How do you survive where you live?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

How do you survive where you live?

Postby Jayelle » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:17 pm

Okay, so here's the thing: Yeah, it's cold where I live. It goes down to -50 sometimes (and that's in both C and F). I know how to dress to survive it, even though I hate it sometimes (all the time).

I don't, however, know how to survive the 40+ (102+) heat that some others live in.
I have no idea how to live in a place where it rains more then, say, five times a year.
I have no clue how to live in a city with a population of a million or more.
I've never experienced an earthquake - nor do I even think about them.
Same with a hurricane.

So, how do you survive where you live? What are some essentials for the rainy coast or the frickin' desert?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: How do you survive where you live?

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:20 pm

I don't, however, know how to survive the 40+ (102+) heat that some others live in.

The vast majority of earthquakes a person will experience are small enough to sleep/walk/work/eat/etc through. Sure, it's good practice to act as though it's a real threat, but I mostly don't. When I do, I head for a doorway and stand in it.

Populations of one million or more are no big deal out west; they're all sprawl anyway, so it's more like a lot of little communities that just border each other (which it usually is) and you don't really have to leave yours unless you want to. Hop in your car -since the public transportation sucks- and get on the highway/freeway. Traffic can suck, as well as the time you waste on waking up earlier to deal with it.

Heat? Crack your car windows enough to let the hot air escape. Avoid leather on the seats; dark colors, too, if you can. Gloves are a good idea because your steering wheel will burn your hands otherwise. Air conditioning is a must. Car batteries tend to last for only 2-3 years from the heat, so be prepared to replace those.

Mostly, people stay inside during the hottest part of the day. Physical activities are best done in the wee hours of the morning (between 5-7am).

Drink lots of fluids, wear a hat if possible. Walk in the shade if you're lucky enough to find any; that's usually ten degrees cooler.

Shorts are a smart idea, but I can get away with pants because I'm accustomed to the heat. Wear light colors.

I don't know...heat, earthquakes, largish populations are easy. It's the cold that undoes me.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:45 pm

I've found that a good hat works wonders for both rain and heat, although with the heat we shutter all the windows from morning until evening and I usually hide in the basement as I react very badly to long exposure to the heat.

Really, with the rain there isn't much surviving you need to worry about. The biggest thing is that when you choose where to live, you are wise to make sure the house is above street level so that if it rains a lot that rain won't run into your basement.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:30 am

Where I live, in Texas, the summers are hot and the winters can be cold (For me, not for you! That is really when it is in the teens and the wind is blowing). In the summer you have to crack the car windows or else it is hot and stuffy when you get in. Bundle up in the cold and prepare for a drought about once every ten years.

That's about it. I've never given it much thought. The worst that we do have to worry about is tornadoes. Those can suck. I've never been in one nor seen one but they are common everywhere except in a three mile radius from where I live!
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:09 am

It gets fairly cold where I live. -30 is pretty much the lowest though. Wind chill sucks though. You bundle up to go outside. You let the car run for 10 minutes before driving it, and you plug it in if it's uber chilly. You get a plow on your truck or four-wheeler to get rid of the snow that dumps on your driveway. (Shoveling manually takes way too long for the amount of snow we get).
Over 70 is too hot. 60s are nice summer temp. But lately, our summers have been nasty and cloudy and in the 50s for weeks on end. I think we had 10 sunny days last summer. Mosquitoes invade all summer long. But, on the plus side, there is never a time of day when it's too hot to go out, and sunburns are almost nonexistent.
It rains fairly often, but usually it's just cloudy. The darkness is the worst thing, but I usually don't have a problem with it. You get dark shades in the summer if you can't sleep with the sun shining.
Earthquakes aren't that bad, most of the time. I've never panicked. Just dive under a desk if things start falling and you're okay.
I have no idea what it's like to live in big cities. Anchorage is too big for my liking and it's only 300,000.
We don't have to worry about tornadoes, or hurricanes, or poisonous spiders. Tsunamis aren't much of a threat where I am. Apparently we can be subject to ashfall, but I haven't experience that yet.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:50 am

Just buck up and live the day no matter what the weather you get . Some days suck, some rock!! :wink:
" Dont sweat the petty stuff , pet the sweaty stuff"

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:02 am

Booze.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:17 am

A big umbrella.
A plastic bag to make sure your computer and/or books stay dry, even when they're in your backpack.
By very carefully not laughing at anyone when they complain how hot or cold it is.*

* Actually, I laugh anyway. It's funny.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:09 pm

*proud*

Having lived in five states in my adult life I know that I can survive extreme heat and cold, torrential rainfall and utter drought, snow and ice and wind. I can out-weather boast just about anyone.

