A Day in the Life of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

A Day in the Life of a 20-something mother

Postby steph » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:03 am

Holy crap!! The kids slept in 'til 8:20! They NEVER do that!

Brian gets home from work at 6am, so he's still sleeping.

Brayden's ready to get up!

Tyler's waiting, too!

Yummy breakfast of Chocolate Panettone (Italian Christmas bread).

View from my back porch of Long's Peak. It's our closest 14er and it's 14,259 feet in elevation. Yes, I have climbed all the way to the top before. (Sorry about the light pole in the way. I didn't want to put my shoes on to go all the way outside for a picture, so this is what you get!)

Lurk!

Time to get dressed!

Hurry and get in the car! We don't want to be late.

Our rec center, where Tyler participates in gymnastics and swimming lessons.

Tumbling Tyler!! It was observation week this week, so Grandma came to watch.

Grandma loves this store, so we stop by after gymnastics. We can get cheap groceries here.

Cheese! The boys love snacks.

Our weekly library trip.

Home for lunch. Daddy woke up just in time!

Working on hand training our parakeet, Guybrush.

Time for a nap!

Tyler usually gets to watch a movie during Brayden's nap. That way, Mom can either get something done, or take a nap herself. (I did both today.)

We need bread so we can make sandwiches for our hike at Devil's Backbone with Grandma tomorrow.

Check on the garden. It's growing well with our June daily afternoon thunderstorms. We have zucchini, onions, cubanelle peppers, basil and tomatoes.

The daily question: What the heck should we have for dinner?

Put on some music for cooking. (Playing Adam Pascal's first album, Model Prisoner.)

Tyler wanted hot dogs, so I'm making BBQ beans and hot dogs. I sautéed a mir poix (that we had previously chopped and frozen in bulk from fresh vegetables) with the hot dogs. I added canned beans and some barbecue sauce. It's fast, easy and delicious.

The finished food, along with the homemade cornbread I baked.

What a mess!!! It's time to clean up. Everything looks much better when we're done!

The bread is done. (Yes, I used a bread maker. It saves me a TON of time.)

The 3 boys were taking a shower before bed, and I noticed that something is leaking. NOT GOOD. We'll have to inspect it more tomorrow after it dries out to see what's causing it. I hope it doesn't cost too much to repair.

Bed time. The boys love their blankets and love cuddling with daddy, too!

After the kids go to bed and Brian leaves for work, I get to work, too. Tonight I dipped necklaces for woman who owns a boutique in Georgia. She ordered 25 necklace to sell in her store!!! I hope they sell well, because I like having extra cash on hand!

I've been looking forward to this all week! I watched Chess in Concert with Josh Groban, Idina Menzel and Adam Pascal while I worked on necklaces. It was AMAZING! And it made me feel somewhat better about not getting to meet Adam last week when he was in town, because it's just another piece in the collection so that I can watch/listen to him any time I want!!

Now, it's time for bed so I can have the energy to keep up with the boys!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:29 am

I stopped paying attention near the end there because all I could think about was fresh-baked, home made bread.

Where did our breadmaker get to?

Also, Guybrush has the coolest name. Has anyone told you that before? Because it's true. And this is from a guy who has owned a rat named Navi.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:40 am

I'd love to see more of that wall behind Brayden's crib and Tyler looks so darn happy to be up. Steph, you really are a wonderful mom to those boys.

And that view...it's strange to me that you see that every single day.

*coughpostmorecough*

I loved this. And you! :mrgreen:
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:47 am

mmm. I just finished reading Omnivore's Delimma (such a GREAT book) and in the end he's baking his own sourdough bread. That combined with steph's bread magicness makes me want to make bread again, for the first time in like four years.

And it occured to me, I'm probably going to have a house warming a week after I move in. What better way to warm the house than to make sourdough bread with wild yeast started at the first day of moving into my new apartment, my first place that is my own.

It feels all symbolic and right. :D

Thanks steph, wonderful pictures and looks like you had a most excellent day.

