Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
User avatar
Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:59 pm
Title: Ozymandias

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:12 pm

How else do you teach kids about taxes?
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

User avatar
Briseis_Liberated
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Briseis_Liberated » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:04 pm

Allowance.
One for you...three for me!
TAXES!
One mind can think only of its own questions; it rarely surprises itself. -Bean ES

User avatar
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 3040
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby locke » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:59 pm

I will be shocked, shocked, if Syphon doesn't use that exact technique.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

User avatar
Briseis_Liberated
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Briseis_Liberated » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:45 am

:mrgreen: it does work.
But my kids still think its just sharing.
One mind can think only of its own questions; it rarely surprises itself. -Bean ES

User avatar
Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:59 pm
Title: Ozymandias

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:58 pm

Let me tell you how it will be: there's one for you, nineteen for me. 'Cause I'm the taxman. Yeah, I'm the taxman.

Should five percent appear too small, be thankful I don't take it all. 'Cause I'm the taxman. Yeah, I'm the taxman
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

User avatar
GS
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:55 am
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: February 2nd, 1922

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby GS » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:03 pm

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

User avatar
Briseis_Liberated
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Briseis_Liberated » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:28 pm

Eff yeah!! :love:
One mind can think only of its own questions; it rarely surprises itself. -Bean ES

User avatar
starlooker
Commander
Commander
Posts: 3823
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:19 pm
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: October 28th, 2002
Location: Home. With cats who have names.
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby starlooker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:02 am

Irritation: Atty has a stupid little electronic microphone someone gave him. It irritates me in general, but here's what really (irrationally) bugs me. One of the things it does is announce "Rock n Roll!" or "Classical!" followed by some little public domain tune. The fact that "Froggy Went A-Courtin'" is being billed as a rock song just annoys the tar out of me.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

User avatar
elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1977
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:27 pm
Title: The Bombadil
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby elfprince13 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:37 am

Be very very glad it isn't one of these:
Image


Noisemakers are the gift that keeps on giving.

1) Keep the microphone in good condition.
2) Wait until "someone" has their own kids.
3) ????
4) Profit.
Vermont Sustainable Heating Initiative
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."
Image

User avatar
starlooker
Commander
Commander
Posts: 3823
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:19 pm
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: October 28th, 2002
Location: Home. With cats who have names.
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby starlooker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:50 am

Truth.

Another irritation. I actually find myself singing the little ditties from his toy remote.

Press the buttons, song a song
learn some numbers, count along!
You can start with number one.
Changing channels is such fun!
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

User avatar
Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 4026
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:32 pm
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: February 25th, 2002
Location: The Far East (of Canada)

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Jayelle » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:58 am

I have taken batteries out of so many toys because of that. I don't hate all singing toys, but some of them...
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

User avatar
elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1977
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:27 pm
Title: The Bombadil
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby elfprince13 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:15 am

I turned my childhood talking remote control frontloader ("LIFT IT UP, LIFT IT UP! DROP IT, DROP IT") into a killer robot for my high school physics class. Got two years of dominating robot king of the hill with it, and then passed it on to my younger brother who got 2 more :D
Vermont Sustainable Heating Initiative
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."
Image

User avatar
wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:10 pm
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: January 25th, 2003
Location: Chapel Hill
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby wizzard » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm normally a very laid back guy, but I get really, irrationally irritated when I'm using a device (computer, smartphone, tablet, etc.), and someone just reaches over and starts pushing buttons. I have absolutely no problem with you looking over my shoulder, or telling me to click on something, or even asking if you can press something/look at something. But when you just assume that whatever you want to do is more important than what I'm doing, and you can just take control, I lose it.

Unfortunately, this has suddenly become my girlfriend's new favorite thing to do. The first few times it happened, I was too stunned/annoyed to even say anything about it, so I just let it slide. I'm really hoping next time I can keep it together enough to calmly ask her not to do that, without her realizing how frustrated I actually am.
Last edited by wizzard on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member since: January 25, 2003

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

User avatar
elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1977
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:27 pm
Title: The Bombadil
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby elfprince13 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:09 pm

wizzard wrote:I'm normally a very laid back guy, but I get really, irrationally irritated when I'm using a device (computer, smartphone, tablet, etc.), and someone just reaches over and starts pushing buttons. I have absolutely no problem with you looking over my shoulder, or telling me to click on something, or even asking if you can press something/look at something. But when you just assume that whatever you want to do is more important than what I'm doing, and you can just take control, I lost it.

