OMG! die Hitlerjungend ist Obama stay in school!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
User avatar
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 3040
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:07 pm
Contact:

Postby locke » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:56 am

Bob, even I am amazed that a president telling kids to stay in school and work hard is a leftist plot and that conservatives are telling their kids to not go to school. I never knew that Ronald Reagan was indoctrinating kids to be like the Hitler Youth when he told them to stay in school and work hard.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

User avatar
Mich
Commander
Commander
Posts: 2937
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:58 am
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002
Location: Land o' Ports
Contact:

Postby Mich » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:40 pm

locke wrote:Bob, even I am amazed that a president telling kids to stay in school and work hard is a leftist plot and that conservatives are telling their kids to not go to school. I never knew that Ronald Reagan was indoctrinating kids to be like the Hitler Youth when he told them to stay in school and work hard.

[citation needed?]
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

User avatar
starlooker
Commander
Commander
Posts: 3823
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:19 pm
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002
Location: Home. With cats who have names.
Contact:

Postby starlooker » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:34 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/04/obama.schools/index.html

Seriously. Complaining about the President of the United States giving one quick start of the year pep talk encouraging youth to stay in school and work hard is like...

Metaphors fail me. Crap.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

User avatar
Mich
Commander
Commander
Posts: 2937
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:58 am
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002
Location: Land o' Ports
Contact:

Postby Mich » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:59 pm

According to my (mostly) conservative-sympathetic roommate, "people" are more worried about some phrasing in the summary of what the speech will be about, mostly concerning (and this is a paraphrase) "encouraging students, teachers, parents, and peers to help everyone to be the best that they can be," which they think is a sneaky way of introducing a new program like No Child Left Behind that doesn't have a blatant label on it. Of course, she and I both think that's jumping the gun a bit. After all, don't suspect malice where ignorance could be substituted.

So that might shed SOME light on the situation.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

User avatar
Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2215
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:59 pm
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:12 pm

The problem a lot of people had with it was that the lesson plan the White House released assigned students the task of drafting letters explaining what they can do to "help the President."

I'd hardly call that simply encouraging students to do their best.

ETA: You know, at this point, I'm not really surprised you guys are ignoring the original and instead focusing on the revised version (which hasn't really sparked much controversy), all the while applying the controversy stemming from the original version to the new one in a blatant effort to make conservatives sound like clowns. Good work, team.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

User avatar
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 3040
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:07 pm
Contact:

Postby locke » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:27 pm

well lately conservatives have been clowns.

and really, writing letters to the president, 'what I can do to help' That's s*** that I've done for years in social studies programs. Sometimes to the president, sometimes to the governor, or the local representative. We had Roy Blunt come and talk to our fifth grade class. He proposed us a scenario where we denizens of St. Louis and we could vote whether or not to raise our own taxes to build a stadium for the St. Louis Rams. Being part of the most conservative part of Missouri (and after hearing him describe tax hikes as onerous, evil and never having merit) all but two of us voted against taxes (the two being the two biggest, craziest about sports guys in the class). He then told us we were stupid and that our city would fail and we'd lose all this other stuff because of the lost revenue from not having built the rams stadium. That spending money was the only way to avoid losing money. We then got mad at him and asked why he didn't tell us that when he proposed the scenario in the first place, and he told us, 'well you didn't ask about that.' It was an incredibly enlightening lesson in civics (the lesson being politicians will happily be dishonest to your face and then tell you they thought the dishonesty was a pretty good joke because it made them look smart). And I think he came to our class because we wrote letters about what we kids could do to help. I doubt he ever read any of them, but its certainly not an unheard of part of elementary social studies curricula.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

User avatar
Mich
Commander
Commander
Posts: 2937
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:58 am
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002
Location: Land o' Ports
Contact:

Postby Mich » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:54 pm

Also, I didn't know there was a "revised" version, as I could only find articles like the one that Starlooker posted.

Malice, ignorance? This is really a useful rule to follow. Not that I'm saying it's just you who might make mistakes like that, Syphon. :D
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

User avatar
Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:48 am
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:06 pm

Look, I'd personally find the idea of the Queen or Prime Minister doing an tv address to schools creepy as f***, but then I get that feeling a lot with the American Presidency and it's not like Presidents haven’t done this before.

