Complete Randomness

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:10 am

Heheh, i have seen this fragment also quoted as manual for females during:
-Victorian Era, in England.
-40's in Spain, during the Francoist dictatorship.
-50's in the US.

This surely means it's apocryphal XD

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:52 am

-50's in the US.
It can't be American or it would say "cup of coffee" instead of "cup of tea."

For the most part, we (as a nation) stopped drinking hot tea in the morning when we threw a sh*tload of it in Boston Harbor.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:44 pm

I think I need a new phone. Not just because it is either not holding its charge or I need a new charger but because I have the nasty habit of attaching memories/feelings to my phones.

Phone #1: 2003. Blue, Nokia bar phone. Free with contract and had the best free game I've ever had on a cell phone. That became the Jon-phone. I originally got it because my parents were playfully complaining they couldn't get ahold of me because *gasp* I got a life and wasn't in my dorm room except to sleep. And then crap happened and the boy came along. Right before we parted ways, I canceled the service (unrelated to our heading towards a parting).

Phone #2: 2006. Black and silver flip phone. I think it was an Ericsson. This one I got entirely for a boy, so this is Chris-phone like whoa. I accidently broke this phone (no, really, it was an accident) a little over a year after we went separate ways.

Phone #3: 2007. Pink (blegh). Motorola flip phone. It was to replace Chris-phone and stayed that way a good long time, until Brat came around. Unfortunately, it's now the Brat-phone. I never liked this phone much but I'm cheap and it was the cheapest phone they had in.

Yeah. It's about time for a new one.

ETA: I actually keep the phones when I'm done with them. It's like a little phone graveyard.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:55 pm

I think that "Terminator Salvation" is very underrated by fans of the franchise.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:43 pm

I should really redo three high school classes, but registration already passed...
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Carrot hamburgler

Postby Graff^ » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:56 pm

I just rediscovered Top Gun. Great movie.
Where does friendship end and love begin?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:06 pm

I just rediscovered Top Gun. Great movie.
Great balls of fire, that just may be the coolest thing I've ever seen you say.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:09 pm

Poor Goose :cry:.

Is it just me or is Tom Cruise really short?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:20 pm

It is pretty well established that he is short for a man. It doesn't get in his way of making movies I tend to enjoy, though, so I don't much care.

I've seen and enjoyed all these BUT Legend (saw it, didn't enjoy it):
Valkyrie
Tropic Thunder
Lions for Lambs
War of the Worlds
Minority Report
Vanilla Sky
Eyes Wide Shut
Jerry Maguire
Interview with the Vampire
Far and Away
Born on the Fourth of July
Rain Man
Cocktail
Top Gun
Legend

I am deeply ashamed to say I have not seen:
Risky Business and A Few Good Men

Tom Cruise as a person, however, freaks me the hell out.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:29 pm

The ones I've seen I like. They follow as such.

Valkyrie
Tropic Thunder
War of the Worlds
Jerry Maguire
Rainman
Top Gun.

Mission Impossible is on now. Watching it. Anyone know if it's good?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:41 pm

Graff^ mentioned Forrest Gump in the Things I Love thread and it reminded me of the first (and last) time I saw it in its entirety. It was in theaters and my family went to see it on base, so we were surrounded by Marines; I mean, that theater had no empty seats. They were so raunchy and immature (which added to the enjoyment of the movie, somehow) but they weren't as bad for Forrest as they were for Power Rangers, which we also saw on base. One movie actually has implied sex and sexual topics and the other is the Power Rangers for crying out loud...but I guess the Pink Ranger really made their boat float.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:33 pm

Have you not watched A Few Good Men because you can't handle the truth? But seriously, how have you not seen this movie? It really is good.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Sonikku13 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:54 pm

I noticed something. Caspian is the codename for the Turion II Ultra.
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:03 pm

I'm just bummed because I vaguely remember being up for something last awards before the board crashed. Coincidence?

