Complete Randomness

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:51 pm

And there will be no attempts on the cinnamon challenge; that just looks gross.
I wouldn't even attempt it. You just end up with cinnamon all over the place because it is nearly impossible to not cough.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:38 pm

And Fox News may not be balanced, but it's no more right wing than CNN is left wing. The problem, as with all the major news outlets, is that it's incredibly unintellectual (which is exactly what OSC is saying).
Oh I would be so happy if CNN were left wing, or even left of center. CNN is a little bit right of center, and they're drifting further right all the time. Fox is so far to the right, they make CNN seem Left by comparison.

I agree on the unintellectual comment, but if it were intellectual, I imagine OSC would accuse the channel of being elitist buffoons with a radical secular agenda to murder God and sit on his sky throne and also making Jesus the court-jester-monkey-slave. Down with the evil intellectual usurpers! they are out to get us all! Oh waily waily waily!
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:58 am

I guess if you think DailyKos or HuffoPo are centrists, you could come to the conclusion that CNN is "right of center."

In reviewing stories from the last primary election cycle, a Harvard study found the following:

CNN casted a negative light on Republican candidates by a margin of more than 3-1. The breakdown for Republican candidates was: 14% positive, 41% negative. Obama's breakdown, on the other hand, looked like: 46% positive, 8% negative. The Democrats candidates as a whole: 27% positive, 23% negative. Democrats were twice as likely as Republicans to get positive coverage and nearly half as likely to get negative coverage.

Fox New's breakdown? Republicans: 32% positive, 21% negative. Democrats: 24% positive, 37% negative. Democrats were about three-quarters as likely to get positive coverage and about 1.7 times as likely to get negative coverage.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:19 am

That couldn't be because, i dunno, the democrat republicans were better than the candidates?

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:00 pm

I know there's a language barrier, and most times I can understand what you're saying, but in this case... what? I think you're suggesting that the Democrat candidates were better than the Republican ones, but I'm not sure.

If that's the case, I'm not sure why that would matter in a primary race, where members of a party vote among several candidates from their party for who will run in the national election against the other party. Democrats v. Democrats, Republicans v. Republicans.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:02 pm

I stand by what i said 8) the democrat republicans are better than the candidates.

:lol:

Remember the title of this thread :wink:

Game Room Wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Game Room Wannabe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:24 pm

GO FEDERALISTS!!
Complete randomness... (Dem-Rep vs. Fed)
I'm a noob.
Ender is NOT a jerk.
This siggy is wasting your time...

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:28 pm

Better at what, being dead? Present tense doesn't really work for them.

Game Room Wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Game Room Wannabe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:31 pm

I say to you, OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA OBA OBA
And you can see...^CNN FAILS!

-A Milli (not sure) - Lil Wayne? Not really sure... but it's a song (just type obama obama obama)
I'm a noob.
Ender is NOT a jerk.
This siggy is wasting your time...

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:46 pm

I had some time to kill so I entered the online trivia contest at one of my local libraries for the month of June and I won! I think I was the only person to enter but still...they put my picture on the website and I won a huge, nerdy tshirt. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:57 pm

My mother's boyfriend can't say "water" as water; he says warder.

In other fun accent news, I had some very inappropriate thoughts while watching the latest Twilight movie when Jasper, in a Southern accent, said "Sorry 'bout that, ma'am." He won't be using that in Airbender but I may have to see that now, for him.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm SO FREAKING JEALOUS that my friend met the Queen this morning! Not just "saw walk by" - talked to! And her other friend told a funny story and got a polite smile in reply! And she looks so adorable in the pictures!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:05 pm

I never thought I would actively wish I were in Toronto, because that is amazing and I am also incredibly jealous of our friend!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:28 am

Oh wait, was there actually a party of democrat republicans? :shock: learn something new every day.

I was just trying to be random :?

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:18 am

Random number generator!

Code: Select all

#include <cstdlib> #include <iostream> using namespace std; int main() { for(;;) { int random_integer = rand(); cout << random_integer << endl; } }
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:53 am

lol XD
but that's just random-like!

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Sonikku13 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:57 am

Don't you mean pseudo random? Appearing to be random, but not random.
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:46 pm

This is honestly one of the most awesome things I've ever heard of.

http://www.vivifeye.com/mindball/index.html

Mindeffinball.

You play table tennis with your mind.

You have to concentrate and relax, at the same time. Your relaxation keeps the ball from reaching your goal, while your concentration sends it to your opponents goal.(using brain waves)
Whoever outconcentrates and outrelaxes the other, will score the point.

Seriously, it sounds like they stole this from the Sympathy showdowns in the Name Of The Wind. (For those of you who will get the reference, remember the sympathy showdowns in the class with Kvothe, believing your opponents stick is your candle and creating a sympathetic connection and believing your candle is the same as a candle in the oven and creating a sympathetic connection so that the energy is transferred to your opponents stick, all while believing your stick is not your opponents candle to counter his sympathetic connection. Whoever lights their opponents candle first, wins)

So f****** awesome.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:10 pm

repaired toilet seat, installed additional towel bar and hung the souvenir route 66 sign I bought last week.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:06 pm

"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:46 pm

reviving the CNN debate (and really, syphon's statistics showed that CNN was only 3% more favorable towards democrats than Fox News, clearly that 3% is indicative that they are left wing and LIBERAL AS ALL HELL)(

CNN just fired a long time employee for praising a muslim cleric for the strides he made that benefit Islamic women because that same cleric had ties to terrorism.

