Fan Survey

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
katielibertine
Launchie
Launchie

Fan Survey

Postby katielibertine » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:04 pm

Hey guys! I'm Kate, and I crawled here from the Hatrack forums. I've got a survey for you guys, if you don't mind me cutting-and-pasting.

Despite the enthusiasm of the fans I've talked to online and in the real world, Ender fan participation on the internet seems surprisingly lacking, given the breadth of the universe and the complexity of the characters. Considering the active nature of other fandoms, even obscure ones, I was surprised at the lack of organized discussion and fan-created literature and art. I'm trying to figure out why this is, so I've come up with a list of basic questions to try to pinpoint the demographics of the fandom.

So! If you guys would fill this out this short survey and add any opinions you might have about the online Ender fan community, here it is! You can answer all of the questions, or only a few; any input at all is appreciated.

Approximate location:

How old were you when you first read Ender's Game?

Have you read Speaker and the other Ender novels?

Did you read Speaker for the Dead and the other Ender novels immediately after Ender's Game?

If no, how old were you when you read Speaker?

Have you read Ender's Shadow?

If so, how old were you when you read Ender's Shadow?

Do you consider yourself part of the Ender fandom?

Do you consider yourself a part of any other book, movie, comic, television series, or videogame fandoms? If so, please list them.

Is the Ender fan community your primary fan community? If not, which is?

At what age did you begin using the internet?

How would you describe your general internet usage? How many hours a day or week do you spend online?

How much of this time is devoted to fan-related discussion?

How much of this time is devoted to Ender-related fan discussion?

At what age did you become involved in fan-related internet activity?

At what age did you become in Ender-related internet activity?

How would you describe your participation in the Ender fan community (Avid, moderate, silent)? Please elaborate.

How would you describe your participation in your other fandoms?

Where does the Ender series rank in your list of fandoms?

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart?

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart?

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart for the Ender series?

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart for the Ender series?

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in the Ender series? If so, please list them.

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in any of your other fandoms? If so, please list them.

Describe your offline fan activities, if any. This includes real-life discussions of books, movies, comics, videogames; participation in conventions; cosplay; and reading, watching or playing the original material of your fandom(s).

How much of your offline fan activity is devoted to the Ender series?

How much of your internet fan activity leaks into your real-life fan activity? Do you talk to your real-life friends about your fandoms and your activity in them?

What drew you to the Ender books?

What drew you to seek out fellow Ender fans on the internet?

How, in your opinion, does the Ender fan community differ from the fan communities for other books, comics, movies or video games?

Do you have any thoughts on the Ender fan community in general?

Feel free to add any information you feel is relevant, or to discuss anything the questions may have missed. This information will not be used for anything but my own informal research, and names/usernames will not be disclosed or taken into account. This is really just to help me and the rest of the Ender fandom understand more about itself! We seem to be a relatively small but desperately dedicated group, so I hope all of you who fill out the survey try to be as thorough as you can.

Anyway, I'm really excited to have found this place; I'd started thinking that Hatrack was the only corner of the internet for Ender fans.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 pm

Y halo thar, Kate.

Approximate location:
36 degrees, 8.6 minutes North by 115 degrees, 15.7 minutes West (Las Vegas, NV)

Yes.

Did you read Speaker for the Dead and the other Ender novels immediately after Ender's Game?
Yes

Yes

Not really.

Do you consider yourself a part of any other book, movie, comic, television series, or videogame fandoms? If so, please list them.
What is "fandom"? I enjoy them, but I do not actively seek out and look to engage in any fanfiction/discussion of anything.

PWeb is my community.. just so happens to be related to Ender's Game.. I never browse those forums.

How would you describe your general internet usage? How many hours a day or week do you spend online?
A day? Not in school: 12+; In School: 5+

Typically zero.

Typically zero.

I was quite involved in Dragon Ball Z when I was 12.

How would you describe your participation in the Ender fan community (Avid, moderate, silent)? Please elaborate.
Silent. As stated above, I don't often browse the Ender forums or participate in them. I will talk with people about Ender's Game and related books however.

No other fandoms.

Top, I guess.

Fanart.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in the Ender series? If so, please list them.
Petra/Bean

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in any of your other fandoms? If so, please list them.
Nope.

Describe your offline fan activities, if any. This includes real-life discussions of books, movies, comics, videogames; participation in conventions; cosplay; and reading, watching or playing the original material of your fandom(s).
Zero.

Zero.

How much of your internet fan activity leaks into your real-life fan activity? Do you talk to your real-life friends about your fandoms and your activity in them?
Nope.

I spoke with someone about gravity and it's relativistic effects on time and the Ender's Game series came up. Read every book released at the time. Ender's Game is what really made me start reading books.

Movie/Interpretations/New Book Ideas.