And star wars underroos for the win! (how did Alea not comment on these?)
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Eskarina
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Eskarina » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:17 am

Wow, Steph, these are... awesome. And whole your family looks so lot comfortable in where they are and with each other and I just gotta admire that a lot. Gives out that fuzzy feel, well, to me at least.

Teehe. 8:20 doesn't seem that 'much' of time. Kinda got me a question, though: till what hour do they sleep *usually* if this'd be an exception?

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:25 am

Thanks for all the comments, guys. You're all welcome to come over for bread anytime!

Mich, we thought long and hard for the perfect name for our bird. Guybrush was the clear winner!!! His whole name is "Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Parrot."

Alea, I'll take a picture of the wall for you. It's not done yet, though, and I don't know when the girl that's painting it is going to come finish. (It might be awhile, unfortunately.) So you'll just have to have a part way finished view for awhile. (And how DID you miss Tyler's star wars underwear? hehe)

Adam, can I come to your house warming party? ;)

Eskarina, the kids are normally up between 6:30 and 7:30. If I didn't have blackout over their window, they would wake up at 5:30, easily! 8:20 was a nice treat!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Re: A Day in the Life of a 20-something mother

Postby Petra456 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:41 am

I've been looking forward to this all week! I watched Chess in Concert with Josh Groban, Idina Menzel and Adam Pascal while I worked on necklaces. It was AMAZING! And it made me feel somewhat better about not getting to meet Adam last week when he was in town, because it's just another piece in the collection so that I can watch/listen to him any time I want!!
Are you kidding! I would kill to see all three of them in Chess, I can't believe it was on tv!

RENT is in Seattle right now, with Adam and Anthony and I can't go.

*pouts*

Also, your kids are adorable!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re: A Day in the Life of a 20-something mother

Postby steph » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:22 pm

Are you kidding! I would kill to see all three of them in Chess, I can't believe it was on tv!

RENT is in Seattle right now, with Adam and Anthony and I can't go.

*pouts*

Also, your kids are adorable!
Check your PBS listings to see if it's showing again. It was amazing. If it's not on again, see about getting the DVD. (It's on sale today, I think.)

Also, do everything possible to go see RENT with Adam and Anthony. Call in sick tomorrow and rush if you have to. You won't regret it. I made Brian rush with me last week, so we sat front row. I was completely blown away. You HAVE to get there!!!!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:29 pm

I noticed the Star Wars underwear right away!

So cute.

I'm so excited to see your day.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:34 pm

I noticed; I do, however, refuse to explain in this lovely thread why I didn't mention as much. But since you all mentioned them, they are awesome and truly, I'm a little jealous.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:56 pm

Also, it's awesome that your bird's name is Guybrush. Is his full name Guybrush Threepwood?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

eggbalancer
Launchie
Launchie

Postby eggbalancer » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:55 pm

I've been a slacker and not been on for awhile. (I'm Steph's husband, for any who are unaware or have forgotten me!) I must say it is fun to see a day in my wife's life, with me and our boys throughout! You forget how blessed you are sometimes until you see someone else looking in at your life. You are all so observant, noticing everything from the pirate mural to Tyler's classic Star Wars 'roos. And Mich, I'm glad you appreciate Guybrush's name. Most of our friends are like, "Huh? O....K.....?"

And Rent was awesome! I had never sat in the front row for anything!
"I probably wouldn't pillage someone for just their wallet."

Eskarina
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Eskarina » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:58 am

Steph, thanks for clarification. Early birds, are the kids? /smiles/

Eggbalancer, well, since seeing you the first time, nice to meet you and welcome and all those things. Glad you've enjoyed Rent. Haven't seen it yet, but you both with Steph sound so excited one would be almost like 'O_o... Okay, that must be sort of superb, how come I missed it.'
We should have no regrets. ... The past is finished. There is nothing to be gained by going over it. Whatever it gave us in the experiences it brought us was something we had to know.
- Rebecca Beard

Return to “Milagre Town Square”