Complete Randomness

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: Complete Randomness

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:50 pm

I should add, a lot of my adventures in new foods and my desire to be more open to food experiences is because of you all. You guys are the positive side to the foodie coin. :)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:05 pm

I don't know; it's a bit of a sore point with me if I go to a Mexican restaurant and don't even recognize what I'm being served anymore because it's been so Anglicized to be fancier, it's no longer what they're calling it (I had this happen in Chicago; I had a much tastier, much less expensive, more authentic experience later). Things don't have to be fancy/expensive/slaved over to be worthwhile.
That reminds me of a very popular restaurant in Spain, "El bulli", with a world-famous chef best known for his innovative approach to cooking. Apparently, the place had a waiting line that could be measured in months (since the cook closed it down recently to restart his research, i guess a lot of people were frustrated), that eating there was an experience.

I don't want to be a judge without having ever eaten there, but honestly, that "tortilla deconstruida" (deconstructed potato omelette) doesn't seem to taste anywhere as good as my mom's tortilla :D

Spanish Tortilla (potato omelette):

Deconstruction:

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:31 pm

This came up (again) for me because I went to dinner with coworkers and everyone but me and the person who abstains for religious reasons got wine. I did not because, besides the really cheap $5-7 a bottle stuff that I do like, I have found wine to be such a chore to drink. As in, it took me four hours once to finish half a serving and I chased down every drink with a bite of dinner for as long as I could milk that. After dinner and dessert were done, I took sips still but had to work myself up to taking the sip and then swallowing it. I've had this same problem at wine-tastings, where they couldn't bring the buckets by fast enough.
I'm in the exact same boat. I'm starting to think i'm just not a wine person at all. I'm also the same with beers. I'm so tired of people telling me "You just haven't found the one for you yet" and then listing about a million different brews and types. I've tried so many and all of them have been absolutely horrible! A couple of days ago my older sister forced a hard apple cider on me promising it'll be sweeter and taste just like apple cider. Nope, still horrible.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:33 pm

What kind of hard cider was it? My favorite adult beverage by far, but it does depend on which one - some are harder than others, and extra flavors (maple, cinnamon/nutmeg, raspberry, etc) can be nice too. If you don't like cider your only recourse for alcohol intake might be Mike's Hard Lemonades though ;)
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:46 pm

I can stand Mike's Hard Lemonaids. It's usually my drink of choice when I do want to have a drink (unless we're out and I just tell the bartender to make me something so fruity I can't taste the alcohol).

For the life of me I can't remember the name of the hard cider. They told me it was supposed to taste just like apple cider, but I didn't pick up anything that tasted like apples.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:09 pm

If you're up for trying it again, I recommend some of Woodchuck's yummy cider varieties. Of their seasonal varieties Fall Cider (cinnamon and nutmeg), Spring Cider (maple and brown sugar), and Summer (blueberry) are delicious. Of their usual flavors, the Amber, Pear, Raspberry, and 802 are all pretty good.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:27 pm

I hated wine until I started drinking muscadine wine. It's so sweet! It's wonderful. There's also this big trend here of wine slushies, which are wonderful.
-Kim

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:41 pm

I read that as mustache wine and there it will stay. Kim likes mustache wine.

Although my favorites are bitter, hoppy beers, I can vouch for Woodchuck cider as well. But I have only had the Amber and the Pear.
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:59 pm

I like beer in everything but beer. Pancakes, soup, bread, etc.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:03 pm

I like pancakes in my kitchen drawers.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:07 pm

That's an odd place for them!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:10 pm

It was also a bad reference to Scrubs. I was going to say I like pancakes in my pancakes and then I thought of Scrubs and couldn't help it.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Why is there silverware in the pancake drawer!?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:22 pm

:mrgreen:

Ah. That warm, fuzzy feeling you get when someone knows exactly what you're talking about.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:24 pm

I wanted a snack, so I ate 2 cloves of garlic. Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:47 am

Just chiming in to say that I also hate all wine and beer.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:47 am

I like pancakes. Made some yesterday with a jar of baby applesauce in the batter and topped with baby sweet potato mush (for Atty) and strawberry preserves (for me).