How, in your opinion, does the Ender fan community differ from the fan communities for other books, comics, movies or video games?
You don't often see Ender fans dressing up like their favorite characters... but I imagine it is like that for a lot of books. There are a lot of Ender fans, but it is probably overshadowed by books like Harry Potter.

Good group of people from what I know if them. ;)

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:12 pm

Approximate location: Winnipeg MB Canada

Yes

Yes

Yes

If so, how old were you when you read Ender's Shadow? 19

Do you consider yourself part of the Ender fandom? Sure.

Buffy, Neil Gaiman, DC Comic book heroes.

Yes, but only for attachment to the people here, I care more about the others.

12ish
Frequent - probably 5+ hours online on an average day (spread out in spurts)

Very little, maybe 15min.

Not much.

12ish

I Moderate, but mostly because I care about the people in the community and not the actual fandom.

Infrequent.

3rd.

Ew, no.

Ew, no.

Ew, no.

Ew, no.

Not really.

Not really.

I attended a Comic Con recently, I have informal discussions with friends.

None.

Rarely.

An ex-boyfriend loved them and told me to read them.

I like forums, so I joined one about OSC.

Not much, I think most fan communities end up like this one - people drawn together by a "Something", ending up as a group of people who are friends/aquantainces.

I think that pweb has become a shadow of it's former self and therefore is mostly just a group of people who hang out online.

NOTE: I had a bit of trouble with this survey because I don't really consider participation on this forum to be "fandom" related.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Valentine » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:11 pm

Approximate location: Knoxville, TN

How old were you when you first read Ender's Game? 14

Have you read Speaker and the other Ender novels? 14 onward

Did you read Speaker for the Dead and the other Ender novels immediately after Ender's Game? Yes

If no, how old were you when you read Speaker? n/a

Have you read Ender's Shadow? Yes

If so, how old were you when you read Ender's Shadow? 17

Do you consider yourself part of the Ender fandom? Sure

No other forums to speak of, based on a particular movie/book/show/etc. However, I am a general movie fanatic.

Yes

14, roughly

Ridiculously high, LOL. Over winter break, I've averaged 6-8 hours a day or so :P Typically it's more like 2-3 hours a day, though.

Very little; I mostly use general discussion threads in the forum.

Again, very little.

15, at Fresco

15, again at Fresco

Moderate, probably. I go back and forth from constant posting to none at all

About the same. I do the same with various film boards.

2, after film, I suppose.

No

No, but I used to help write the Ender Epic here, if that counts, LOL

Nope

Nope, again, unless the epic counts. But I was so young...15/16

Not the way I have in other books.

Errr, I really wanted a Harry/Hermione relationship when Harry Potter first came out, until it was painfully obvious it wasn't happening.

I talk about movies a lot, lol. I love to read, and I'll discuss books with anyone who's ready them. I have most video game consoles. Again, nothing really obsessive (mostly film, lol), but I'll discuss things I enjoy. I also have several TV shows I watch religiously, lol.

Very little to none.

LOL, yeah, I do. My family and friends (mostly) know about pweb. None use it, though, at least not anymore.

They were on a school reading list for us to choose roughly 10-20 books from each year to test on. I happened to pick Ender's Game because a lady at Borders HIGHLY recommended it, saying it was the best book she'd ever read, and her whole family loved the series.

Actually, I was really intrigued at the thought of the book becoming a film. I'd always been really into film and acting and such, and I wanted to see if anyone else had that idea. Also, I wanted other fans opinions on the book, and certain parts of it. Finally, I just wanted someone to talk to. The books were so excellent.

This community is so closely knit. Everyone knows everyone, and we all come back to it (mostly, lol) no matter how long we're gone. Most of us talk on the phone, or on AIM, fairly often. I've even met several pwebbers, and plan to meet more in the nearish future. It's closer than any other board I've ever been to.

I think everyone on pweb and hatrack is amazing, and I love the communities we have.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:23 pm

Approximate location: Waco, TX

How old were you when you first read Ender's Game? 14 or 15

Have you read Speaker and the other Ender novels? Yes

Did you read Speaker for the Dead and the other Ender novels immediately after Ender's Game? Yes

If no, how old were you when you read Speaker? 14 or 15

If so, how old were you when you read Ender's Shadow? 14 or 15

Do you consider yourself part of the Ender fandom? Yes

Uhm.. I guess Tamora Pierce, Harry Potter, Veronica Mars, Lost, Kushiel

Is the Ender fan community your primary fan community? If not, which is? Uhm. I don't know that any of them supercede others

At what age did you begin using the internet? 14 or 15

How would you describe your general internet usage? How many hours a day or week do you spend online? During breaks, probably 6-10 hr/day. During school, 1-4 hr/day.