However, I am not yet certain about surviving tornado season. I guess I'll find out how to survive those later this year.

At least, I hope I find out how to survive those later this year.

I guess that'll leave hurricanes and earthquakes.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:20 pm

Being Canadian and all people assume that surving the cold is our only problem, but in southern Ontario at least we get some pretty hot weeks in summer too. It gets well into the 30s celsius (90s Fahrenheit), and it surprises many people to learn that my home doesn't have air conditioning. Some people are such wusses.

In any case, the key to survival is to live in my basement. It's the coolest part of the house in summer and the warmest in winter. Everything else is just a matter of dressing appropriately. It annoys the heck out of me when people who have lived here for many years bitch and moan about either temperature extreme. Unfortunately, my mom is the worst person I know when it comes to complaining about the cold. She's been through more winters than I have, you'd figure if I'm used to it she should be too. I guess that's the difference between being born here and moving here as an adult.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:44 pm

It is a little known fact that the Cumberland Plateau has a whole bunch of tornadoes every year. Having survived a tornado in a tent (we were in a valley, so we were slightly sheltered). I can tell you that while they are unnerving, tornados are not as scary as my imagination and Hollywood would have you believe. They are less scary in a house. You'll need a flashlight, a radio and some blankets.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Hector.Victorious
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hector.Victorious » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:06 pm

I live where it can get up to 104 (40) in the summer, but when you add in the humidity factor, it can feel pretty hot. .

All you really need to do is carry around water, no matter where you're going. Never get dehydrated, it sucks.
Wear shorts and short sleeved shirts.
Try to stay out of the sun at its peak.
Wear LOTS of sunscreen.
Stay indoors as much as possible.
"Killing Buggers was not homicide."
"No, I guess it was insecticide."

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:52 pm

Toronto most definitely has a population over 1 million...

- Forget about driving, learn to live by city transit. Even if you can afford to drive, it's actually more convenient to bus it than driving.
- Be friendly. Just because you're in a big city, and are likely surrounded by jerks, doesn't mean that you have to be one. Homeless people are not going to mob you and neither are the (insert visible minority here)
- Stay where you feel comfortable. If your friend wants to take a shortcut through an alley and you don't, don't. Same goes for visiting the bad side of town for a restaurant or something. Appearing nervous in your surroundings paints a target on your back, just like my next point.
- Do protect yourself. Flashing money or valuable items around is like painting a target on your back.
- Be open minded. Any large city has all kinds of shops and restaurants and neat little places you'll never find anywhere else. Where else can you find an authentic Ethiopian restaurant? Or purchase spices imported direct from India? You can't experience the city by staying home all the time and only eating McDonald's
- Grow a thick skin. When you're surrounded by 2 million other people, you're bound to be exposed to things you don't want to, whether it's glancing down an alley to see someone shooting drugs or having someone curse obscenities you had to look up to understand from their car at you, it happens. Unless it affects you directly, you'll likely never hear any follow up from any of those situations. Learn to let them roll off your back.

Oh, and get a good job; because without primo income you can't live in anything bigger than a soap box.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:11 pm

Rain is mostly easy, the only tricky part is the driving. You have to watch for deep puddles on the road or you'll end up hydro planing.

Also, i've lived in Washington almost my whole life and I don't know anyone who owns an umbrella. They're too much of a hassle, having to carry around a wet plastic poky stick. I guess in a place like Seattle where walking is almost easier then driving it would be a good idea, but for all the car to store type things, don't even bother.

You also have to be careful about getting your pant legs wet. It's miserable waiting for them to dry.