I enjoy food, but I'll never be a foodie. Thanks, Jan, I enjoyed/appreciated your response, particularly the music comparison.

I like spaghetti, too. Made it for supper last night. At my mom's suggestion, put some A1 in the sauce. Amazingly yummy.

And I like beer. It makes me a jolly good fellow. Except I don't drink it much anymore. I learned to like it while living in the alcoholic state of North Dakota, as a means of survival. Which also means I particularly learned to like.cheap beer. (Also, Blue Moon.)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:34 pm

This came up (again) for me because I went to dinner with coworkers and everyone but me and the person who abstains for religious reasons got wine. I did not because, besides the really cheap $5-7 a bottle stuff that I do like, I have found wine to be such a chore to drink. As in, it took me four hours once to finish half a serving and I chased down every drink with a bite of dinner for as long as I could milk that. After dinner and dessert were done, I took sips still but had to work myself up to taking the sip and then swallowing it. I've had this same problem at wine-tastings, where they couldn't bring the buckets by fast enough.

I've also had smoked cheese (and other types of fancy cheese) that, were I a little less socially aware, I would have spit back out the moment it touched my tongue. The idea of throwing down $5 for a piece of cheese the size of a quarter that tastes like garbage to me in order to build an appreciation for it is just absurd. I know I can get a block of whatever it is I do like for less than that and be happy about what I'm eating.

I would okay with letting people enjoy theirs and me enjoying mine but I get so much crap for this from otherwise really kind, great people, usually when I don't order much because they suggested a restaurant where I find more food than not to be of a type I won't eat. Questions about whether or not I'm on a diet or whatnot and it's a little...weird, I guess, for me to say "I'm not interested in that."

I have no problems with exploring foods; depending on who's telling me I should try something, I more often than not try everything that is put before me. I even like some of it but when I don't, I would appreciate my disliking of it being respected and not treated as a failure on my part. "But...did you try it like this?" or "Oh, it was just how it was prepared at that one place, try it here..." Look, no. I just don't like that. For example, I had stuff at a Greek restaurant that I would consider, not gourmet but of a fancier variety of food (they set this cheese on fire before they served it, for instance); I was hesitant to try it but ended up loving it.

And regular food...I've had so many pastas, for instance, that were prepared in ways I could never do it, ingredient-wise, and they tasted okay but I would pick mac'n-cheese or spaghetti any day of the week over these things. It's not just familiarity but the fact that simple/cheap is sometimes the tastier option. I don't know; it's a bit of a sore point with me if I go to a Mexican restaurant and don't even recognize what I'm being served anymore because it's been so Anglicized to be fancier, it's no longer what they're calling it (I had this happen in Chicago; I had a much tastier, much less expensive, more authentic experience later). Things don't have to be fancy/expensive/slaved over to be worthwhile.
Sometimes I'll ask people to give a thing another chance. Green tea, for example. A LOT of people make it wrong unknowingly, so if someone tells me they hate it, especially if they say "it's so gross and bitter", I ask them to try it again if I make it properly. I always end the request, though, with "... and if you still don't like it, yep, you just don't like green tea, and that's cool."
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:15 am

Green tea, for example. A LOT of people make it wrong unknowingly, so if someone tells me they hate it, especially if they say "it's so gross and bitter", I ask them to try it again if I make it properly. I always end the request, though, with "... and if you still don't like it, yep, you just don't like green tea, and that's cool."
I remember drinking suntori green tea when i was in Japan, and then other brews of green tea... and i always ended up with the same impression: it tastes like wood would. Is there a wrong way to make it? everbody drinks tea over here.... hehe

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:43 am

Green tea, by itself, tastes like grass to me. But there are green tea combos (with mint and lemongrass, etc) that I like a lot.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:46 am

The two most common errors with green tea are A) pouring boiling water on it, as opposed to boiled water that has been let to sit for 5min or so, and B) over-steeping it. Either of those things can make the tea go very bitter.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:00 am

Another "common" error is to squeeze the bag when you're done... that dumps all the "trapped" tannins into the tea, adding to that bitterness!