How much of this time is devoted to fan-related discussion? very little

How much of this time is devoted to Ender-related fan discussion? even less

At what age did you become involved in fan-related internet activity? 15 or so

At what age did you become in Ender-related internet activity? 15 or so

How would you describe your participation in the Ender fan community (Avid, moderate, silent)? Please elaborate. It used to be avid, now it's somewhere between silent and moderate

How would you describe your participation in your other fandoms? About the same

Where does the Ender series rank in your list of fandoms? None really supercedes the other

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart? No. I hate fanfic. Gross.

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart? No. I hate fanfic. Gross.

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart for the Ender series? No. I hate fanfic. Gross.

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart for the Ender series? No. I hate fanfic. Gross.

Not really. EG isn't about relationships to me.

Veronica/Logan
Phedre/Joscelin

I make friends read Ender's Game. that's about all.

All, basically.

People know that I post here and at sheroes, and have been for 6 years. But I talk about the community, not the books.

They were reccomended to me by a friend.

What drew you to seek out fellow Ender fans on the internet? I was bored.

How, in your opinion, does the Ender fan community differ from the fan communities for other books, comics, movies or video games? It doesn't really. At least, not the other community I'm part of.

Do you have any thoughts on the Ender fan community in general? I love it here!
-Kim

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:35 am

Approximate location: *points to left*

Yes

It was less than a year later.

Yes

Yes

Harry Potter (moderate, really)
Star Wars
Daria (less so now, but pretty big 7-9 years ago)

It's the only one for which I've joined a forum. I have lurked/do lurk at SW and Daria forums.

This varies;the computer is on all day and I come and go, sometimes sitting in one place for hours.

Very little. I read the book part of this forum but comment only when annoyed at lack of search/reading skills, typically.

Hardly any.

15. I was drawn to the internet for Daria stuff.

17 or 18, but I couldn't find much.

If we're strictly talking interaction with other people on this board, avid. If you mean to discuss EG itself, rare.

Silent; I lurk every couple weeks/months.

First for participation, probably a close second to overall appreciation.

I used to do both for Daria when I was 15.

No to the first but I used to hunt down Daria pictures to use as models when brushing up on my sketching abilities.

No, and yes, when this forum had a site that had it.

No and no.

Actively? Like, write their names with hearts and stuff? No. Did I mentally root for pairings when reading the books? Peter and Wang-Mu, Miro and Jane.

Rooted for: Han Solo and Princess Leia, Harry and Ginny, Daria and Trent

Reading: I read EG or an Enderverse book at least once a year, I'd say.
Watching: I watch SW quite a bit on Spike/HBO.

I don't discuss anything because no one I know in meatspace likes Sci-Fi/Fantasy enough to read/watch, let alone discuss.

Close enough to none to comfortably say none.

Very little to none. I definitely don't talk to my meatspace friends about my online activities.

My 9th grade English teacher. It was required reading.

I was avoiding studying for a final while in college, looked up to stare into space, saw my Ender's Saga books on my bookshelf and decided to Google Ender's Game. Saw Pweb (way cooler back then), read a bit of it, saw something on the forum that I thought was wrong, and registered to set the poor sucker straight. Basically, it was caused by procrastination.

Basically, I think we're less fanatical and a little more jaded than your average fanbase (less so than SW fans, though).

This one in particular is small and I mostly like it that way.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Re: Fan Survey

Postby zeroguy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:50 am

Despite the enthusiasm of the fans I've talked to online and in the real world, Ender fan participation on the internet seems surprisingly lacking, given the breadth of the universe and the complexity of the characters. Considering the active nature of other fandoms, even obscure ones, I was surprised at the lack of organized discussion and fan-created literature and art.
Gut reaction when I read this is OSC's reputation/politics may have slightly deterred some of these kind of people. Or, tongue-in-cheek response: we just attract saner internet people. :D
You can answer all of the questions, or only a few; any input at all is appreciated.
Some questions cut out:

Approximate location: DC-ish, USA

11, I think, or 12; somewhere around there.

Yep, all novels except EiE (which I will do soon, I swear).

I may have re-read EG at least once before moving on. But I think I read the others relatively soon after.

I was probably 12 or 13.

Unfortunately.

I... do not remember. Maybe I posted about it on a previous pweb incarnation, and Alea can tell me.

I think you need to define the word "fandom" for this, but no, not these days. I haven't really even discussed Ender-related stuff at all recently.

Before I first read EG; not really heavily until around 13 or so, would be my guess.

Well, "a lot". But most of it's for work-related things.

None, lately. It seems like it's been awhile since I've even been a part of an Ender-related discussion on pweb.

Right before I was 14, I think.

I'd say I started off moderate and whiddled off to silent as time went on. I just don't see much in the discussions anymore.

I've seen some art, which I quite liked, actually. But I guess I never really go around looking for it. Fanfiction? Well, I read about a page of EiE so far...

Nope.

