Mac or PC?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Mac or PC?

Mac
25%
PC
57%
Mac...PC...Mac...PC...no preference
11%
What??? I use a typewriter.
No votes
Duckies?
7%

Total votes: 28

peterlocke123
Soldier
Soldier

Mac or PC?

Postby peterlocke123 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:52 pm

I'm curious...what's your preference? Mac or PC?

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:21 pm

*waits for the Linux guys to complain about getting left out*
The enemy's fly is down.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:06 pm

Macs. PCs are confusing and ugly.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:18 pm

Last year I was transcribing essays for a professor that he had received from contributors to a journal he is making and several of them were most certainly written on a typewriter. It made me happy.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:45 pm

*waits for the Linux guys to complain about getting left out*
Actually, it depends on what he's asking. He could be asking preference of hardware architecture (in which case I am x86, or "PC", over the older Mac architecture of PowerPC), or operating system. In either case, more options that most ever thought existed are being left out.

Oh, and actually I'd sooner complain that you think that there are only three choices of OSes: Win, Mac, and Linux. You're still leaving out quite a bit there, even ones that I've used.

And anyway, he asked a preference between two things, and gave adequate options for those that prefer neither. I think I will vote for Mac, though, since OS X has a nice command line interface and shell, so using that, it's much more familiar to me (for some things), since I have used Linux and various BSDs. It's also better from a software development point of view, since Windows is different from pretty much every other system in almost every way, and is a pain in the ass to port software to.

Edit: Scratch all that. Clearly, Linux/Unix/etc is the typewriter.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

shadow-petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Totoro To-to-ro

Postby shadow-petra » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:13 pm

I like PC's, but i'm starting to like Macs. Photoshop works better on a Mac and my school uses Macs, so i've gotten used to them. The only thing that's stopping me from getting one is i'm broke, and i hate the one button mouse

peterlocke123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby peterlocke123 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:37 pm

I like PC's, but i'm starting to like Macs. Photoshop works better on a Mac and my school uses Macs, so i've gotten used to them. The only thing that's stopping me from getting one is i'm broke, and i hate the one button mouse
You can get a mighty mouse!!! it's a 2 button, scroll wheel and squeeze-click mouse from apple! or you can get any other mouse you like. I'm currently using a Logitech Mx 700 Optical. 7 buttons and scroll wheel. It work's quite nice. Wireless too! Don't fall to the dark side!

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:07 pm

Technically speaking Macs are PCs. Since the term PC means personal computer, and a Mac is nothing more than a personal computer, but I digress, because popular culture has taken the term PC and applied it to Windows based computers.

Personally I think the question isn't really a good one, since it depends on what you are doing. I have both Macintosh and Windows machines in my house, and I work on Windows PCs and Linux. For simple computing tasks I think that a mac is fine. They are heavy on the eye candy, but Microsoft is moving in that direction as well. For gaming, or general work related tasks, I would probably reach for a windows machine. Sure you can game on Macintosh, and Linux, but it's not really a comparison. Just walk into any electronics store and try to find a single aisle devoted to macintosh games. When you fail with that task, I dare you to find a single Linux game. For other tasks, Linux is just as good of a choice.

So, as far as I'm concerned the question is moot. Yet I voted PC, since they are all PCs in the long run.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:02 am

Technically speaking Macs are PCs. Since the term PC means personal computer, and a Mac is nothing more than a personal computer,
Except that the term PC almost always refers to "IBM PC Compatible" (or at least has since that computer was made), which runs on an x86 architecture, and almost all Macs run on non-x86 archs, except for the new powerbooks.

dgf hhw

peterlocke123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby peterlocke123 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:31 pm

Actually, all new Macs run on x86 processors, but the fundemental difference is in the operating system and hardware manufacturers.

Apple is committed to design unification that brings the design of the hardware and software together. Hence, Macs are characterized by uniform design created by Apple. On the other hand, PCs have no uniform hardware but are instead characterized by the operating system.

Yes, all Macs are techincally PCs, but in this case, the term PC refers to computers running a non-Apple operating system (Windows or Linux).

Linux however, is much more like a Mac than any Microsoft operating system, because both OS X and Linux are based on Unix whereas Microsoft operating systems are based on DOS.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:50 pm

A computer's a computer, dude. Just make sure it's capable of doing what you need it to.

I want mine to have word processing (preferably in a program I am familiar with), excel, a good wireless card, and MATLAB. I really don't need anything more than that.

Macs don't really do MATLAB very well, so Windows machines for me.

And, honestly, I think my new Windows machine is just as pretty as my roommate's new Mac. (And prettier than the all black macbooks.)
-Kim

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:14 pm

Actually, all new Macs run on x86 processors
Isn't that what I said? Oh, pardon me, new powerbooks and mac minis, and whatever other shiny new toy they're marketing these days.
Yes, all Macs are techincally PCs, but in this case, the term PC refers to computers running a non-Apple operating system (Windows or Linux).

Linux however, is much more like a Mac than any Microsoft operating system, because both OS X and Linux are based on Unix whereas Microsoft operating systems are based on DOS.
Sorry, I cannot continue to talk with someone spouting garbage such as this. Good day.

dgf hhw

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:43 am

no need to get snarky zero
Ubernaustrum

peterlocke123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby peterlocke123 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:15 pm

Actually, all new Macs run on x86 processors
Isn't that what I said? Oh, pardon me, new powerbooks and mac minis, and whatever other shiny new toy they're marketing these days.

Sorry, I cannot continue to talk with someone spouting garbage such as this. Good day.
There's no need to get all grumpy when somebody tells you the truth...

Return to “Milagre Town Square”