I think we Americans (and our tea-party brothers, the Brits) tend to brew our tea much stronger than many other places I've visited. Elsewhere, they seem to basically drink a hot, aromatic water (frequently sweetened and often with milk!) ... not that it's bad, but it obviously changes the experience. The Brits do the milk thing in tea too, which definitely changes it for the milder. [Kind of ironic, though, since most Europeans drink coffee much stiffer than we do, ie espressos, etc.]

Obviously, Asians don't tend put milk in their green tea to mellow it out, and I do really like it - especially the authentic stuff (i.e. when I'm in Japan)... I really do like green tea, though, but I don't seem to make it myself very often; I prefer instead to buy bulk Earl Grey or the such.
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:32 am

If it tastes like grass, you might just not like green tea. Except then I'd ask you to let me brew you a cup of jasmine green tea, which is ever so lightly floral and might appeal. But if you didn't like it, again, okay, you just don't like it and that's cool. ;) I do try not to be a pushy pain in the ass.

Generally, if it's something I really like, I try to figure out what the core of the dislike is, and if it's something that might have resulted from poor preparation/presentation, I ask if I can make/buy/let them taste my meal of an iteration I know is quality. If you're going to reject something, no worries we all have our dislikes, but make sure you're disliking the actual thing, not an incompetent version of the thing. If that makes sense. And also I try to shoulder the cost and make it myself or offer some of my meal if we're out, 'cause it's not fair to ask someone to go out on a limb otherwise.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:07 pm

WTF!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XuVxJrwsgI

the Doggie Doo game.... it poops

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:36 pm

I have so much free time at work on Saturdays and it's killing me. I finish everything within the first three hours and it's pretty much up to me what I do for the rest of day. Sure, I have customers through out the day, but they are few and far inbetween. I've been using the last couple of Saturdays to catch up on TV shows and watch movies.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:26 pm

I really love wine, but not every wine. I've been to nearly every winery in my state, and frankly, some wines (at all price points) are just not worth the effort to pop the cork.

tangent: I had this one red I really, really loved. It was aged in old Jack Daniels barrels.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:49 pm

That awkward moment when you have to explain to internet personages that being culturally literate and having a decent ability to spell anglicized Arabic words doesn't actually mean that you're muslim.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:49 am

That awkward moment when you have to explain to internet personages that being culturally literate and having a decent ability to spell anglicized Arabic words doesn't actually mean that you're muslim.
Her English is too good -he said-, that clearly indicates she is foreign.
-Prof. Henry Higgins

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:12 am

-Prof. Henry Higgins
Sounds about right. That's how Isaac Asimov's character Griswold caught a German spy in No Refuge Could Save (caught them in a word association with the third verse of the Star Spangled Banner, which no American would ever know). ;)

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:28 am

There's more than one verse? Huh.

Actually watched My Fair Lady the other night and enjoyed it so very much.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:28 am

-Prof. Henry Higgins
Sounds about right. That's how Isaac Asimov's character Griswold caught a German spy in No Refuge Could Save (caught them in a word association with the third verse of the Star Spangled Banner, which no American would ever know). ;)
Ooooo! Ooooo! Mormons know it! It's in our hymn book.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:13 am

It actually was in our Catholic hymnal, too. Actually probably in the... second songbook. Whatever its name is. We have two, is the point, and the second one has the Star-Spangled Banner! Normally sung at the Fourth of July, I think.

Heck if I know the third verse, though. :P
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:17 am

It was in our Baptist hymnal, but I don't think we ever sang it (certainly not past the 2nd verse).

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:36 am

I know it! I know it!

We learned all four verses in choir back in middle school.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:59 am

Actually, it's probably in our hymnal as well.

(Actually, I did know there were multiple verses - but I don't know any of them.)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Return to “Milagre Town Square”