Guilty. Though most often when I do it, it's because I've been spending 15 minutes trying to help you do something simple and I'm assuming whatever you do next is still going to be wrong. Some people still get frustrated when I do that, because "they want to learn how to do it themselves".
Vermont Sustainable Heating Initiative
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."
Image

User avatar
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 5185
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:30 pm
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: February 4th, 2002
Location: ^ Geez, read the sign.
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:13 pm

I have sort of a blanket ban on toys that make electronic noises. Mechanical noises (clacks, beeps, dings, etc.) I am okay with, but not electronic.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

User avatar
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Posts: 7829
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:32 pm
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:36 pm

Irrational Irritation: The Black Friday sales seem really lame and not all that significantly lower than normal prices on things I'm actually interested in.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

User avatar
steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2452
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:36 pm
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000
Location: colorado, baby!
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby steph » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Gravity Defier wrote:Irrational Irritation: The Black Friday sales seem really lame and not all that significantly lower than normal prices on things I'm actually interested in.


See, this makes me happy because I don't feel like I need to drag myself out of bed and participate in the insanity. If they had great prices on things that I needed, then I'd feel guilty about not being frugal enough when I wanted to just stay home.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

User avatar
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Posts: 7829
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:32 pm
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:19 pm

It's especially irrational for me to be irritated because I work Black Friday and I have no vehicle to get to these places, anyway.

:?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

User avatar
Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2418
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:48 pm
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: March 16th, 2004
Location: Singing on Krikkit.
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Petra456 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:38 pm

So far the only thing i've seen that will make me actually go out is $5 pillows, and that's just because I desperately need new pillows! At least it's a sale that starts at 8 and i'll be home by 9.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

User avatar
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 3040
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby locke » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:19 pm

huh, I think the bluray selection/prices this year are pretty spectacular, Brave for $8!
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

User avatar
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Posts: 7829
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:32 pm
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:29 pm

I do not have a BluRay player and I haven't bought DVDs for myself since pre-fiasco 2008. It's amazing what a much smaller income will do for my spending habits. :)

Mostly I was looking out for stuff I still need around the apartment or clothes to keep me from freezing. The sale prices weren't anything I'd pay in either case.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

User avatar
Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2418
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:48 pm
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: March 16th, 2004
Location: Singing on Krikkit.
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Petra456 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:30 am

locke wrote:huh, I think the bluray selection/prices this year are pretty spectacular, Brave for $8!


I always say i'm going to stay clear of the blurays/dvds, but I always end up picking out a couple. Last year I got season one of The Walking Dead for $10. I always keep a look out for the $2 dvds because they're usually older ones and I find a lot that fun memories with my best friend, and they make great cheap gifts!
Member since March 16th, 2004.



And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

User avatar
neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Posts: 2513
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:26 pm
Title: Huey Revolutionary
Location: Canada

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Irrational irritation: when people my age (I'm a couple of weeks shy of 29) go on about "getting old".

Recent examples include a facebook status which reads, "was asked if I'm over 25 when buying a lottery ticket... Made my day!" This person is 29, it's not an amazing feat to pass for 24! Also, since when do you need to be 25 to buy a lottery ticket??

Another facebook status from a different female friend who just turned 29: "Was just hit on by a 19 year old. I guess I've still got it! I feel like such a cougar lol!" 'Cause, you know, most 29 year old women are sagging hags who send horny teenagers running the other way.

These are just recent examples among various "not as young as I used to be" type remarks from people who aren't even 30 yet. Am I hypersensitive about aging or is it a bit ridiculous to hear people in their late 20s talk like they're over the hill?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

User avatar
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Posts: 7829
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:32 pm
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:13 pm

I talk about being old all the time and make no apologies for it since I mean it quite tongue in cheek. I don't, however, think it's irrational to find it irritating. Just realize, people who use it like I do know exactly how not-old we are.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

User avatar
neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Posts: 2513
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:26 pm
Title: Huey Revolutionary
Location: Canada

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm definitely talking about non-tongue in cheek references here.

I often give "back in my day..." speeches to my students to emphasize how "old" I am.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."

- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

User avatar
elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 1977
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:27 pm
Title: The Bombadil
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:42 pm

neo-dragon wrote:Irrational irritation: when people my age (I'm a couple of weeks shy of 29) go on about "getting old".

