Complete Randomness

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:27 am

I generally take my shoes off when I go to a friend's place (because I am more comfortable shoe-less) or if I go to someone's house that I've never been to before (during which I normally make a comment about shoes so as to find out if they prefer it when guests take off their shoes). Most of my family takes off their shoes whenever visiting anyone, except for my mom, because she hates hates hates with a passion that is only matched by her hatred for animals piles of shoes in front of doors.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:07 am

My family wears shoes and does not wear shoes, depending on whim. I will usually take off my shoes in other peoples' houses because the default is to be less messy. I don't normally wear shoes inside my own house anymore, but that's mostly because I prefer being barefoot when I can.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:15 am

I never wear shoes around the house and my mother chides me for this. Something about arch support, etc. She always wears shoes in the house. However, I rarely take off my shoes at other people's houses unless they ask. Sometimes it is a bit awkward, because of my cognitive dissonance on the matter because I don't want my shoes on, though I don't really want them to see my mismatched socks.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:08 am

I've kinda heard it as a American vs Canadian thing, but it's more of a warm and dry vs cold and wet thing. Most places in Canada (and I'm guessing the Northern States?), you would be really rude to leave your shoes on to come into someone's house, because you would be tracking mud/snow and general wetness onto their floor/carpet.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:43 am

Well, lots of places in America are just as wet/cold/snowy as Canada (ie, the northeast). Anyway, we take our shoes off at home and my default is to take shoes off at other peoples, unless they tell me keep them on because the floor is cold or something.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:59 am

out of habit my shoes come off almost as soon as I come in. but I grew up always having shoes on in the house, more or less, unless I absent mindedly kicked them off while reading in my bedroom after school.

I think my mom was rather relieved I didn't take off my shoes (nor did the rest of my family really) as it was always me and only me that could be expected to not find my shoes because I'd have no idea where/when I'd taken them off inside the house.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:24 am

We take our shoes off at our house and at others. It's an Alaskan thing. A lot of people have an arctic entry or mud room that serves as a place for everyone's shoes. We just have a spot in our garage. Back in Idaho, we'd only take our shoes off for the sake of comfort (or if they were really dirty). I think it does come down to cold and wet vs. hot and dry. And now I'm rather in love with bare feet, so I usually ditch my shoes as soon as I can.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:14 am

I've kinda heard it as a American vs Canadian thing, but it's more of a warm and dry vs cold and wet thing. Most places in Canada (and I'm guessing the Northern States?), you would be really rude to leave your shoes on to come into someone's house, because you would be tracking mud/snow and general wetness onto their floor/carpet.
Oh yes. In the winter/spring in ND, taking off your shoes in the entry was definitely the default. It took some getting used to for me, particularly as I tend to not throw out socks just because they have a hole or two that nobody will see, or so I thought.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:43 pm

Shoes? I'm partial to socks and slippers...
After school, I normally walk in and completely forget about my shoes until I start doing homework, at which point I kick them off and they end up under the table. At friends/ family's houses, it depends who's house I'm in and how clean or dirty the floor happens to be, or what kind of shoes I'm wearing.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:57 pm

As I've recently mentioned to someone, I honestly did not realize that anyone was in the habit of wearing outdoor shoes inside except on tv.

I mean, in doors you have have carpets and/or clean floors. Wearing shoes in a house seems about as natural to me as wearing pants in a shower. In my own home I don't even wear socks.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:14 pm

As I've recently mentioned to someone, I honestly did not realize that anyone was in the habit of wearing outdoor shoes inside except on tv.

I mean, in doors you have have carpets and/or clean floors. Wearing shoes in a house seems about as natural to me as wearing pants in a shower. In my own home I don't even wear socks.
Exactly.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:18 am

Dear Pweb,

Can you name all the geekery in this photo?

"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:49 am

Well, there is the Tardis drawing to put your face in it and take pics, that thing on the right seems like the stargate, the guy behind the girl with the 55 t-shirt seems to be holding the helmet of a imperial scout, there is a girl on the right-hand side, behind the bearded guy, dressed as sailor moon, and the guy on the left, with the hood... well, i really don't know that one. Won't be from Assassin's Creed, right?

