Complete Randomness

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:56 pm

I was surfing pweb the other day and every time Jota's avatar was on the screen, Ginny would point and say "Pig! Pig". I asked her what Alea's avatar was and she said "Bear!"

Clearly my child needs some geek education soon.
All attempts on my part to educate my nieces failed spectacularly; their other female relatives got them hooked on clothes, makeup, etc. I'm not saying the two can't go together...but my nieces seem to be.

My nephews, on the other hand, are putty in my Star Wars loving hands.

But I still don't forgive them for losing my Vader, only to have the puppy find him and chew him to pieces.

Also, the more I stare at said puppy, the more he looks like Wicket to me.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:40 pm

Moving in 2 days. For some reason I am sitting here watching Pushing Daisies. I SHOULD BE FREAKING OUT AHHHH.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Moving in 2 days. For some reason I am sitting here watching Pushing Daisies. I SHOULD BE FREAKING OUT AHHHH.
That. Is. The. Best. Show!!!!!

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:27 pm

That. Is. The. Best. Show!!!!!
This I have discovered albeit at an inconvenient time!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:27 pm

As far as the Nadr story goes, I guess you haven't actually read the tweet that got her fired. Not that I'd expect you to, of course, but hey.
Sad to hear of the passing of Sayyed Mohammad Hussein Fadlallah.. One of Hezbollah's giants I respect a lot.. #Lebanon
Yeah, that totally comes across as praising him for "the strides he made that benefit Islamic women." Or, you know, not. Which is probably why, per her latest tweet, she "regret [the] tweet about [the] Fadlallah death [because she] didn't explain specific respect for standing up for Muslim women."

Sad to hear the passing of Adolf Hitler. One of Nazi Germany's giants I respect a lot.. #Nazi

I can't believe people would miscontrue that. All I meant was that I respect him for the strides he made in pushing for the production of a reliable, affordable car for the middle and lower class Germans. Give me a break.

This just made my day. I love when people make use of common sense and fact checking.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:53 am

So... Wicket pwnt lord Vader? :shock: That could be in the Friday fight thread! XD

And JL, i'd be lenient on the child mixing up Kirby with a pig... both pink, both eat voraciously XD Just be sure to nitpick him: "2-legged, no-nose, cute pig" XD

Edit:
btw, Alea, i think you'll enjoy this link:
http://www.nerviosismo.net/archives/70

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:20 pm

So... Wicket pwnt lord Vader? :shock:
That's not so shocking now, is it? I mean, Wicket vs Vader is a bit but Ewoks vs the Empire? It's symbolic, Jota; my puppy was trying to send the message that awes-err, evil is not to be tolerated in our house.

I'll check out the link when I get home.

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:20 pm

Ahhhh, I'm peeling.
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

The Catholic Church's ye olde impotence index

Postby locke » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:24 pm

ye olde Catholic Impotence Index
1: Natural impotence

Definition: A “permanent and irremediable problem,” discovered on the wedding night. This covered more than erectile dysfunction: In the 16th century, French Baron d’Argenton had his marriage annulled because of his testicles, “which did withdraw inside his person when he turned over.” Incompatibility could also be taken into account: In 1613, Magdelaine de Charbonnier was allowed an annulment “on the ground that her said husband’s virile organ was so large as to be beyond any virgin to sustain it.”

Grounds for annulment? Yes.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Re: The Catholic Church's ye olde impotence index

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:24 pm

ye olde Catholic Impotence Index
1: Natural impotence

Definition: A “permanent and irremediable problem,” discovered on the wedding night. This covered more than erectile dysfunction: In the 16th century, French Baron d’Argenton had his marriage annulled because of his testicles, “which did withdraw inside his person when he turned over.” Incompatibility could also be taken into account: In 1613, Magdelaine de Charbonnier was allowed an annulment “on the ground that her said husband’s virile organ was so large as to be beyond any virgin to sustain it.”

Grounds for annulment? Yes.

Meh.

That article has several things I take issue with. Celibate marriages continued to be highly regarded and honourable. St Brigit of Sweden and her husband were a famous 14th century couple, and my dear favourite nutcase of the 15th century, Margery Kempe, spent decades nagging her husband for one (he gave in eventually). 1570 is also quite firmly outside the Middle Ages and really, once you get Protestants running around all over Europe, the literature gets weird. I mean, the quoted book is post-Trent, for crying out loud! Sloppy, sloppy.

Also, the article writer has fundamentally misunderstood the "duty" which impotence hinders. It's not a holy duty to have kids, it's the contractual duty to pay out what you promised.

