Dollhouse...What do you think?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

What do you think of Dollhouse the show?

Like it, for now
68%
Seen it, don't like it
4%
Doll... what?
16%
Is it anything like Barbie's Dreamhouse?
12%
I remember tormenting my sister's dollhouse
No votes
I remember my brother tormenting my dollhouse
No votes

Total votes: 25

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Dollhouse...What do you think?

Postby Olhado_ » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:34 am

What do you think about this new show on FOX?

This is one show that I am still on the border. It is interesting; but I can see how it can very quickly lose my interest.

It is basically about a "company" that holds various people, who for a fee can have their personalities reprogrammed, based on the "customer's" needs. Obviously, it being a TV show you only follow a few characters around; but like I said before for now I find the concept interesting.

And I suppose someone can give a better summery. :)
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:34 am

I haven't really fallen in love with it, yet (I still need to see the latest two episodes on Hulu, since we don't get FOX, here).

But, it's Joss, so I'll keep watching, even if it winds up being merely mediocre (which it's not, yet).
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:52 pm

But, it's Joss, so I'll keep watching, even if it winds up being merely mediocre (which it's not, yet).
I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you've seen this.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:02 pm

I like it well enough.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:33 pm

I am finally impressed; yesterday's episode was far and away the most intriguing, substantive episode yet.

I was happy to see the focus move away from the Engagement of the Week, that were a monumental waste of time considering Eliza Dushku could not channel any of the people Echo was programmed to be -the closest she got was the blind one in the last episode but she ruined that for me towards the end. One engagement, or a glimpse of one, would have been sufficient to get the point across that she is remembering bits and pieces, that they are acting outside of what should be expected, but I will say it was probably the only way to work in the little, exponentially more interesting back/side stories.

Victor's growing attachment to Sierra, for instance, is more interesting to me as evidence that it is impossible to have sustained mind-wiping than all the shoulder pounding and 'deep' looks of Echo have been.

The guy who plays Ballard is a little stiff but his character is growing on me.

I am interested to see where the relationship between Boyd and Dr. Saunders goes. They obviously trust each other, probably more than they trust anyone else, and neither are as trusting of the technology as Topher is.

I'm not sure what I think of the neighbor being an active; I guess I'm not surprised after the camera feed of her conversation with Ballard was shown to us.

I hope we continue to see the Dollhouse and the inner workings of it instead of going back to seeing full engagements. If it weren't for the necessity of the background info scattered throughout the first 5 episodes, I'd tell anyone who hadn't seen any of this show to start with this episode (6th).
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:37 pm

^ Agreed.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:17 am

I dont watch much TV, but I really like Doll house, I keep having these wierd ,no great dreams where Eliza thinks I'm just the hottest farmer ever and she is always stalking me. :P

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:04 pm

I only just watched this past Friday's episode (it was on the same time as the BSG finale after all, so I had to tape it. Funny enough, the guy who plays Ballard was also a character on BSG).

I agree that it was the best episode thus far. I'm quite disappointed that the neighbour is an active though. I really liked her.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:01 pm

I'm quite disappointed that the neighbour is an active though. I really liked her.
I think I'm more disappointed that Ballard is getting played, so to speak. He genuinely cares about her as a person and he did and said all the right things...and really, it doesn't matter because she is just a persona created by the Dollhouse.

I didn't dislike her per se, I just thought she was starting to border on being obsessed with him; her being twitterpated was kind of endearing, but it was also inching closer and closer to Not Good/Healthy. (Says me, right?)

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:27 pm

Ha! I thought she was adorable. I guess I'm a sucker for the girl next door cliche. But as you said, it doesn't matter now because it's just an implanted persona. That sort of robs her of her charm.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Olhado_ » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:31 am

But as you said, it doesn't matter now because it's just an implanted persona. That sort of robs her of her charm.
I think that last statement is still up to debate, at least in the writers mind, well at least that is one of the minor things I got from the last episode.

I believe that was another reason for that "rich guy" saying what he said to Ballard.

However, I have to admit I thought you were talking about Boyd since he (and perhaps the doctor) is (are) the only person (people) to really care about the dolls and see them as human.
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:07 am

I think I'm more disappointed that Ballard is getting played, so to speak. He genuinely cares about her as a person and he did and said all the right things...and really, it doesn't matter because she is just a persona created by the Dollhouse.

