LOST

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Do you watch LOST?

Yes! I am obsessed!
21%
Yes, but in a casual way.
13%
No, I stopped watching after it got weird and annoying in the 3rd season.
13%
No, I never really got into it.
54%

Total votes: 24

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

LOST

Postby Young Val » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:39 am

I refuse to believe I'm the only LOST fan on pweb. I kind of can't believe there's no thread for it yet. I mean, we have a Heroes thread and that show tanked FOREVER ago. I can't be the only LOST lover, can I? I need people to gush/theorize with!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:44 am

I've been told I should watch it, but I have 13 more seasons of Stargate to work through first ;)
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:57 am

I picked the tanked in the third season option. I was into it for all of season one, then around season two it started to lose interest for me and I didn't even start season three.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:06 pm

I think I fit someone in between casual and obsessed, but I picked the latter just for the heck of it. I've seen every episode and continue to watch and enjoy each week. However, I don't spend much time thinking or theorizing about it when I'm not actually watching it.

That pretty much describes my viewership of Heroes too, as a matter of fact.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:23 pm

I actually just gave up on Heroes during this last break. I didn't plan on it but eh. I have seen the first three seasons of Lost two or three times, not sure. And yes, I love it. But I don't think I'm obsessed...
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:40 pm

It never looked interesting to me, so I never attempted to watch it. It doesn't help that I don't have much patience for TV; TV-on-DVD, on the other hand, is heaven sent.

Also, I assumed this thread was about the show itself and not about whether or not people watched it, so I almost didn't peak in.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:42 pm

I confess myself totally shocked. I am OBSESSED with it. LOST Wednesdays are a very big deal in my apartment. I didn't watch it on tv at first, but after Henry and I broke up I went through a phase where I distracted myself by binge watching as much tv as possible. So that's how I saw LOST seasons 1-3. I'm HOOKED.

Especially given the heavy sci-fi bent, I really am surprised there aren't more fans on here.

ETA:

Alea, I had hoped it would turn into a discussion about the show, but apparently no one likes it! (PS. It's all online--legally!--at ABC.com. Waaaaaaaaaatch it! Binge-watching online/on dvd is the BEST way to watch tv).
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:09 pm

One thing that I'll say to non-Lost fans to encourage them to watch: the 3rd season finale had one of the best surprise endings that I've ever seen on television... assuming you avoid spoilers, of course.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:24 pm

One thing that I'll say to non-Lost fans to encourage them to watch: the 3rd season finale had one of the best surprise endings that I've ever seen on television... assuming you avoid spoilers, of course.

So true!!! Even rewatching it, knowing what happens, I still get chills as the realization dawns in the last scene!
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:30 pm

I'm afraid of lost, I get addicted to things like this far far too easily. and people who know me are always astonished that I don't watch Lost, but really, it's self-preservation instinct, like staying away from MMORPGs. heh.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:52 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Lost.

I am obsessed and miss my equally obsessed friends. I watched Seasons 1-3 for the first time in Spring 2007. I've watched them 4 times since then. I've only seen Season 4 twice. I love theorizing. At home, I had a Lost Lunch group that would get together and talk about the show and our theories.

I miss that! I don't have that here. I also don't watch it live. I usually end up watching it Friday nights (because I Tivo it. I have to study Wednesday nights and I can't watch Lost and study, unlike most of the other TV I watch.)
-Kim

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:33 pm

I picked the tanked in the third season option. I was into it for all of season one, then around season two it started to lose interest for me and I didn't even start season three.
This is my exact story. I was in it for the characters, originally, but when all of the revelations started going nowhere, and the development just turned into more conundrums and strange personality changes I got fed up. Of course, the cliff-hanger at season 2's end would have kept me watching, because, right then, I wanted more, but, well, that's how seasons work.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:45 pm

I've watched every season from the beginning and I love it, but I'm not watching this season. Brian works evenings and we don't have a DVR anymore so we figured we'd get the DVDs from the library when they come out and watch together. It's just not as fun to watch by yourself, so I'll wait for my husbandman!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:13 pm

I think Lost is the only J J Abrams show I've not gotten in to. I remember enjoying Alias, though it didn't hold my attention for too long. This season, though, started Fringe which has blown my mind.

