Dude, your avatar's broken.

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Dude, your avatar's broken.

Postby Jayelle » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:35 pm

Cam, Jota, I'm looking at you guys.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:51 pm

Seriously. I was so excited when I saw Jota posted something, and then no Leekspin.

No. Leekspin.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:34 pm

LOL I guess that's what I get for not responding when you mentioned it in Bob

I know it's broken, I just don't have any idea how to get to that photobucket account anymore, much less any good avatars to use

There's an idea, we'll make this a thread to decide what my future avatar is.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:35 pm

No. Leekspin.
No leekspin and no kirby make zero go something something...
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:28 am

something, something, darkside... something, something, complete.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:26 pm

oops i hadn't checked this thread...
i am trying to get back my avatars :shock:

edit :D back!
Because nobody expects the spanish inquisition!

Our chief weapon is surprise! surprise and fear... fear and surprise....
Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....
Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope....
Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! ...Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:15 pm

There's too many new threads as it is. How the hell am I supposed to continue ignoring this place if you people keeping making and posting in new threads?

Let's skip the thread this time and just use one of these instead:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/ ... aPyr0x.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/ ... /note2.jpg

You can even link straight from my photobucket if you want. I think Kimmie still does too.
The enemy's fly is down.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:40 pm

I think I might, Josh. Haha. :)
-Kim

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:28 pm

Oh my, all the animated gifs, what have we done...

Tha kirby is much slower than I remember, though.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:59 am

Oh my, all the animated gifs, what have we done...

Tha kirby is much slower than I remember, though.
That's because i was messing with the animation shop 2, to join leekspin with running kirby into a single gif. Had i put them separately in the sig, they would appear vertically instead of horizontally, and that would have cause a "divide by cucumber error". And we do not want that.

So, which gif gets the axe? yeah i think that 3 animated gifs is a bit too much XD

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:33 am

My clown was SUPPOSED to be animated, but I couldn't find one which was 100 pixels or less...
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:20 pm

Seriously, dude, your avatar is colouring the way I read your posts. Makes me dislike you without giving you a chance.

Just thought you should know.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Im sorry. I think I'll change to... what?.... hmmm...

I'll change.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:31 pm

How's that? Much less creepy. and M C Escher is an amazing artist.

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:53 pm

Eh? You be change? So fast?

Creepy clown was creepy. But also very awesome.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:04 pm

YOU can have it if you want... just look up Clown Face on Bing.com and find more sizes. find the 100x100 size.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:57 pm

Besides, I have a phobia of clowns. I just made that my avatar so I might be a little less afraid. Im not.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:31 pm

LOVE the new avatar, quite killer.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:28 pm

Well thanks

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:03 pm

...Seriously?

I honestly can't believe that you just changed your avi simply because someone on the internet; unjustifiabley; told you that it makes them not like you....
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:16 pm

Actually, I'm a little impressed. You may have noticed we're quite community-focused here. Small courtesies like that are really appreciated. We're not just "people on the internets," at least, not to those who stick around for any length of time. We call each other, have meet-ups, send gifts and cards to each other, even date and get married ( :mrgreen: ). Sure, we've got some new folks who haven't started being a part of that yet, but there's no reason they can't be, and being nice just because is a good way to start.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:24 pm

... and if ANYBODY needed to change his avatar, it would be you Cezen

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:33 pm

I guess I'm unimpressed because I feel that it is wrong to conform to people's standards.(This is of course not the same as conforming to rules and obligations)
An avatar is supposed to be a personal expression of you, what you're feeling, or whatever you want. Whatever reason you want it.

The fact that he'd change that uniqueness, his personal choice, to look better in someone else's eye isn't something I'd admire. Though, mostly because I'm not the type to stuff my individuality and give in to the masses, for internetsocial acceptance.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:33 pm

Stick around long enough and it'll get to the point where they won't let you change your avatar.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:34 pm

Heh. I still remember the cries of protest...
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:35 pm

lolwut?

You guys reply really fast.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:36 pm

well, as I said before, I actually have a phobia of clowns, and the avatar was supposed to help me get rid of it. and it wasn't working.

and besides, I am in NO way a conformist. Just ask anybody who has ever debated with me on Religion.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:38 pm

Speaking of creepy avatars, where's Jebus? Did he get banned again, or does he just hate us?
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:39 pm

well, as I said before, I actually have a phobia of clowns, and the avatar was supposed to help me get rid of it. and it wasn't working.

and besides, I am in NO way a conformist. Just ask anybody who has ever debated with me on Religion.
So, you actually had a real, genuine reason for having your avatar - and then threw it away because it hadn't yet had the affect you intended, but mostly because someonelse said they didn't like it?

