Best Star Trek Captain

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Favorite Star Trek Captain

Jon Archer
No votes
James T. Kirk
6%
Jean-Luc Picard
73%
Benjamin Sisko
12%
Kathryn Janeway
9%

Total votes: 33

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Best Star Trek Captain

Postby Hegemon » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:04 pm

I am a fairly big fan of Star Trek, in all of its various incarnations, and I was wondering who you think is the best captain of them all?

When voting, if possible, tell us who your favorite characters are. Can't do a poll on them because there are so many ones to choose from.

Nicholas
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nicholas » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:12 pm

Seven-of-Nine!!!
Seven-of-Nine!!!
~Nick

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:12 pm

I like Troi because she's a hot counselor. I identify with that. ;)

(kidding.)

(sort of.)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:23 pm

My favorite Captain is Picard and my favorite TNG character is Worf.

I will write about why later when I have some more time.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:27 pm

Sisko had style. And if there was a ship cooler than the Defiant I don't want to know about it.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:44 pm

Seven-of-Nine!!!
Seven-of-Nine!!!
Steady there with the one-handed typing.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:02 pm

No one is better then Jean-Luc Picard. Patrick Stewart is the only true actor of the bunch.

Favourite (non-captain) is Data. I love the Data-centred episodes, and I bawled at the end of Star Trek:Nemisis.

TNG is the best. All others pale in comparison.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:05 pm

Agreed. Picard is the best, hands down. Janeway was decent, she was an interesting character, and she had the nerves-of-steel thing down, but she wasn't Picard. Archer, frankly, was something of a joke, and Kirk was just amusing. Sisko was alright, but too broody, in my opinion.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:08 pm

I also voted for Picard. I have the hots for Patrick Stewart.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:22 pm

I can't choose. They all have things going for them... Except for Janeway. She was a terrible Captain, and I think my jaw dropped when she was introduced as an admiral in Nemesis.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:37 pm

Janeway was decent, she was an interesting character, and she had the nerves-of-steel thing down
Bah, Janeway; what an annoying bitch.

Well Patrick Stuart may have been the better actor (not that I think Avery Brooks was bad, he did a pretty good job in American History X, if I recall correctly) DS9 was the best Star Trek series. It felt more like a complete story with a beginning, a middle and an end, and the various plot arcs felt like they were all connected together with a more deliberate purpose then the other series.

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:55 pm

Picard hands down.

As for Sisko, I just don't see what other people see in it. People tell me that James Avery is a good actor, but he just makes me want to change the channel. He breathes through his nose much too strongly and his only emotion is "intense".
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:18 pm

Nobody will EVER beat Picard.

Speaking of Star Trek, JJ Abrams (creator of Lost, Alias, and director of Mission Impossible III) is currently writing another Star Trek movie. I think that will be awesome.

Salaam

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:47 pm

Picard only seems better because there were more seasons of TNG than TOS. I think Kirk was an amazing captain in the movies as well as the show, because he was always ready to break the rules to get the job done. Not saying that Picard was a bad captain, I'm just more partial to TOS. DS9 was awesome, especially since there were quite a few TNG characters that either guested or were full time on the show. Voyager wasn't too bad. And Enterprise is not Star Trek to me at all, to me it defies the original idea, because Kirk's Enterprise was supposed to be the first.

As well, Hegemon, you forgot to mention Captain Christopher Pike, who was the captain in the original pilot of TOS, called the Cage. He also appears in the takeoff episode(actually a two-parter) of the pilot called the Menagerie.

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bevis » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:08 pm

The only series I watched consistently was TNG so I have to vote Picard. My favorite character from that series was #1 (Reicher?) but I lost interest before Generations & Nemesis came out.

peterlocke123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby peterlocke123 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:17 pm

Picard for sure, although I really did like Voyager (with Janeway). She wasn't the best captain but it was an interesting series. I'll have to go find it and watch it sometime. I haven't seen it in FOREVER. Enterprise (with Archer) had an occaisional good episode, but nothing really memorable. IMO too many plot twists.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:06 am

Actually, I did not forget Pike. I only included captains that were

a) given their own series

and

b) was in more than a pilot episode and an episode based on recycled footage from a pilot

Otherwise I would likely have included the Captain of the NCC-1701-B seen for 5 minutes in Generations and the Captain of the 1701-C, seen in "Yesterday's Enterprise"

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:28 am

I guess you're right, i should probly stop being so picky about stuff.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:43 am

For the poll, I think Picard is the best captain, hands down.

As for favorite characters, I've always favored the "trying to be/understand humans" characters. Data would be my overall favorite, with the EMH and Odo not far behind. Other favorites include Q, Guinan, Quark, Barclay, and Neelix.
The enemy's fly is down.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:04 am

Neelix? Neelix?