You learn to do a lot of warm weather stuff in the cold/rain. I've had a lot of camping trips where we've strung tarps over several camping sights just to keep dry. A lot of picnics in heavy coats.
Last edited by Petra456 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:41 pm

The enemy's fly is down.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:00 pm

wisconsin is great. cuz we get -20F in the winter sometimes down to -40F even. and then in the summer we'll get 100F with a high humidity.

but i really do enjoy it cuz i get to experience all the seasons. :D

oh and we get tornadoes and we can feel aftershocks from the earthquakes in illinois.
Ubernaustrum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:05 am

we get some pretty hot weeks in summer too. It gets well into the 30s celsius (90s Fahrenheit), and it surprises many people to learn that my home doesn't have air conditioning. Some people are such wusses.
I was thinking about this as I was outside doing yardwork today (because the sun was pounding on me and it felt warmer than it actually was)...we have air conditioning and although I could survive without it during the morning, day, and evening -walking, running, standing/sitting/relaxing, and otherwise being outside or in heat up to 120F is tolerable- I absolutely would not be able to sleep in anything above 78, 80F. I actually get what I call heat cramps, especially in my legs; it's not an actual pain, more like restless leg syndrome, where they can't be still because of the heat.

We've had our AC go out a few times in July/August, which are the worst times for heat (where our lows are 90, 92F) and it was no fun trying to sleep. We would wet towels and sleep on them (damp better than our bodies melting), sleep on the tile in the kitchen, use ice packs, or sleep with squirt bottles nearby so that when the heat woke us, we could get some quick refreshment. ETA: those plus floor fans were used. Always have floor fans around here; they're heaven sent.

A fair share of AZans have died from the heat, which is why the AC is not about being a wuss, but rather about avoiding death. :P

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:23 am

well I grew up in Missouri and Iowa, so I've been in 110+ heat (with insane humidity, none of the lovely dry heat the los angeles desert gets in the summer) and negative 25- cold (with as low as -32 windchill iirc). in Missouri I've lived smack in the middle of tornado alley most of my life. In LA I live in earthquake land (missouri too, but although everyone in state knows about the New Madrid fault, no one really believes it'll go off again, lol). i concede defeat on snowfall though, the max I've experienced in one go is about 24 inches

mostly I live through it by not thinking about it. I transition temperatures really well, my dad was an 80 in the summer, 70 in the winter on the house thermostat type so it often didn't feel like we had AC. :-p that means when living by myself my AC and heating bills are often very low as I don't notice enough to turn it on except on a handful of days. Earthquakes I don't notice. My first one I was on my ninth floor dorm bed and thought it was a rather pleasant swaying motion, like being in a hammock. The most recent sounded like a movie special effect explosion, the one that Nomi posted a thread about last year I slept through.

Likewise for tornados. "Oh. the sky went green again. time to get inside, looks like tornado weather. tornados leveled Pierce City not far from Joplin, but the closest they've come to us was when some almost tornadic winds (hilariously called 'straight winds' although there was nothing straight line about the random sampling of destruction it left) ripped the center out of the maple tree in our front lawn. I was out a few hours later dragging the massive branches out of the road--and mainly I recalled being annoyed that although the 'straight winds' ripped the roof off my favorite video store and distributed VHS all over town, we didn't get any free movies. :-p We had tornado drills once a month in school, fire drills once a semester, iirc. I think we had one earthquake drill in fourth grade when we studied Missouri and learned about the impending earthquake from New Madrid that would in all likelyhood sink half of Joplin (which is built over flooded mineshafts).

The sinkholes actually are probably more worrisome, about once every two years there'd be a story in the local news about someone trapped in a sink hole when the section of the road they were driving on dropped 8-20 feet as a sink hole collapsed. :-P

For all that I am blase about all this, I was a very cautious child most of the time. I wasn't tremendously fond of getting hurt, but was quite rambunctious and fearless within certain environs I knew well, whether it was the forest/creek/construction sites behind our house or the soccer field. :-P

Come to think of it that creek may have been more dangerous than the lot, google FAG bearings, silver creek and you'll know the runoff area I was in. the water would turn my socks a pale purple afterwards, perhaps not the safest stuff around.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:46 pm

Bumpity-bump-bump...bump bump!

Okay, so this is more weather based and all but I thought I'd give it a bump so we can get an overall comparison from the Duck on normal-Canada versus Canada-Canada. Accents, weather, physical geography, culture, whatever. I want to know. Please?

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:48 pm

I live in Jersey, probably the most interesting bit of weather that I've gone through is when one April a 90F heatwave broke on Tuesday and on Thursday it snowed 6 inches. We've had small Earthquakes, bigger hurricanes, and bigger snowstorms, but not as big as some places. Basically just enough of everything to be problematic when they show up.