I didn't dislike her per se, I just thought she was starting to border on being obsessed with him; her being twitterpated was kind of endearing, but it was also inching closer and closer to Not Good/Healthy. (Says me, right?)
I agree that the Mellie we're seen in previous episodes was different from the Mellie in this most recent episode (not counting the whole sleeper-stealth part of the imprint). In earlier episodes she was sort of desperate and cringe-inducing, but in t his episode I thought she had mildly more spunk. I almost cheered out loud when she busted out the "don't kiss me and think about her" line.

But I balk at suggesting that Ballard "genuinely cares for her." He's been ignoring her the entire run of the show, completely uninterested in her, and then as soon as he's called out on his Caroline-rescue fantasy he immediately swoops in and seduces his neighbor like he has something to prove. I think it's selfish and I just don't believe that he suddenly looked up and noticed that the girl who's been bringing him homemade manicotti for god knows how long is suddenly worth his time and attention. He is so easy to manipulate it's ridiculous. He is easily my least favorite part of the show.

Though Mellie as a Doll was predictable from episode one, I was genuinely shocked and pleased about the whole sleeper-stealth aspect! Definitely didn't see that coming.

Adele reminds me of Lila from Angel. I like them both.

I also thought Eliza's performance as the wife "Rebecca" was the best acting she's done on this show so far.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:15 am

I think Ballard is simply one of my favorite characters because I remember him from BSG. *shrugs*

I also think that the girl who plays Sierra is a better actor than the girl who plays Echo (Eliza Dushku) as whenever she takes on a new doll I feel like she is literally playing a new character. As opposed to Echo who I always feel like is bleeding characters over depending on the line she is giving. And no, I doubt it is intentional. ;)
I also thought Eliza's performance as the wife "Rebecca" was the best acting she's done on this show so far.
QFT.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:19 am

I just really like how Mellie is closer to an average size woman than all the other "dolls". It's nice to see a non-twig on tv. :)

I agree that Ballard seemed to only like Mellie all of the sudden because the rich guy hit a little too close to the truth with his comments.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:25 pm

I think Ballard is simply one of my favorite characters because I remember him from BSG. *shrugs*
Me too. I still think of him as Helo.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:56 am

I just really like how Mellie is closer to an average size woman than all the other "dolls". It's nice to see a non-twig on tv. :).
You know what? I totally agree. I find her so much more attractive than the other women on this show. She isn't overweight by any means, she just isn't one of those stick women... and I find I like that more. *shrugs*

Meant to post that last week but it's just another thought that got lost in my mind. :P

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:27 am

I was disappointed with last night's episode, especially compared to the week before. It seemed jumbled and anti-climactic.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:58 pm

I agree with Nomi; episode 7 was anti-climactic and disappointing. I'm seriously hoping there's more to Caroline's back story than her boyfriend dying after breaking into a lab because if there isn't, the show just gave me another reason to dislike the whole problem that is Caroline/Echo/Eliza. It just didn't feel convincing that she'd give in after a two year chase if that's all that she was running from (not to say it was not a big loss or bad thing to be partially responsible for a death). I will be forced to hope but not believe she smartened up after escaping the hospital and got more seriously and intelligently involved in working against the corporation.

The chase Caroline gives Dewitt better be damned good.

Episode 8 was better than 7 but not as good for me as 6. I was glad the partial return of memory was controlled because it would have moved the show along too fast for me if it was all an accident.

This episode showed why I find it hard to believe she actually smartened up at all in that chase between dead boyfriend and becoming a doll: she was way too willing to mentally/emotionally harm the dolls to a devastating degree just to make her sense of justice feel appeased. She was selfish and thought she was being selfless; a truly intelligent person would know that it would have been counterproductive to set them free in the condition they were in.

Victor is probably my official favorite character, with Sierra a very close second. I find I am significantly more interested in their pasts and who they will turn into as the show moves along (if it does).

I had more thoughts Saturday when I watched it but that's enough.

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Olhado_ » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:31 pm

I liked a lot of what was already said; but I just have a few comments.
Episode 8 was better than 7 but not as good for me as 6. I was glad the partial return of memory was controlled because it would have moved the show along too fast for me if it was all an accident.
I am also glad it was controlled since the plot would have moved a lot way to fast; but I am happy for another reason. If the memory relapse was not controlled, then the dollhouse employees were really slacking because they were definitely not acting like regular dolls, even around people.