This would be like CNN firing someone for praising George Bush's African Aids initiatives because Bush has ties to torture.

I think Nasr's firing supports my assertion CNN is not left wing, I think Andrew Sullivan put it best:
What I do know is that if you tweet that Supreme Court Justice David Souter is a "goat-f****** child molester" or that "Linda Douglass really is the Joseph Goebbels of the White House Health Care shop," you don't get fired by CNN. You get hired. But if you express qualified support for some of the positions of a cleric whose funeral Nouri al-Maliki just attended, you have no future in American journalism - even after twenty years of non-controversial work at CNN.

Our discourse is being chilled by those who are supposed to protect it.
and a list of journalists fired for not adhering to neo-conservative principles.
http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn ... index.html

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Are you kidding me? That's what you get out of the breakdown? Not the fact that when the supposedly "right of center" news station discussed Republican candidates, only 14% of the time it was positive and 41% of the time it was negative. They were three times as likely to provide negative coverage for Republicans as positive coverage. They were twice as likely to provide positive coverage for Democrats as for Republicans. They were nearly twice as likely to provide negative coverage for Republicans as for Democrats. They must be crazy right-wingers to positively cover Democrats and negatively cover Republicans. Some vast right-wing conspiracy, no doubt. MSNBC would have none of the conspiracy, of course, painting Republicans in a positive light 38% of the time (compared to 30% negative).

As far as the Nadr story goes, I guess you haven't actually read the tweet that got her fired. Not that I'd expect you to, of course, but hey.
Sad to hear of the passing of Sayyed Mohammad Hussein Fadlallah.. One of Hezbollah's giants I respect a lot.. #Lebanon
Yeah, that totally comes across as praising him for "the strides he made that benefit Islamic women." Or, you know, not. Which is probably why, per her latest tweet, she "regret [the] tweet about [the] Fadlallah death [because she] didn't explain specific respect for standing up for Muslim women."

Sad to hear the passing of Adolf Hitler. One of Nazi Germany's giants I respect a lot.. #Nazi

I can't believe people would miscontrue that. All I meant was that I respect him for the strides he made in pushing for the production of a reliable, affordable car for the middle and lower class Germans. Give me a break.

If you're going to bitch about her being fired for her political views, that's one thing. I wouldn't have fired her. But to pretend that she was fired because she praised a leader of a terrorist organization for a very specific thing he accomplished is not just silly, it's well out of line with reality.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:10 pm

Sometimes I wish we had a thread where we could test the waters for new thread topics we're on the fence about starting, rather than just starting a thread only to have it die off immediately because no one is interested. I've almost started about three different threads this week, but haven't, because I'm not sure if they'd float.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:39 pm

Take a chance on us. :)

Or do the next best thing; do the opening post elsewhere and if it takes off, ask a mod to break the conversation into its own thread.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:57 pm

Sometimes I wish we had a thread where we could test the waters for new thread topics we're on the fence about starting, rather than just starting a thread only to have it die off immediately because no one is interested. I've almost started about three different threads this week, but haven't, because I'm not sure if they'd float.
I tend to just post 'em anyway. I generally get ~3 replies, but I keep on trying!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:40 pm

Sometimes I wish we had a thread where we could test the waters for new thread topics we're on the fence about starting, rather than just starting a thread only to have it die off immediately because no one is interested.
Eh, so? Sometimes I wonder about this, but then I think that there's nothing wrong with a thread with no replies. Someone might even necropost it in a distant future.
Random number generator!

#include <cstdlib> #include <iostream> using namespace std; int main() { for(;;) { int random_integer = rand(); cout << random_integer << endl; } }
You are a horrible person for not putting a return statement in main (I don't care if it's never reached). Also for using c++.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Sonikku13 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:05 am

Random number generator!

You are a horrible person for not putting a return statement in main (I don't care if it's never reached). Also for using c++.
C++ is a great language, still learning it though. I need a C++ class or something, AP Computer Science teaches Java, which isn't as flexible as C++.

So what if my C++ skills aren't that great? I'm learning, and that's good, right?

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:49 am

I probably will need to learn Java once i am done with me disertation :3 i guess that's what will give me better job chances.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:22 am

Double post ftw! :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuEfGbj9qS4
Still upset that they cut that show at 13 episodes :evil:

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:22 pm

I was surfing pweb the other day and every time Jota's avatar was on the screen, Ginny would point and say "Pig! Pig". I asked her what Alea's avatar was and she said "Bear!"

Clearly my child needs some geek education soon.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Even though I consider myself a Marvel man, through and through, I realized today I only own two Marvel volumes. The rest are mostly DC or Vertigo (which is DC), or Dark Horse.

What does this mean?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:49 pm

That, despite the fact that Marvel stories are good concepts, they aren't actually good as comics.

I'm a DC gal.

Marvel's insistence that it's in the "real world" throws me for a loop every time. I don't really want my superheroes mentioning pop stars. It gets dated very quickly.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:39 pm

Someday, someday I will have my own *sensible* library. It will have many, many shelves, and I won't have to double- or triple-stack any of my books. Nothing messes with an organised library like trying to maintain a system as well as keep the books you access more often on the front row.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

haidivolume
Launchie
Launchie

Postby haidivolume » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:26 am

MOD EDIT: Fare thee well, Spambot thingy.
Last edited by haidivolume on Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:45 am

I want to watch Brick.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”