The full section originally was:

"Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president. These would be collected and redistributed at an appropriate later date by the teacher to make students accountable to their goals."


Now from that it feels like it's a riff off the content of the speech (which remember no-one has seen and has any reason to imagine isn't exactly what they say it is) that the combination of weird education language (not uncommon) and weird presidential language (not uncommon) took to an unfortunate place. However, this was buried in the supplementary materials, not the 'LESSON PLAN THAT MUST BE FOLLOWED BY ORDERS OF THE LEADER' and when called on it, they clarified it to something that makes sense independent of the speech (What I suspect happened is that whoever wrote it didn't think through it'd be available prior and would be the only information available). So yes, a clarifythisplease seems perfectly reasonable, but what actually happened was:

"As the father of four children, I am absolutely appalled that taxpayer dollars are being used to spread President Obama's socialist ideology. The idea that school children across our nation will be forced to watch the President justify his plans for government-run health care, banks, and automobile companies, increasing taxes on those who create jobs, and racking up more debt than any other President, is not only infuriating, but goes against beliefs of the majority of Americans, while bypassing American parents through an invasive abuse of power."


So yeah, clown time. Except because it fits in nicely with the constant stream of nonsense that's meant to delegitimise Obama as president, it's really not that funny.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

User avatar
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 4443
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:49 pm
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000
Location: Albany, NY

Postby Luet » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:08 pm

Do you think we could split this off of Bob and into a separate topic?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

User avatar
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 3040
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:07 pm
Contact:

Postby locke » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:37 pm

my thoughts exactly nomi. :-p
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

User avatar
Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2215
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:59 pm
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:04 pm

Mich, the article starlooker posted specifically mentions it was revised. From the posted article:

Some of the controversy surrounding Obama's speech stems from a proposed lesson plan created by the Education Department to accompany the address. An initial version of the plan recommended that students draft letters to themselves discussing "what they can do to help the president."

So, it's kind of hard to simply suspect ignorance when the links posted include that little fact. And I generally try to assume that somebody isn't going to discuss something without actually knowing anything about it, especially if they're going to take a particularly strong position on it.

Adam, if the conservatives have been such clowns, why resort to lying about them to prove your point? That really doesn't follow. (It's also nice to see you include the lie in the title after being called out on it.)

Conservatives were flustered because the proposed lesson plan sent out to all school district, which teachers are likely to follow, instructed the children to write a letter explaining how to help President Obama, while the White House itself hadn't released any kind of information regarding what the contents of the speech would be. Add that to the fact that it's the day before he speaks to both chambers about health care reform, it doesn't sound all that innocuous.

That's not to say that some of the responses haven't been overblown. While the White House should have informed people what the speech content was way earlier, the immediate flooding of the school's phone line demanding they not air the speech was pretty silly. They should have just sought information regarding the speech's content. However, I also understand where they're coming from. Obama gave (barely) two weeks notice that he was giving the speech. The materials he released sounded fishy and he hadn't released information concerning the speech's content. The day after this speech he's supposed to speak to Congress about health care. So while the reaction was certainly overblown, it wasn't entirely unjustified, given the awfully high number of coincidences surrounding the speech. (And I thought liberals loved coincidence-inspired theories; after all, 61 percent of Democrats either believed (35%) or weren't sure (26%) that the September 11th attacks occurred with Bush's foreknowledge.)
And let's not forget that when George H.W. Bush talked to students about the need to learn math and science, the left was outraged. Dick Gephardt, who was House Majority Leader and from your old stomping grounds, called his speech "paid political advertising," despite the fact that Bush didn't include political messages in his speech. Nice to see that you folks still haven't knocked down that double-standard you have regarding pretty much any issue.

ETA: Fixed a typo Yebra pointed out; I will respond when I've got some free time (Monday or Tuesday, most likely).
Last edited by Syphon the Sun on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

User avatar
Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:48 am
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:07 pm

I've really lost what your point was.

