A Day in the Life of Luet

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:51 pm

When you posted, I totally forgot to say that you went to the ICONIC American elementary school. Seriously, it looks JUST like the ones in the movies! Did they ever film any there?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:45 pm

Not that I know of. Although, right up the street from me is The Van Alen House which was used in the filming of The Age of Innocence.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:55 pm

Huh. I almost want to watch that movie again to look for it. Almost but not quite. That movie left a bad taste in my mouth and it is the rare movie -especially of that genre- that I have that sort of reaction to. I figured this out after I bought it, too.

However, you get cool, movie trivia points for living near it.

Paul
Soldier
Soldier
Title: sparkie_adams

Postby Paul » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:38 pm

Oh my god. That must be a different kind of snapping turtle than we have here in Missouri. Once time my dad and I stopped to get one out of the road. It was probably about 10 inches around. One of us started to push it from the back with our foot. The d*mn thing jumped up (it almost got some serious air time) off its front feet and almost got ahold of the foot that was going to push it. Both of us nearly jumped out of our skin. There is NO way we could have picked it up without getting bit. Instead of pushing it, we decided to let it grab something we had in the car and drag it off the road. Then it took another 5 minutes to get it to let go of what we used to drag it. God, that thing was scary.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:53 pm

I think some must be more aggressive than others. That one that I picked up didn't have a very long reach with it's neck. It half-heartedly tried to reach around and bite me but it was definitely manageable. I picked it up by the back of it's shell; one hand on each side between the back legs and the tail.

However, this past summer I tried to rescue another one about the same size and it was VERY aggressive. As I approached it, it jumped in the air 180* and lunged at me. That one I did not try to pick up. I used the wooden sticks that I now carry in my trunk for nudging turtles off of the road.

I do know that the turtle in the picture was definitely a snapping turtle, though, because snappers are the only turtles in my area that get larger than 10".
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Paul
Soldier
Soldier
Title: sparkie_adams

Postby Paul » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:02 pm

Yea, this one did the whole 180 degree spin thing. Alligator Snapping Turtles are crazy agressive. Scared the sh*t out of me.

On a side note, you have a special stick for pushing turtles out of the road? How awesome. But do u really see enough of them to require a special tool?

Lol, reminds me of when I was a kid. We live near a lake that box turtles like. Several times we would be walking down the gravel road near the dam and find several (one year, we found about 5) babies crossing. They were SOOOO cute. Each one's shell was a little less than an inch in diameter. While this sounds dangerous, the road isnt used very much, and out of the 20 or so babies we found, we only found a couple that were run over.

We woud always keep them for a couple days (feeding them lettuce) then let them go. Fun times.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:02 pm

I save about 4 a spring/summer on average and probably see another couple that I was too late to save. Usually about half snappers and half painted turtles. I got sick of trying to rescue the snappers with whatever I had in the trunk of my car. One time I was not having much success and I guy pulled over to help and used a 2x4 like a hockey stick and flicked the giant snapper out of the road. That's when I decided to buy a couple pieces of wood. They are kind of like unfinished wood fence posts. I have two of them in my trunk so I can gently "guide" the snappers off the road. Painted are much easier. The worst thing that usually happens is getting peed on. :)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”