Complete Randomness

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:45 pm

No, Kirsten is fairly often pronounced "Kyer-sten." Unfortunately for me (Curse-ten).
Oh good! Curse-ten is how I say your name in my head.
-Kim

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:56 pm

I was having a discussion with a friend -someone I've known for over 12 years and never considered telling about Pweb- and she mentioned lurking at a movie forum and being too nervous to post and such. I was considering finally telling her I was registered here when she says in shock, "Alea...some of these people have been on this forum since, like, 2000 and have 5,000 posts! That's a lot of posting; they must just go to work and post. All day. I hope I'm never like that." That shut me up. I have about 5,000 Pweb posts since late 2003.

I've never watched 30 Rock and have one hell of a time faithfully watching anything...but I almost want to start after hearing that a character did part of the "Top That" 'rap' from Teen Witch as seen here. To compare to the original, for those who've never seen it, look here. I LOVE that movie. I watched it no less than 3 times a day for months when it first aired on (and was taped off of) HBO. If only I could find it on DVD.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:12 am

I was having a discussion with a friend -someone I've known for over 12 years and never considered telling about Pweb- and she mentioned lurking at a movie forum and being too nervous to post and such. I was considering finally telling her I was registered here when she says in shock, "Alea...some of these people have been on this forum since, like, 2000 and have 5,000 posts! That's a lot of posting; they must just go to work and post. All day. I hope I'm never like that." That shut me up. I have about 5,000 Pweb posts since late 2003.
hah. Since late 2004, I have close to 8,000 posts between Cemetech and UnitedTI (two major TI calculator programming forums), and at least 2,000 scattered between other TI forums, and I've been officially retired from calculator programming for at least a year and a half.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:44 am

at the main movie forum I've been a member at since Feb 2001 I've got just barely over 5000 posts. I'd never actually paid much attention to my post count. :-P
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:47 am

Your friend probably didn't stop to do the math and realize that 5000 posts in 8 years averages to less than 2 posts a day. And seeing as how one might only take a few minutes to make a post, she may very well spend more time each day doing mundane things like sitting on the toilet or waiting at traffic lights than these people do posting.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:11 am

Your friend probably didn't stop to do the math and realize that 5000 posts in 8 years averages to less than 2 posts a day. And seeing as how one might only take a few minutes to make a post, she may very well spend more time each day doing mundane things like sitting on the toilet or waiting at traffic lights than these people do posting.
It's very true, though I find that a lot of people's posting habits tend to be centered on long posting sprees (20+ posts in a day for several days) interspersed with weeks of saying very little.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:44 am

also:
an amazing article on the research into female desire from the new york times

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:22 am

Scones with crème fraiche and jam are delightful.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:20 pm

It's very true, though I find that a lot of people's posting habits tend to be centered on long posting sprees (20+ posts in a day for several days) interspersed with weeks of saying very little.
>.>
The enemy's fly is down.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:54 pm

How long do you suppose it will be after Bush leaves office before the Left actually has a rational thought again?

Future historians will read these documents and talk about the "mania" of bush-bashing, regarding it as a strange phenomenon. They will assess Bush as being somewhere between an ordinary and an excellent president, and they will marvel that the American intelligentsia was so uniform in their irrational condemnation of things they approved of when done by Democrats. They will call this an era of irrational partisanship, with the most irrational utterances coming from the Left.

Meanwhile, I can't wait till most of our smart and talented writers start thinking again.
Oh OSC, me neither.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:57 pm

I gotta agree with Jebus:
Justinian was incompetent and all his conquests soon evaporated, leaving behind a much worse situation than he had found. Bush's military and political operations, while there were the normal number of glitches (or fewer) along the way, seem to be amazingly successful; unless his successors blow it, everything he did seems likely to last, to the great benefit of the whole world, no matter how stupidly unsupportive they have been.
http://greensboro.rhinotimes.com/Articl ... _Rome.html

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:47 pm

I knew a family with seven children. The first six children, ranging in age from 14 to 4, all had the same hair color as did their parents, bright red. The father had bright red hair and the mother had bright red hair. The children had bright red hair. Then I looked at the youngest child, two years of age, and he had blond hair. I mean really, really blond hair. When I saw him I said to my friend, "I really hope the father carries no delusions that the last child is actually his."

It is now four years later and the youngest (although he is no longer the youngest) has blond hair still and the two new additions to the family have bright red hair. Now, it could be genetics but...
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:18 pm

Blagojevich is now officially out. Our Senate voted unanimously to boot him from office and make sure he never held public office ever again.

Thank goodness.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:38 pm

Sometimes my foot cramps up if I curl my toes the wrong way.