It's unreasonable to be mean to these people because they had very valid reasons to be upset and speculate angrily and publicly about the evil things Obama was going to tell kids to do, except well maybe it wasn't so much valid as a vague string of coincidences, but you know, TRUTHERS, who are you liberals to judge huh huh??

Conservatives weren't flustered because the proposed lesson plan sent out to all school district, which teachers are likely to follow, instructed the children to write a letter explaining how to help President Obama, while the White House itself hadn't released any kind of information regarding what the contents of the speech would be.


Aside the fact that sentence doesn't actually make sense (were not weren't?), the White House hadn't released any information on the content of the speech? This letter to principals on the 26th August said "During this special address, the president will speak directly to the nation's children and youth about persisting and succeeding in school. The president will challenge students to work hard, set educational goals, and take responsibility for their learning." That doesn't seem unclear at all on what the contents of the speech would be and it was right there at the beginning.

The weird thing about drawing equivalents between crazy on the left and right is that yeah, no monopolies anywhere - but it's much harder to find truthers in positions of power whereas you can find Republican congressman questioning Obama's citizenship fairly easy (the conspiracy theorists on Clinton murdering Vince Foster got a congressional investigation for Pete's sake) whereas officials on the left can't even be seen in the same room as the crazy as we're seeing with Van Jones. Crazy is no where near as institutional or coyly encouraged from above on the left.

Also, who the hell is lying? I've seen this called "indoctrination", "brainwashing" and drawing comparisons to Mao and yes, the Hitler youth - from what were incredibly mild triggers. Gephardt may have spoken out (AFTER the speech was actually given mind) but he called it an abuse of funds, not indoctrination. The difference in the scale and tone of accusations is huge.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1286
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:20 pm
Title: Farmer from Hell
Location: Colbert Washington

Postby buckshot » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:42 pm

I expect (fearless leader) gets a big ego boost from this speech that has yet to be given. :wink:

Kaninchen
Launchie
Launchie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:01 am

Postby Kaninchen » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:13 am

The problem with American politics in the last few years, is that both sides recourse immedietly to hyperbole and fearmongering. Bush curtailing due process to create Guantanomo and the Patriot Act's abridgment of individual rights, when filtered through the lens of political discourse becomes "We are moments away from living in a police state!" Obama becomes a socialist who wants to take away our guns, and both sides shout shrilly across a widening divide. This is a trend mirrored, and perhaps exacerbated by TV punditry.


P.S. I'm pretty sure that the title should read, Die Hitlerjungend sind Obama... since youth is in this case plural, but i'm not 100% on that. But even that wouldn't be a gramatical sentance. I think the meaning would be conveyed by Nachdem Obama "Stay in School" gesagt hätte, wäre die Jugend Hitlerjugend gewesen. (After Obama will have said "stay in school", the youth will become hitler youth.)

Kaninchen
Launchie
Launchie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:01 am

Postby Kaninchen » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:52 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/p ... speech.pdf

The part where he explains exploitation using Marx's concept of surplus value might be pushing it.

User avatar
Mich
Commander
Commander
Posts: 2937
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:58 am
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002
Location: Land o' Ports
Contact:

Postby Mich » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:42 am

I don't know, the part where he pretty much was telling the kids to fail just seemed like so much leftist propaganda! I don't want my kids to fail at things, I want them to succeed! Is he trying to make this generation a whole bunch of loser failures?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

User avatar
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 3040
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:07 pm
Contact:

Postby locke » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:23 am

Kaninchen wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/06_09_09_obama_speech.pdf

The part where he explains exploitation using Marx's concept of surplus value might be pushing it.


I thought the part where he referred to Engels theories on the origins of the family (based on studies of polyandrous native culture in Hawaii and the Philippines, which is suspicious considering where Obama comes from) as the reason we are subject to a heritage of patrilineal private property--which must be overthrown--to be a sort of shocker.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

User avatar
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 3040
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:07 pm
Contact:

Postby locke » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:04 pm

Yebra wrote:
Also, who the hell is lying? I've seen this called "indoctrination", "brainwashing" and drawing comparisons to Mao and yes, the Hitler youth - from what were incredibly mild triggers. Gephardt may have spoken out (AFTER the speech was actually given mind) but he called it an abuse of funds, not indoctrination. The difference in the scale and tone of accusations is huge.