And I bet Ballad is never turning off his phone again. :)

Do you really think Mellie lost her daughter or do you think it was another personal's relapse? I am only bringing it up because Echo/Caroline kept bring up the mountains, which to me is another one of her personalities talking. Also they were in their changing room.
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:49 pm

Caroline might have taken to the mountains to hide from Dewitt, before being caught and coerced into becoming a doll. I don't think it was a past engagement.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:23 am

I can't wait for the re-runs , this is one of those shows where your screwed if you miss anything! :)

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Olhado_ » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:22 pm

I can't wait for the re-runs , this is one of those shows where your screwed if you miss anything! :)
Why wait, just go to Hulu.com ;)
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:30 am

Thanks Olhado, I'll try it , but I have only dial up at the office. Yaah it does suck ! :)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:47 pm

What the hell was up with that scene with Ballard and Mellie? What the hell was that speech about being willing to be whatever he needed even if he didn't give her anything back? And then what the hell was up with him being so turned on by hearing that speech?

That scene really bothered me and made me seriously dislike Ballard.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:52 pm

Give the guy a break. He just had a moment of weakness and was clearly disgusted with himself afterward.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat May 09, 2009 8:06 pm

I started off greatly, and I mean greatly, disliking this show and was convinced it was doomed to suckage for its entire run, however short that may be. But now I'm finding myself very disappointed in the fact that it will likely be canceled.

Things I need to know:

What happens to Whiskey now that she's aware?

Did Topher really program her to hate him or did that happen on its own, and if he did, why?

For that matter, what's going on with Topher? He's got some issues, obvious from his once a year engagements and parts of this past episode.

What happens to Victor; would they send him on engagements scarred because it might matter less, him not being one of the females?

Is November (forgot the name she gave Ballard) gone for good or will she be back?

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue May 12, 2009 10:27 am

I liked the show from the start , but it feels like its heading full speed into some kind of premature ending. I hope it's not cancelled , but it sounds like it will. :cry:

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:18 am

I just watched the unaired 13th episode (via pirating, but it's on the DVD set) and I'm pretty much speechless. I'll just say that if you can watch it, you should watch it. It'll definitely change how you see season 2.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:22 pm

Epitaph One's definitely a bit of a game changer. I don't know if it'll even be used to lead in to the second season, though. It seems very likely to me that FOX will either:

1) Decide that they don't like the new tone of the show and demand we continue with "Job of the Week" episodes with a slowly developing backstory, or be canceled (See the changes after Firefly's pilot)

2) Decide that Dollhouse needs to expand its audience, and that Epitaph One's more likely to narrow it, and declare the project hopeless and cancel it (See Arrested Development)

If Joss can convince FOX that going with the Epitaph One continuity is feasible and will make the show more profitable, this could quickly turn into a great series, but I'll wait until an official announcement is made about season two.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:06 pm

I don't think that it's intended to start season 2. It was meant to end season 1, but Fox only bought 12 episodes. Even though it may not actually air, remarks I've read from Whedon suggest that it is considered "canon". Next season may end with an "Epitaph Two" which takes us back to where the part one ended. Season 2 will probably start to show us how things end up the way they do. The memories that they accessed raise a lot of questions about the intervening years which will need to be answered.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:07 am

I downloaded Epitaph One on iTunes the other day. It almost seemed like the thought process behind it was, "Well, we're probably going to get canceled, so lets give the fans a taste of the end we'll never get to."

The little bit I've read indicates this future will continue to be referenced/visited as Season 2 moves forward. As long as means more Felicia Day, I'm all for it.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:37 pm

I more thought of "Epitaph One" as in... this is one of the options about how the Dollhouse could go. It's a potential future. I think it'd be fun if they did periodic "epitaphs" throughout the series showing alternate ways they could end.

That being said, I love Felicia Day and I want more of her. Gimmie, Gimmie.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:45 pm

That being said, I love Felicia Day and I want more of her. Gimmie, Gimmie.
The Guild Season 3 starts on the 25th! And I've recently discovered she's in the Legend of Neil, which is quite funny, though very much NSFW.

ETA: Plus, if you have not yet seen the music video, you must.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:44 am

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:37 am

Tripple post. And it's not even directly Dollhouse related. It is related to both of my previous posts, though. And I'm too lazy to start a Guild thread:

Wil Wheton will be joining the Guild for Season 3. Forget the Dollhouse. The Guild has Felicia Day, Wil Wheton, the music video was a collaboration with Jed Whedon. Yeah. Dollhouse: Redundant.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”