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:39 am

confession: every worst case scenario seems to flit through my mind constantly. miserable. my mind plays mean games on me.
The password is "guilty"

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:02 pm

It is really amazing to me how there can be so much posting for a week or two and then the forum is completely dead...
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:03 pm

I think that means people have gone out and gotten lives; it happens.

But it could be slower...I lurk somewhere that makes Pweb look like a non-stop posting party.

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:30 pm

it's not my fault!!! i'm just waiting for other people to say things I can reply to :P

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:35 pm

Maybe you should start a new thread; possibly on socks. Or hats. Please do one on hats so the Canadians will finally understand what to call beanies. Actually, you should just make a thread on how Canadians are wrong on just about everything, always.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:38 pm

Maybe you should start a new thread; possibly on socks. Or hats. Please do one on hats so the Canadians will finally understand what to call beanies. Actually, you should just make a thread on how Canadians are wrong on just about everything, always.
that sounds like an excellent idea actually, though I have to wait until my new hat is fully constructed. also, do you lurk invisibly on AIM? I felt that you would be a fairly entertaining person to be entertained by in conversation, so I put you on my buddy list, but I never see you signed in.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:49 am

Oh, no, I'm not entertaining at all in real time; quite the opposite, actually. I can get testimonials if you'd like.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:43 am

Actually, you should just make a thread on how Canadians are wrong on just about everything, always.
Seems to me like someone is trying to provoke a Canadian...
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:05 am

Wait...that would only work on one Canadian?

I sure hope it's Jan, then. I like her and I think she likes me, and this is the only way I know to show someone how I feel.

*provoke provoke*

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:35 am

I am watching Encounters at the End of the World. I have concluded it is colder in Antarctica than in Canada, therefore Canada has nothing to be superior about.

*provoke, provoke*

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:40 am

(Silly Americans don't know that it's impossible to provoke us calm and rational Canadians) :roll:

*Pats silly Americans on the head*
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:44 am

(Silly Americans don't know that it's impossible to provoke us calm and rational Canadians) :roll:

*Pats silly Americans on the head*
That reminds me of This Molson Beer commercial.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:04 am

Ahahah... I never saw that commercial. That is cute.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:32 am

Wait...that would only work on one Canadian?

I sure hope it's Jan, then. I like her and I think she likes me, and this is the only way I know to show someone how I feel.

*provoke provoke*
*is provoked*

Well....you live where it's too... something... something...

I give up, I know nothing about AZ.

Doesn't America just consist of LA and New York?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:29 pm

AZ has aliens! And cacti... And heat...

My history teacher enjoys commenting on the greater population of bears in Canada than people. He also makes fun of the Japanese. And women. We're not very good friends.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:44 pm

My history teacher enjoys commenting on the greater population of bears in Canada than people.
If there were over 30 million bears in Canada, I don't think they'd be considered endangered.

:P
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:02 pm

If there were over 30 million bears in Canada, I don't think they'd be considered endangered.
Wait, I thought there were two bear hunting seasons in Canada...
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:19 pm

AZ has aliens! And cacti... And heat...
And the Grand Canyon. And the southern most skiing resort in the US. And no daylight savings time. And the London Bridge. And some craters. And me!

Okay, so it doesn't sound so impressive but with the exception of the corner I currently live in, it's an awesome state.

ETA:

I've said this before, but even though I don't need glasses [edit], I think they are fun to wear.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:24 pm

Because I think it's cool, I shall now subject you all to my homework:

Explain assimilation in the following data from Korean:

[papkap], [pakkap]

[kamgi], [kaNgi] (N=velar nasal)

Code: Select all

C C | | Place Place | | Placeº Place º | | LAB Place' | DOR
(Darn boards disliking excess spaces in the text...)
This assumes that there is a hierarchy of place nodes which may be marked differently in different languages:

C
|
Place
|
Placeº
|
Place'
|
Place"

The initial Place node allows for side branching for such values as Nasal; Placeº is virtually always marked highest for CORONAL, if not always; and Place' and Place" are each marked for LABIAL and DORSAL, although which bears which marking strongest varies from language to language. According to the data here, it appears that in Korean Place' is most marked for LABIAL and Place" is most marked for DORSAL.

You may resume your regularly scheduled madness and sanity at will.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

surditate_vero
Launchie
Launchie

Postby surditate_vero » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:31 pm

*brain explodes*

That's my answer to your homework, Rei! =P
What evil is there in deafness, truly?
~Cicero

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:14 pm

My history teacher enjoys commenting on the greater population of bears in Canada than people.

:P
Addison County, VT, where I live, has more cows than people!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”