Complete Randomness

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Re: Complete Randomness

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:40 pm

So, I came across a 15 year old flier for an electronics store, and the speed at which technology has advanced and become more accessible never ceases to amaze me. Imagine paying $3000 for a desktop PC with 16 MB of RAM, a 200 mHz processor, and a 1.5 GB hard drive! That's $3000 for a computer that literally has less processing power than today's phones!

What the heck are we going to have 15 or 30 years from now?! We truly live in amazing times.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:28 pm

So, I came across a 15 year old flier for an electronics store, and the speed at which technology has advanced and become more accessible never ceases to amaze me. Imagine paying $3000 for a desktop PC with 16 MB of RAM, a 200 mHz processor, and a 1.5 GB hard drive! That's $3000 for a computer that literally has less processing power than today's phones!

What the heck are we going to have 15 or 30 years from now?! We truly live in amazing times.
But if you look at that same add a TI 83 plus calculator still cost the same.... I don't know how they do it.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Every library I've ever used required two things: (1) a photo ID to prove you are who you say you are
Right...and I have a photo ID that proves I am who I say I am. I also have a lease for this town and I can drag my boxes that were sent in the mail...they're dumb and not my friends anymore. :P
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Trader Joe's is (finally) coming to Colorado.

I don't actually know what took them so long. Boulder and Trader Joe's have been soul mates since the beginning of their existences. It's a shame they've never met.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:11 am

Albany is getting one in April. I'm really excited. Before this, the closest one was about 90 minutes away in Massachusetts. There are some in NYC but that's further away.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:05 pm

After nearly two weeks of being here, I finally put my name on my mailbox, in the hopes it would conjure up some mail for me. Hell, even a bill would have been nice. Alas, no mail was magically/immediately delivered.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:07 pm

After nearly two weeks of being here, I finally put my name on my mailbox, in the hopes it would conjure up some mail for me. Hell, even a bill would have been nice. Alas, no mail was magically/immediately delivered.
I'll send you something! I'm not crafty or creative in the slightest, so it won't be anything cute, but mail is mail!
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:35 pm

I'll send you something! I'm not crafty or creative in the slightest, so it won't be anything cute, but mail is mail!
:frolic:

(Though I really was hoping they'd deliver stuff I knew is actually on the way; I was led to believe they might not leave stuff that came in without me declaring the mailbox, so to speak.)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:48 am

Send me your new address so I can update my book, and I'll send you something too!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:55 pm

I got my bill today. :) Mail is fun...even if it is a bill. (<-- I will never say that again.)

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:08 pm

On lesson I took from the population biology portion of my differential equations class is that in the real world, "exponential" growth curves are almost always logistic functions that haven't had enough time to level out. Even 5 or 10 years from now we'll likely be pushing the physical boundaries of transistor density.
But if you look at that same add a TI 83 plus calculator still cost the same.... I don't know how they do it.
Because graphing calculators are awesome? Also, I think the "new" price of a TI-83+ has actually come down by about $15 in the last 8 years (and the 84+ SE has come down by about $30 in the same time frame). Casio's Prizms are pretty inexpensive, though the TI Nspire is not. Honestly though, you're paying for the software, and the approval for standardized testing.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:00 am

zero has had his out of state license for forever and he lives in this state!
His license is void.
Wow, we just had this discussion with a coworker. She has lived in this state for 19 years and still has a license from her prior state. She couldn't seem to get the message that she is basically driving without a license.
Pweb member since 2000

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:04 am

Every library I've ever used required two things: (1) a photo ID to prove you are who you say you are (if you're a child, you need a birth certificate or social security card and your parent must present a photo ID), and (2) two pieces of machine-printed mail as proof of residency within the city/township limits.
That's true for our library, too.

And if there is a lapse of over a year during which you haven't used your library card (which happens to me, cause I'm sporadic in my library use), you have to present proof of residency again.
Pweb member since 2000

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:21 pm

There was a clerk or whatever you call 'em at the DMV who looked familiar. I kept finding myself looking back at him every so often and thinking, "Darn, he looks like someone I know...I wish I could figure out who. He's kind of cute, at any rate, but I'm not really interested for that, so it'd be nice to know who he reminds me of so I can stop staring already."

