Relationships aren't *all* bad...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Relationships aren't *all* bad...

Postby anonshadow » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:22 pm

... just 95% bad. :lol:

Now, on a serious level--

I hope this doesn't offend anyone who's going through a terrible break up and makes them all sad and unhappy, but I feel sad that PWeb has no positive relationship thread!

I mean, some of us have to be in good relationships, right?
Last edited by anonshadow on Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:47 pm

I can honestly say that my fiancee and I are having a totally amazing time with our relationship. I mean, hey, we're engaged arent we? We get nit-picky back and forth quite a lot, but thats only natural, and we always have fun wherever we go. We go to school together an have a great time when we see eachother. We hate her mum(who lives with us) equally much. And we so totally alike in all the right ways. Hell, our first names even rhyme. So ya, we are definitley doing alright and I cant wait till we are married(but thats still far off, we need to finish college yet).

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:49 pm

no offense taken. i look forward to posting in here some day.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Re: Relationships aren't *all* bad...

Postby zeroguy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:27 pm

I mean, some of us have to be in good relationships, right?
And some of us are just so beyond the breakup that thinking about the good memories doesn't hurt anymore.

I like this thread, because it reminded me to think of the better memories with my ex. Usually all I can remember is hurtful stuff, and things I did that make me cringe, etc.

Hmm, usually I can hardly believe some of the bad memories actually happened, but now I'm remembering some of the more incredulous good ones, too. There was one instance where I planned and executed (with help) a semi-complex way of asking her to some dance or something (non-public, but slightly sophisticated). I can still barely believe I did that; just thinking about it makes me very nervous. I was nervous then, too, but it went off very well, and the rest of that night was quite nice.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Re: Relationships aren't *all* bad...

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:01 am

He got me the sweetest birthday card for my birthday, too... it turns into this giant poster that says, "I love you, honey!"
Heh, those are cool. My sister got one of those for our mom for her birthday.
The enemy's fly is down.

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:51 am

Hey I used to have one of these....

okay, i guess, like kel, i look forward to having one again......in a long, long time.....when she comes begging me to take her back and i stupidly do or something like that....
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

pooka
Soldier
Soldier

Postby pooka » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:33 am

I'm coming up on my 16th wedding anniversary this December. I think our key to staying real is that we never picked out a song. Maybe. Maybe my husband is an incredibly dedicated guy who puts up with a lot of craziness from me. :)

primevere
Launchie
Launchie

Postby primevere » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:13 pm

I have been with my fiance for a while now and all I can say is that it has been the greatest adventure of my life. We met a year before we got engaged but I feel as though I have known him all my life. Sure we live together and spend all our time together and some times argue about the little things, but I couldn't ask for anything better in my life.
WSNBM/ONBP

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:52 pm

my husband is an incredibly dedicated guy who puts up with a lot of craziness from me. :)
As much as I give him flak, my boyfriend is actually a really terrific, sweet guy. He deals remarkably well with my terrible hypersensitivity, and with my tendency to overreact to the most ridiculous things. He's also starting to figure out how to cope with my tendency to argue with things just to be contrary.
i sense the beginning of a trend.

My fiancee and i are doing very well, we argue now and then, but mostly about dumb things when she's being crazy and i'm not in a mood to tolerate it. but she's always crazy and i'm pretty used to dealing with crazy cuz all the women i know are crazy. so i put up with her craziness with ease usually.

anyway, when we do fight it's almost always cleared up by the next day. usually earlier than that.

we're exceptionally happy and even somewhat enjoying the whole marriage preperation deal.
Ubernaustrum

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:54 pm

It's so much easier to write about negative stuff then about positive, ya know? What is it about misery that makes it more interesting?

Paul (aka Caspian) and I have been married for just over 2 years now. There are so many little things I could list that I love about him, and about being married to him... but I won't go on and on.
I can say this, though. The glue of our relationship is laughter. We spend the majority of our time laughing together- even at the serious stuff. We've had alot of fights dissolve just because one of us says something so over-the-top that we both end up laughing.

The pweb connection:
When we were just friends, I made him read Ender's Game, just before we started dating he bought me Shadow of the Hegemon and left it in my dorm room secretly. After we started dating, he told me out of the blue one day: "Hey! Did you know they might make and Ender's Game movie?" to which I replied "Hah. What website did you find that on? Philoticweb.net?"
"yeah"
"Did you check out the forum?"
"no."
"well, check it out and while you're at it, check out the top ten posters. I'm one of them."

He did. And the rest is history.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

primevere
Launchie
Launchie

Postby primevere » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:59 pm

In relationships I have noticed, the littlest things the other person does makes you fall inlove with them all over again. Take for example when I have a very s***** day my fiance would go out and buy me a small bag of my favorite candy. It is soo cute and how he creeps up behind me and may at times freak me out, always makes me smile.. God! I love him.
WSNBM/ONBP

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:39 pm

I have a habit of being sweet when I don't have to, and being a monster when someone is sweet to me. I'm sure there is a name for it.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:43 pm

psycho?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:10 pm

psycho?

i kinda adore you, jan. you make me laugh when i haven't laughed in days.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:41 pm

psycho?
That's the one.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Petra
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby Petra » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:19 am

I'm late to class because my boyfriend was feeling cuddly and wouldn't let me out of bed. Somehow, I don't mind all that much.
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Petra » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:56 am

Alright, all you happily-dating people. I have a challenge for you.