We've got a pretty good infrastructure for clearing snow and whatnot, but learning how to walk on ice is a childhood rite of passage. If you live on a cul-de-sac, and I did, you must also learn to make the most of the 20-30 foot mountains of snow the plows will deposit on your street. If you're too old for that, then a good shovel and understanding the different types of snow and how to shovel them off the driveway will do. Four wheel drive is appreciated by everyone, as is cleaning the snow off your roof so it doesn't fly off into the car behind you when you accelerate onto the highway, or cover up your winshield when you panic brake at a stop light.

When spring comes, things are much the same as everywhere else, save for those bizarre massive shifts like I mentioned earlier, but of particular interest is that in may areas, new development has rapidly encroached on forests, and so you may run across a number of deer, turkeys or other animals wandering around. Learning that wild animals are not at all like your pets is another childhood rite of passage.

Summer isn't as bad as many places, it goes from about 75 in early June, peaks out at 105 in July and comes down from there. What's important there is knowing which beaches in Jersey are worth visiting and which one's aren't. Knowing that all the theme parks are ridiculously expensive, not nearly as good as you thought they were as a kid, and somehow still remain packed enough that the lines will be unbearably long. Also realizing the Jersey is a suburb state and all the wee little kiddies will be out of school for summer, and so any club that allows 18 year old in, let alone 17 year olds will be ruined for a few months. That, and also knowing that the Poconos are still surprisingly good ski country in the summer will get you through.

Fall means school is back in session. Rush hour will be worse than ever, any coworkers with kids will be at the height of stress, especially if they're paying college or private school bills (which you want to in Jersey), and will likely be annoyed that their summer vacation didn't work out like they planned. Everyone will want to talk about their kids and their kids plans and their plans for their kids, because they grow up so fast.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:33 am

By Lake Superior in a northerly area of Wisconsin (you're not getting more than that); so about as cold as it gets in the continental U.S. I think only International Falls, MN gets considerably colder in the lower 48. Blizzards, -50 wind chill.. Yeah. Also, we broke hundred year old records in June, July AND August for rainfall, so we got soaked all through summer. Which led to unbearable humidity for about 90 days straight. Survival is just a matter of learning to love it. When there's 3 feet of snow, and snowdrifts are taller the car, and everything's closed for 3 days in a row, and snot freezes on your face and you can't even open the door because it's shellacked in an inch-thick layer of ice, you just have to love that it's not 100 degrees with 100% humidity. I got home yesterday, took off my work shirt and put on a t-shirt, and went out to the garage to move a few boxes around; I was only in there for a few minutes, but in an enclosed space with the heat and humidity, a fresh t-shirt was covered in sweat in less than 10 minutes.
Last edited by Satya on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:35 am

Bumpity-bump-bump...bump bump!

Okay, so this is more weather based and all but I thought I'd give it a bump so we can get an overall comparison from the Duck on normal-Canada versus Canada-Canada. Accents, weather, physical geography, culture, whatever. I want to know. Please?
My original intention for the thread wasn't really for it to be all weathery, so it's all good!

It's still early to really figure out what I think about Newfoundland culture - we haven't met many people yet, but there are definite differences in lots of things.

The accents are hard to get used to. Nobody else talks like Newfies. It's easy to understand most people, but there are a few moments where I'm like... I have no idea what you just said. I think it would be similar in parts of the southern US. Except that there are movies and stuff made about that area, and there's just not a lot of exposure to the Newfie accent in other parts of Canada (except Rick Mercer).
There's nothing like being surrounded by people who talk differently to make you acutely aware of how you talk.

Honestly, though, in terms of "culture" - globalization has taken care of so much of that. There are the same stores everywhere. There's Walmart and McDonalds and Wendy's. There's the ubiquitously Canadian Tim Hortons, Canadian Tire... etc. So, it feels like being in Canada.

The geography is so different from the prairies. I have never lived where there are so many hills!! I don't think I ever had to use the break on our stroller before. My legs are so very sore from walking up and down all these freaking hills.

