, Georgetown, and Washington and Lee.(Based on research concerning best states and best cities to practice law, which schools are splitter friendly, stats concerning minorities LSAT and gpa scores) I need to look up more law schools from all the different tiers.

Going in on this semester, I already have two professors that will be writing my letters of recommendations and work with me on them.
I have a rough draft of my Personal Statement. I need to cut it down and pretty it up.
I don't have a statement of purpose, but I'm sure I'll cross that bridge when I get to law schools that require it.

The last important component is the LSAT, which I've officially signed up for. I'm on the last month and a half of studying, most of which will be during school. And yet, I'm gonna turn it up harder--3 preptests a week.
Latest and best LSAT preptest: 22 Arguments, 22 Reading, 22 Arguments, 13 Logic Games--163. If I can do this well consistently with Arguments and get my Logic Games up to at least 20, 170 is achievable.

Secondary importance: Doing good in 6 classes during my college apps.

African American Lit to 1900 (Lecture)
Criticism (Lecture)
Intro to Feminist Philosophy (Lecture)
Ethics (Lecture)
Personality Theories (Lecture)
Intro to WGSS (Lecture)

Have to take 6 classes if I want to graduate on time....this is going to be quite the challenge.

Secondary importance: Getting my LSAT score up to 170! Juggling 6 classes, law school apps, and 11 minimum hours of workstudy, I am going to take 3 preptests a week--Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays. I'm going to be sleeping at 10 Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays in order to wake up at 5 and take them in time before my class at 10. Oh, how far I've come from sleeping at 2 or 3 freshman year!

This will be my toughest semester, but I can't wait to show my challenges who's in control.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”