I've been dating Ryan for... two or three weeks now, depending on when you start the count. (Jeez, has it been that long?)

His 21st birthday is November 9th. Just long enough for me to be expected to get a good present, but not long enough for me to know what's good to get him. Help me think of something! Keeping in mind, of course, that he has much too much money for his own good and anything that he feels he wants, he usually already has bought for himself.

Some ideas: tickets to the Reel Big Fish concert on December 1 ('cause that's only three weeks after his birthday, so it isn't like I'm giving him tickets for March and assuming I'll still be around then), or a flask ('cause it's 21, for goodness sake, and we had a funny incident on the night we started dating that involved Halloween Horror Nights and a makeout session where he "pick-pocketed" my flask so we could get it past security).

Yes? No?
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:04 am

Good luck. I've been with Mark for 2 years now and still never know what to get him for gift-giving occasions.
-Kim

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:53 am

Ooooh, the gift-giving dilema. My sympathies.

How expensive are the Reel Big Fish tickets? The issue I see is the strangeness of spending a lot of money on someone you've been with for 2-3 weeks. That might come off as a little... something.

If they're not too expensive, I'd probably go with that, provided you don't see your relationship on the rocks.

Of course, the flask greatly appeals to my sense of humor.

So maybe go with that.
Last edited by anonshadow on Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Petra » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:47 pm

I hate being the one to have to establish the gift-giving status quo. Especially with a guy who's so hard to read.

Tickets are actually kinda pricey, $40 apiece. But I know that we're both going to end up going to this concert, because we love the band. And I think it's one of his top five bands. So it would be a good present, and I don't see our relationship ending so terribly within three weeks of his birthday that we wouldn't be able to still go to the concert.

But you're right. The flask appeals to my sense of humour, too.

I'll probably end up getting the tickets.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:33 pm

I'm quite proud of the gift I'll be giving my boyfriend for Christmas. It'll never happen again that I find it particularly easy or fitting, but I think once is good enough for me. :)

If you can afford it, I'd go with tickets.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:46 pm

tickets. cuz Reel Big Fish rock :D
Ubernaustrum

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:54 pm

I went to a Reel Big Fish concert that lasted an hour with no encore, what a jip.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:22 pm

are you ever happy about anything jeebsy?
Ubernaustrum

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:25 pm

When Dobie posted?

And from a random guy's point of view, either of those presents seem fine. Personally, I'd go with the flask, but it doesn't matter.

dgf hhw

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:23 am

see, me? i'd go with the flask. i like gifts that mean something, even if they aren't flashy or expensive or even if i'll have to explain it to everyone but the recipient because no one else will get it.

my favorite gift from my ex, in the three years we dated, was not any of the expensive stuff he got me, tickets to things, or gift cards or whatever.

my favorite gift was a little pocket-sized notebook with a pen tied to it. that was just the size to put in my bag. because whenever we'd be out somewhere, i would inevitably get a story idea, and have nothing to write on, or nothing to write with.

it was the most meaningful, thoughtful gift i'd ever recieved. because he'd paid attention, noticed something about me, and gotten me something not only useful, but very perceptive and totally sweet. probably cost $5. but i loved it so much more than the $200 gift certificate he got me a year later.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:28 am

That little anecdote reminded me.... I think the best gift I've received in a relationship was a water bottle. (As in, the sturdy kind; a Nalgene ripoff.) I'm not sure if that says something about thoughtful gifts (I drink a lot of water, and usually carry some container around with me all day), or just that I'm partial to liquid containers. But in any case, come on, a flask is cool.

dgf hhw

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:33 am

one of the first birthday gifts i gave my fiancee was free but it's still one of her favorite gifts that i've given her. essentially i rerecorded the first song we ever danced to. it was an involved process of me playing each part seperately and then qeueing them to play at the same time. thank god for soundforge. :D anyway, i had my best friend (and bass player in my band) man the computer. it was one of our first attempts at overdubbing. there were three guitar parts, a bass part, a keyboard part and 2 vocal parts. too bad that at the time i didn't have access to a drumset. and the end result was shoddy in comparison to the type of work i produce today. she loved it though, which is all that matters.

its a little bit hard to top that gift. i don't like giving the same type of gift more than once. so i will probably never give her the gift of another song for her birthday or anything. though i did write a song to have played at our reception. (when that's ready i'll post a link to is so everyone can hear it)
Ubernaustrum

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:31 pm

Could you give him tickets and the flask? Both gifts seem awesome.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:06 pm

You said you are likely to be going to the concert anyways... so giving him the tickets as a gift seems like a null gift. Get him the flask which is something he will get to keep.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:28 pm

Last edited by anonshadow on Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:01 am

I have a habit of being sweet when I don't have to, and being a monster when someone is sweet to me. I'm sure there is a name for it.
female.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:03 am

female.

aw... adam, that's not very generous.

some of us only post our insanity on the internet, and use the Game Face for the actual interactions with guys.

:D
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:46 am

I think I'll stay quiet on this...

Don't want to risk my neck.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:17 pm

he spent all day messaging my cell phone, too, with a lot of very sweet things...
[random] For some reason, I read that as "massaging my cell phone," and was rather confused....[/random]
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”