Yes, in medieval theology, impotence is more a matter of contract law. Let's check out what Thomas Aquinas has to say, since he's infinitely more influential and also a medieval:
In marriage there is a contract whereby one is bound to pay the other the marital debt: wherefore just as in other contracts, the bond is unfitting if a person bind himself to what he cannot give or do, so the marriage contract is unfitting, if it be made by one who cannot pay the marital debt. This impediment is called by the general name of impotence as regards coition, and can arise either from an intrinsic and natural cause, or from an extrinsic and accidental cause, for instance spell, of which we shall speak later (2). If it be due to a natural cause, this may happen in two ways. For either it is temporary, and can be remedied by medicine, or by the course of time, and then it does not void a marriage: or it is perpetual and then it voids marriage, so that the party who labors under this impediment remains for ever without hope of marriage, while the other may "marry to whom she will . . . in the Lord" (1 Corinthians 7:39). In order to ascertain whether the impediment be perpetual or not, the Church has appointed a fixed time, namely three years, for putting the matter to a practical proof: and if after three years, during which both parties have honestly endeavored to fulfil their marital intercourse, the marriage remain unconsummated, the Church adjudges the marriage to be dissolved. And yet the Church is sometimes mistaken in this, because three years are sometimes insufficient to prove impotence to be perpetual. Wherefore if the Church find that she has been mistaken, seeing that the subject of the impediment has completed carnal copulation with another or with the same person, she reinstates the former marriage and dissolves the subsequent one, although the latter has been contracted with her permission.

[...]

In all contracts it is agreed on all hands that anyone who is unable to satisfy an obligation is unfit to make a contract which requires the fulfilling of that obligation. Now this inability is of two kinds. First, because a person is unable to fulfill the obligation "de jure," and such inability renders the contract altogether void, whether the party with whom he contracts knows of this or not. Secondly, because he is unable to fulfill "de facto"; and then if the party with whom he contracts knows of this and, notwithstanding, enters the contract, this shows that the latter seeks some other end from the contract, and the contract stands. But if he does not know of it the contract is void. Consequently frigidity which causes such an impotence that a man cannot "de facto" pay the marriage debt, as also the condition of slavery, whereby a man cannot "de facto" give his service freely, are impediments to marriage, when the one married party does not know that the other is unable to pay the marriage debt. But an impediment whereby a person cannot pay the marriage debt "de jure," for instance consanguinity, voids the marriage contract, whether the other party knows of it or not. For this reason the Master [Peter Lombard] holds (Sent. iv, D, 34) that these two impediments, frigidity and slavery, make it not altogether unlawful for their subjects to marry.
-- Summa, Supplementum Tertiae Partis, Q 58, A 1.

The above, especially "seeing that the subject of the impediment has completed carnal copulation with another or with the same person, she reinstates the former marriage and dissolves the subsequent one, although the latter has been contracted with her permission", coupled with what else I know about medieval marriage law, makes me highly skeptical of "relative impotence" as defined by the article. I've seen in many places the concept that impotence needs to be universal. There's a case of one poor bastard who, to prove his impotence, had to stand naked in court while a prostitute hired for the purpose attempted to seduce him.

The marital debt was the one aspect of medieval theology that was meticulously egalitarian. A wife had the exact same right to demand sex from her husband as he did from her, and if he couldn't "pay up", he was violating the marriage contract and it could lead to annulment in some cases. It's actually a very interesting topic of study.

There's so many more interesting and historically significant texts the article's author could have drawn on, and his interpretation was predictably shoddy and influenced by a modern beef. I give it a C-.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:21 am

Highlights of our one-night camping trip this weekend.

Jan: at work until picked up, we go straight to camping
Paul: forgetful

Things forgotten:
-Tent (we had to buy a new one)
-Toothbrushes
-Contacts case and solution
-Pillows
-Hats

Things remembered:
-too much food

Highlights:
-Our two year old throwing up berries in the middle of the night twice
-about 3 hours of sleep
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:24 am

On the plus side, the mosquitoes were only moderate instead of deadly.
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:47 am

Oh, also forgotten:

-more then one shirt for Paul, which was a problem when Ginny threw up on that shirt.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:01 pm

:lol:

Camping with small kiddies, always an adventure!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:32 pm

Sorry for double-posting again.

Alea, is your library's summer reading program using the Giant Goat God Rising From the Sea posters and promo material? If you've seen it, trust me it's the right one, because there's no mistaking. If you are, is there any way you can please, please snag me a poster, or even a bookmark? I'm so amused at the fundamentalist Christian s***-storm this is causing that I really want a piece of it!

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:04 am

I want to watch Brick.
As well you should; it's good.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:13 am

I want to watch Brick.
As well you should; it's good.
I did, and it was good, as usual.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:16 am

Sorry for double-posting again.

Alea, is your library's summer reading program using the Giant Goat God Rising From the Sea posters and promo material? If you've seen it, trust me it's the right one, because there's no mistaking. If you are, is there any way you can please, please snag me a poster, or even a bookmark? I'm so amused at the fundamentalist Christian s***-storm this is causing that I really want a piece of it!
I missed this earlier.

Yeah, "Making Waves," "Make a Splash," and "Water Your Mind" are the theme this year. That particular one is a YA image. I think the poster has been spoken for but I'll see what I can scrounge up; I may have the poster file on my summer reading disc. Worst case scenario, I'll just scan the poster before it goes to its new owner and send you the file of that. If you can, send me a reminder tomorrow?

