Talk me out of...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Talk me out of...

Postby locke » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:17 am

buying a wii.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:38 am

Because you don't like fun, Zelda, easy pick-me-up games, or easily playing ancient Nintendo games.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:29 am

..because you need to spend your money on necessities like food and shelter.

(that's always our excuse)
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:48 am

Because you already have enough dust collectors.

Because you're 20-something and "Cooking Mama" isn't your cup of tea.

Seriously. My Wii has not played a game in the last six months. The last thing I did on it was install a homebrew loader and program Wii Solitaire on it. The only game I've really played on it is Zelda: Twilight Princess and that's even a gamecube game. If you're looking for casual, the Wii has casual. If you're looking for party games, I'd say splurge and get a PS3/360 with Rock Band as you'll have a lot more fun with that. The 360's price just dropped to $199 for the Arcade version. If you're looking to play good games on a budget, get a PS2.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:18 am

Because you already have enough dust collectors.

Because you're 20-something and "Cooking Mama" isn't your cup of tea.

Seriously. My Wii has not played a game in the last six months. The last thing I did on it was install a homebrew loader and program Wii Solitaire on it. The only game I've really played on it is Zelda: Twilight Princess and that's even a gamecube game. If you're looking for casual, the Wii has casual. If you're looking for party games, I'd say splurge and get a PS3/360 with Rock Band as you'll have a lot more fun with that. The 360's price just dropped to $199 for the Arcade version. If you're looking to play good games on a budget, get a PS2.
I completely disagree on its usefulness; we play on it almost every single night. Admittedly, we don't spend hours on it, but whether it's helping a friend beat any Zelda, or playing a game of Mario Party, or just turning it on and passing the remotes around for Wii Play or Wii Sports. Plus, it does play all GameCube games and you can Virtual Console most of the good games from ye olde tymes. I love my Wii. I'll admit, I wish that it had more power so that Rock Band hadn't been cut way down, and Guitar Hero doesn't look as nice as the other versions, and there are lots of crappy games that misuse the motion controls (Monkey Ball and Farcry being the first examples that jump to mind), but mine sure sees use.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:52 am

Because you'd far rather give the money to a noble cause (read: me) than spend it on a Wii, which are incidentally absolutely awsome

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:38 pm

I completely disagree on its usefulness; we play on it almost every single night. Admittedly, we don't spend hours on it, but whether it's helping a friend beat any Zelda, or playing a game of Mario Party, or just turning it on and passing the remotes around for Wii Play or Wii Sports. Plus, it does play all GameCube games and you can Virtual Console most of the good games from ye olde tymes. I love my Wii. I'll admit, I wish that it had more power so that Rock Band hadn't been cut way down, and Guitar Hero doesn't look as nice as the other versions, and there are lots of crappy games that misuse the motion controls (Monkey Ball and Farcry being the first examples that jump to mind), but mine sure sees use.
One thing I will agree on: The VC is AMAZING. If you want to play old NES, SNES, N64, etc games then yes, buy a Wii.

One thing I will not agree on: If it's just you, the Wii WILL get boring. If it's you and a regular other friend: The punching gaemz and the rollan raemz and the gimmicky gaems will probably get old. If you regularly host parties: I've heard that drunken Wii fun is quite a blast.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:10 pm

Because you'd far rather give the money to a noble cause (read: me) than spend it on a Wii, which are incidentally absolutely awsome
hmm good idea, part of my argument against buying a wii, three controllers, three nunchucks, a charging station, and four or five games was that I could be giving that money to Obama. I think I'll probably wind up doing that and buy myself a wii on/after election day if Obama wins.
Last edited by locke on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:02 pm

One thing I will agree on: The VC is AMAZING. If you want to play old NES, SNES, N64, etc games then yes, buy a Wii.
You can do that on your computer for free with wonderful programs called emulators. You just gotta know where to look for them. I was playing Donkey Kong Country just the other day, and my brother's been playing Punch-out on his laptop. On my old computer I had downloaded packs of literally every NES, SNES, and Genesis game ever released.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:30 pm

I say do it!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

mazer
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Rackham

Postby mazer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:37 pm

I say buy the Wii it is (contrary to popular belief) a decently powerful system with great potential. The problem is game developers cant see past the cheesy dart throwing type games.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:42 am

well dammit. I resisted the wii and then went and bought 60$ worth of dvds. granted it was because I got $60 worth of dvds for free (b1g1 sale) so I was 'saving money' by spending it. still. otoh, I have resisted buying those particular dvd sets for five years and three years respectively. :P

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:04 am

If it's you and a regular other friend: The punching gaemz and the rollan raemz and the gimmicky gaems will probably get old.
Last semester (year?) we played Brawl every other day for several hours since the night it came out (except for Spring Break and... whatever other breaks happened after the release, if any; don't remember the timing). This semester, where we don't know anyone close with a Wii and Brawl, all I here is complaining about how we're not playing anymore.

Sure, I'm sure it would have gotten old sometime. But if you know the right people, it will take longer to wear old than any game I've ever played. (Except of course the N64 version; over 9 years and counting on that one.)
I say buy the Wii it is (contrary to popular belief) a decently powerful system with great potential. The problem is game developers cant see past the cheesy dart throwing type games.
...or that developers just keep tacking on the motion sensitivity aspect as a little extra feature that's harder to use than traditional controls would be. Is that motion-plus thing or whatever helping that at all? In theory it seems like that would lead to games using it more realistically, but I haven't heard anything...
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:26 am

I remember how badly so many games used cameras and even analog stick movement throughout most of the life of the 64. This was a huge issue to reviewers and gamers at the time, much more important than graphics.

even worse I remember playing nes games where there was enormous time lags between pressing a button and the action happening on screen that button was supposed to trigger. some of those games were more about prescient timing than timing skill.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”