Things that make me laugh

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:29 pm

one who stands next to the door as everybody walks in and sterylizes the door handle as each person uses it.
one who makes kids stand in the corner because they are slouching
one who knows 5 languages fluently, is an expert dancer, and has mastered Tai Kwan Do, Jujitzu, and karate
one who did all this before he is 30 years old

... ya. Severe case of Obsessive compulsive germophobic perfectionist overachiever disorder.
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:32 pm

Okay I can understand the sterilising the doorhandle. But DUDE, have you ever thought about how utterly disgusting they are? Really stopped and thought a moment?

I know people who have mastered 4 or 5 languages, mind, and nearly all of them are under 30. It's not THAT hard.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:38 pm

Maybe that just seems more impressive to me because I am having such a hard time mastering Latin. vocasne latinae? I just assumed because of your username and rank...

anyway, he speaks fluent English, Latin, Hebrew, German, and Greek, and knows enough of French and Spanish to get by

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:56 pm

"Vocasne latinam?" You want the accusative case.

That should answer your question. :)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:35 pm

... and that just really unfortunately underlines my point about having trouble getting Latin. Is my Sig. translated correctly?

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:46 pm

In my opinion, no. Where did you find excapio? It's not in my one dictionary, and the other only lists it as a possible compound of ex and capio. This does not mean it doesn't exist, but I'm curious where you found it.

Anyway, venia is actually the word for "kindness, favour (n.)". Venio, venire, which I assume you were using, actually means "to come". "Going" is a colloquial word that it's a bit hard to translate.* Fudging things a bit, I'd go with eundum, the future passive participle of io, ire, "to go".

For tough I would use durus, which has more overtones of "tough" than fortis which more commonly means "brave, strong".

Finally, for "get naked" I found exuo, exuere, which can be used reflexively to roughly mean "strip one's self".

So, after all that longwinded blather, try using: Cum eundum durum fit, dura se exuunt.

But, keep in mind that translating idiom is a right pain in the ass, and if you ask your teacher, he'll probably come up with something entirely different. There are three words for "then", for example. I chose the one I thought best, but he might pick a different one.

Cheers!

* Futue gerundia.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:47 pm

I actually can see the meaning "where kindness is strong, the robes are taken away from the strong ones".
I am not too sure about the precise meaning of the verbal form of excapient, but it seems legit.
I think he intended transation from latin to english, not the other way around ^_^

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:55 pm

Vestimentam is in the accusative. It has to be "the strong ones take away an article of clothing" or similar.

Also, I KNOW excapio has to be a word, but it's not in three dictionaries, my book of Latin verbs, or my copy of Kennedy, and between Kennedy and my notes IN Kennedy, it should be there somewhere! And since the verb book lists capio as "to put on", excapio is entirely reasonable (I think).

Aw, feck. I'm so rusty it's shameful. You would rarely see excapio in the wild - the vowels change. It's excipio. No wonder I couldn't find it.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:12 pm

excapio is not in dictionaries because like you noted earlier, it is simply the prefix "ex-" meaning "out/off" combined with the verb "capio"-"to take"

thanks for the correct translation for my sig.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:03 am

Yes but when you make a compound verb out of capio there's a vowel change, so you will always get prep + -cipio. THAT is why I couldn't find it. Excipio is in all my sources.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:12 am

Oh. well that makes sense. huh. well, again, thanks for the help. are you fluent in Latin, or do you just know it well enough to do this?

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:03 am

I'm pretty rusty at the moment, but I've got a pretty good reading fluency. Speaking/writing it is a lot harder.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:41 am

What was the verbal form "capient"? i just don't remember what it was. So i can't make much sense of the 2 accusatives lol

On the other hand, i don't see "the going" being translated literally into latin. Heck, i don't even know what it means in english XD. Is it anything like "when the path gets tough"? :)

Also, in the second part of the signature, i like the original version better :D Audax has a different implication than fortes.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:29 am

Capient is the future third person plural indicative form. It's a weird one, because it's an i-stem third conjugation verb. It means "take, seize, put on" and a few other things.

With "the going" I used a fpp, my sorta-fudged version of a gerund. Gerunds are a pain in the ass, but it works, I think.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:41 am

Then it kinda makes sense to translate "they will take away the robes from the strong ones" if we assume a double accusative construction of Direct Complement + Predicative Complement (assuming that in latin "from them" it's a valid predicative for "taking away", kinda like "Populus romanus Ciceronem consulem creavit").

gah, so many years have passed lol, but it's fun.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Im only in my 3rd year of Latin. How many years have you had, jotabe? you sound like you know enough.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:48 pm

... and to add to the list of Things that make me laugh:

The government-worshipping media.

actually, it kinda makes me sick, but it sometimes is funny how obviously they cover up for the current administration.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:21 pm

Then it kinda makes sense to translate "they will take away the robes from the strong ones" if we assume a double accusative construction of Direct Complement + Predicative Complement (assuming that in latin "from them" it's a valid predicative for "taking away", kinda like "Populus romanus Ciceronem consulem creavit").

gah, so many years have passed lol, but it's fun.
It really is fun, isn't it? But what it was getting at was that fortes was a nominative plural, they being the ones removing the vestimentam. In your trans, I'm pretty sure the double accusative doesn't work. You would need an ablative of some sort for "from them". There's something different in that from the Cicero example, but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:27 pm

aren't there only a couple of words that trigger a double accusative construction? like rogo and..... something else?