But then I can't say I disagree with the nominations. Except Jebus that is. Man is that guy coasting, all he seems to do is post in Bob about "feelings" and "girls" and s***, honestly if I wanted to know this kind of stuff I'd read your livejournal. Where's the young, edgy Jebus who-did-that-thing-I-can't-remember-but-was-probably-great gone?
Ha, Yebra, you bastard, don't make me go find some of your old Dear You posts.

But that said, totally accurate. I have taken this post to heart and have been on an intensive Re-Manning course. Now all I want to do is punch bitches and drive trucks.

BTW I am pained you and Dobie were not recognised by PWeb with at least nominations, those fools! You guys rock.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:16 am

It is pretty well established that he is short for a man. It doesn't get in his way of making movies I tend to enjoy, though, so I don't much care.

I've seen and enjoyed all these BUT Legend (saw it, didn't enjoy it):
Valkyrie
Tropic Thunder
Lions for Lambs
War of the Worlds
Minority Report
Vanilla Sky
Eyes Wide Shut
Jerry Maguire
Interview with the Vampire
Far and Away
Born on the Fourth of July
Rain Man
Cocktail
Top Gun
Legend

Tom Cruise as a person, however, freaks me the hell out.
I hate Tom Cruise so much, but you haven't even seen his best movie. Go watch The Last Samurai.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:39 am

Now all I want to do is punch bitches and drive trucks.
What about riding around on a boat?

Boats 'n Hoes.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:26 pm

I'm too manly for a boat. My only mode of transportation are trucks decorated in confederate flags and old bumper stickers supporting Bush for a third term in 2008.

Wait, I think I maybe joined the Re-Rednecking course. That would explain all the drunken domestic abuse I've been doing.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:30 pm

How are you supposed to go big bass fishin' without a boat?

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:22 am

Council to ban the word 'obesity' - so fat children don't get offended

Sorry, what? You're going to ban the use of a legitimately correct and accurate word over fears that children may be offended by it's definition?

Oh wait...where have I seen that done before...?

Kinda a weird signal to send. On the one hand, there's the "everybody can participate" type of racial reparations that they're pushing, and on the other "Obesity is who you are, like your race or gender" that really doesn't bode well for the future of these children. Truth be told, though, if they're being classified as obese as children...maybe their future doesn't bode so well to begin with.

Note: The above post does not infer any sort of diminished intellectual capacity or personal value based on obesity; I'm merely pointing out the obvious health concerns related to childhood obesity and the example of parenting/parental ability it displays.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:46 am

I am all for not offending people, i mean, i am a frigging bleeding heart as right-wing nutjobs put it, but that's too stupid for words.

Geeze, it's not fat, lardass, couch potato or so many derogative terms that are usually slurred. It's the correct word for an illness.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:06 pm

Arg, starting work has already been delayed by 4 hours today. Is my ride ever going to show, or should I devote today to another walk with resumes?
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:17 pm

I've just tried four real men jokes, none of which were funny.

Real men admit failure.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:00 am

Real men don't fail, what they end up doing is precisely what they always intended to do, even if they never explicitly said so, or indeed claimed they planned to do something else entirely.

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Sonikku13 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:14 am

Real men don't fail, what they end up doing is precisely what they always intended to do, even if they never explicitly said so, or indeed claimed they planned to do something else entirely.
Real men would be themselves. Real men would admit their mistakes when they are wrong.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:20 am

Real men would admit their mistakes when they are wrong.
Real men are never wrong.

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Sonikku13 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Then that means there are no real men in the world, as there are is no one like Bean in the world.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Mod-people, did one of you up the PM storage limits or did I clean out my inbox while suffering from a bout of amnesia?

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:16 pm

the PM limit is increased whenever mine fills up. ;)

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:19 pm

Mod-power corrupts...
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:24 pm

So pweb, since I'm clueless with women, I can't tell whether this girl in my psych class likes me or not.
So... I'm asking your opinion. :?

