Grammar Question

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Grammar Question

Postby Darth Petra » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:58 am

This has been bugging me for some time.

Does anybody know if you use a plural verb for a group of people? (like a band or something…)

If it ends in an “s” (Like the Beatles) the plural verb is used. (“The Beatles are a good band)

But what if it doesn’t end in an “S”? (Like Monty Python)

Which would be correct?

Monty Python is funny.
Monty Python are funny.

“Is” sounds better, but “are” makes more sense when you think about it….

I’m confuddled.
:?
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:11 am

You use the singular when speaking of a single group.

"Group" is actually a singular noun. A group. One single group. If you have MORE than one group, it becomes plural and would take the plural verb.

Although a group is composed of many individuals, you are combining them into one single unit.

In terms of band names, I do tend to use "are" if the band name is plural. As in "The Beatles are a band I never listen to."

[edited to fix typo]

[edited to add the following]

The Beatles are a band to which I never listen.

There.

In a grammar thread my above dangling preposition was making me twitch.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:20 am

You're talking about collective nouns. I was all set to post a long spiel about when to use each, but Grammar Girl has an article here that does a far better job than I would, I'm sure.

The basic answer: when the collective is operating as a group, you use a singular verb. When they are operating individually, you use a plural verb.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:18 am

*basks in warm, fuzzy feelings*

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:03 am

The rules change slightly when you're in England/UK. It's not uncommon to hear something like "Liverpool win!", where the apparently-singular noun is used as a collective (in this example, for the whole football team).
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:35 am

I have another grammar question: when do you use "who", and when do you use "whom"?
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:50 pm

'Who' is the nominative case, so generally it is the subject of the sentence. For all other situations (direct object, indirect object, genitive), you use 'whom'.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:00 pm

In terms of band names, I do tend to use "are" if the band name is plural. As in "The Beatles are a band I never listen to."

[edited to fix typo]

There.

To be honest, I'd be apt to say that the first form of the sentence is better English grammar than the latter. Yes, the latter sticks to the arbitrary rules assigned to English to try and make it be Latin with a different vocabulary, but in the process it makes the language deliberately pompous and obtuse. The primary purpose of language is to communicate and the role of grammar is to ensure that we can communicate clearly as a society.

[Edit]

If I recall correctly from one of my classes, there is some debate as to whether 'to listen to' constitutes a distinct verb from 'to listen'. If so, then the second 'to' is not so much a preposition as a necessary part of the verb.
Last edited by Rei on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:05 pm

[edited to fix typo]

There.

To be honest, I'd be apt to say that the first form of the sentence is better English grammar than the latter. Yes, the latter sticks to the arbitrary rules assigned to English to try and make it be Latin with a different vocabulary, but in the process it makes the language deliberately pompous and obtuse. The primary purpose of language is to communicate and the role of grammar is to ensure that we can communicate clearly as a society.
This is the argument I usually receive in favor of chat speak.

I now blame you for chat speak.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:11 pm

To be fair, chat speak, in a context where that is the primary mode of communication, could well be the grammar that is best used. That said, it is clearly not useful for communicating in most social settings and especially not in formal writing. Also, I might add that chat speak is by and large merely a change in orthography and that very few grammatical elements are actually changed with any significance.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:22 pm

I was depressed the day I realised how much chat speak has in common with medieval palaeography.

Then I decided they are equally obtuse. It may work well for those in the know, but it's still bloody irritating to outsiders.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:24 pm

I leave my prepositions dangling all the time in daily conversation. But in a thread about grammar, I thought it best (and certainly more amusing) to be technically correct. It's no hardship to me, as I know the rules of grammar particularly well.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:31 pm

you's all is talking two complicated like four me too be understanding right :?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:27 pm

It's because you're a common person, an average man, and you don't need anything other than the most basic English to get by.

This "grammar" talk is just for the advanced people, the ones who are going to be brain surgeons and such...the ones who are going to advance society. Go pay your bills and let the smart people talk.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:03 pm

[edited to fix typo]

There.

[Edit]

If I recall correctly from one of my classes, there is some debate as to whether 'to listen to' constitutes a distinct verb from 'to listen'. If so, then the second 'to' is not so much a preposition as a necessary part of the verb.
Or you could switch it to "I never listen to the Beatles." and avoid the awkward wording altogether.
The enemy's fly is down.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:31 am

That's usually what I do. When in doubt, just change the sentence into something that's definitely right.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:13 am

The basic answer: when the collective is operating as a group, you use a singular verb. When they are operating individually, you use a plural verb.
As much as I hear this and understand it, "Monty Python are funny" will never sound correct in my head (my opinion of their humor notwithstanding). I hate these constructs. Same with "data are"; I know it's the plural for datum, but who the hell uses the word datum? "Piece of data", c'mon.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:41 am

It's because you're a common person, an average man, and you don't need anything other than the most basic English to get by.

This "grammar" talk is just for the advanced people, the ones who are going to be brain surgeons and such...the ones who are going to advance society. Go pay your bills and let the smart people talk.
Don't listen to her. Sure, you're a common man, and what's wrong with that? It's the common man that sees through the pompous bluster of the intellectuals with his keen insight into a situation. What you have doesn't come from books, it doesn't come from a degree, it doesn't come from so-called "rational thinking", it comes from the heart. But the brain police take one look at the way you choose to present yourself and they think that has anything to do with who you are and what you are capable of. Makes me sick to my stomach. Me? I'd vote for you for president if I could, I swear to gum I would, that'd really stick it to the intellirati.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:06 am

As much as I hear this and understand it, "Monty Python are funny" will never sound correct in my head (my opinion of their humor notwithstanding). I hate these constructs. Same with "data are"; I know it's the plural for datum, but who the hell uses the word datum? "Piece of data", c'mon.
That's because "Monty Python are funny" will almost never be correct, because you're referring to the group as a whole, not the members of the group acting individually. Ninety-nine percent of the time, collective nouns should be accompanied by a singular verb.

Examples:
Smashing Pumpkins is breaking up.
Smashing Pumpkins are going their separate ways.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:53 am

[edited to fix typo]

There.

[Edit]

Or you could switch it to "I never listen to the Beatles." and avoid the awkward wording altogether.

Very true, but since the question was about the correct conjugation of the verb "to be" I thought it best to keep it in there.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:33 pm

That's because "Monty Python are funny" will almost never be correct, because you're referring to the group as a whole, not the members of the group acting individually.
Never "Monty Python are funny guys"? Or something.

In any case, I do hear the plural quite often in news articles involving large companies. It's irritating.

dgf hhw

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:50 pm

Never "Monty Python are funny guys"?
You're right; it would be correct. But I tend to think it sounds better that way than the ungrammatical "Monty Python is funny guys."

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:58 pm

Well, yeah, because I'm refusing to use it as a plural in general. It'd be more like "Monty Python is a bunch of funny guys", or group/troupe/etc.

dgf hhw

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:15 am

Well, yeah, because I'm refusing to use it as a plural in general. It'd be more like "Monty Python is a bunch of funny guys", or group/troupe/etc.
But then you're talking about them as a collective, again, so singular would be correct. ;)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:54 pm

That's exactly my point. Using it any other way sounds wrong. I can't imagine using a group as anything but a singular collective.

dgf hhw

Return to “Milagre Town Square”