stumped

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
primevere
Launchie
Launchie

stumped

Postby primevere » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:57 pm

Okay, so right now I am reading Angels and Demons and I am pretty much done. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books that are along the same lines as the above mentioned book that I should consider reading.
WSNBM/ONBP

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:01 pm

Well, based on another one of your posts, you seemed to like the Da Vinci Code as well, which is pretty similar.

My guess is that you should look into that book written around 1982 by the author who sued Brown *cannot remember his name right now*

primevere
Launchie
Launchie

Postby primevere » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:02 pm

i'll have to look into that... by any chance, do you know any other books that were written by brown ?? i think he is an amazing writter and i'd love to read more but have no idea on titles.
WSNBM/ONBP

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:05 pm

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:07 pm

As I recall he is writing a third book in the series. This one is supposed to be based on the masons...

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:19 pm

So, something along the lines of conspiracy with religious overtones?

try:

The Third Secret by Steve Berry

The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury

The Secret Supper by Javier Sierra.

note: I have not read any of these, but if you came to me at the reference desk, this is how I would reply.
May I also recommend calling your local library? This is totally the kind of questions they are happy to answer.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

primevere
Launchie
Launchie

Postby primevere » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:21 pm

well i like getting some ideas from people that may or may not be associated to a library in any way.. i like hearing about books by word of mouth, not by people who has a job in the library answering questions like mine. ive found some of the greatest books from people on forums and in chats.
WSNBM/ONBP

Petra
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby Petra » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:21 pm

The Rule of Four
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:22 pm

My guess is that you should look into that book written around 1982 by the author who sued Brown *cannot remember his name right now*
That book is entitled "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail" by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:26 pm

My advice: Don't bother with Digital Fortress. It was quite clearly his first novel, and his other books build on the plot/character, etc. ideas he uses in that one. So I really didn't get anything out of it. But to each his own, of course. :)
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

primevere
Launchie
Launchie

Postby primevere » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:28 pm

i heard about angels and demons from my dads girlfriend who couldnt get past the first couple of pages and yet i tried it out and im almost done. so i'll try that one and see what its like...

i heard that they are making a movie about angels and demons
WSNBM/ONBP

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:03 pm

*does not have a reference desk job*

*runs from room screaming*
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:59 pm

My advice: Don't bother with Digital Fortress.
I second this. Though I haven't read Brown's other works, so I can't say much else about the rest of what Mahatma wrote, but I do agree that Fortress, well, sucked.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

the HiveQueen
Launchie
Launchie

Postby the HiveQueen » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:26 pm

The Rule of Four
That was a good one! You stole my answer.

I heard Dan Brown's next book is actually supposed to take place in the U.S., but that just makes it sound like that movie, National Treasure (which was a rip off of Dan Brown in the first place. Nice little paradox we have here).

If you're interested in religion and art, I might recommend Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling by Ross King, which is nowhere near along the conspiratorial lines of the Da Vinci code and Angels and Demons, but it is still interesting. I remember having just finished Dan Brown's books and thinking I could never go back to reading literature that had nothing to do with conspiracy, christianity, art symbology and murder mystery - I eventually figured out that there aren't a whole lot of books out there that fit that description and moved on. You might want to consider other genres as well, because there are so many, and many of them are much better than Dan Brown's little money makers.

the HiveQueen

Return to “Milagre Town Square”