Nope. (Oh you wacky slashfic authors)

I don't know. Maybe cynicism towards the establishment. It "felt true" to me or whatever, that many people have probably said before. (Edit: if this is just "how did you first come across it", as the other responses seem to interpret it; I don't know, it was in our house.)

At first, just looking for information about the rumored EG movie. The info on specific details and stuff is what gave me some interest when I found what was here.

I'm fine with the way it is, honestly.
Feel free to add any information you feel is relevant, or to discuss anything the questions may have missed.
I will say I'm not much a fan of OSC himself, though I don't know how relevant that is.
Anyway, I'm really excited to have found this place; I'd started thinking that Hatrack was the only corner of the internet for Ender fans.
I think there's some other places besides just us two. Aren't there a couple of Ender-themed MUDs out there somewhere?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:50 am

Hi Kate, welcome, the CA should be around with Limeaid shortly, if not yet offered.

Pweb used to have more fan created art and other works, as well as being a news source for Ender and OSC related information. unfortunately there was a crash back in 2006 and since then the forum has been pretty much all that has survived.

We've never had fan created literature as OSC is pretty defensive about his copyright. for all his pissing and moaning about JK Rowling overstepping her bounds (she didn't) with the publishing of the lexicon, we'd have been sued just as forcefully if we'd ever tried to publish our encyclopedia in book form, for example. OSC is very anti-fan-fiction, and frankly a lot of the mods were when we built this place, so Enderverse fan-fiction has never had a presence or welcome here.

there isn't really an Ender presence in the larger SF and con community because OSC is persona non grata with both, for the most part.

As for organized discussion...
are you familiar with the internet? organized discussion of forum posters is like herding cats, it doesn't really works and you'll probably just get scratched or sprayed.

presuming this is either for school, or you're a poor PA or asst assigned to do some research and gather information about how extensive and rabid the fan community for Ender is to gauge whether or not there's real interest.
-------------

Approximate location: L.A.

How old were you when you first read Ender's Game? 15

Did you read Speaker for the Dead and the other Ender novels immediately after Ender's Game? Yes, though there were only three others at the time.

Have you read Ender's Shadow? Yes, the day it came out.

If so, how old were you when you read Ender's Shadow? 16

Do you consider yourself part of the Ender fandom? Yes

Do you consider yourself a part of any other book, movie, comic, television series, or videogame fandoms? If so, please list them. Not to a degree that I regularly follow the goings on. but I consider myself a fan of Harry Potter and Star Wars, I definitely used to be a member of the Star Wars fandom pre EG days.

Is the Ender fan community your primary fan community? Yes

At what age did you begin using the internet? 12 or 13

How would you describe your general internet usage? extremely heavy, because it's always at hand while I'm working, so 50 hrs plus other time, probably close to 80-90 hours online a week.

How much of this time is devoted to fan-related discussion? a fair amount

How much of this time is devoted to Ender-related fan discussion? fair amount

At what age did you become involved in fan-related internet activity? 16

At what age did you become in Ender-related internet activity? 16

How would you describe your participation in the Ender fan community (Avid, moderate, silent)? Avid, I helped build this site and am still around, though I was on hiatus, essentially, for much of college.

How would you describe your participation in your other fandoms? perfunctory or cursory at best.

Where does the Ender series rank in your list of fandoms? 1 of course. :D

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart? Once I did art, never fan-fiction though.

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart for the Ender series? Unless you count Ender in Exile and the IGMS stories as fanfiction, I don't read it. again fanart depends on what we get that goes up. :)

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in the Ender series? If so, please list them. Mwahahah. you may prompt the beginning of sarcastically diabolical shipping around here. Bean/Peter! LOL No, I've never seen active shipping taking place in the ender community. EVER.

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in any of your other fandoms? Before Goblet of Fire was published I thought Harry and Hermione were better suited for each other. I was anti Harry/Ginny until Half Blood Prince was published, I never shipped those, however. It always seemed silly.

What drew you to the Ender books? It had the Tor logo on the spine and I wanted to read something sci-fi that was not star wars, anne mccaffrey or old like asimov or clarke.

What drew you to seek out fellow Ender fans on the internet? Probably hearing about the movie and googling it. I came upon the ender forums at the time (fresco and hatrack) by accident while looking for info.

How, in your opinion, does the Ender fan community differ from the fan communities for other books, comics, movies or video games? It's smaller

Do you have any thoughts on the Ender fan community in general? Pweb is the greatest. :D
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:27 am

Approximate location: Albany, NY

Yes

Speaker was the only one that had been written, I had to wait for the rest

N/A

Yes

When it came out

Yes

Not really

Yes

20 (it was 1996)

3-4 hours/day

15 minutes

15 minutes

Moderate

None

One and only

No

No

No

No

No

I don't think I have any.

I went to Endercon.