Err...scanning would be silly. I'll see what I can do to get you a hard copy.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:28 am

I'm so amused at the fundamentalist Christian s***-storm this is causing that I really want a piece of it!
*gigglefest*
we were having a pretty bad day down here in the lab (a mate ran out of funding, and it seems like he stumped on a wall where he can't get anymore), thanks for bringing this smile :) it's honestly appreciated.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:28 am

I'm so amused at the fundamentalist Christian s***-storm this is causing that I really want a piece of it!
While I do think it's pretty funny that the poster would be considered "the beast rising out of the sea" I don't think that a couple posts on a tiny forum (450 active members?) counts as a "Fundamentalist Christian s***-storm".
Comeon, I expect better from you, EL!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:52 am

I just saw one of those posters today. I almost snagged it, but people were watching.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:08 pm

Alright, Ali. We haven't seen the person who first requested it around, so if they don't claim it by August, I can most likely nab it for you. We don't have any bookmarks but would an official summer reading disc with the poster file on it be okay? You wouldn't be able to display it, of course, but it would be as physical an item I could get and I have an extra, since I was head of both children's and adults at this branch.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:36 pm

Alea, once again you prove why you are THE BEST EVER! Any of the above would be amazing! Keep an eye out for bookmarks, in case one floats through? I've heard there's a mako shark with tribal tattoos and I'm intrigued! I've been a fan of Ursula Vernon for years now, and this is just such great art.

Jan, fair enough. It's a small storm. But I'm still highly amused about it! It's not restricted to one tiny forum, either, though I only posted the one link. If the artist herself is getting called about the Arabic (gasp! horror!) tattoo on the bookmark critter (and it's not even Arabic) because someone's upset they used it in their bible, there's enough illogic for me to enjoy.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Oh, the teen art is fantastic. I'm mostly positive anything that is official summer reading art is on the disc, including said shark.

The whale I made and posted a few months ago in the craft thread is a cutesy version of a much cooler looking whale that is part of the teen art. The children's and adult art, on the other hand, sucks.

I'll ask my mom to talk to her teen people, see if we can't grab some stuff from them.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:45 pm

*Are we still caring if we've done double posts or just declaring it out of habit?*

The lurker thread, as well as offboard stuff, reminded me of this and it didn't really feel like a Confession or a Bob, so Random it is.

I severely fail at online and phone etiquette, and have acquired some nasty double standards in both cases. It's best if I'm told, outright, if I'm doing anything to offend or hurt because otherwise, I'll assume I'm not.

There are some people I have very formal interactions with.

"Hi."
"Hello."
"How are you?"
"Fine, you?"

Those can, and usually do, get more relaxed and settled in with some time but they always start out that way. Others, I will start conversations that are the middle of a thought I've had, that may or may not make sense right away or ever. Some conversations I have span the course of days, coming and going, no expectations to get a response instantly.

There are friends I absolutely have to tell everything to, don't want to miss a chance to talk to them about something, it feels like an eternity if we skip a day sort of things. Others, every few days, others every few weeks/months. I'm thinking that's pretty normal.

Whatever type it is, I assume we're both on the same page (mistake on my part, assuming) and so when they do something that happens to irk me, whoa boy, watch out, they're hearing about it sooner or later (usually sooner). When I do something to irk them, and I haven't been told it irks them, I feel guilty for not having read their minds and known.

But the things most people do that get on my nerves? I'm guilty of doing every last one of them.

I also feel a bit bad when people can show up and just click with me instantly where others have to really work at drawing me out, and vice-versa. It doesn't seem fair.

Lastly, the size of my lunch was entirely way too small.

(How's that for random? :D )

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:04 pm

WHISKEY.

(I likes it)
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 pm

What kind of whiskey?

*is a fan of some very fine scotch whiskeys*
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:05 pm

Given that she lives in Tennessee, I'm guessing Jack.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:12 pm

Surely there's better bourbon out there, though.

Also, it's very odd to watch my post count move through the years of my life.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:20 pm

Tennessee whiskey =/= bourbon.

No, really. It tastes different. (Then again, Dickel tastes quite different than Jack, and they're both TN Whiskey, but whatever!)
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:30 pm

Fair enough. I don't know much about American whiskeys, although I've been curious to learn. I've mostly stuck to Scotch.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:38 am

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:03 am

Oh yeah, < Doesn't drink. Good for me!

I have recently gotten into a bad habit of snacking a lot throughout the morning/afternoon, and then eating small meal portions. Having to wake up early during the summer to exercise is throwing me off my normal routine.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:36 am

Fair enough. I don't know much about American whiskeys, although I've been curious to learn. I've mostly stuck to Scotch.
I thought it was rather interesting, in that Man Quiz, how Brits were the only country out of the big four that had whiskey come in second to beer for "manliest drink." The others said scotch.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:22 pm

Given that she lives in Tennessee, I'm guessing Jack.

Wrong. I was being my lovely and charming self and making bourbon fixes for my boys. I had one or two myself, though. Although, my favorite whiskey is a Tennessee whiskey (Gentleman Jack).
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”