I'm sure there will be more to come about the weather. The air is moist and nice. Late summer/fall is apparently the nicest time around here, so I'm enjoying it.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:22 pm

I drink a lot of tea.
I know the difference between poison ivy and virginia creeper.
I can tell a poisonous snake from a harmless one
I can swim
I am used to mosqiutos.
I know how to make my ears pop (meaning equalize the pressure during altitude changes)
I know to carry a light jacket in the summer if I'll be out after dark (sometimes the night wind is chilly)
I know how to drive in three inches of slush.
I can have a merry Christmas without snow, and I can wear short sleeves on New Years Day.
I can make about a dozen different casseroles. This is useful when someone's loved one dies. The rule is that you bring them food.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Hey, awesome, my original post said I'd never experienced a hurricane, but now I've experienced TWO!

...though the second one was pretty lame.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:39 pm

And how do you feel about hurricanes?
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:21 am

Okay, so here's the thing: Yeah, it's cold where I live. It goes down to -50 sometimes (and that's in both C and F). I know how to dress to survive it, even though I hate it sometimes (all the time).

I have no idea how to live in a place where it rains more then, say, five times a year.
Same with a hurricane.

So, how do you survive where you live? What are some essentials for the rainy coast or the frickin' desert?
I live in the muggy, swampy south--the part of South Carolina I live in is mostly wetlands, I also lived in New Orleans, LA from the age of 10 until I went to college. To survive the heat we have a wonderful invention these days called air conditioner. I don't think I know anyone who doesn't have at least window units, and most people have central air. There are also fans. You avoid spending much time outside in the hot part of the day (which is between 9am and 9pm) during the hot part of the year (between April and October, most of the time).

When you do venture out it is best to wear loose fitting, natural fibers like cotton. I find that two layers actually helps me feel and look better (undershirt to absorb sweat so it doesn't show through, gross, I know). Drink plenty of water (traditionally sweet tea, but I can drink sweet tea by the gallon and that isn't really very healthy), stay in the shade when possible. Go swimming. :)

When I spent a couple of summers in New Orleans with no AC in my car I got in the habit of taking an extra change of clothes with me wherever I went, also kept things like deodorant in my car, and towels to dry myself. (Those towels eventually became useful for another purpose: my sunroof liked to take on water, and store it in the back part of the roof, then when I'd start driving and stop the first time it would dump out a gallon or so of water on the driver or front passenger, depending on which way the car was tilted...)

Our winters are pretty mild and I'm usually comfortable with jeans and a jacket.

As for the rain, here it usually happens in the afternoons or in the late evenings, and for the most part when it is pouring it will stop within an hour. You either just wait it out or just go out in it with an umbrella. If you have to drive just keep it slow and be cautious (not 5 miles an hour, but if you're in town 25-30 if it is torrential rain, no speeding for sure). Sometimes it can get bad enough that you need to turn your hazard blinkers on to be seen, or you might just want to pull over and wait it out. It probably will let up in 10 minutes.

Hurricanes you evacuate for if you are living on the coast or in New Orleans. We always evacuated from New Orleans, I evacuated from Hattiesburg, MS, even (mostly because I was in the dorms and they would have made us sleep in the hallways and a bed in a cabin at a state park is much nicer than the floor of a dorm hallway... Oh yeah, my family liked to evacuate to state park cabins because they weren't as packed as the hotels, and it was much more peaceful.) Tornados... We get, but not terribly often. In Mississippi we got quite a few of them but I never actually was in one (that I know of, sometimes I'd be driving down the interstate to work and come through some torrential rain and strong wind, then on my way home there would be a new swath of trees missing at that spot...).

Anyway, that is how I survive. I don't like the heat. I hate it. I've lived in the deep south almost 32 years now (my whole life) and I still hate the summers. I hate them with a passion. But I survive.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:49 pm

So far, knock wood, no tornadoes have really come that close to me in tornado alley. However, we do have, courtesy of my husband, one hell of a tornado survival kit in his old Marine duffel bag. Including a crowbar and all kinds of first-aid goodies. We also have an emergency alert/weather radio. And we refuse to move any place that doesn't have a basement.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:08 pm

[ To survive the heat we have a wonderful invention these days called air conditioner. I don't think I know anyone who doesn't have at least window units, and most people have central air

I think the first time I ever heard of someone not having air conditioning I was shocked. You might as well have told me they had no running water.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:25 pm

[ To survive the heat we have a wonderful invention these days called air conditioner. I don't think I know anyone who doesn't have at least window units, and most people have central air

