Sonic Truth

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
-Bean
Launchie
Launchie

Sonic Truth

Postby -Bean » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:14 am

A friend of mine recently said something that stuck out to me. He played the song 'Into the Ocean' by Blue October, and as the song ended, he had about him a certain serene beauty. No, I'm not saying that I think my friend is beautiful, rather, the sense of peace and contentment, the silent rapture that he felt, that was beautiful. Sonicly Correct were the words he used to describe the song. He said that when every piece of a song just fits, flows together so well that you can't help but feel that the song is alive, the song is Sonicly correct.
But I have a different theory, a theory of Sonic Truth. You see, the right song, the right playlist, at the right time, can sometimes inspire in us more than even the most momentous of events. It can make you happy, it can make you angry, serene or energetic. The right song can be just what you need to pull you through a bad day, or turn a good day for the worse. That is Sonic Truth, music's inherant ability to inspire feeling in us. It is the way a certain song can describe one's mood, or one's character, better than they ever could with words. It consumes us, penetrating us to our very core. It encompasses everything that we are, everything that we would be, all of our hopes, dreams, and emotions. It makes us feel alive, or dead inside, and the right notes can explain the universe away, if only one has the sense to listen. That, is Sonic Truth

-Bean
The most important thing to know is that you don't know anything.
-Bean

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:09 am

You either have a fantastic ability to make pseudo-existential statements through the medium of your assh*le or you need to lay off the f*cking weed.

Very possibly a combination of both.

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:48 am

As I was reading this I was thinking that I couldn't wait to see what Jebus was going to say about it.

You know, Jebus, I was a little disappointed. :x
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:57 am

I was a little disappointed that this wasn't about Sonic the Hedgehog truth.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:03 pm

I was a little disappointed that this wasn't about Sonic the Hedgehog truth.
ALL I HAVE TO SAY:

Eggman??? Who is Eggman??? Who thought we had to dumb it down to Eggman??? Can children not pronounce ROBOTNIC any more?

He was a russian evil genius who made robots - DR ROBOTNIK.

And Sonic shouldn't talk. He's a blue hedgehog that runs really fast and becomes briefly invincible when he has enough rings and all seven emeralds - these he wins by being the ball in a giant pinball machine.

There is no way words can improve on that.

This is all I have to say on the subject.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:12 pm

5 ways to know that you're a true Sonic fan

This is the real Sonic truth.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:46 am

I have several friends back in ND who absolutely hate Sonic (the drive-in restaurant) commercials because they advertise food (particularly desserts) that look great -- but there are no Sonics in ND. Most of them have never seen a Sonic. Some have developed a conspiracy theory about the existence or non-existence of Sonic. So that's what I figured the thread would be about.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:17 am

Every county has one around here. The city my college is in (about 20 miles from my hometown) has 3. And they are delicious. Drinks are fantastic! You can invent almost anything! Also, you can put chili on almost anything they have. And the desserts really are as good as they look on TV.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:27 am

I have several friends back in ND who absolutely hate Sonic (the drive-in restaurant) commercials because they advertise food (particularly desserts) that look great -- but there are no Sonics in ND. Most of them have never seen a Sonic. Some have developed a conspiracy theory about the existence or non-existence of Sonic. So that's what I figured the thread would be about.
Yup, same here in NY. Dang those taunting Sonic commercials. I finally went to my first one when I went to Florida.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:00 am

Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:33 pm

That was my first thought on eggman. Goo goo gajoob.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Derwyddon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Derwyddon » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:40 pm

I think this thread has taken an appropriate turn.
Putting the P in Pweb since 2001

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:11 pm

5 ways to know that you're a true Sonic fan

This is the real Sonic truth.
Who's this 'amy' person?

Anything after the mega drive didn't happen.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:37 pm

Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:22 pm

My nephews were over earlier and in an attempt to tire them out (to make my life a little easier), we went on a run. I expected them to mention Sonic at some point over the course of the night, but I somehow wasn't expecting it when we were running, go figure.

When running, they had their arms to their sides and thrown back and were making noise as they ran. I asked what they were doing and they said they were playing Sonic and running super fast. One was Sonic, one was Knuckles and they said I was the yellow guy (Tails, who is more orange according to my source).

(Really, they just call ALL the characters Sonic and differentiate between them by naming colors.)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:59 pm

(Really, they just call ALL the characters Sonic and differentiate between them by naming colors.)
"Red Sonic," "Yellow Sonic," "Pink Sonic," eh? Reminds me of trying to explain to my nephew that Samus is a female bounty hunter that kicks Metroids' butts, but he insisted on calling her "Red Power Ranger."
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:25 am

Reminds me of trying to explain to my nephew that Samus is a female bounty hunter that kicks Metroids' butts, but he insisted on calling her "Red Power Ranger."
That there's already a Red Power Ranger doesn't pose a problem?

And that's so insulting to Samus. She could kick all the Power Rangers' asses. At least "Blue Sonic" and "Red Sonic" are in the same league.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:12 pm

Those commercials are on all the time. Sonic must be hoping someone will get hungry to the point that they start a franchise in North Dakota. There's no other reason to advertise up here. The closest Sonics (if they exist at all) are in Sioux Falls and the Twin Cities area.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Valentine » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:43 pm

The new DS RPG Sonic game "Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood" is actually really fun. It's the first DS RPG I've really gotten into since The World Ends With You (Other than FF IV).

Return to “Milagre Town Square”