Even if it doesn't seem to be having the effect, let your mind get used to it, used to looking at it and facing your fear, and maybe you'll gradually find that you feel your phobia less and less.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:40 pm

lol. not really creepy, just disturbing and confusing. (What IS that red thing?)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:02 pm

The fact that he'd change that uniqueness, his personal choice, to look better in someone else's eye isn't something I'd admire. Though, mostly because I'm not the type to stuff my individuality and give in to the masses, for internetsocial acceptance.
One person suggesting that perhaps the "face" you present leads to readings of your words that you didn't intend is "giving into the masses"? Actually, from a purely pragmatic standpoint, it's good sense to change it at that point. If you aren't having the effect you want, changing in order to achieve that effect is good communication. Especially if you don't even like the thing you put up.

*shrug* There's lots of ways to be individual. And hey, no judgement in this, but if you don't want to be part of the "internetsocial" life here, that's your loss.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:25 pm

One person suggesting that perhaps the "face" you present leads to readings of your words that you didn't intend is "giving into the masses"? Actually, from a purely pragmatic standpoint, it's good sense to change it at that point. If you aren't having the effect you want, changing in order to achieve that effect is good communication. Especially if you don't even like the thing you put up.

*shrug* There's lots of ways to be individual. And hey, no judgement in this, but if you don't want to be part of the "internetsocial" life here, that's your loss.
I disagree. I don't think any bias should be any factor, but the actual words themselves should be considered.
Especially if the bias can't be justified.

Also, at the point I was talking about myself, not really the situation.

And again, I wasn't talking in particular about the community. More about my nature in general. I don't actually not want to be apart of here, but at the same time it's not the opposite way.
However, if someone told me that they'd look at my words differently because of my own personal expression, I wouldn't care one bit. (That's like looking at someone speaking sense[not saying I speak sense though], and saying you aren't gonna even listen to him because his image isn't pleasing to your eyes. His image and his words are completely unrelated.)
Especially since avis and siggies are the main way people express their individuality or whatever they want to express.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:53 pm

Actually now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I adblocked someone's avatar and a stupid zeppelin sig awhile back because they were annoying. I'm guessing that was you since you don't appear to have one yet we're having this conversation.
The enemy's fly is down.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:56 pm

Image and words are NOT unrelated. They go together in a very automatic and natural way. Trying to keep the image from affecting how you read the words takes an incredible amount of mental effort, if it can be done at all. Particularly for new members, when we don't have any context other than their words and avatar. Because seeing that image while reading the words is just an automatic process. We see the image before the words soak in. Also, the areas of the brain the images and the words are going to have very different functions. The image gets precedence. And, since in the case of the clown it's an ambiguous image associated with creepiness, it's going to set the amygdala (flight/fight/freeze center) on alert, because that's the amygdala's job. It's the fastest and most primal part of the brain. So, such an image is going to make things seem negative, unless we have enough positive experience with the poster to override it. That's just how the human brain works. The printed words are going to the rational part of the brain, which does not have nearly the weight with the emotional systems as that primal part does.

We can override it, but it takes motivation, context, and competing positive experiences to do so.

(For example, I find your avatar seriously disgusting, CezeN. But it doesn't affect my reading of your posts nearly to the degree it would if you hadn't posted here a while before adopting it. Because, if it were my first experience with you, my brain wouldn't have a "CezeN" shortcut it could go to when trying to figure out who the voice is behind the words, and would only have the avatar's clues.)

There is literally a TON of literature about how appearances affect people's judgement in real life. Appearance has an effect. If you want to challenge that it doesn't, I will literally bury you in citations. It's natural that our built-in gift for trying to figure people out via mental shortcuts is going to apply to internet avatars as well.

Should people work this way? I don't know. What I know is that they do work this way.

Should that cause other people to change their behavior? It depends on what their goals are. If CrazyTom's goals are to get us to like him and be part of the community, then, yes, changing the avatar to something less creepy is probably a smart move. If the goal is to stand out as an individual and keep everyone else on edge, then it probably doesn't make a lot of sense.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:06 pm

^^^okay.
Actually now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I adblocked someone's avatar and a stupid zeppelin sig awhile back because they were annoying. I'm guessing that was you since you don't appear to have one yet we're having this conversation.
Yes =D
Not stupid if you know Pendragon though...

Return to “Milagre Town Square”