Philotic Twining

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Philotic Twining

Postby ^Peter » Tue May 05, 2009 9:01 pm

When I first read about Philotic Twining in Enderverse, I thougt, "wow, what a cool idea". But thinking about it now, I realize lots of other fictions support the idea of p twining as well.

For example:

From Star Wars, the Force can be recognized as the ability to use your emotions to manipulate the philotes and auias around you. This explains why Jedi or Sith tend to be more powerful when they are more passionate. And why Jedi bodies fade away when they die; it's the auias of their bodies dissapparating after the central auia has left.

From Pokemon, some Pokemon evolve when they have a close bond to their trainer. This explains why their body undergoes such drastic changes; it's the will of the Pokemon's auia calling new, stronger ones, fueled by the bond between monster and trainer.

As you can see, this thread is quite random, so share any speculation no matter how far-fethec. I sure have. :shock:

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Fri May 08, 2009 6:10 pm

Wow. I never though of that that way. Of course, I hardly watch Star Wars, and Pokemon is lame. And I thought OSC was a genius for coming up with that.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Fri May 08, 2009 8:56 pm

jeesh_girl, you kill me with your lack of taste :roll: .

Okay then, howabout [Potter 6 & 7 Spoilers:] Horcruxes? When you kill another person, the auia can't stand the feeling of wiping out another auia, making it weaker and able to be torn apart. The auia is then focused upon other objects besides the auia's original body, which gives the auia more then one anchor to the universe, with a big downside as seen by Ender and even Voldemort?

Huh? Huh? Have you read Harry Potter?

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat May 09, 2009 12:40 pm

Hate to burst your bubble, but I've read all the Harry Potter Books at least ten times each. I could quote each book of my favorite sayings.
Last edited by Jeesh_girl15 on Sat May 09, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat May 09, 2009 1:33 pm

Horcruxes? When you kill another person, the auia can't stand the feeling of wiping out another auia, making it weaker and able to be torn apart. The auia is then focused upon other objects besides the auia's original body, which gives the auia more then one anchor to the universe, with a big downside as seen by Ender and even Voldemort?
Something else to think about:But how does the auia know which object it's supposed to go in? I mean it's not coincidence that Voldemort's soul/auia got into those objects (especially Harry). Does the auia know which object to go in? Does it think on it's own without being connected to Voldemort except Philotically? Are philotic webs really that strong?

I'll give you something to ponder, Mister. Who are you to judge my taste?

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Sat May 09, 2009 1:47 pm

touché, but the answer is: it doesn't (obviously!). You answered your own question, Jeesh. And of course pwebs (and that's pwebs, with one syllable :wink: ) are strong, they just have their limit of how far they can stretch. Also, auias probably do not have universal strength. I doubt all auias are capable of controling the Mother Trees, ansible networks, plus a human body like Jane can.

Why is ther only one person replying to my thread?
(no offense jeesh_girl, your thoughts are appreciated :) )

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:51 pm

:DI find myself liking you. I really hate that. :?

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:29 pm

The concept of emotional bonds manifesting physically isn't new, but philotic twining, at least to this physics nerd sounds like OSC ran away with a romantic envisioning of the phenomenon of quantum entanglment. I don't know a hell of a lot about it, and I'm not sure anyone does, but QE only manifests between two particles that were created in the same event, so without getting into wild mass guessing about the connection between the soul and the quantum state of particles in the mind, there's only the barest sliver of physical truth behind this.

On the other had, QE works over unlimited distance, so in a way it's more powerful than twining.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

WigginWannabe
Launchie
Launchie

Distance

Postby WigginWannabe » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:07 pm

Where does it say that philotic twining is affected by distance? The hive queens are philotically intertwined with their drones, and they can communicate/control them over infinite distances. Ender and Valentine are philotically twined, and even though it got weaker with their other attachments, the twining was existent even when Ender left for Lusitania.
Be the shoe.

- Bean, "Ender's Shadow"

TheGateISdown
Launchie
Launchie

Postby TheGateISdown » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:45 pm

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:55 pm

hehehe ^_^ hold your horses: quantum entaglement, while it truly is a "faster than light" interaction, it cannot be used to transmit information "faster than light". If you try to measure the spin state of one of the entagled particles, you will make its quantum nature (the wavefunction) to collapse, destroying the entaglement.

LiQingJao
Launchie
Launchie

Re: Distance

Postby LiQingJao » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:36 pm

Where does it say that philotic twining is affected by distance? The hive queens are philotically intertwined with their drones, and they can communicate/control them over infinite distances. Ender and Valentine are philotically twined, and even though it got weaker with their other attachments, the twining was existent even when Ender left for Lusitania.
It doesn't say that twining is affected by distance. In fact, in Xenocide, the first conversation between Miro and Val speaks extensively on the subject of philotic twining. The ansible works as far as they have ever tested it with no known time lags, and the ansible is made possible by philotic twining. It does say that the smaller the particles that are broken apart are, the longer it takes for their connection to break, but it does not mention that distance affects philotes. In fact, it blatantly states on pg. 61 that you can carry the two parts of a meson as far apart as you want, and they will still be connected by the twines. It also says that the connection is instantaneous, that it takes no time at all for movement on one end to be transmitted to the other, "even if the two fragments are carried lightyears away from each other."
“For as the eyes of bats are to the blaze of day, so is the reason in our soul to the things which are by nature most evident of all”
--Aristotle

Return to “Milagre Town Square”