Unfortunately for me, ABC.com and other legal tv watching sites block Canadians from watching :-(
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:30 pm

I'll elaborate on my Lost story. I didn't watch the first season and after all the talk, I caught up by watching the reruns they played all summer long. Then I watched seasons one and two as they aired but my husband didn't. During the season three finale, he walked into the room during that LAST five minutes (gah!) and worried he might start to talk, I gave him the "don't make a sound" look/motion. I think he was intrigued as to what could possibly be so interesting. So, between seasons three and four, we watched all of the first three seasons and he has watched it ever since. It's one of the few shows that we watch together. I guess I'm in between a casual and obsessed fan.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:35 pm

omg, i've gotten more people hooked on that show... man.

i missed the first season, but then rented it to see what all the hype was about. plus the previews looked bad ass.

i wasn't working at the time, i'd just been laid off and needed something to do with my time. holy crap was i ever hooked! i put in the first dvd of the set and if you don't have the one week break between episodes, it plays like a movie... a 23 hour movie. i watched it all the way through only taking breaks to go to the bathroom, grab things to eat... and once to sleep.... but i had to force myself to do that.

very frustrating show to watch, even worse when you watch it weekly on tv. i usually end up yelling at the TV when the episode is done. i did like it more when it seemed less like a fantasy, but now i'm hooked and have to see it through. most of the people i've gotten into the show tell me they hate me for it. lol
Ubernaustrum

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu May 14, 2009 1:11 pm

OH. MY. GOD.

I can't really articulate anything else at the moment.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu May 14, 2009 2:38 pm

You know, I wasn't terribly impressed by the finale, or this past season in general. The 2 hour finale explained NOTHING. In typical Lost fashion, it just left us with more things that need explaining.

The only thing that I'm sure of is that the bomb won't change anything. Can't they get it through their thick heads that whatever happened, happened? No grandfather paradoxes in the Lost universe.

Still a good show and I look forward to its return, but I liked it better before the supernatural shape-shifting entities and time travel.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Thu May 14, 2009 2:40 pm

Fits into the 'may try to watch after have finished watching Red Dwarf, all Stargates ever made and then a bunch of films' category

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Thu May 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu May 14, 2009 10:17 pm

this season was alright. i enjoyed the trip into 77. the characters seem to have gotten a lot more wishy washy. plus i felt this finale was a bit predictable.

anyone else feel like the writers got themselves way deep in crazyland and have to rush through these last two seasons to bring it all back home?

i liked it better when they weren't explaining things. still gonna keep watching it though.

anyway, at least it was less disappointing than the bones finale. that blew.
Ubernaustrum

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:10 pm

SEASON SIX.

http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/xbz2di

ESTÁIS LISTOS PWEB? :D I am very obsessed with LOST. Anyone have any good theories? Or you could always just share your favorite ones that have been disproved but are still fun/amazing/crazy.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:29 am

I haven't even watched a single episode of that show... so, is it worth the hype? i mean, now that i ran out of Dexter episodes, i wonder what i could watch next.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:02 pm

its definitely worth it. if nothing else just for the first couple seasons. i know a few shows that get a lot more hype than lost that suck way worse.

*coughamericanidolcough*
Ubernaustrum

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:52 pm

There's quite a mix of reactions in here. Surprising. I thought there'd be more Lost fans here. Huh.

I'm a huge LOST fan. I didn't watch it during the first season, but at the time I was still living at home and my dad SWORE by it, he loved it, it was his favorite show. So when his birthday came around, I bought him season 1 on DVD and promptly watched the first season (before season 2 came on) and man oh man was I hooked.

As I've moved out, got married, and things have changed I don't really have the time to dedicate a specific evening to watching ANY specific show, so I usually have to wait until the seasons come out on DVD. In fact, I finished season 5 last night. But honestly, this works well for me, because my wife and I have LOST marathons and generally blow through a season in two or three days.

Can't wait for season 6. Let's keep this thread going and discuss what goes on in the premier and throughout the season.

Salaam

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:02 pm

I have been currently ripping through shows for the passed couple of months. It is now Lost's turn. I am halfway through the second season right now. I would love to get through the rest before the season premire next week, but I don't think that is going to happen. Maybe I'll be caught up by the second episode of this season.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:03 pm

I watched the first season and was really enjoying it until I realised it wasn't going to finish as a full story at the end of the season. I gave season two a chance, but then it just began dragging, and dragging, and dragging. I might give it a chance again when it's completed, but as it stands I have little to no interest in it anymore.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Yebra » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:30 am

*new season spoilers*

So apparently what happened happened, but other stuff can happen too?