Recent examples include a facebook status which reads, "was asked if I'm over 25 when buying a lottery ticket... Made my day!" This person is 29, it's not an amazing feat to pass for 24! Also, since when do you need to be 25 to buy a lottery ticket??

Another facebook status from a different female friend who just turned 29: "Was just hit on by a 19 year old. I guess I've still got it! I feel like such a cougar lol!" 'Cause, you know, most 29 year old women are sagging hags who send horny teenagers running the other way.

These are just recent examples among various "not as young as I used to be" type remarks from people who aren't even 30 yet. Am I hypersensitive about aging or is it a bit ridiculous to hear people in their late 20s talk like they're over the hill?


The gray matter starts going around 28 or 29, if I remember correctly, so it's not totally ridiculous ;)
Vermont Sustainable Heating Initiative
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."
Image

User avatar
neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Posts: 2513
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:26 pm
Title: Huey Revolutionary
Location: Canada

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Which is actually pretty sad when you consider that the brain doesn't even totally finish developing until around 20-21, so we basically get about an 8 year window when our brains are at their peak, and so many people do their best to wreak it with drugs and alcohol during those years. :)
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."

- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

User avatar
Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 4026
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:32 pm
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: February 25th, 2002
Location: The Far East (of Canada)

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Jayelle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Irritation: Paul and I decided to watch all of the Star Trek movies on Netflix, and they don't have subtitles for Klingon (or Vulcan) on any of them. I mean, seriously? I know *some* people speak Klingon, but it's kinda necessary to have subtitles. How do you even do that anyway? Stupid Netflix.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

User avatar
neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Posts: 2513
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:26 pm
Title: Huey Revolutionary
Location: Canada

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:55 pm

They will not dwell with the honoured dead in Sto-vo-kor! :x
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."

- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

User avatar
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 5185
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:30 pm
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: February 4th, 2002
Location: ^ Geez, read the sign.
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:03 pm

This is really petty, but it's bugging me.

The Garfield comic for June 29, 1987 has Garfield lamenting that it's the "longest Monday". Jim Davis, why could you not have run that strip a week earlier, for the solstice?! The Monday previous was, in fact, THE LONGEST MONDAY OF THE YEAR. :bash:
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2048
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:43 pm
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: January 10th, 2005

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:25 pm

Irrational irritation: "Mind blown" images on Pinterest that are completely inaccurate. Today's example: two sets of identical twins would have identical children.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

User avatar
Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 4026
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:32 pm
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: February 25th, 2002
Location: The Far East (of Canada)

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Jayelle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:35 pm

Prepare yourself, it's a Jan rant.

Via the magic of Pinterest, today I found this: Image
You can buy it at Target for a little over 10 bucks.

LISTEN TO ME PEOPLE WHO BUY THIS. YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT.

Here is the plot of A Charlie Brown Christmas:
-Charlie Brown is sad about commercialism.
-Charlie Brown is told to go buy a big aluminum fake Christmas tree
-Charlie Brown instead brings home a tiny real tree
-The truth of Christmas is that the tiny real tree IS BETTER THEN THE FAKE ONES.

This "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree" that you can buy and isn't a real tree is EXACTLY what Charlie Brown was sad about.

People who buy this are Lucy pulling away the football. Ruining Christmas. Ruiners.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

User avatar
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Posts: 7829
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:32 pm
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:43 pm

I've either not seen that or haven't seen it in so long, I remember nothing about it other than that tree being like that.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

User avatar
thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 771
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:00 pm
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: March 13th, 2003
Location: Portland OR
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby thoughtreader » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:57 pm

I have to admit I have that tree... but mainly because I could afford it and I did love the movie as a kid... now I feel a little bad

User avatar
Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 4026
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:32 pm
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: February 25th, 2002
Location: The Far East (of Canada)

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Jayelle » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:15 am

thoughtreader wrote:I have to admit I have that tree... but mainly because I could afford it and I did love the movie as a kid... now I feel a little bad


Damnit, I'm sorry. I didn't think that anyone here would have one. It IS really cute in a way and I love that movie too.

I had planned to add a disclaimer to that post that the tree I own is fake. We can't have a real one. I just think Charlie Brown would be sad.

Oh, well. It is an irrational irritation.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.


Return to “Milagre Town Square”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], Google [Bot] and 11 guests