Do I really sound like that?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:31 pm

Man, Alea, your voice is not at all how I figured it would be. I don't really know what I was expecting, but that was not it. It's a very nice voice, of course! Just not what I was hearing, apparently.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:15 pm

Likewise. That is SO not what I imagined, Alea. Despite what I said earlier about not really imagining people's voices, yours I thought I had a pretty good fix on. Wow. Different.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:20 pm

Hehehehehe, Enjoyed all of that. Yup, yes I did. Actually, almost all of the recordings matched up the way I imagined all of you guys. In a good way.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:44 pm

To most: You sounded just like I imagined. Although I'm not sure if I imagined a voice for you before or your voice just fit your appearance/personality.

Jan: I would say you have a slight Canadian accent. Mostly came off as normal/non-accented to my ear but with certain words you sounded Canadian.

Meg: I'm not sure what I expected, but that wasn't it. This may be because I don't know you as well as some of the others/ I can't pull a mental picture of what you look like. (Have you posted pics?)

Alea: Definitely not what I expected. I know I had a thought of what your voice sounded like, but for the life of me I can't remember it now that I heard your actual voice. Your voice comes off as very thoughtful, which is definitely fitting.

I definitely want to do one, but I is a little too late for that right now.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:01 pm

Meg: I'm not sure what I expected, but that wasn't it. This may be because I don't know you as well as some of the others/ I can't pull a mental picture of what you look like..
I had the same reaction, and I was also leaning towards the possibility that it was because I don't know her as well as the others...but then it occurred to me, no one sounded how I expected (except Syphon, who I'd heard tons of in the past -but who also didn't sound the way he looked to me initially).

And now I'm wondering what I should sound like since basically everyone who has not talked to me on the phone said the same for me.

Also, Adam, did you forget to do yours today? I've already heard you but I'm sure everyone else would like to as well.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:09 pm

Meg: I'm not sure what I expected, but that wasn't it. This may be because I don't know you as well as some of the others/ I can't pull a mental picture of what you look like. (Have you posted pics?)
No I haven't. I don't really do the pictures thing. My BFF tries to get me on webcam to show me his tattoos and stuff and I attempt to hide. But now I'm curious as to what my voice "sounds" like/how you'd picture me, lol.

I just watched a 3 year old video of me and my old best friend being stupid. My voice, I wanted to injure it.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:18 pm

*chants* POST. A. PICTURE. POST. A. PICTURE!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:59 am

Also, Adam, did you forget to do yours today? I've already heard you but I'm sure everyone else would like to as well.
No time. I intend to do it before everyone else arrives, but I've got a bucket load of stuff to do in terms of server maintenance and file management tomorrow morning and if I manage to get it all done before anyone shows up I will endeavor to make a recording of some sort.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:18 am

me

thought about doing my donald duck voice but decided against it.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:21 pm

That's not phone-you. Besides sounding deeper, you also sound more serious and that much at least really isn't your style.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:12 pm

me

thought about doing my donald duck voice but decided against it.

Awwww :(
for some reason i was expecting you to sound like Dexter Morgan :shock:

:wink:

Note: it's because in one of your pics in the pic thread i thought that you looked a lot like him XD

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:12 pm

sigh
that stupid show.

I don't think I look like him, but everyone thinks I look like a serial killer.

I suppose there's some comfort that I look like a good serial killer. :D

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:24 pm

I suppose there's some comfort that I look like a good serial killer. :D
*nodnod*
That's exactly how you should look at it :wink:

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:45 pm

*BUMP*

Yeah, I know this is pretty random, but I just happened to be thinking about the supposed Canadian accent that Americans invent when they hear us talk. It lead me to conduct some research from some highly respected and reputable sources; those being, tv tropes and youtube.

Firstly, as explained below, aside from in Quebec and Newfoundland most Canadian accents are virtually indistinguishable from American ones.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ianAccents

Secondly, there's this Canadian girl I found on youtube who talks about it. To my ear she has no Canadian accent. I'm curious what Americans think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS60w2vgAkM

This girl also discusses a lot of the differences between American and Canadian English.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE-142DC ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0dIigQy ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O7ReJMp ... re=related[/i]
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:19 pm

Secondly, there's this Canadian girl I found on youtube who talks about it. To my ear she has no Canadian accent. I'm curious what Americans think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS60w2vgAkM
Huh, sounds interesting.
So, the other night I was out--
Oh, yeah, there it is. She doesn't have an "extremely Canadian" accent, but hey, it's there. I laughed when she brought that up later, but she was absolutely right. "Out" as in "loud," etc.