I agree with your response Yeb, and I'll add a comment from a very conservative friend who I respect quite a lot:

Whether Democrats said hysterical things about Pres. Bush is irrelevant to Republicans saying hysterical things about Pres. Obama now. Even if they were equivalent one action does not justify the other.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1286
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:20 pm
Title: Farmer from Hell
Location: Colbert Washington

Obama?

Postby buckshot » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:55 pm

I for one am getting damn nervous with our present leader. He was a great campaign tactician but I fear he comes up short as a president! :|

User avatar
Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 2517
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:11 pm
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002
Location: Evansville, IN
Contact:

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:39 pm

Now that the ZOMG speech is behind us, what inane thing are the crazies (on both ends, mind you) going to rant and rave about next?
The enemy's fly is down.
Image

User avatar
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 3040
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:07 pm
Contact:

Postby locke » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:52 pm

I'm fairly certain the OMG staying in school is socialism! hysteria was more or less a breathing spell so now that they've caught their breaths they can resume the full volume hissy fit of shrieking and caterwauling about OMG healthcare is socialism! ;)
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1286
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:20 pm
Title: Farmer from Hell
Location: Colbert Washington

Tonight's speech

Postby buckshot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:18 pm

I just deleted the long reply I typed while watching Mr. President on PBS tonight.I don't think PWEB is the place for me to weigh in on American politics. But DAMN I just can't stop gagging every time I see Pelosi over the presidents shoulder. :wink:

User avatar
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Posts: 7839
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:32 pm
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:36 pm

While I understand if you don't feel like sharing because you're uninterested in starting arguments or being attacked, it would be nice to hear a different side for a change. It'd be even nicer if you did it without becoming condescending, which is something I've seen from both sides.

(Not to imply that you were being condescending.)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1286
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:20 pm
Title: Farmer from Hell
Location: Colbert Washington

Postby buckshot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:01 pm

It's too hard to talk politics at least for me, there is always someone (sometimes more than one) so shure everyone else is wrong ,that it takes all the joy out of debating over.
PS.I'm shure we would get along fine of course :)

User avatar
lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 540
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:46 pm
Title: Darn Red Shells!
Location: Texas
Contact:

Postby lyons24000 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:00 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adiLJxayfg8

This goes perfect considering the topic title
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

User avatar
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 3040
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:07 pm
Contact:

Postby locke » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:56 am

lyons24000 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adiLJxayfg8

This goes perfect considering the topic title


That is hands down the best misuse of Downfall I've ever seen. Absolutely brilliant.

"everyone who voted for Obama leave the room now" *three people remain*

"with all due respect education is important"
"IT UNDERMINES EVERYTHING WE DO!"

"WHEN THEY LEARN TO THINK ON THEIR OWN THEY WON'T CASUALLY ACCEPT EVERY MESSAGE OF FEAR AND HATE WE TELL THEM!"

'He'll look intelligent and presidential. He'll make being smart cool... an enlightened population of critical thinkers to question us."

and of course there's the phenomenal and perfect closing line, which I won't spoil. but so brilliant. :)

And on a related note, captain of the death panel cheerleading squad continued to perpetuate her bald-faced lies and insane inventions of propagandistic paranoia today, the bitch. Now, thanks to her lying, we can't expect doctors to have a brief chat with elderly medicare patients about power of attorney and DNRs for example, because captain death panel cheerleader thinks talking about a DNR or who has the power to make medical decisions if you were to fall into a coma is the same as government mandated killing squads. Stupidity sometimes knows no bounds.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

User avatar
Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 2517
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:11 pm
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002
Location: Evansville, IN
Contact:

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:46 pm

Image
The enemy's fly is down.
Image

User avatar
Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 892
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:09 pm
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:55 pm

lyons24000 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adiLJxayfg8

This goes perfect considering the topic title


Bah. Bachmann. How the hell did she get reelected? Stupid rich white people in the northern suburbs...
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe

User avatar
chromesthesia
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:22 pm

Postby chromesthesia » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:54 pm

HA! Hilarious!

Dr. Mobius wrote:Image


Return to “Milagre Town Square”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 2 guests