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:06 am

I didn't even learn about a "shoes off" rule until college, and have only run into it a few times since then, always by people (1) from Chicago and (2) super serious about cleaning (mopping every single day? seriously?). If it's super rainy or snowy, yeah, it's common courtesy to take off your shoes, because you can't wipe that off on the two (or three) doormats. Otherwise, wipe your feet and you're good to go.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:39 pm

Well, there is the Tardis drawing to put your face in it and take pics, that thing on the right seems like the stargate, the guy behind the girl with the 55 t-shirt seems to be holding the helmet of a imperial scout, there is a girl on the right-hand side, behind the bearded guy, dressed as sailor moon, and the guy on the left, with the hood... well, i really don't know that one. Won't be from Assassin's Creed, right?
Haha, awesome! Yep, he is. You did better than I did, though, since I had to ask what/who he was.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:24 pm

Yeah, I see a Tardis, Altair (?) from Assassin's Creed, a Storm Trooper, Sailor Moon, and a Stargate (not the best gate I've seen). I think there's also a guy on the far right in '40s era military uniform, but I could be reaching...
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:41 pm

Yeah, I see a Tardis, Altair (?) from Assassin's Creed, a Storm Trooper, Sailor Moon, and a Stargate (not the best gate I've seen). I think there's also a guy on the far right in '40s era military uniform, but I could be reaching...
The gate, while not the best, was only partially constructed when I took the photo. It was better when it was finished, though. The guy on the far right is probably Unspecified Steampunk Guy, since that was the theme of the con.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:22 pm

There's a Sci-Fi con over here that has a Stargate every year. They did a great job on it, there's moss all over it, and it has a really stoney look to it.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:30 pm

Random: I've been out of the country for awhile, and spent the last few days catching up on various things. So, uh "Hi pweb!" Also sorry (but not really) for all of the semi-old posts I'm bumping.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:11 am

I'd like to congratulate myself because from all those nerdy icons, i only ever watched Star Wars and Sailor Moon.

No, i haven't started with Dr. Who yet... >.>

I began with Buffy Vampire Slayer, though!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:03 pm

I don't know if I want to start a new thread for this, so I'll stick it here:

Anyone else use twitter? I know there are a couple pwebbers who do, but just wondering if there are more who care to share. I've been leaching off of Paul's account, but I figured it was time to get my own.

I'm @jayellemo

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:11 pm

No twitter, just my blog.

Is twitter worth all the hype?
Yay, I'm a llama again!

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:15 pm

I saw this in the description for a raocow Let'sPlay video the other day: "I know some of you peeps out there watch these videos with your kids, and it's something I try to keep into consideration. [...]"

People watch LPs with their kids, apparently? And raocow LPs? That is awesome!

dgf hhw

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:42 pm

I looked up what you're talking about, zero, but I'm still not really sure what it is. Videos of people playing video games? Is that what it is?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:47 pm

I feel like half the time I don't even know what the words are that Zero types. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:09 pm

I looked up what you're talking about, zero, but I'm still not really sure what it is. Videos of people playing video games? Is that what it is?
There are some great LPs, and not all of them videos. I can't really get into the videos, but one of the most famous ones is of Animal Crossing, where it reinterprets the game as a prison simulator (or something of that matter). I have a feeling I posted the Knights of the Old Republic II LP I was obsessed with a while back, but I'll reiterate that it was really great, showing off what LPs are good for: humor, discussion of the game, and revealing things about the game that the reader (or viewer) might not know about.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:06 pm

I've been surprised by how funny some LPs are and I know next to nothing about video games.

--------------------

I read an article today in which Megan Fox was heavily mentioned and I noticed I don't hate her anymore. It amazes me, more than words can say, how much has changed since January of this very year.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:22 pm

Here ya go (a helpful tvtropes page? amazing!) Despite what wikipedia says, they are not "video walkthroughs". A simple description of them honestly makes them sound very boring and stupid to me, so I can't really explain it. I think they only make sense if you find an LPer you like watching.

dgf hhw

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:24 pm

The Escapist's/LoadingReadyRun's LP of a game looks good, give that they're doing it in the Unskippable style. Unfortunately, it's being released in 10 minute segments once a week.

In related randomness, this

CROWBAR IS READY
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:57 pm

A co-worker attempted small talk today and asked if I had any hobbies. To which I responded, not really.

I probably should work on that. Or at least come up with answers.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:22 pm

I admit to posting this just because I'm impatient to reach 3000 posts.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:31 pm

I admit to being okay with you posting that just to reach 3000 posts and also admit I consider it a painfully, depressingly slow day if we don't hit at least 12 different threads in any given day and I lastly admit I'm going to spam the hell out of this board by the end of the week with nary a guilty feeling in sight if people don't pick up the slack.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:16 pm

I bit my cheek today pretty hard. Grrrr.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:36 pm

I admit to being okay with you posting that just to reach 3000 posts and also admit I consider it a painfully, depressingly slow day if we don't hit at least 12 different threads in any given day and I lastly admit I'm going to spam the hell out of this board by the end of the week with nary a guilty feeling in sight if people don't pick up the slack.
You are a hard taskmistress.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:07 pm

My cat (Lulamay) loves to be beat. She has always liked rough pets, but if you beat on her sides, she goes crazy. She also likes her tail to be slightly pulled.

This also makes her very playful, she'll attack your feet, or more likely then not, the dog. She also makes the best chirping noises while playing.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”