I talk to RL people about pweb friends.

Ex-BF gave me EG.

I saw an announcement for pweb on the main page of hatrack when it opened. I had never been a member of the hatrack forum because it was too big but I was able to join pweb from the beginning.

I don't know because I don't belong to any others.

Nope. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:26 pm

Approximate location:
Ontario, Canada

Yes

No

17, I think?

yes

17, I think?

yes

-Star Wars
-Anime
-Dune

Hard to say. It changes depending on my mood

probably 13?

I'd describe it as frequent. Usually 3-4 hours a day, if surfing while I'm working counts.

Varies greatly. Anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple of hours a day.

Anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple of hours.

19?

19?

Moderate, in that I've been a regular poster here for over 5 years, though I haven't exactly racked up the post count of some of the other regulars. Oh, and does actually being acknowledged in 2 of the books for helping OSC with continuity issues count? ;)

Sporadic. Depends on my mood.

Again, depends on my mood. Usually jumps to the top when a new book is coming out.

No

No

No

No

No

No

Occasional discussions with friends, as well as reading/watching material of my fandoms.

Not much

Not much

My brother read Ender's Game in high school and made it sound really interesting. I didn't actually read it myself until several years later.

Boredom? Curiosity? I honestly don't really remember.

Generally, it's a more intelligent and tolerant group of people than most other fan communities I'm familiar with.

I wish it was bigger, although then it might lose some of its charm.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:57 pm

Approximate location: New York, New York

I was sixteen years old.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I read it when it was first published in 1999, so I was 17.

Not really anymore. I was at one time, certainly, but as others before me have mentioned I mostly stick around for the people I've met through this site.

I love the Whedonverse (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dr. Horrible, and most likely Dollhouse when it airs). I also am definitely a part of the Harry Potter fandom.

No. I don't really have one anymore, but the one I was most involved in was Harry Potter, definitely.

I spend a LOT of time online. Several hours a day, sometimes for work, but most often it's personal use. My boyfriend doesn't have internet though, and we usually spend weekends at his apartment. So about 5-6 hours 4-5 days a week. Yikes.

None.

None.

When I was 15 I joined a Harry Potter email community (yes, we didn't have forums back then. We just had massive email chains). I was on one for the musical RENT as well.

Not until my freshman year of college; I was 18.

All of the above? When I first joined I posted a lot about the books. And then I posted a lot about myself. And then I posted less about either. I don't know...I almost never think of this as an Ender's Game forum anymore.

I was a pretty avid HP fan back in 97-99. I was in on all the latest news, I read the big fan fictions (as a result of this, I witnessed the Cassie Claire drama AS It HAPPENED! I never liked her stuff though. Mena Barnes' "Hermione's World" was and still is a trashy guilty pleasure, and I, of course, worshipped Lori Summer's and "The Paradigm of Uncertainty" and the fics that follwed). I also had a decently trafficked HP website that is long-gone now.

I don't know? It really doesn't anymore.

Harry Potter fanfiction and fanart, both. In general, the art is more enjoyable than the fic. I read Mary Sues to amuse myself. Pottersues is in my livejournal feed.

I can't draw, so no art. I have written a few intentionally horrific "badfics" for the annual contests at Pottersues.

No.

No.

No.

Absolutely. Ron/Hermione.

I've had huge Harry Potter debates in person, including a 20 person conference with all of my coworkers at Writers House Literary Agency in which I vehemently declared that book 7 is complete rot. Whenever new books came out for HP my friends and I would attend the midnight parties to get copies as soon as possible. Something I did from book 3-6. I got the 7th off Amazon and still have little twinges of regret about it.

None, really. every now and again I'll recommend it to someone.

Well, a lot of my friends share those interests. So there's definitely a cross-over, I suppose.

An ex-boyfriend who HATED books gave it to me just before leaving to go into the marines, and told me that it was "the only book he'd ever loved." So I read it.

I was in college and felt alone and absorbed and romantic and defiant all at once. I googled "philotic twining" to see if anyone ever had anything interesting to say about it, and found this site.

It doesn't, really. There's a bit more of the sci-fi geekiness, and perhaps a larger pull of young people than one would expect for a book not marketed toward young people. But that's understandable.

Nope.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:22 am

Hi Kate, welcome, the CA should be around with Limeaid shortly, if not yet offered.
Oops! I am ashamed.

Welcome, Kate, have some limeade on behalf of the Canadian Alliance.
OSC is very anti-fan-fiction, and frankly a lot of the mods were when we built this place, so Enderverse fan-fiction has never had a presence or welcome here.
I'm unsure of how much this would really affect it. You don't generally see the authors of these kinds of things very wary of copyright law. On the other hand, though, the largest gatherings of the Ender fanbase are here and OSC's site, neither of which are very welcoming of such works... so that could very well be it. I do recall someone coming here once, sharing some fic of theirs or something, and getting a bit of an unkind response.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:59 am

Approximate location: AK

13 I believe

Yes

Yes

Yes

13 (6ish months after the Ender books)

Sure, though not incredibly active in it...

Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings

Not really, but I couldn't say which one is. My fan-ness has dwindled lately.

10-11, probably

I spend a lot of time online. At least an hour a day, usually more.

Basically none

Except lurking here and reading a handful of topics in the Enderverse section, none.

12-13 (curse Mugglenet!)

Moderate-silent. I was more involved when I first got into the books, and when SotG came out. Back then I'd actually get on Hatrack.

I was quite devoted to Harry Potter, from about 2003-2007. I lived on Mugglenet. Midnight releases, making HP scarves, etc.
Now, I'm pretty much a nonparticipant all around.

Nowadays, there isn't enough fan in me to rank any of them. The Ender series probably has my most serious devotion--HP is more nostalgic now.

I've read/viewed a bit, but never obsessively.

No.

I've looked at fan art in the past, briefly.

No.

Not really.

I rooted for Ron/Hermione, but I never got into passionate arguments over the issue.

I used to discuss HP constantly, back when there were things to predict. I've never done the convention thing. I still go back and read the Ender books, HP, and LotR when I feel like it. And I watch the movies from time to time.

Not much, except rereading the books, and occasionally praising how amazing EG is when I see someone reading it.

None. I don't think any of my friends no about Pweb. And the only time other fandoms (i.e. HP) come up, it's when there's some breaking news.

My oldest brother was reading them, and they looked intriguing, so I joined in.

I was looking for EG/ES pictures/info for a book report and stumbled on Pweb.

It's less intense.

It's fine. I like it.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:25 am

Approximate location: Lethbridge

How old were you when you first read Ender's Game? 14

Did you read Speaker for the Dead and the other Ender novels immediately after Ender's Game? yes

Have you read Ender's Shadow? of course

If so, how old were you when you read Ender's Shadow? 15

Do you consider yourself part of the Ender fandom? yes

Do you consider yourself a part of any other book, movie, comic, television series, or videogame fandoms? If so, please list them. I am a huge fan of the Templar Trililogy by Jack Whyte as well as his Dream of eagles series

Is the Ender fan community your primary fan community? If not, which is? Yes

At what age did you begin using the internet? very young

How would you describe your general internet usage? How many hours a day or week do you spend online? a LOT. like, 45-50 hours a week. im on here more than im at work

How much of this time is devoted to Ender-related fan discussion? a few hours a week

At what age did you become involved in fan-related internet activity? 15

At what age did you become in Ender-related internet activity? 15

How would you describe your participation in the Ender fan community (Avid, moderate, silent)? Please elaborate. i am definitely not as avid as some, but I am not as moderate as i think.

How would you describe your participation in your other fandoms? nil

Where does the Ender series rank in your list of fandoms? 1

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart? star trek fanfic

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart? tried once, failed miserably, im much more creative with my own ideas

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart for the Ender series? There is no published fanfic as far as i know, as for fan art, just whats up here, or used to be. there were some Sywak drawings I remember

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart for the Ender series? no, thats blasphemy

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in the Ender series? If so, please list them. I like the Peter/Wang-Mu relationship in Children. I also like the Bean/Petra relationship throughout the Shadow series

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in any of your other fandoms? If so, please list them. umm...

Describe your offline fan activities, if any. This includes real-life discussions of books, movies, comics, videogames; participation in conventions; cosplay; and reading, watching or playing the original material of your fandom(s). i talk about the books with my girlfriend, I read a War of Gifts to My daughter this christmas

How much of your offline fan activity is devoted to the Ender series? not much, i dont have friends

How much of your internet fan activity leaks into your real-life fan activity? Do you talk to your real-life friends about your fandoms and your activity in them? at work when its really dead

What drew you to the Ender books? an audioplay someone was playing in the barracks at military training camp when I was 14

What drew you to seek out fellow Ender fans on the internet? i dont know, i was just searching for ender's game on google and this popped up, in like, 2003

How, in your opinion, does the Ender fan community differ from the fan communities for other books, comics, movies or video games? i dont really know. i am not really part of any other communities. well, facebook and soundclick but they are geared toward other interests. I guess thats just it, this site is geared toward EG freaks like us, whereas soundclick is for musicians and facebook is for networking.

Do you have any thoughts on the Ender fan community in general? I think we're the most devoted science fiction fans out there. waiting almost ten years for a movie proves something.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:43 pm

I am way out of the age range of your poll. :P

Age: Old enough to be the mother of almost everyone who has answered so far.
Approximate location: da South.

How old were you when you first read Ender's Game? 40-something, IIRC (or late 30s).

Have you read Speaker and the other Ender novels? Yes.