Wow.

suminonA
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby suminonA » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:37 am

I like Jean-Luc, especially when he speaks French :D My entire vote for him.
As for the characters, I'll stick with the TNG and the Q being. It kind of reminds me of someone/something ... All powerful, inconsistent, vengeful yet interested in the mere Humans :wink:

As for Data ... He's HUMAN! Were you fooled by his "I'm an android" act? I've seen him in other movies too, I tell ya! :lol:

A.
It's all just a matter of interpretation.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:55 am

Sisko kicked so much ass. DS9 was the only show that felt realistic to me, quite similar to BSG in that respect.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:17 pm

I voted for Captain Picard. I'm not sure who my favorite character is. Probably Picard, Spock or Bones. (Those last two get some hilarous dialogue together.)
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:48 pm

Not a Star Trek fan. ;)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:02 pm

Not a Star Trek fan. ;)
Neither am I, but I'm inclined to vote for Janeway just to annoy Jebus.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:20 pm

:P

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:16 pm

I love Picard because of his willingness to stick up for his crew.

One of the episodes I saw most recently was the Sins of the Father, where he was willing to get personally involved with Worf's trial for being a traitor to the Klingon Empire, even willing to screw up a Federation Peace Treaty to do it.

Another episode that I saw pretty recently was the one where he refused to order Data to turn over Lal *data's android daughter* to starfleet command. In the episode he told the Admiral *I am not sure if that was his designation* that he felt it would be immoral to turn over Lal, and that if need be he would take the argument to starfleet command, even though that might have led to his losing his own command.

My favorite series overall was DS9 because that series I felt had teh most character growth of the ones that I actively watched (TOS, TNG and DS9... didn't watch Enterprise and I never got attached to the Voyager characters). I find that TOS has no character growth, because it stuck very closely to Rodenberry's dream of having cowboys and indians in space. TNG was great, but I found that most of the characters outside of Data and Worf weren't significantly devoled. DS9 on the other hand had more of a soap opera like quality. Odo, Kira, Bashir, Worf, Rom, Nog and just about everyone else in the series had a lot of character development and depth, at least compared with the other series.

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:17 am

I had to go with Picard, too, and it's a draw whether I like Picard or Data better as a character. My favorite episode was "Hugh"... there was just something about it that moved me.

Reticent
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Reticent » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:16 am

Picard was... how to say this... too perfect. He was and is the epitome of everything a Captain should be, to the very T. And the writers made him so cliche, because you know for a fact by the end of the episode, Picard would always do the right thing, solve the problem, and not really change (or, if the writers decided to mix things up, have a brief moment of character flaw, that was resolved in 5 minutes of discovering said flaw). If ever a model of a perfect person to live by from the Star Trek universe, Picard is the man.

Personally, Bill Adama kicks all these guy's hiney's as my favorite commander.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:04 pm

Favorite captian was Picard. Possibly because he was the first captian I really knew (I knew of Kirk but I never followed TOS until after I had started watching TNG. I started watching TNG something like two weeks before the final episode. Thank goodness for re-runs. Also I just love British accents. I did find it odd that a supposed Frenchman would have a British accent. Apparently in the future England invades France.

I can't watch Archer on Enterprise without expecting a holographic man to be next to him who no one else can see or hear except for small children and animals.

Favorite characters, in no particular order: Data (ok, he is my favorite ever), Geordie (I knew him from my years of watching Reading Rainbow), Worf (how can you not love Worf?), Odo, Jadzia Dax (Hotness. Ezrie or however it is spelled wasn't as cool but she was hot also so that was ok), The Doctor, Seven of freaking Nine *drool*.

Epi
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Epi » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:27 pm

I think the 'There are four lights!' episode cemented Picard as the best ever captain of all time... well that and Q, Vash, the Borg, the Klingons, and so many more episodes...

Plus Patrick Stewart is simply just the best actor to play a title character in all of Star Trek.
Epi's Anime Blog:
http://www.animeslice.com

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:52 pm

I think the 'There are four lights!' episode cemented Picard as the best ever captain of all time...
That one, and "The Inner Light."

Best. Episode. Ever. Of any series.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

pooka
Soldier
Soldier

Postby pooka » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:56 am

I don't know if Avery Brooks suffers from the same thing the other Captain actors have, which is this weird illusion that the show is about them, and everyone else is supporting cast. I mean, I guess it's what gave them the ability to act the roles. It was just funny to me that Shatner suggested that it would be powerful if he were the only one visible in Spock's death scene. Stewart's remarks on the Star Trek 25th anniversary special reflected a similar solipsism, and Mulgrew had that odd moment in Trekkies where she was discussing a preference for "Trekkers" over "Trekkies". Brooks, on the other hand, narrates Nova episodes in his real life.

But I didn't like Odo very much. My favorite character overall would be difficult to say. Worf is the most attractive, I think. Data is very interesting, but I have a soft spot for Q as well.

Epi
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Epi » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:37 am

I think the 'There are four lights!' episode cemented Picard as the best ever captain of all time...
That one, and "The Inner Light."

Best. Episode. Ever. Of any series.
Ah yes, I was going to say the one where he gets the flute, but I couldn't remember any character names or episode name for that one. Good call!
Epi's Anime Blog:
http://www.animeslice.com

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:42 pm

And "Darmok". Yeah, those are my favoirte TNG eps.

And how could I forget to list Q as one of my favorite characters.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”