How about that weather, then, eh?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:43 am

it's been raining for three solid days and is supposed to keep doing it.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Still no proper snow... Half the time I don't even need my fall coat, how the heck am I supposed to believe this is winter?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:11 pm

Still no proper snow... Half the time I don't even need my fall coat, how the heck am I supposed to believe this is winter?
Same here. We hit 70 F last week. This is the stupidest winter ever. I love winter and I want it back!!!!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:06 pm

Britain's in the grip of the coldest December since a long time ago, looks like we'll have the first white Christmas in years, and all people do is complain about it. Lighten up! Schools are closed anyway for the holidays, and a bit of cold weather never hurt anyone. I can just imagine people in (for instance) Romania being astonished that we're having such difficulty at temperatures about 20 degrees above their winter norm.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

If it had snowed during WWII, Hitler would have won. I seriously believe it. The speed with which the famed British "stiff upper lip" disappears at the slightest hint of snow is just unbelievable!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:22 pm

To be fair, the Germans had their fair share of trouble with snow. Their Russian assault was not exactly successful. And I'm sure there's no difference between the Siberian winters and the light dusting of snow that's around here now.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:07 pm

Same here. We hit 70 F last week. This is the stupidest winter ever. I love winter and I want it back!!!!
We have only had an inch or two of snow all year but it HAS been frigidly cold. Many nights in the single digits and most days in the 20s (Fahrenheit). I hate the cold without snow!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:29 am

4 days of nonstop rain in los angeles. I heard on the radio rainfall records for those particular days have been shattered several days in a row, pasadena's inch and a half yesterday more than tripled the record.

It is wet and mucky but luckily not as heavy traffic driving to work today because of the holidays.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:12 am

We were at Lights at the Zoo last night and it snowed! For about fifteen seconds. Then it turned into that weird "kind of a light mist falling generally downward" thing that always happens. But there were definitely a few flakes! It was sweet. I want my snow.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:10 pm

If it had snowed during WWII, Hitler would have won. I seriously believe it. The speed with which the famed British "stiff upper lip" disappears at the slightest hint of snow is just unbelievable!
Nah, the European theater might've lasted longer than the Pacific and - if Hitler didn't s*** a brick when he heard what happened to Japan - much of Germany would probably still be a smoldering radioactive crater, but the US would've still saved Europe's collective ass in the end. If he had managed to conquer Europe, after Japan poked the hornet's nest with a stick, he'd have a hard time trying to invade North America. Even if the Nazis managed to develop atomic weapons of their own too or first, I don't believe they could have rounded up the sheer manpower required for the invasion and occupying forces that would be required to conquer America once our fierce independent spirit that caused us to break violently from Britain gets riled up.

I probably took that scenario way farther than you or anyone cared for it to go, but oh well. I blame living with a pair of brothers who are Revolutionary, Civil and WWII buffs.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:28 pm

I probably took that scenario way farther than you or anyone cared for it to go, but oh well.
Bingo.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:36 pm

CA is sharing their rain, which is pretty fantastic of them to do. I spent my lunch outside with a book, a mug of Chai, and a sugar cookie and also managed to stay dry.

This week has been the best for weather purposes.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:02 am

CA is sharing their rain, which is pretty fantastic of them to do.
You can have the rain, I just want a cold winter, not a cold and wet winter.
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:45 am

I might have a white Christmas! A real one, instead of the one Christmas where we got maybe a millimeter of snow to stick (though I got a barbie jeep that day, so all was good anyway). The funniest part is back in College Station it was 80 F yesterday. I don't know if I want the snow or the ability to wear shorts outside Christmas morning more.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:47 am

I love it ! everythings white here ,no more snow please! :P

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:18 pm

So far it's looking pretty green here.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:30 pm

CA is sharing their rain, which is pretty fantastic of them to do.
You can have the rain, I just want a cold winter, not a cold and wet winter.
It's supposed to clear up tomorrow and stay that way. :( I would gladly take the rain off your hands if I could.

Knowing that, I spent my lunch outside in the rain again (well, protected from it but outside), reading, drinking Chai, and eating a sugar cookie. Pure bliss.

All this rain has also made me feel okay about not getting my rear in gear and watering the yard this past Sunday or Monday.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:44 pm

It snowed in a few north-Phoenix suburbs today. It didn't stick but it is very rare to get snow there, so it's pretty exciting news for those of us in typically weather-less desert.

Meanwhile, it's supposed to drop below freezing here tonight. We considered, for all of a second, turning the heater on for the first time this winter but decided against it.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:50 pm

SNOW!!!! FINALLY!!!!!

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:14 am

41 as a high tomorrow, 25 as a low. Actually feels like winter!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:47 pm

We moved from BC to Ontario, and when we got here, it was 7C, and today it was 9C, and rainy. It's like we never left!

Apparently it's supposed to get a bit colder tomorrow, so that will be nice.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:13 pm

This is a pic out our front door of the snowstorm we got over christmas weekend. We had about 18" and strong winds which made cool drifts.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:28 pm

Lotsa snow today! It's nice to have a bit of real winter before we leave. :)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:08 pm

It got down to -2*F last night and while it's in the balmy 20s right now, it is a BAD time for our furnace to die. We called the oil company at 9pm and are still waiting for them to come fix it. Fortunately, we have a service contract and won't get charged for the weekend call. But it's getting cold in here!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:20 am

In the last 24 hours we have had a couple inches of snow, followed by an inch of ice, and finished off with another couple inches of snow. I went out to try and shovel and it was near impossible. It was actually easier to break off pieces of snow/ice plates, pick them up and heave 'em (some two feet across). Sheesh.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Hey Starlooker, remember when we both lived in frigid horror? Now I live in a place where it's 34F today, and I'm guessing where you live is similar/warmer. Isn't it nice?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:08 pm

It's awesome! It's a bit snowy today, but should thaw this week. I think spring is coming!
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:47 am

It's only hovering around freezing today, but somehow the cold is in my bones. I'm going to be drinking a lot of tea today....

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:44 pm

Gotta love venturing out into -20C (-4F) temperatures. If it's going to be this cold we should at least get a nice heap of school canceling snow rather than just a couple of annoying centimeters.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:19 pm

Yeah, I feel like cold is pretty pointless without snow. That's why this winter has been so annoying! We've had some pretty cold days (intermixed with our 50 degree days), but only 2 real snow storms. My hands are so dry that I'm having to purposely apply lotion for the first time in my life.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:18 pm

It was -15F this morning and we had school delays (and a few closings) even without snow because the buses wouldn't start!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:24 pm

0 degrees fahrenheit. Which is the high today.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:55 pm

at around 6" of snow since yesterday and going to get another 14" tonight. which is pretty cool. i dig snow.

the wind is crazy though. it's hittin' around 30 mph and swirling so the snow is flying all over the place. crazy. we're supposed to expect 4 to 8 foot snow drifts.

awesome :)
Ubernaustrum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:13 pm

We're not getting pounded by snow or any other real weather but we're expecting winds this week of 30-45 MPH. I would probably enjoy this if I weren't biking; it always seems to be coming out of the NNE, which is the exact direction I ride.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Yesterday, the high was 80 degrees.

Right now, it is 25 degrees. I heard the cold front roll through with the 50 mph wind gusts at 4:30 AM that had my walls literally vibrating a little.

UUUUUGH!

I mean, I know the weather is worse in other parts of the country with all the snow... but the sudden temperature change is really hard on my body!
-Kim

Return to “Milagre Town Square”