Did you read Speaker for the Dead and the other Ender novels immediately after Ender's Game? Yes.

Have you read Ender's Shadow? Yes.

Same as above.

Do you consider yourself part of the Ender fandom? Yes.

Stephen R. Donaldson, Harry Potter, Garth Nix, His Dark Materials, Firefly, Cowboy Bebop.

Is the Ender fan community your primary fan community? If not, which is? Yes, pretty much.

At what age did you begin using the internet? 30's to 40's, don't remember exactly.

How would you describe your general internet usage? How many hours a day or week do you spend online? 2-6.

How much of this time is devoted to fan-related discussion? Very little, now, maybe a couple hours a week at most. Used to be more.

How much of this time is devoted to Ender-related fan discussion? See previous comment.

At what age did you become involved in fan-related internet activity? 40's.

At what age did you become in Ender-related internet activity? 40's

I came for the Ender discussion, stayed for the community. I tend to lurk a lot here and only pipe up occasionally at Pweb and Hatrack.

How would you describe your participation in your other fandoms? Same as above.

Close to the top for the original Ender series. I am less enthused about the Ender's Shadow series.

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart? I dislike fan fiction.
I enjoyed some of the fan art that used to be available for viewing on the original Pweb.

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart? Absolutely not.

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart for the Ender series? I do not read fan fiction. I have only viewed fan art as stated above.

No.

I went to Endercon. I discuss books, movies with many who also have an interest.

How much of your offline fan activity is devoted to the Ender series? Very little.

How much of your internet fan activity leaks into your real-life fan activity? Do you talk to your real-life friends about your fandoms and your activity in them? Sometimes.

What drew you to the Ender books? My sister gave me the first 3 books as a present.

What drew you to seek out fellow Ender fans on the internet? My daughter found Pweb after I gave her the original Ender's series and she finished reading it. She encouraged me to join. I jumped to Hatrack from here.

This is pretty similar to other fan communities I've been involved with in that people came for common interest in an author/book and stick around to discuss everything under the sun.

I have met a lot of great people though this community.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:32 pm

Approximate location: N/A

14 or 15, I can't remember

Yes, all but Children of the Mind

No, I read the Shadow Series first.

About 16- I read them one after another, so after reading Shadow of the Giant I immediately went to Speaker.

Yes.

Between 15 and 16

Yes.

Yes, I consider myself a minor of the Artemis Fowl fandom- but extremely minor.

It is.

11 or 12, I think.

I spend minimum 2 hours a day on the internet.

About half an hour- highly divided in my time on the internet.

Nearly none.

When I joined the internet- Yu-Gi-Oh discussion. (Hey, I was 11! Don't judge me! =) )

After I read Shadow of the Hegemon (or was it Shadow Puppets?), and found out about PhiloticWeb in the back. (About 16)

Silent; I don't discuss much.

Nearly non-existant.

First.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

None, save for the occasional discussion of the books with people who've just read the books.

Nearly all of it, but I don't have much offline fan activity.

None of it.

Great recommendations from friends. (And also, the Ender books worked recursively on me: each book made me want to read the next one)

Sheer amazement from Ender's Game, and need to talk about the amazing things that I have just read.

I have no clue.

They're one of the most fun communities I've ever belonged to =)
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:54 pm

