How's Fishing?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Re: How's Fishing?

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:56 pm

Um, yeah, I don't know anything. Spin fishing and both live bait and lures. Walking along the bank and/or standing on the shore.
That's my favorite way to do it! I usually just stick to lures though.

I have only used a button push rod before and the one I bought (Shakespeare Ugly Stik, on the recommendation of a friend), is not a button push. So, I don't even know how to cast it yet.

I know how to get a hook out of the mouth of little fish but I've never caught/released anything bigger than 4-5".
With scaly fish that's all you really need to know. With trout you have to make sure you have your hands wet, or you'll take their protective slime off their skin and kill them anyway. And of course it's best to release them in the water if you can - the longer they're out of the water, the more likely they are to go into shock.
And no, I don't know how to kill/gut anything yet, though I want to learn how.
That's something you probably have to see/get hands on experience with before you try it yourself!
How to tie with the right number of swivels? I don't even know what that means. :lol:
Well you have to put a swivel in between the line and your lure, or the line will get twisted up - some lures are actually design to spin around in the water as you reel them in, and for those you actually want two swivels, or your line will get twisted up anyway.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:23 pm

How to tie with the right number of swivels? I don't even know what that means. :lol:
Well you have to put a swivel in between the line and your lure, or the line will get twisted up - some lures are actually design to spin around in the water as you reel them in, and for those you actually want two swivels, or your line will get twisted up anyway.[/quote]

Thanks so much for the advice and video. Are these the swivels you speak of?

Also, any ideas what to use for practice casting in the yard? As far as what to tie on to the end? Thanks!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:24 pm

My first fishing rod was a push button reel shaped like a killer whale. It was pretty dang awesome.

As for casting in the yard, I would just put a few weights on the end of your line.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Yeah, as long as you have a sinker on the line, you should be fine for practice casts.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:53 pm

When I got my fishing license at Walmart, the cashier seemed to think it was odd that I was getting one and my husband wasn't. I guess we were breaking the stereotypes or something. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:01 pm

Thanks so much for the advice and video. Are these the swivels you speak of?
Yeppers!
Yeah, as long as you have a sinker on the line, you should be fine for practice casts.
What he said. :)
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:53 pm

Luet' are you going fishing soon? When does the general fishing season open in NY?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:53 am

April 1 for most stuff, I think. And I don't know if I'm going soon. Depends if I get up the guts to go by myself! :)

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:38 am

If you want to come out to Washington i'll take you somewhere different everyday! Bring your man and stay in my huntin cabin.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:54 am

If you want to come out to Washington i'll take you somewhere different everyday! Bring your man and stay in my huntin cabin.
I want to come stay in your hunting cabin!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:19 pm

My Dad used to be HUGE into fishing. We would go down to the harbour all the time when I was a kid, and I have a lot of memories of fishing at the cottage. As a result, although I don't want to touch, eat, clean, or do anything involving a fish, I know how to cast (spinner), how to sharpen hooks (they're always dull out of the box), set the hook, can identify a number of freshwater species, and know how to string them on a line so they can swim along behind your canoe (don't paddle too fast or they'll drown and be less fresh for eating later). I can name a goodly number of lure types.

I do not, however, do anything involving live bait. I know the theory, and I know the smell of roe bags, but only involuntarily. I don't mind going along fishing, if someone else does all the fishy bits.

When I was a kid, though, there was NOTHING funnier than watching my dad bash the fish on the head after they were out of the water. The absolute HEIGHT of comedy. I was also fascinated by cleaning them. No idea what changed.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:27 pm

What I start singing every time this thread pops back up.

Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:16 pm

When I was a kid, though, there was NOTHING funnier than watching my dad bash the fish on the head after they were out of the water. The absolute HEIGHT of comedy.
I thought that was the bit where he animates the fishes mouth wish hand from inside after it's clean and tries to kiss you with it :P

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:03 pm

I want to come stay in your hunting cabin!
Steph let me know when youre coming.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”