New Year's Resolutions!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

New Year's Resolutions!

Postby Young Val » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:16 pm

Subject pretty much says it all. I've never made real resolutions in the past. (I did resolve to quit smoking on January 1, 2007 but that was just a coincidence. And speaking of--happy almost 2 years smoke-free to me!!!)

But in 2008 I watched a lot of my friends and family put a lot of hard work, time, and care into bettering their lives and themselves. David and I have been talking recently about things we want to do and be in our lives, and I feel really inspired and (most importantly) really ready to do the work required to make changes.

There are lots of things I've WANTED to be different in my life...just not to the extent that I was willing to exert myself to get results.

This year, though, I'm going all in.

Here are some of my resolutions, not just for 09, but for the foreseeable future. What are yours?

1. Work to improve my health. This includes eating proper portions, eating more fruits and vegetables, and getting more exercise.

2. As a benefit of improving my health, I resolve to lose weight. I have a long term goal in mind that I'm not ready to share, but my short-term goal is to fit back into my leather jacket, which I hope to do by the end of March.

3. Resurrect "date night" with David. This kind of fell by the wayside over the last few months, and I'm definitely missing it! Time to get it back!

4. FINISH MY NOVEL. This is a resolution every year but this time it's going to get done. At this point, it's just laziness. I WILL NOT BE LAZY THIS YEAR!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Valentine » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:21 pm

*hugs Kelly* No smoking for 2 years is amazing. Congratulations.

My resolutions:
1) Be more healthy. Eat right - less carbs, less candy; Start to workout; all that typical New Years Resolution mumbo-jumbo.
2) Ease up on the procrastination.
3) 4.0 this semester. Anything less will not suffice.
4) See more movies.
5) Not let the little things get to me.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:57 pm

1. work out, either crossfit or something else, but regardless get those last 9 lbs off to be under 200. :-P and in general just be in better shape, more so than any particular number on the scale.
2. read more, my reading has fallen off lately
3. off nights onto day, progress in my career and maybe get onto my dream show, barring that get into the union on a network fiction show.
4. finish writing a script, finish editing a different finished script, write a couple more scripts and maybe shoot a short over the summer
5. pay off the last 1400ish on my one high interest student loan.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:02 pm

1. Finish my dissertation. Work on it at least 4 hours per week till it is done.

2. MEMORIZE THE LOVE SONG OF J. ALFRED PRUFROCK (I am very annoyed with myself for not accomplishing it this year.)

3. Read the book on Narrative therapy and start incorporating it into my sessions.

4. Work out and eat better :) No, really. Join a gym of some kind (preferably one with a pool.)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:22 pm

The only resolution that I ever made was a couple years ago and that was to control my anger. I went amazingly well for the longest time, but s*** has kind of hit the fan as of late. So I think I will re doing that one. I would love to start working out but I really have just not have the energy since starting my job. Maybe somewhere done the line in 2009.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:32 am

1. Finish my diet, and stay thinner and physically active.

2. More of a hope than a resolve, since I don't know how much it depends on me- finally get a lady love. (A side effect of that resolve is being more self-confident)

3. Finish English Speakers class with at least a 90, and computers with at least 92.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:56 am

I have a hard time with lists of New Year's Resolutions. Mostly because I love setting goals. I am a goal setter from WAY back, and sometimes I even manage to keep some of them. I never know how to structure these things, however. Prevailing wisdom suggests that they should be details and organized with enough specificity that benchmarks of success can be easily and objectively measured. This almost always results in one of two things, however: 1) for an otherwise benevolent or legitimate reason, you decide to revise your goals or your resolution is no longer appropriate, or 2) you fail one of the details and then the whole thing falls to hell -- afterall, you broke your resolution, why keep trying?

So, perhaps, I will try a new tack this year and make one general resolution which has, as sub-sections, different ramafications.

I am going to better use my time this year. Conversely, I am going to waste less time.

How?

Health: Continue to eat well. Don't be crazy about it, but continue to be consciencous about the things I buy and eat. Limit refined sugars. Eat good proportions of proteins, vegetables, and fruits. Drink more tea. Continue to work out, but attempt to make it more regular, like a habit. Consider hiring a once-a-week trainer to pump this up a bit more. Swim. Start climbing. Maybe pick up a new sport, like tennis. Take more yoga classes.

Writing: Put aside a little time every day for writing. Revise some of those short stories that are sitting there. Jot down just a hundred words or so as often as possible. Better utilize the dead times of the day to brainstorm or plot or generate ideas. Remember that novel you're kicking around? Start to actually jot down some of the plot. Figure out the world building. Decide on a magic system. Critique more regularly. Read analytically. Submit work again. Continue to read publications and blogs and forums about the industry so as to not lose touch.

Work: Things in this department are going pretty well. Be more understanding of other peoples' limitations. Study for the boards coming up in September. Establish a more regular work day so that you can plan life better.

And other things: Keep playing piano. Read great books. Go to the movies. These are not wastes of time. What are wastes? Endless loops of CNN and MSNBC. Serial games of Spider Solitare. A marathon of Property Ladder on TV. You get the idea.

So, I reiterate. I am going to make better use of my time this year. I am going to set some goals, but I am also going to be flexible. And I am going to do it.

mazer
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Rackham

Postby mazer » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:59 pm

1. Read more i havent read anything since this summer :shock:

2. attempt to actually do my home work even if the teacher dosent care if I do it or not

3. actually work out on a regular basis (I have a amazing lack of muscle)

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:28 pm

Keep on keepin' on.

Actually, 2008 went well. There's very little I would want to change. My grades are good. I'm satisfied with my weight and my health.

But, my resolution: To re-become the alpha animal in my household. (Boot my cat from this position.)
-Kim

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:38 pm

oooh I just came up with a good one:

6. Watch all the films to win best oscar for editing I've not yet seen, there's only twelve of those left. so see the following movies:
1934 Eskimo
1940 North West Mounted Police
1943 Air Force
1944 Wilson
1947 Body and Soul
1948 Naked City
1949 Champion
1950 King Solomon's Mines
1966 Grand Prix
1969 Z
1974 Towering Inferno
2001 Black Hawk Down

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:07 pm

1280x1024

(I think I may have stolen that joke from someone here...)
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:15 am

Eriador, maybe? I think it was in someone's signature for a while; it was 1920xsomething, though, if I recall correctly.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:09 pm

6. Watch all the films to win best oscar for editing I've not yet seen, there's only twelve of those left. so see the following movies:
2001 Black Hawk Down
Wha What??? I have seen a movie that Adam hasn't!!! My mind is boggled. 2009 is way too crazy already.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:18 pm

I didn't make a resolution or goal, not really, this year but I did decide, a few days into the year, to have a mantra/statement: Do things the right way (hopefully the first time, but if I fail or failed in the past, try again). It's purposefully broad, so that I can't claim something won't fit (like taking care of myself physically, general diet, etc).
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:47 pm

While I continue my resolution from last year, I mark this as the beginning of my other resolution, as I strive to participate in this community. The members of pweb have been and are a good part of my life, and a good part of the changes I've gone through. So now, after a couple of years, it's time to actually participate! Plus, it fits the overall resolution that I hope to hold company with those whom (who?) I respect.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:52 pm

that was one of my resolutions last year! more pweb time, and look how awesome that was. :)

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:37 pm

2001 Black Hawk Down
Wha What??? I have seen a movie that Adam hasn't!!! My mind is boggled. 2009 is way too crazy already.
I had the same thought about King Solomon's Mine. How can it be that ADAM hasn't seen such a classic like that?
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Return to “Milagre Town Square”