And then, out of nowhere, "Oh my word, that's Mich in the bridge picture, just a bit taller looking and with reddish hair. *awkward moment of thought*"

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Have you found... my doppelganger!?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:12 am

Are you asking because you know you have one and are worried someone has found them, know you have one and want to know where they are, or want to know if you have one?
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:23 am

Everybody has a doppelganger, son. You just never know when they'll pop up.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:54 pm

I just might have, Mich, I just might have.

My cousin swears she saw someone who looked just like me in San Diego and my former roommate said she saw someone who looked just like me in Tucson, only the latter knew it wasn't me because "she was wearing colors and wouldn't do that." I was also elsewhere in the state but the color thing clinched it. I have a very common face, apparently. I don't know if that's a good thing for the world at large or not.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:34 pm

Was it Mustache Mich?!
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:26 am

Was it Mustache Mich?!
With the reddish hair, it sounds more like Stripper-Mich.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:15 am

With the reddish hair, it sounds more like Stripper-Mich.
Maybe. But Estonian Street Performer Mich has red hair, too.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:36 am

I quake at the thought of ever finding Mustache Mich; you know that'd be one powerful mustache.

Alas, this one did not have a mustache and much like our Mich, didn't seem like the type to be able to grow one. Then again, looks can be deceiving.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:27 am

Double post. Oops, I guess.

I just barely finished off a gallon of milk this morning (I got it on the 8th or 9th). This surprises me both in that it lasted me 2.5 weeks without going bad and that it took me that long in the first place to finish it.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 am

Maybe. But Estonian Street Performer Mich has red hair, too.
I'm pretty sure that even if you found him, he wouldn't be the real deal.

Alea: I usually don't want to drink milk after about 4 days, because it starts smelling not-fresh.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:03 pm

My milk goes down my mouth, not my nostrils. :mrgreen:

It tasted the same to me today as it did when I first opened it but I wonder if someone else would notice a difference.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:24 pm

My milk goes down my mouth, not my nostrils. :mrgreen:

It tasted the same to me today as it did when I first opened it but I wonder if someone else would notice a difference.
As far as you know, is your olfactory system fully operational? If things smell funny, it always effects how I taste them.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:54 pm

It's a bit sensitive, compared to most people I know. There was a joke about that at my prior job at one point. (sensitive, as in, it worked extremely well)

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:11 pm

It's a bit sensitive, compared to most people I know. There was a joke about that at my prior job at one point. (sensitive, as in, it worked extremely well)
Weird. and you really don't mind eating smelly foods?

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:12 pm

We use about 3 gallons a week.

Then again, I do have 3 kids. And I like to make macaroni and cheese.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:26 pm

Weird. and you really don't mind eating smelly foods?

Err, what's a smelly food? I probably do; I'm a very picky eater. In the case of the milk, though, it smelled just fine to me.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:02 pm

Err, what's a smelly food? I probably do; I'm a very picky eater. In the case of the milk, though, it smelled just fine to me.
First examples to mind: hardboiled eggs, parmesan cheese (or other "scented" cheeses), durians.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Ah. Definitely not, did when I was younger but stopped in my early teens (for Parmesan; the only cheeses I do eat are pepperjack, cheddar...uh, I'm sure there are others but definitely not many, whether they are strong scented or not), and never even heard of or seen that.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:23 pm

Durian smells foul.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:25 pm

Ah. Definitely not, did when I was younger but stopped in my early teens (for Parmesan; the only cheeses I do eat are pepperjack, cheddar...uh, I'm sure there are others but definitely not many, whether they are strong scented or not), and never even heard of or seen that.
We can be food-buddies. Also, mozzarella.

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:02 pm

So... I'm considering upgrading my RAM and I was poking around my computer properties and I realized that I've never shared this with you guys! I named my computer Ender_Wiggin in the hopes that if I ever use a public network and another Ender fan notices, they'll come and talk with me! Hahaha

"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

Return to “Milagre Town Square”