Now, I don't want to read into anything, but just the other day when I we were doing this partner activity, she suddenly decided that she looked "like s***" and started putting on makeup.
(Might be a possible indicator)

And, we were talking about something and the conversation went somewhere, and she suddenly(unecessarily) touched my arm to tell me a not-that-good corny joke.
(Is that some sort of body language or what? Do you girls just touch people's arms for no reason?)

She also manuevered our conversation to where we were talking about facebook, and said something about how she was gonna look for me on facebook. Though, it was sort of inline with our conversation.
(However, I don't know or can't really say that she maneuvered it. More likely that it got there naturally)

She started rubbing my hair. (Which could be simply because she isn't used to feeling the fuzzy hair of black people. Not the first time that's happened)

When the conversation got to pumpkin pie, and I told her that I've never eaten it, she then stated that she'd bake?make? some pumpkin pie and bring it to me sometime.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've heard her say in the midst of conversation with the person who used to sit behind me, thus right next to her, that she "likes black people".
Of course, "like" could mean several different things.

Last, anything indicating she might be attracted to me above, could be invalidated by the fact that she can't seem to remember my name. :)
Which, most people can remember, do to how unique and original it is.
Though, I guess it could work to the opposite effect, where it's uniqueness makes it hard to remember.....

What say you?
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:19 pm

I think every girl is different. I've done all of those things to guys, with no intentions behind them. Like, I love rubbing Asians' hair. It just is so interesting! But you never know, I guess. But honestly, I remember the names of the guys I like. From that, I would say be careful. If she were really interested, she would know you're name.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:05 pm

I don't think the not remembering the name is a deal breaker.

Play the waiting game CezeN. Let her make the first moves. Wait for her to add you on facebook, and for her to leave you a comment or start talking to you through the chat. This is can help to gauge to see how interested she is.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:56 pm

So pweb, since I'm clueless with women, I can't tell whether this girl in my psych class likes me or not.
So... I'm asking your opinion. :?
This might be a crazy theory, but...ask [her?] If he does then awesome. If he doesn't, then you are still friends. I find a direct and honest approach is really the best way to go.
I thought this applied and given something similar just came up (it is where I borrowed this quote from, afterall), I'm a bit surprised you're even asking for anyone's opinion.

As Kelsey said (only substitute "know" for "think" or take it out altogether), every girl is different.

I don't touch people, men or women, unless I am demonstrating my hands really are as cold as I say, shaking someone's hand in a professional setting, or hugging them by way of saying hello or goodbye because they are super close friends. There is the rare high-five (not enough people do this anymore, sadness) but truly, I don't invade people's personal space unless I mean something by it. Even hanging onto a female friend (linking arms, cuddling, side-hugging for more than a brief moment) -something I've only ever done with one- means something, though it's nothing sexual; it simply means, "I am comfortable, safe, and trust you more than most people."

I guess you can be a coward and do what Jeebs says or you can ask. However, playing that game would come across as indifference to me and I'd make it a point to move on.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:10 pm

I agree with Jebus' idea. That's my opinon if
it matters any.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:08 pm

^^^Umm how old are you?(this is my way of deciding if your opinion matters)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am pretty much indifferent though.

However, I am also curious.

I mean, if I asked her and she said yes, I would do... absolutely nothing.
I mean, I just don't see what the point would be of having a relationship with a High School Junior girl, a couple of months before leaving for college.

I've read incidents of people's highschool relationships thwarting their college plans. Of people going to a certain college, simply because it's close enough to their boy/girlfriend. However, what happens when you guys break up? After all, that's the main/real reason you chose that college? If the base of your decision is gone, where does that leave you?
Regretting going to a community college instead of your dream state university.

Which is why I'm taking the "cowardly" approach...
Well, also because the waiting game sounds fun!
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Return to “Milagre Town Square”