Fountain of youth? That doesn't work now Jacob's dead? Is Sayid now Jacob? Was Jacob ever Jacob? AM I JACOB?!

IS DESMOND A GHOST IN THIS OTHER TIMELINE? Or, more dramatically, did he go back to his seat?!?

Why does the smoke monster want to go home? Where is home? Who's stopping him? Angel cast out of heaven with a plan to return exploiting a loophole in Catholic dogma? CRASH LANDED ALIEN? Science experiment from the future? Is the entire series a set up by a demon ('smile time') to get everyone emotionally invested in a show and in the finale it'll pour out of the screens and eat us all? Would this be a thematically satisfying conclusion to the show/the universe?

If the smoke monster (Assuming that's the 'he') isn't allowed in the temple, why was he dragging the french crew down there?

At this point I'm seeing the ancient sites as being essentially the same things as dharma stations, things built by outsiders to exploit the effects of the island but no more 'meant' to be there than anything else. Although that raises the question as to why there was a completely inaccessible wheel in a buried chamber.

Was Richard above or below decks on the Black Rock?

Different pasts, same futures? Was Juliet existing in both universes briefly, unstuck in space as Desmond was in time?

What exactly caused the Island to sink? Apparently didn't happen immidately after the blast. The fact that the plane still shook suggests they didn't change history the way they meant to as the magnetic stuff is still going (possibly all the time if there's no hatch to man underwater) but is just being reduced by the water. In the other universe does Lost have a better CGI budget?

Other Others! HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE THERE ON THIS DESERTED ISLAND.

"I don't understand" - Poor poor Locke, but at least he has lots and lots of company.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:44 pm

SPOILERS i guess.

my best guesses at this point:

julia wasn't on the plane so from her perspective of being on the island the plane didn't crash therefore it worked. thus the plane landed... we're seeing a different timeline where they didn't crash. but the original bunch that did crash remain uneffected because they can't change the timeline they are currently in. so we get to see them on the island AND on the plane. the nuke just shocked them back into the present day(2006 or whatever).

sayid IS the new incarnation of jacob.

desmond was on the plane because he's doing his own personal time travel again.

richard still messes with my head.

jacob/smoke dude and richard too (i think) are all about that giant statue... roman? egyptian? so richard was the smoke's prisoner at some point? jacob was the ruler of whatever group had that statue-smoke dude was his slave or something. smoke dude wants to go back to the time he's from with the statue? wtf i don't know.

the statue foot in the water confuses me. and the temple design looks mayan and that has to mean something too.

this season is going to be one of the hardest ones to watch until it's done.

can't wait! :D
Ubernaustrum

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Yebra » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:18 pm

Addition to Sayid theory: Ben was also Jacob and had been some form of him since being to the temple as a child. Jacob describing Ben as "an old friend who grew tired of my company" despite Ben claiming to never actually seeing Jacob has a very Jesus' footprints in the sand feel to it.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:20 am

Okay, I get why setting off the bomb would significantly alter the lives of the "others" who had grown up or lived on the island (Ben, Ethan, etc). But why the heck would it make Jack have a kid in the alternate reality?!? I'm so confused!

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Yebra » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:18 am

My new working theory is that the flashsideways aren't a result of the bomb but of the coming season finale, where each character that was 'good' is getting their reward by having a life with their underlying problems resolved (Jack, Locke, Hurley seems to be lucky as opposed to cursed), or alternatively very not getting that (Kate, Sayid, possibly Jin and Claire but we'll see how this goes). Not many names to go on at this point, but that nicely falls into the two camps that seem to be emerging. Which is why it's completely wrong.

Alternatively the Island from Reality A is currently existing in Reality B (alongside sunken Island B) and at some point we'll see cross-overs as people start to be drawn to the Island that has only just appeared in that reality. Or not.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Yebra » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:35 pm

Is it significant that Smokey told us specifically what Locke's LAST thought was given that we know of one other person who has the power to see last thoughts? Has he ever demonstrated any knowledge he couldn't have gained by being a sneaky shadow rather then access to the whole mind of the dead?

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Yebra » Sat May 22, 2010 4:15 pm

*PRE FINALE BUMP*

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat May 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Any theories about Desmond's role as a "failsafe" and how Nemesis(the smoke monster) is going to be killed?

And how the Alternate Timeline will be significant?
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Return to “Milagre Town Square”