On a slightly different subject, something that is extremely odd and I can't place is that it seems Idahoans and eastern Washingtonians, at least, tend to pronounce "both" as "bolth," and then my research (a Google search of "bolth accent"!) led me to this amateurish post site about a "Seattle" or just more general "Northwest" accent. I have no idea how the rest of America pronounces the words and phrases on that list, but it made me laugh, at least.
Last edited by Mich on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Row--row.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:25 pm

Yeah, even I noticed the way she said "out". I think she was just being overly self conscious about not sounding stereotypically Canadian.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:29 pm

Yeah, even I noticed the way she said "out". I think she was just being overly self conscious about not sounding stereotypically Canadian.
Yes, this. I heard that right away and didn't trust the rest of the pronunciations (and honestly I was getting confusing without seeing the written words). I heard that not as a "Canadian accent" but as a "Canadian-not-trying-to-sound-Canadian accent"; which I've definitely heard before :)

I've definitely heard stereotypical Canadian accents from people from Wisconsin and other northern states, but I'm actually not sure if I've really listened to many Canadians talk.
On a slightly different subject, something that is extremely odd and I can't place is that it seems Idahoans and eastern Washingtonians, at least, tend to pronounce "both" as "bolth,"
I'm kinda ashamed I know this.... but there's a scene in "Red vs Blue" about this, in episode 14 from around 0:52 to 1:17.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:38 pm

Yes, this. I heard that right away and didn't trust the rest of the pronunciations (and honestly I was getting confusing without seeing the written words). I heard that not as a "Canadian accent" but as a "Canadian-not-trying-to-sound-Canadian accent"; which I've definitely heard before :)
I meant it the other way. I think she was trying too hard when she said "out" so she actually ended up exaggerating her own pronounciation. The rest of her speech sounded like any other average Canadian to me, which is to say, pretty much the same as an American.

*shrug* I just don't get it, because if we Canadians have as much of an accent as you Americans say, you guys should sound just as weird to us. But aside from the obvious ones like Texans or New Yorkers most Americans sound as non-accented to me as most Canadians do. Maybe I just have a lousy ear for accents.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:21 am

Part of why we don't hear generic American accents so distinctly is because so much of our media is American.

As for a Canadian accent, Jack Chambers would say that in any urban setting in Canada the accent is the same as any other urban Canadian setting. Also, regarding that tvtropes link, it isn't just folks from the Maritimes who think Torontonians slur "Tarana". It's the whole of Canada who thinks that (or they do when they hear someone from Toronto say their city's name).

But then, I can't compare to my own accent, because everybody thinks I'm from England, or Ireland, or some such place. I've known two older Irish folks who assumed I was Irish. I have no explanation because I sure don't think I sound Irish.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:33 am

On a slightly different subject, something that is extremely odd and I can't place is that it seems Idahoans and eastern Washingtonians, at least, tend to pronounce "both" as "bolth,"
I'm kinda ashamed I know this.... but there's a scene in "Red vs Blue" about this, in episode 14 from around 0:52 to 1:17.
Heh, knew I had heard an argument about this somewhere! Thank you, zero, for being the reference that even beats Mich.

Row--row.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:35 am

But then, I can't compare to my own accent, because everybody thinks I'm from England, or Ireland, or some such place. I've known two older Irish folks who assumed I was Irish. I have no explanation because I sure don't think I sound Irish.
You really don't. Not like a Dubliner, at least. You have the weirdest accent ever.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:17 am

This is how they talk here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_CM63zS ... re=related

Some are thicker then others. The caretaker for our building called us yesterday and we have little/no idea what he was saying. They all sound SO different. And they say different things.

Some guy on the street tried to talk to me about the weather and instead of saying something along the lines of "Wow, it's sure muggy out", he said "But it's a sure bit muggy and close there, right?"

It's going to be a fun ride.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”