I think the first time I ever heard of someone not having air conditioning I was shocked. You might as well have told me they had no running water.
Same. The number of people who would die from the heat here without some access to it is pretty high. And before people start bemoaning their humidity being much worse than our dry heat and calling us wimps, keep in mind your humidity makes your temperature higher overall but generally still lower than our highs without it and dehydrated is dehydrated, whether the air makes you feel suffocated or not. The heat is dangerous and I can attest to many a days of feeling physically ill from it.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:42 pm

I would never call you a wimp. I could not survive without air conditioning either (or at least would not to live without it). Yes, humidity feels horrible but heat is heat at some point. Humidity can just make a normally comfortable temperature, like 75, feel gross.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:48 pm

The thing about dry heat is you can get dehydrated very rapidly without realizing it cause you don't sweat as much.

I don't care what people say about dry heat, I'd rather have humidity.

I still remember getting off the airplane when I went to Salt Lake City in July and feeling like I had walked into an oven. :P
Pweb member since 2000

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Same. The number of people who would die from the heat here without some access to it is pretty high. And before people start bemoaning their humidity being much worse than our dry heat and calling us wimps, keep in mind your humidity makes your temperature higher overall but generally still lower than our highs without it and dehydrated is dehydrated, whether the air makes you feel suffocated or not. The heat is dangerous and I can attest to many a days of feeling physically ill from it.
Yeah, I'm still shocked that there are folks without AC in the civilized world! (Also, I don't knock people who live in extremely dry heat, I honestly don't know how you can stand it.)

So, after talking about how to drive in the heavy rain... We got a BAD one. I was at the drive through ordering, opened my window and before it was all the way down I closed it, in the few moments it was open part way I was totally soaked from head to toe. Then driving back it was pretty hard to see, there was flashing lightning trying to blind me, and all the roads were turning into rivers. I had to go the really long way around to get home, and even then wasn't sure I'd be able to get there. My apartment is in a low area in a city that is at the confluence of two rivers, forming a third, lots of waterways and floodplains. (On a side note: I have always lived in very watery places...) There were rivers of water flowing across the road, there were rivers of water flowing down the road. There was water everywhere.

When I got to the underpass under one of the railways and saw an SUV stalled with water up past the bottoms of the doors I decided that I should go the other way, I think my entire Nissan would have been underwater had I tried to ford that.

I should have taken my earlier advice and pulled off the road to wait it out, rather than risk getting stuck. I was soaking wet and annoyed, though, and kept at it. Folks: Don't do it, stay off the road when it is flooding.

Also: Whoever designed the 1997 Nissan Altima made it so that when you hit puddles/rivers/lakes of water some sprays out to the side like you expect, but a goodly bit of it somehow sprays out in front and then back over the car, all over the windshield.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:01 pm

feeling like I had walked into an oven. :P
I actually love this about living here.

I want AC but everywhere here overdoes it. I freeze in my home, at work, at friends' homes, in restaurants, theaters, etc. I freeze everywhere but I know all it will take is stepping outside and I'm going to be comfortable. Standing in the heat can and most often does feel like being wrapped in a fresh out the dryer blanket on a very cold day and although I can't properly describe it, the feeling of the heat soaking into my skin and bones when I step outside is just amazing.

But you're right about it being hard to tell that you're dehydrating. My worst case of it was last year, when I thought it was still too early in the year to have to do my yardwork in the morning instead of being able to get away with it in the early afternoon. I was only out for an hour and felt fine, wasn't sweating much, went inside, made it to the kitchen sink, lowered my head just a tiny bit and it hit me hard. I felt sick to my stomach and was feeling really dizzy, really fast. I turned, stumbled for a few feet, then passed out while calling out to my mom and falling into the side of the pantry. I wasn't out for long but when I made it to the couch a few moments later, my world was spinning and I thought I was going to throw up.

I've had some minor issues this summer while riding my bike with feeling like I was going to throw up but nothing nearly as bad as the story I just told.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:15 pm

I've learned to bring a sweater almost everywhere; movie theaters, restaurants, etc, because their air conditioning is always too cold. In the summer, I keep my central air at a comfortable 78 with a ceiling fan on. My family thinks I'm crazy because they keep their houses at 68.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:46 pm

*High five for Nom* I'm comfortable at upper 70s as well.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”