RE: OSC and his opinion on copyright -- didn't we once have a fairly innocuous thread where people were posting character descriptions or plot ideas or somesuch thing and get a request from the Cards that the thread be locked/removed? And what was being written, as I recall, was not even really fanfic or such. This would've been a few years ago. Anyone else remember that?

~~~~~~~~~~
Approximate location: Midwest, USA

How old were you when you first read Ender's Game? 12 or so

Did you read Speaker for the Dead and the other Ender novels immediately after Ender's Game? No, I found SftD randomly in a bookstore when I was 16. It was very exciting.

If no, how old were you when you read Speaker? 16

If so, how old were you when you read Ender's Shadow? I'm not sure, probably 20?

Do you consider yourself part of the Ender fandom? Not really. Other than my membership on this forum, and I rarely participate in actual Ender-related discussions here. When I first joined, I was very involved in the Ender part of the forum.

Nope.

Is the Ender fan community your primary fan community? If not, which
is?
Yes.

At what age did you begin using the internet? 15ish

More than I'm probably willing to admit :) Probably 10-12 hours per week or more. Yeah, more.

Minimal. Although, probably .25 - .5 is pweb-related, but that's not really the same as fan related, I don't think.

See above.

Formerly moderate, for the past several years silent.

None

Where does the Ender series rank in your list of fandoms? Only

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart? Nope.

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart? Nope.

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart for the Ender series? Nope.

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart for the Ender series? Nope.

Ew, no.

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in any of your other fandoms? If so, please list them. Nope.

Describe your offline fan activities, if any. This includes real-life discussions of books, movies, comics, videogames; participation in conventions; cosplay; and reading, watching or playing the original material of your fandom(s). None, other than reading the books occasionally. Actually, very occasionally. Been a couple of years. My liking for OSC has taken a dramatic decline as the years have passed.

I can't divide 0 into 0.

No, not at all. When I first joined, I did tell another friend about it and I introduced a couple of people to Ender's Game/SftD

What drew you to the Ender books? My cousin gave me Ender's Game for Christmas when I was about 12, and I loved it. I related to Ender and found the book exciting and fascinating. When I was older and read SftD, I just fell in love with the idea of a human with that sort of compassion and empathy.

What drew you to seek out fellow Ender fans on the internet? I was lonely and bored and living by myself for the first time, and I saw Pweb in the acknowledgements of a Shadow book. So I went to it and started posting. And it turned out I kicked ass at Ender trivia, so I stayed :) Pretty quickly, it became more about the community and people here than the books. I joined at Hatrack and posted there briefly, but didn't feel the same sense of welcome or have the same sort of niche, so I left it.

How, in your opinion, does the Ender fan community differ from the fan communities for other books, comics, movies or video games? No basis for comparison.

Do you have any thoughts on the Ender fan community in general? Nope.

Feel free to add any information you feel is relevant, or to discuss anything the questions may have missed. I've felt the quality of OSC's writings have diminished a great deal, starting with CotM and then really in the Shadow series. This in addition to my greater familiarity and disagreement with his political views (which creep more and more into the writing) has led me to distance myself somewhat from the actual writings. I'm not nearly the fan I would be if he had stopped after CotM.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:17 pm

Kirsten: I believe it was diary entries written by Battle School kids--but the catch was that the character had to be completely original. No characters OSC ever mentioned in any of the books.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

mazer
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Rackham

Postby mazer » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:43 pm

Approximate location: atlanta, roughly...

Yes

Almost there were one or two months in between

Yes

I used, not much any more Im trying to change that now...

It is.

Probably ten or so

Too many :wink:

I don't know....

Used to be moderate I think....

Non existant

number 1

no

no

umm I would consider myself an enders game evangalist so I get everyone I can to read the book

201%

My sister had to read it for school so I read it after her cause I was out of books... I was ahead of the class when I had to re-read it this year

I dont rember.... oh yeah I was looking the back of speaker for the dead ( I think it was speaker it may have been a different one) and I saw a reference to philoticweb and hatrack so I went to hatrack and couldnt figure it out so I went to Pweb

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:07 pm

Approximate location: Canada

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Doctor Who
Due South

I guess so, because of Pweb and Hatrack. I came for the fandom, stayed for the fans. I spend more time actually thinking about Doctor Who, probably.

14?

A lot.

Not much.

Not as much, these days.

18 (You might notice a pattern by now.)

Moderate

Silent

I'm not sure. They don't really "rank," it's just a matter of what's actively airing/printing at the time.

No

No

No

No

No

Not usually

My younger sister and I sometimes geek out about things. Currently it's Hellboy. I've been to a couple Hatrack/Pweb meet-ups, if that counts.

Not much

No, but I tend to make real-life friends of Ender fans

The stories were about people

Curiosity

They seem to tend toward generating real-life friendships

I find it weird when I run into fans who don't know about Pweb or Hatrack
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:08 am

Approximate location: About an hour south of Seattle, WA.

I was 15.

Yep.

No, didn't regain interest until a friend started reading them some months later.

A couple months older.

Yes.

Not so much. More of just Ender's Game then any of the other books.

Do you consider yourself a part of any other book, movie, comic, television series, or videogame fandoms? Harry Potter, Scrubs, some Final Fantasy, and some Anime.

Is the Ender fan community your primary fan community? I'm way more into other things, but this community is the one i'm most involved in.

Er, 12-13?

How would you describe your general internet usage? When I was younger I could easily spend six hour at the computer and not move. Now it's more like an hour or two.

A little, I have friends into the same things as me.

None.

Around 14 I joined a Harry Potter fan site.

Holy cow, almost five years ago.

How would you describe your participation in the Ender fan community (Avid, moderate, silent)? Moderate, and none of it is actually related to Ender.

I was really into my Harry Potter site, was one of the big people over there.

3rd, probably.

I use to read a bunch of fan fiction, it was horrible.

Nope.

No.

Nope.

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in the Ender series? Eh, not so much.

I was Ron/Hermione all the way.

Tons of Harry Potter stuff. I've attended midnight parties for just about everything. My group of friends would ditch school on the day of the movie releases and catch the first showing.

None.

I mean, people leak more then the actual fandom itself.

Required reading freshman year.

I thought it was a good book and googled it.

I feel like we're a lot more mature in some ways. Well, in my fandoms, most ways.

Nope.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”