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:52 pm

For what's worth, all the verbs that mean "taking away something from someone", the "something" is a direct complement, and the "from someone" is an indirect complement... that's how sentence structure works for us in that kind of constructions.
And it coincides with the kind of construction "making someone to be something" like in the Cicero example: again, consul would be DC and Cicero would be IC.
If the paralelism holds, in Spanish these DC+IC would derive from double accusative sentences in Latin. Of course, i dunno at all if this is legitly appliable to latin, but this is how it works in Spanish Portuguese, and i think Catalonian too.

That's the quid of the matter, if fortes is nominative or accusative XD lol

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:37 pm

Things that make me laugh:

This smosh video is probably the funniest thing I have seen smosh do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kjTpzFHaK4

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:14 pm

My little sister is having a party tonight. I can't help but wonder if I was as wild as the kids in my living room right now when I was their age. I swear, I can hear screams all the way from the other side of the house.

Hehehe, and when I watch younger kids play sports. I also can't help but wonder if I looked like that.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:33 pm

Young kids playing sports are AWESOME. It's so adorable.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:47 pm

It is. Especially kindergarten soccer or second grade basketball. The refs will let just about anything go, and I just love it. :D

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:50 pm

And they're like puppies! Gangly and uncoordinated and liable to fall over.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:29 pm

Really?...I don't really like kids.
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:34 pm

I like little kids, but as a general rue, they hate me.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Why? Are you too bossy?

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:56 pm

I love little kids (most of the time) :D I help teach swim lessons and Sunday school, and all the little kindergardeners know me, and say hi. It's sooo cute

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:04 pm

For what's worth, all the verbs that mean "taking away something from someone", the "something" is a direct complement, and the "from someone" is an indirect complement... that's how sentence structure works for us in that kind of constructions.
And it coincides with the kind of construction "making someone to be something" like in the Cicero example: again, consul would be DC and Cicero would be IC.
If the paralelism holds, in Spanish these DC+IC would derive from double accusative sentences in Latin. Of course, i dunno at all if this is legitly appliable to latin, but this is how it works in Spanish Portuguese, and i think Catalonian too.

That's the quid of the matter, if fortes is nominative or accusative XD lol
There are a limited number of cases where this happens. According to Kennedy's Revised Latin Primer (my go-to source), you get a Double Accusative when:

1. You have a verb compounded with trans. This makes sense to me because trans takes an accusative in addition to the verb which takes an accusative, however, we weren't using transcipio.
2. Factitive verbs (making, saying, thinking, choosing, showing) take a predicative accusative in agreement with the object. Fortes doesn't agree with vestimentam in any case.
3. Some verbs of teaching, asking, or concealing take an accusative of Person and an accusative of Thing: doceo, flagito, postulo, posco, rogo, oro, celo are the ones mentioned.

There's a couple of even more obscure cases, but nothing where capio might be included. Good memory on number 3, CT:CT. Cicero can be creavit the consul because it's a verb of making and falls under category 2.

Jota, this is the most Latin fun I've had in almost two years. :D

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:07 pm

Swim lessons, Jeeshgirl? Are you a lifeguard?

I like kids but I find myself quickly overwhelmed by them. I'm introverted and kids in large numbers exhaust me. I do enjoy spending time with them in groups of 1 or 2, though. And as a spectator sport, they're hilarious. I've gotten to really like the comic "One Big Happy" because I find the kids as random and selfish and hilarious as real kids. Much funnier and sweeter than Family Circus, IMO.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:10 pm

No, I'm not a life guard. At least not yet. I can't till next year when I'm 16...

And, yes, kids do get overwhelming sometimes. It really is hard to keep up with them. You can turn your back for a second, and four of them are gone or in trouble.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:54 pm

Uh... I guess i misinterpreted the age group we were talking about. by "little kids" I meant that infants don't really like me. They cry whenever I hold them. (I must be uglier than I thought, lol) My mom teaches kindergarten, and her students adore me. lots of little kindergarteners and kindergarten graduates love me because they love my mom. I also babysit from time to time for some of these kindergarteners, even though I am a guy.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:32 pm

Off topic! And what's with all the talk of Latin?

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:48 pm

eh. my sig translation and eaquae legit's name were noticed and commented on. I found out how bad I am at Latin. Then he and Jotabe discussed how my sig SHOULD be translated...

Return to “Milagre Town Square”